The Boys- Amazon (Superhero drama) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 231Likes

post #1 of 219 Old 10-05-2018, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked: 3994
The Boys- Amazon (Superhero drama)

The Boys is an upcoming American superhero drama television series based on the comic book The Boys by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson...the show was developed by Eric Kripke, Evan Goldberg, and Seth Rogen...The Boys takes place in "a world where superheroes embrace the darker side of their massive celebrity and fame" and "revolves around a group of vigilantes known informally as 'The Boys' who set out to take down corrupt superheroes with no more than blue-collar grit and a willingness to fight dirty"...

The Boys is scheduled for a 2019 release...

allargon and Zookster like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 219 Old 10-05-2018, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Hmmm...looks like Seth Rogen finally got around to watching Watchmen. Seriously though...I'm looking forward to this!

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #3 of 219 Old 10-05-2018, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
Garth Ennis is the author of the Preacher graphic novels and worked on the TV show (with Seth Rogan). I'm in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 219 Old 01-24-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 1925
post #5 of 219 Old 01-25-2019, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
this has the potential to be really good...I like the alternate takes on the superhero genre...too bad it's only coming out in the Summer...
post #6 of 219 Old 01-25-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This looks like a grittier (and bigger-budget) version of the short-lived series "Powers," an exclusive on Sony platforms (Playstation and Crackle). The first season of which was quite good, in spite of the low-budget special effects. In that world, powered people lived openly as superheroes and there was a cult of fame around some of them. There were also super villains, of course, and a special law enforcement division of non-powered people charged with keeping the peace and risks to public safety minimal.

SuperFist likes this.
post #7 of 219 Old 04-17-2019, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The Boys (uncensored trailer)

premieres on Amazon Prime Video, July 26th...

post #8 of 219 Old 06-17-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #9 of 219 Old 06-17-2019, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

this looks like it could be really good...a hard R rated superhero show where the 'heroes' are actually the bad guys...
post #10 of 219 Old 07-19-2019, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

‘The Boys’ Lands Early Season 2 Renewal at Amazon

Amazon has renewed 'The Boys' for a second season ahead of the show’s series premiere next week...Season 1 of “The Boys” will debut on July 26th...it is based on the New York Times best-selling comic of the same name by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson...on the show, superheroes are as popular as celebrities, as influential as politicians, and as revered as Gods...but they also abuse their superpowers rather than use them for good...enter the titular Boys, who set out to expose these heroes— and the multi-billion dollar conglomerate that backs them— for who they really are

the first season stars Jack Quaid, Elisabeth Shue, Karl Urban, Laz Alonso, Tomer Capon, Karen Fukuhara, Antony Starr, Erin Moriarty, Dominique McElligott, Jessie T. Usher, Chace Crawford and Nathan Mitchell. Simon Pegg guest stars...

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/the...on-1203273839/
post #11 of 219 Old 07-20-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

‘The Boys’ Review: Amazon’s Razor-Sharp Superhero Satire Is ‘Watchmen’ for a New Age

where the writing staff really excels is in the world-building...they’ve kept large chunks of the comic book story intact while also stripping away a bit of the X-Treme Edginess and setting it firmly in a setting that’s both comic-book elevated and so perfectly 2019...and with that comes a really dark, unique relatability to the material that’s completely different than any on-screen comic book series out there...the cast is pretty electric across the board—especially Karl Urban and Elisabeth Shue

Like Alan Moore‘s Watchmen in the late-80s, The Boys TV series has the chance to be the superhero deconstruction of our time...

http://collider.com/the-boys-review-...he-boys-images
Brian Conrad and Zookster like this.
post #12 of 219 Old 07-20-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
‘The Boys’ Review: Amazon’s Razor-Sharp Superhero Satire Is ‘Watchmen’ for a New Age

where the writing staff really excels is in the world-building...they’ve kept large chunks of the comic book story intact while also stripping away a bit of the X-Treme Edginess and setting it firmly in a setting that’s both comic-book elevated and so perfectly 2019...and with that comes a really dark, unique relatability to the material that’s completely different than any on-screen comic book series out there...the cast is pretty electric across the board—especially Karl Urban and Elisabeth Shue

