76Likes

post #1 of 65 Old 10-05-2018, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 2191
Good Omens on Amazon

This one came out of nowhere (I hadn't heard about it) but man it sounds freaking awesome.

Good Omens is an upcoming six-part television serial based on the 1990 novel Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The series will be directed by Douglas Mackinnon and written by Gaiman, who will also serve as showrunner. It is produced by BBC Studios, Narrativia (the production company created by Pratchett before his death and now led by his daughter Rhianna) and The Blank Corporation and is set to be released in 2019 on Amazon Prime. A conventional broadcast on BBC Two will follow the release on Amazon Prime.

The series will star David Tennant as the demon Crowley and Michael Sheen as the angel Aziraphale trying to prevent the Apocalypse. Other actors include Anna Maxwell Martin, Josie Lawrence, Adria Arjona, Michael McKean, Jack Whitehall, Miranda Richardson and Nick Offerman.

Set in 2018, the series will follow the demon Crowley (Tennant) and the angel Aziraphale (Sheen), who, being accustomed to life on Earth, seek to prevent the coming of the antichrist and with it the final battle between Heaven and Hell.
Zookster likes this.

Last edited by WilliamR; 10-05-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 10-05-2018, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Hopefully I was able to remove the text formatting. Sorry for the messed up post.

post #3 of 65 Old 10-05-2018, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Hopefully I was able to remove the text formatting. Sorry for the messed up post.
Really appreciate you keeping us updated on the new shows, and the information on each show.thanks.
DrDon and Plager8 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 Old 10-05-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
This show looks like it has a lot of potential. Amazon is really upping its game. Previously, many of their series, other than Man in the High Castle, fell into the "if I don't have anything else better to watch" category for me, but usually I could find plenty of stuff on Netflix (or even broadcast). Now Amazon seems to be creating more "destination TV" quality stuff, with Mrs. Maisel, Jack Ryan, and other shows currently announced and in production, not to mention The Expanse.
post #5 of 65 Old 10-05-2018, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper57 View Post
Really appreciate you keeping us updated on the new shows, and the information on each show.thanks.
No problem. Glad to help out my fellow avsers. I love TV, I think we all do, it is kind of why we are here. Just helping out my fellow avsers and friends.

post #6 of 65 Old 10-08-2018, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Neil Gaiman on adapting his and Terry Pratchett’s Good Omens for TV
By Andrew Liptak, TheVerge.com - Oct. 7, 2018

At New York Comic Con this weekend, Amazon released the first look at its upcoming miniseries, Good Omens, based on the classic fantasy novel. At a press event, co-creator Neil Gaiman and members of the cast explained their approach to adapting the book for television.

The comedic fantasy novel was a collaboration between Neil Gaiman and the late Terry Pratchett, in which Aziraphale, an angel played by Michael Sheen, and Crowley, a demon played by David Tennant, must collaborate to stop the coming end times. The two have become unlikely friends in the last 6,000 years, and together they’ve come to like living on Earth, and don’t want to see it end. The trailer introduces us to both creatures as Crowley reaches out to Aziraphale to tell him that the world is coming to an end. It goes on to detail their long years of friendship as they meet run into one another over the years; from the looks of it, the series will have a real buddy-comedy feel as the two team up to stave off armageddon.

Speaking to The Verge at New York Comic Con, Gaiman reflected on developing the show without Pratchett, who died in 2015 due to complications from Alzheimer’s Disease. He explained that the two had discussed adapting the series (there had been a film with Robin Williams and Johnny Depp planned at one point), and they had agreed that, like the book, working on an adaptation would be a collaborative project. “We only did things together, or not at all,” he said. Before his death, however, Pratchett told Gaiman that he had to go forward without him. “I came back from his funeral and started writing the first episode of Good Omens,” he said, “and tried to convince myself that it was funny.”

