Doctor Who - Series 11 - BBC and BBCA - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 62Likes

post #1 of 110 Old 10-09-2018, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 980
Doctor Who - Series 11 - BBC and BBCA

Finally had a chance to sit down and watch the first episode of the new series (not season). Damn, that was different. I believe it is the first time that there wasn't an opening credit sequence.

I'm ready for the next ten episodes (Xmas special included).

And yes, commercial/snip/bug free is the only way to watch the Doctor!!!!

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 Old 10-09-2018, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 878
I enjoyed it as well. I think, at this point, Jodie Whittaker hasn’t “grown” into the part yet and made it her own. She’s kind of doing an impression of she thinks the Doctor should be versus giving her own interpretation. But that’s to be expected. She’ll figure it out.

I do wish they’d downplay the sonic screwdriver. It’s just a cure all for everything. The alien suit design was cool but Tim Shaw’s face was just silly.
post #3 of 110 Old 10-11-2018, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Liked: 1983
All the buzz has me curious. Is this something I can watch if I don't know anything about past Dr. Who seasons? A few years ago, I tried to watch an episode from the then current season and just couldn't get into it, though I loved Torchwood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 110 Old 10-11-2018, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
All the buzz has me curious. Is this something I can watch if I don't know anything about past Dr. Who seasons? A few years ago, I tried to watch an episode from the then current season and just couldn't get into it, though I loved Torchwood.
Supposedly, this season will basically be stand alone episodes that are not interconnected somehow. I think you should have a cursory knowledge of a Doctor Who (Time Lord, regeneration, Tardis, Sonic Screwdriver, and companions).

I was afraid that the alien in the pod was going to be a Dalek or Cyberman. Both of whom were way overused in previous seasons.
allargon and Zookster like this.
post #5 of 110 Old 10-12-2018, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
The alien suit design was cool but Tim Shaw’s face was just silly.

You must remember that the target audience for this show is from ages 5 to 95 and that the 5 - 10 demographic would find a face with teeth on the outside very scary. :-)
post #6 of 110 Old 10-12-2018, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I tried to watch the season 1 pilot last night on Prime to get some of the background/origin story, and I quickly saw why my earlier attempt to watch this show (during a later season), based on my interest in Torchwood, met with disappointment. Given the intended demographic mentioned above, this just isn't the same kind of show. And "silly" is the perfect word to describe it.

In the pilot, department store mannequins come to life, and a severed mannequin arm (with no means of propulsion or motility) takes on a life of its own, grabbing the protagonists' throats like in a 1950s B-horror movie; the actors just hold the fake arm to themselves and pretend to struggle with it without any CGI or animatronics to give the arm any kind of movement or life.

This was so silly, I could only presume that this show is intended as a spoof/parody (for the adult viewer), and not intended to be taken seriously, though young kids would likely accept it at face value? Or is this BBC's version of a poorly written, directed, and budgeted US network show, designed to play like a Sid & Marty Kroft live action kids show from the 1970s, where "magic alien space dust" is given as the cause of every fantastical creature or situation the show's characters encounter?
post #7 of 110 Old 10-12-2018, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried to watch the season 1 pilot last night on Prime to get some of the background/origin story, and I quickly saw why my earlier attempt to watch this show (during a later season), based on my interest in Torchwood, met with disappointment. Given the intended demographic mentioned above, this just isn't the same kind of show. And "silly" is the perfect word to describe it.

In the pilot, department store mannequins come to life, and a severed mannequin arm (with no means of propulsion or motility) takes on a life of its own, grabbing the protagonists' throats like in a 1950s B-horror movie; the actors just hold the fake arm to themselves and pretend to struggle with it without any CGI or animatronics to give the arm any kind of movement or life.

This was so silly, I could only presume that this show is intended as a spoof/parody (for the adult viewer), and not intended to be taken seriously, though young kids would likely accept it at face value? Or is this BBC's version of a poorly written, directed, and budgeted US network show, designed to play like a Sid & Marty Kroft live action kids show from the 1970s, where "magic alien space dust" is given as the cause of every fantastical creature or situation the show's characters encounter?
Keep in mind that Doctor Who used to be a low budget program on the BBC intended for the whole family to watch. If you’re willing to accept that space man who can regenerate and travel around in a time machine that’s bigger on the inside, a disembodied mannequin arm that moves on its own should be okay too. The production value has improved a lot in the following years. I think it’s almost too slick now. Doctor Who should be low tech. And when Steven Moffet took over, the storylines got really convoluted.
Zookster likes this.
post #8 of 110 Old 10-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
Keep in mind that Doctor Who used to be a low budget program on the BBC intended for the whole family to watch. If you’re willing to accept that space man who can regenerate and travel around in a time machine that’s bigger on the inside, a disembodied mannequin arm that moves on its own should be okay too. The production value has improved a lot in the following years. I think it’s almost too slick now. Doctor Who should be low tech. And when Steven Moffet took over, the storylines got really convoluted.
I have friends over in the U.K. who are longtime fans of the various iterations of the series and they insist that Doctor Who only was able to become a Brit TV institution by constantly adapting to changing audiences over the years. It has been pointed out to me that the show was originally meant as a fantasy for children intended to be transmitted around dinnertime, with increasingly more high-concept sci-fi added in as the years went on, and as those little kids--who first had been scared out of their wits by the Daleks--grew up and went off to college.