Like Alan Moore‘s Watchmen in the late-80s, The Boys TV series has the chance to be the superhero deconstruction of our time...

http://collider.com/the-boys-review-...he-boys-images
Looks promising indeed. The Boys will be one of those few Amazon originals I make a point of watching soon after release, before it drops down my growing watchlist/archive/purgatory of shows I'll probably never get around to (aka Bosch, Hanna, The Widow, etc.).
JudgeSmails and TitusTroy like this.
post #13 of 219 Old 07-20-2019, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Looks promising indeed. The Boys will be one of those few Amazon originals I make a point of watching soon after release, before it drops down my growing watchlist/archive/purgatory of shows I'll probably never get around to (aka Bosch, Hanna, The Widow, etc.).
if I'm only 1 season behind (or 2 max) I still find it easy to binge watch an older series...I also still haven't watched Hanna but I plan on doing it soon...it's only 8 episodes so it should be a quick binge...something like Man in the High Castle is tougher because I've never seen any of the previous seasons and I really want to watch it before the final season hits but it's a longer time commitment with 3 seasons to watch
post #14 of 219 Old 07-23-2019, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Final trailer...premieres this Friday July 26th on Amazon Video...

Garrett Adams likes this.
post #15 of 219 Old 07-24-2019, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Can...not...wait. Urban has been a favorite for years and Starr was fantastic as an anti-hero on Banshee. Cannot wait to see him go full heel here. And Shue? Mwah! Chef's kiss!

I read the comic and hoo boy, this is gonna be something else. I am expecting them to trim let's say 10-20% of the super extreme stuff from the comic. Which is AOK because often Ennis is gonna Ennis and he goes a bit too far when he has no rope. Tailoring that to more standard R rating fair will be glorious.
TitusTroy and Zookster like this.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #16 of 219 Old 07-24-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
Can...not...wait. Urban has been a favorite for years and Starr was fantastic as an anti-hero on Banshee. Cannot wait to see him go full heel here. And Shue? Mwah! Chef's kiss!

I read the comic and hoo boy, this is gonna be something else. I am expecting them to trim let's say 10-20% of the super extreme stuff from the comic. Which is AOK because often Ennis is gonna Ennis and he goes a bit too far when he has no rope. Tailoring that to more standard R rating fair will be glorious.
I thought the TV show Preacher was really wild until I went back to read the graphic novels. Some of that stuff could've never been filmed for TV audiences. I've just sent in a recommendation to my public library system to carry The Boys. *fingers crossed*
post #17 of 219 Old 07-24-2019, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Final trailer...premieres this Friday July 26th on Amazon Video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcrNsIaQkb4
I love that shot of the couple making out on the street when that Flash-type superhero runs into the female at super-speed and kills her turning her into goo...if that's the type of show this is going to be then I'm all in...
post #18 of 219 Old 07-25-2019, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I thought the TV show Preacher was really wild until I went back to read the graphic novels. Some of that stuff could've never been filmed for TV audiences. I've just sent in a recommendation to my public library system to carry The Boys. *fingers crossed*
Heh, yeah, the Preacher books are something else. I disliked the TV show. Tried and never made it through the first season. It was just 'off'. I think it was primarily the casting to be honest. Only Cassidy seemed to really be right for the role. That actor threw himself at it and did a bang up job. But the others I thought all were wrong for the role and the show itself didn't hook me. Anyway, looking forward to The Boys tomorrow. Trying to get my better half to watch it with me, she's a big Starr fan. But the violence level may be a tad too gory for her, ha.

post #19 of 219 Old 07-25-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is now up on Amazon, including 4k HDR. And while I was expecting nothing less, this has one of the most extensive ratings I've ever seen at the beginning of a show.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boys rating.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	2594668
TitusTroy and allargon like this.
post #20 of 219 Old 07-26-2019, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just finished watching the 1st episode...fantastic show...even after just 1 episode I think this might be my favorite Amazon Original series...the cast is excellent, the audio is reference quality (every action scene has really powerful audio)...the only negative is that it's not in Dolby Vision...it uses standard HDR (probably HDR10+ for those displays that support it)...HDR looks good but it doesn't have that pop...almost every episode is 60+ minutes (there are 2 episodes at 56 minutes and one is 54)