Without Pratchett to fill out the duo’s writing process, Gaiman says he had to find workarounds. “There would be two different phenomena going on,” he says. “One was, if I got stuck during the writing process, what I’d always done before on Good Omens, was to call Terry.” Gaiman would “either send him what [I’d] done so far, and he looks at it and carries on writing it, or he phones you up and says ‘the answer, grasshopper, is in the way you ask the question!’ [I’d] then go, ‘Terry, don’t be irritating, tell me what you think.’” With the series, though, he couldn’t do either of those, but imagined writing for Pratchett anyway. “When you write a book or TV show, you have an imaginary audience in your head,” he says. “When I wrote my bits of Good Omens, the novel, I was writing them for a very specific audience: Terry Pratchett. That was my standard [for the series, as well].”

Series director Douglas Mackinnon noted that while he had never met Pratchett, the author’s presence was there on the set, and that they worked to honor his sense of humor, but also to ensure that the series could stand on its own, rather than being a strict retelling of the original novel. Sheen notes that Mackinnon was protective of the book, with a well-thumbed copy close at hand to refer to as needed. But “at a certain point, you have to let go of what it was before,” Sheen says, “and then, hopefully, if someone comes and reminds you, ‘That’s just like that bit in the book,’ you go, ‘Thank god for that, I must be doing it right.’”

“I think once we started shooting, I put the book down, actually,” Tennant chimes in. “In a way, it then becomes its own beast, and you’re playing each scene as it comes up. There has to come a point where you have to go ‘Well, now it’s this, we’ve made a decision, and that’s the story we’re telling.”

“That’s where having Neil [Gaiman] on set really helps,” Sheen adds, “because you know you can’t veer off too much, [and] you’re sort of getting [his] seal of approval every day.”

Good Omens will begin streaming on Amazon Prime in 2019.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/7/1...comic-con-2018

post #7 of 65 Old 10-08-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 295
post #8 of 65 Old 02-14-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good Omens premiers May 31 according to the Almighty Twitter.
post #9 of 65 Old 03-06-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4202 Post(s)
Liked: 3755
official trailer...

post #10 of 65 Old 05-30-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A good omen for "Good Omens": an almost gushingly favorable review in the Hollywood Reporter. Looking forward to tomorrow night's premiere.

Excerpts:

Quote:
The end result is a feel-good romp and creative triumph that is easily digestible and never flags in search of entertainment.
Quote:
These two actors are so emphatically into their roles that they make the hourlong episodes fly by and the absolute need for a second season apparent — if for nothing else than to watch further tales of this disparate duo meeting throughout history to enjoy each other's company.

But much of the fun in Good Omens comes from the over-the-top fantastical elements and how the various surprise cameos (and others best left for their own discovery) make everything feel buoyantly, giddily surreal in a tale well told. Listen, this is a story that not only involves the modern-day appearance of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Pestilence is replace by Pollution), two of which are played by women and all of them on thundering motorcycles, but also the appearance of the Kracken and the rise of the Lost City of Atlantis. So if that's going to be a problem for you, maybe look elsewhere.

Everyone else who is all-in should not only devour Good Omens but hope that Gaiman and Amazon can make a second season miraculously appear.

Last edited by Zookster; 05-30-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #11 of 65 Old 05-31-2019, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6874 Post(s)
Liked: 15453
Two episodes in on Good Omens. It’s your wacky, whimsical British humor. So far I don’t mind it. Looks good.

post #12 of 65 Old 05-31-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 906
I'm stoked. First read the book when it was new, and a couple of times since, along with lots of other Pratchett and most of Gaiman. Tho possibility that this adaptation might actually be worthy of the source has me almost giddy. I'm looking forward to Sunday, when I plan to watch the whole six hours.
John dhein, Zookster and Panson like this.
post #13 of 65 Old 05-31-2019, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I'm not usually interested in shows or movies with religious/biblical themes, but I'm very intrigued by this one because of Tennant and Sheen. Also, because the trailer looks great.

Edit: Just watched the first three episodes and it's been excellent. Very clever story line and (as expected) great acting.

Last edited by Plager8; 05-31-2019 at 07:39 PM.
post #14 of 65 Old 05-31-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager8 View Post
I'm not usually interested in shows or movies with religious/biblical themes...
We who are products of Christian cultures see shows like this as having religious themes, but step back a bit and it's just more supernatural fantasy. We don't see shows about zombies or witches or mummies -- or Norse and Greek and Egyptian gods -- as religion-themed, because they don't push any of our buttons.