The original showrunner for Doctor Who (Verity Lambert) was a brilliant TV production pioneer who devised a strategy to keep the show on the air called "keep Dad watching." This is the reason why the good Doctor always seemed to have such nubile "companions" along with him on his travels.

Television was relatively new to English households back in the day (good 'ol 405-line monochrome only--Britain didn't even have "colour" 'til years later), reception was OTA-only, and you actually needed to pay extra for a "licence" to watch BBC-TV. It was the "man of the house" who controlled the television dial. "Mum" would likely be preoccupied for at least an hour while preparing dinner (hey, it was the 1960s after all--no microwave ovens). In England, the "kiddie" fare was on from 3 to 6:30 p.m., after which time the more "grown up" content started. Doctor Who was slotted sort of as a "buffer" between those time slots, and originally was done live--staged like a theatrical play--at about 45 minutes or so per episode.

Anyway, just watch some of those rather quaint early seasons and compare them to the Moffat-era reboots...it's easy to see how it evolved into an engaging "must-watch" for sci-fi nerds. With the show adding elements like historical events and figures, particle physics, and LGBTQ characters to the scenarios, it certainly isn't anything like the quaint little "kid-vid" fare that it once was! Having the Doctor as a female is pretty cool for now, but it's going to be a real challenge for the show, and I wish Jody well--that is a role with a massive amount of gravitas. Sadly, we did not get to see the Tardis in this recent season opener, and that might not be a good sign!
Sharp1080, archiguy, Tack and 2 others like this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #9 of 110 Old 10-12-2018, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I tried to watch the season 1 pilot last night on Prime to get some of the background/origin story
Sorry, but you watch SERIES 1, not season 1, which goes back to Nov 1963.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
post #10 of 110 Old 10-12-2018, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
Doctor Who was slotted sort of as a "buffer" between those time slots, and originally was done live--staged like a theatrical play--at about 45 minutes or so per episode.
Sorry, but Doctor Who was never aired live. It was always recorded on 405 line tape, before conversion to 625 line tape.

post #11 of 110 Old 10-13-2018, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Sorry, but Doctor Who was never aired live. It was always recorded on 405 line tape, before conversion to 625 line tape.
Thanks--I stand corrected. I came across the term "shot live on tape" (which of course is not the same as "broadcast live") in an ancient copy of RADIO TIMES, which had a feature about how the BBC's "in house" TV productions were staged. It's too bad that some of those old tapes were lost and/or erased; I know that the fans have been scouring the Earth to try to find some of the lost episodes and put them back together. Too bad there were no home video recorders until the 1980's!

And this is interesting...what if the original Doctor Who had been shot "in colour?"...one truly dedicated fan's YouTube clip:

Last edited by Al_the_xmtr_tech; 10-13-2018 at 08:30 AM.
post #12 of 110 Old 10-13-2018, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

More about what was lost from the archives of Doctor Who:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/cult/fe...ound-animated/

post #13 of 110 Old 10-13-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6466 Post(s)
Liked: 7176
Quote:
More about what was lost from the archives of Doctor Who:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/cult/fe...ound-animated/
Cookie wall. It's a no go for those and the ones that force you to turn off your ad blocker before they open the article up. Can you just sum it up for us?
post #14 of 110 Old 10-13-2018, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Cookie wall. It's a no go for 0,those and the ones that force you to turn off your ad blocker before they open the article up. Can you just sum it up for us?

The "gist" of it is that some of the missing episodes have been "re-constructed" for the DVD box sets using the original shooting scripts (which were properly archived and have survived over the decades), home audio recordings made by U.K. fans who tape recorded (anyone remember tape?) the BBC-TV broadcast audio at the time, and storyboard-style production art and photo stills. Some of the missing shows actually have been re-shot with modern animation to match the found audio. If you check the many DW fan websites, you can find a complete list of what has been re-constructed and which DVD box sets to find it. Perhaps one of the "Whovians" on this board who can suggest a good website listing everything that has been recovered so far?

post #15 of 110 Old 10-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Almost forgot: THE DVD boxset to start with for the "completist collector" is called "Doctor Who Lost In Time" and is occasionally available on AMAZON, It was released 14 years ago but is a "must" for DW fanatics looking for the lost stuff. Since the time it was released, other lost episodes have been found all over the world in places like old TV network store rooms, and even sometimes in the hands of some surprised video collectors who didn't realize the significance of what they have.