the show is a true R rated superhero show, I actually thinks it's closer to an NC-17 rating...a lot of nudity, bad language and an overall gritty feel...there's one scene in Episode 1 which sums up this show perfectly...the new female superhero recruit goes to meet up with the rest of the heroes at their home base...The Deep is there by himself...the female goes to say how excited she is to join the group and how she had a crush on The Deep when she was younger...The Deep immediately takes off his clothes and starts touching himself in front of her...
JudgeSmails and gwsat like this.
post #21 of 219 Old 07-26-2019, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
...there's one scene in Episode 1 which sums up this show perfectly...the new female superhero recruit goes to meet up with the rest of the heroes at their home base...The Deep is there by himself...the female goes to say how excited she is to join the group and how she had a crush on The Deep when she was younger...The Deep immediately takes off his clothes and starts touching himself in front of her...
Thanks for the warning -- not what I want to see, so I'm out before it starts.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #22 of 219 Old 07-26-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4608 Post(s)
Liked: 6090
I caught the first one last night. It's OK. Not really sure how much they can get out of the story as fast as they're going. Elisabeth Shue will probably still look great when she's 100.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #23 of 219 Old 07-26-2019, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Watched EP 1 last night as they released it early. Excellent! Definitely met my expectations. Got my wife to watch too and while there was some gore early, outside of that she watched and at the end said she liked it as well. The casting is great as expected. Effects were really good. Amazon feed looked beautiful. Didn't watch in theater room so unsure on sound. The world building they are doing early on is really good. Elisabeth Shue's character, new from the books, is very interesting too. Cannot wait to watch the rest!
TitusTroy likes this.

post #24 of 219 Old 07-26-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll join the chorus of accolades for the first episode of The Boys. A very solid, fun, entertaining, dark beginning to a promising series filled with interesting characters, more than decent special effects, and a well-conceived world in which superheroism is a multi-billion-dollar corporate enterprise (because of course it would be).

Quote:
. . .there's one scene in Episode 1 which sums up this show perfectly...the new female superhero recruit goes to meet up with the rest of the heroes at their home base...The Deep is there by himself...the female goes to say how excited she is to join the group and how she had a crush on The Deep when she was younger...The Deep immediately takes off his clothes and starts touching himself in front of her...
At the risk of this sounding to someone who's debating whether to watch this show that this is a typical scene of feel-good sexual frivolity among the superheroes, it was actually
Spoiler!
not something that just happens whenever The Seven have their meetings or hang out, like the kind of stuff that happens at the underground club for powered people that was shown.
Brian Conrad, TitusTroy and Ben23 like this.
post #25 of 219 Old 07-26-2019, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At the risk of this sounding to someone who's debating whether to watch this show that this is a typical scene of feel-good sexual frivolity among the superheroes, it was actually
Spoiler!
not something that just happens whenever The Seven have their meetings or hang out, like the kind of stuff that happens at the underground club for powered people that was shown.
just to make it clear, I wasn't trying to make light of sexual assault...my point with that scene was that this show is not Heroes or another watered down PG rated superhero show...this is an NC-17 version where the good guys act really bad...I love the style...makes me want to read the graphic novels

Last edited by TitusTroy; 07-26-2019 at 03:29 PM.
post #26 of 219 Old 07-26-2019, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
'The Boys' try to keep superheroes in check
By Terry Terrones, Colorado Springs Gazette - Jul. 25, 2019

The premise: Based on the best-selling comic by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson, “The Boys” follows the misadventures of Hughie (Jack Quaid), an average guy who works at a small electronics store. His life is turned upside down when his girlfriend dies due to the careless actions of a superhero. Unable to take legal action but still wanting justice, Hughie reluctantly teams with the mysterious Billy Butcher (Karl Urban). The mismatched pair takes on superheroes who don’t live up to their well-mannered image.

The showrunner for “The Boys” is Eric Kripke (“Supernatural”), who is also an executive producer. Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, who founded Point Gray Pictures (“This is the End,” “Neighbors,” “Blockers”), also are executive producers.