It's different, of course, when the movie's intention is to be inspirational or to reinforce belief in the audience. It's always helpful to understand the point of view of the people making the content we consume before deciding how or whether to accept it.
Matt L, Keenan, John dhein and 2 others like this.
post #15 of 65 Old 06-02-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 534
While very Brit-Centric, I'm sure there are any number of jokes that went over my head, I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. There were enough twists to keep me interested and enough details that it's one of those shows you can't play a game on your phone and look up occasionally - you have to pay attention. Well done.
post #16 of 65 Old 06-02-2019, 07:58 PM

Just finished the season. Extremely enjoyable. Had a bit of a Pushing Daisies feel to it, but on a much grander scale.
nottenst likes this.
post #17 of 65 Old 06-03-2019, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 2054
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
We who are products of Christian cultures see shows like this as having religious themes, but step back a bit and it's just more supernatural fantasy. We don't see shows about zombies or witches or mummies -- or Norse and Greek and Egyptian gods -- as religion-themed, because they don't push any of our buttons.
When the show centers around God's divine plan, the Anti-Christ, the apocalypse, nuns and angels and demons, I'm fairly certain it's safe to say it has religious themes. Whether it's canon or not, is beside the point.

Witches and mummies aren't thought of in religious terms (either the wicken religion or in terms of the ceremonial nature of mummification) because our kids dress as them for Halloween. In regards to Greek and Egyptian stories, there's too much mead, banishment and incest and not enough preachiness for us to think of it as religion. When you have so many Gods, it becomes too much like an episode of the "Real Gods of Valhalla" and less like sitting in uncomfortable pews for a sermon about how David vs. Goliath can fit any situation where we face insurmountable tasks. Never mind the incense and confession.

Having said that, I'm enjoying the quirkiness of it all. I like the references to movies like "The Omen" and other stuff.
Plager8 likes this.
post #18 of 65 Old 06-03-2019, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3829 Post(s)
Liked: 2880
I've watched the first two episodes. I'm enjoying it, but there's way too much voiceover.
Zookster and Panson like this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #19 of 65 Old 06-03-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm generally not a fan of movies/TV shows that revolve around angels, demons and other Christian themes either, unless they are satirized to some degree or treated with an irreverent attitude, like in this show and Preacher. Particularly the more nonsensical aspects. (I loved that scene at Noah's ark.) What's different about fantasy shows/movies based on Christian Bible subjects and shows/movies involving other ancient belief systems that we consider mythology, or even paranormal beings like vampires and zombies, is that tens of millions of people living today believe it isn't fantasy to the degree that it follows what's in the Bible. So when they watch archangels preparing for Armageddon, it's as potentially real for them as watching a police detective track down a serial killer is for me. Not only that, but many of them try to impose those beliefs, and the often-hypocritical morality that accompanies them, on others. That's what pushes my buttons. So I'd rather not watch movies/TV shows that only serve to reinforce those beliefs. (I'm thinking mainly of TV shows where angels walk the Earth and intervene on behalf of those they deem worthy, or at least worthy of redemption. Or shows where demons get the bad rap for making people do bad things.)

At any rate, I've watched the first three episodes of Good Omens and am very much enjoying this so far.
Plager8 likes this.
post #20 of 65 Old 06-03-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I've watched the first two episodes. I'm enjoying it, but there's way too much voiceover.
I noticed that too. A bit too much hand-holding, describing things any viewer paying attention could figure out. It's like Gaiman is going totally opposite of this more cryptic approach in American Gods.
Josh Z, Keenan and Panson like this.
post #21 of 65 Old 06-03-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
When the show centers around God's divine plan, the Anti-Christ, the apocalypse, nuns and angels and demons, I'm fairly certain it's safe to say it has religious themes. Whether it's canon or not, is beside the point.
So it’s only “religon” when it’s your religion. Thank you for re-stating my point.
post #22 of 65 Old 06-03-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
. So I'd rather not watch movies/TV shows that only serve to reinforce those beliefs. (I'm thinking mainly of TV shows where angels walk the Earth and intervene on behalf of those they deem worthy, or at least worthy of redemption.
Sure. Shows made by and for the drinkers of the Kool-aid, like say “Touched by an Angel” (I assume, never saw it, or “God Friended Me” (ditto)) hold no interest, and indeed actively repel me. But GO is parody, among other things. It assumes and relies on the viewer’s familiarity with the target being parodied, as all parody does. (For me to understand a parody of Zoroastrianism, I would first need to take a course.)

As for the over-use of voiceover, I agree. I think Gaiman was trying to make a very faithful adaptation of the book, particularly Pratchett’s voice in it, and in that goal he has largely succeeded. But in the process he failed to remember that books are monotone — constant words at a constant rate — while cinema is all about color and contrast and action, about showing rather than telling. I found myself fighting drowsiness during the first two episodes, not because the show is boring or not funny, but because the soundtrack is such a continuous stream of talking.
post #23 of 65 Old 06-04-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
So it’s only “religon” when it’s your religion. Thank you for re-stating my point.
I never said that at all.

...and thanks for assuming it's my religion.

I was merely addressing why people in our culture might not consider your other examples as religious content due to being watered down so much over time.
post #24 of 65 Old 06-04-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Sure. Shows made by and for the drinkers of the Kool-aid, like say “Touched by an Angel” (I assume, never saw it, or “God Friended Me” (ditto)) hold no interest, and indeed actively repel me. But GO is parody, among other things. It assumes and relies on the viewer’s familiarity with the target being parodied, as all parody does. (For me to understand a parody of Zoroastrianism, I would first need to take a course.)
This is an example of why people should watch something before they pass judgment.

God Friended Me has little at all to do with religion, aside from the main character's father being a priest. The "God" in the title refers to a social media account claiming to be God. The main character is investigating who operates the account while helping those referred to him by it.

The show is more about the search for the creator of a predictive A.I. and finding yourself than God.
post #25 of 65 Old 06-04-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I noticed that too. A bit too much hand-holding, describing things any viewer paying attention could figure out. It's like Gaiman is going totally opposite of this more cryptic approach in American Gods.
Oh I love the too-much voice over. It is like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
post #26 of 65 Old 06-04-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
As for the over-use of voiceover, I agree. I think Gaiman was trying to make a very faithful adaptation of the book, particularly Pratchett’s voice in it, and in that goal he has largely succeeded. But in the process he failed to remember that books are monotone — constant words at a constant rate — while cinema is all about color and contrast and action, about showing rather than telling. I found myself fighting drowsiness during the first two episodes, not because the show is boring or not funny, but because the soundtrack is such a continuous stream of talking.
For what it's worth, I liked the third episode more than the first two.

Josh Z

post #27 of 65 Old 06-04-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I found myself fighting drowsiness during the first two episodes, not because the show is boring or not funny, but because the soundtrack is such a continuous stream of talking.
It's also not particularly outstanding dialog, either. It's funny enough, but it just doesn't dazzle enough for there to be so much of it.

Take "Mad Men", for example. While not a comedy, the dialog is sharp and well written with plenty of great lines and even better monologues, which is usually dialog death to people. At the same time, it avoids using words no normal person in real life would ever say, which is my one nit with Aaron Sorkin and his overuse of "quixotic". Sorkin writes good dialog, it's just most people don't talk like his characters and it really showed itself in "Sports Night". In "The West Wing", it fit a lot better.

Dialog is an art and when someone has mastered it, you really can spot it.
Zookster likes this.
post #28 of 65 Old 06-04-2019, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6874 Post(s)
Liked: 15453
Finished this last night. It grew on me more with very episode.

post #29 of 65 Old 06-04-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
For what it's worth, I liked the third episode more than the first two.
I thought the 2nd episode was the only weak one of the series.
post #30 of 65 Old 06-04-2019, 09:45 PM

I finished it tonight. Unfortunately, this thing really peters out in the second half. I enjoyed the show overall, but the last three episodes were kind of a slog to get through.
Panson likes this.

Josh Z

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page