Highs: Marvel, DC and other comic publishers have given us an image of the super-abled as individuals who fight for truth and justice. But what if a superhero also needed to make a living using their abilities, with all the issues that come with that challenge? After all, even a superhero has to eat and have a place to live. Right?

That’s the premise at the heart of “The Boys,” where superheroes have all the needs, wants and desires of regular people. In this world, they’re an unusual combination of superstar athlete, pop star and folk hero come to life. And as with any famous person, that comes with a long list of perks — money, special privileges and most important, an ability to stay above the law. This naturally leads to some unsavory behavior.

If you think the latest professional athlete screw-up is bad, just imagine what a superhuman could not only do, but also get away with. Sweeping anything bad under the rug is Madelyn Stillwell (Elisabeth Shue), who runs Vought International. This multibillion dollar corporation has organized superheroes, providing them with a home base, equipment and a well-organized public relations team. Image is everything for Stillwell. So when Hughie’s girlfriend dies, a check is cut, a rote apology is given and life moves on. But not for everyone.

For Hughie, the curtain has been pulled back. Thanks to Billy, he gets a firsthand look at the corruption behind closed doors and doesn’t like it. Much to her surprise, neither does a young, new superhero.

The latest supe to join the upper echelon of heroes known as The Seven is Annie (Erin Moriarty), code name Starlight. Honest, humble and hardworking, she’s always wanted to help others. After joining Vought, though, she slowly realizes that the heroic ideal is a PR veneer. The plot lines involving Hughie and Annie overlap in a clever and fascinating way.

Lows: This is a superhero series unlike any other. Some might be disconcerted to see costumed heroes behaving dishonorably. Any kind of debauchery that brought down a famous politician, athlete, musician or other public figure is done by superheroes in “The Boys.” If you like your fictional role models to be a clear black and white, this is not the show for you.

Grade: The darker side of superheroes is an area that’s been explored before but not with nearly the intensity and thoughtfulness you’ll see in “The Boys.” An action-packed drama with touches of humor, this is a TV series you won’t want to miss.

"The Boys"
The eight-episode first season premieres Friday on Amazon.

https://gazette.com/arts-entertainme...9165331bd.html

post #27 of 219 Old 07-26-2019, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
Thanks for the warning -- not what I want to see, so I'm out before it starts.
you should watch the first episode and see if the show works for you...it's a hardcore show but it's not all sex and bad language, there's a Watchmen type of vibe to it which shows the darker side of the good guys we put up on pedestals (which is what we do with athletes, movie stars etc)…

Garth Ennis says superheroes ruined comics. With ‘The Boys,’ he’s fighting back

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...is-superheroes
Zookster likes this.
post #28 of 219 Old 07-26-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
you should watch the first episode and see if the show works for you...it's a hardcore show but it's not all sex and bad language, there's a Watchmen type of vibe to it which shows the darker side of the good guys we put up on pedestals (which is what we do with athletes, movie stars etc)…

Garth Ennis says superheroes ruined comics. With ‘The Boys,’ he’s fighting back

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...is-superheroes
That's a great article. Not just about the show, but about the state of the genre. I never really thought about how removed much of the superhero genre is removed from our everyday reality—I just accept the fantasy and unreality of it and enjoy the escapism. This quote from the article is a good summation:

Quote:
“I’m just doing my best to reflect the tone that Garth Ennis created. He’s a master at mixing hardcore violence with absurd humor with political commentary, and I’m just trying to match that,” said [showrunner] Kripke. “We’re depicting how we feel real humans would behave if they had the power: They would abuse it.”
TitusTroy likes this.
post #29 of 219 Old 07-26-2019, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4465 Post(s)
Liked: 5800
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
yeah, I saw all those warnings before the show and expected MUCH much worse...

Episode 1 was very solid, entertaining and well made - I expect the next 7 to be an easy binge
I didn't start watching until mid morning but have already binged through the first five episodes. I am loving the show and am almost sure I'll finish the remaining three episodes tomorrow.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #30 of 219 Old 07-26-2019, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4608 Post(s)
Liked: 6090
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I didn't start watching until mid morning but have already binged through the first five episodes. I am loving the show and am almost sure I'll finish the remaining three episodes tomorrow.
Damn, you're an animal 'sat.

Is eight it? Or is that what's available?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page