post #16 of 110 Old 10-13-2018, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6466 Post(s)
Liked: 7176
Quote:
The "gist" of it is that some of the missing episodes have been "re-constructed" for the DVD box sets using the original shooting scripts (which were properly archived and have survived over the decades), home audio recordings made by U.K. fans who tape recorded (anyone remember tape?) the BBC-TV broadcast audio at the time, and storyboard-style production art and photo stills. Some of the missing shows actually have been re-shot with modern animation to match the found audio. If you check the many DW fan websites, you can find a complete list of what has been re-constructed and which DVD box sets to find it. Perhaps one of the "Whovians" on this board who can suggest a good website listing everything that has been recovered so far?
Yeah, that must have been the deal with that old Tom Baker episode they telecast a few weeks ago on BBCA. It looked like they had about 75% of the original footage and spliced in animation to fill in the missing parts. Do you see it?
post #17 of 110 Old 10-13-2018, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Yeah, that must have been the deal with that old Tom Baker episode they telecast a few weeks ago on BBCA. It looked like they had about 75% of the original footage and spliced in animation to fill in the missing parts. Do you see it?
No--I didn't see that one! Do you remember the title? I do know that some years ago BBC Technical put together a special "restoration team" to do some extensive remastering type stuff from Baker's tenure in the mid 70's onward, and they got a lot of acclaim for what they achieved. He's actually the first Doctor I can remember watching; my local market first saw the show via our PBS station, which actually was quite successful with it during their pledge drives in the late 70's. I try to keep up with some of the episodes I've never seen before via BBCA, and also catch it from time to time on one of the local LPTVs here that has RetroTV on a subchannel, running some of the older seasons in weekend blocs.

post #18 of 110 Old 10-13-2018, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

A significant "find" back in '14:

Obviously this news was a very big deal to the Brits:

Last edited by Al_the_xmtr_tech; 10-13-2018 at 07:29 PM.
post #19 of 110 Old 10-13-2018, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

All of the Tom Baker video tapes are intact. The BBC finally wised up and never wiped his tapes. I was stationed in Scotland in 1972/73 and got my start with Doctor Who during the 9th and 10th seasons (they were called seasons back then). I left just before the 11th season was supposed to start. I was hooked.

The Tom Baker episode mentioned above is "Shada." It was never lost. It was never completed due to an industrial action. In U.S. terms, a strike. Some pieces of "Shada" were used in "The Five Doctors" episode.

post #20 of 110 Old 10-14-2018, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
...I was stationed in Scotland in 1972/73 and got my start with Doctor Who during the 9th and 10th seasons (they were called seasons back then). I left just before the 11th season was supposed to start. I was hooked...

Sounds like it was a very cool place to be deployed (literally and figuratively)! THIS may bring back some memories:

post #21 of 110 Old 10-14-2018, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Sounds like it was a very cool place to be deployed (literally and figuratively)! THIS may bring back some memories:
Ah yes, the BBC1 Globe. But, I saw it at 25 fps.

East coast, about half way between Dundee and Aberdeen.

post #22 of 110 Old 10-14-2018, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Since it hasn't aired here in the states yet...
Spoiler!

post #23 of 110 Old 10-14-2018, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I finally took a chance and watched the first episode of "series" 11 last night. It wasn't as silly and cheesy as I thought it would be now that my expectations about what this show is are under control. As I realize highlighting eye-rolling moments in this thread week in and week out would just be trolling, I'll just say too bad about Nan's fate. She seemed like the character most worthy (interesting, brave, smart, distinctive personality) of being Dr. Who's companion for the season. But I guess they'll be featuring the younger, handsome, and opposite-sex Ryan, who has plenty of room to grow and develop during the ensuing adventures. Will Yaz be a regular too? I can only assume Graham is just a red shirt at this point.
post #24 of 110 Old 10-15-2018, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
After the season opener I thought I thought at the start of the second episode the Tardis would come toward them while floating in space. In last night's episode it turned out I was off by a little less than 60 minutes.
post #25 of 110 Old 10-15-2018, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
After the season opener I thought I thought at the start of the second episode the Tardis would come toward them while floating in space. In last night's episode it turned out I was off by a little less than 60 minutes.
Actually, only about 49 minutes.

post #26 of 110 Old 10-21-2018, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Well....I gave it two episodes and then removed it from my recording line-up. I just didn't care for Ms. Whittaker as the Doctor but to be fair fatigue set in with Peter Capaldi's Doctor (mainly his companion) and the year or so off didn't help. (Capaldi did give me one of my favorite Doctor Who episode sans said companion.)

In the 80's it was Colin Baker's Doctor that killed it for me, so here's hopping that it doesn't take a few decades for me to be lured back to the Doctor.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3800/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #27 of 110 Old 10-23-2018, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Though I appreciate the show's good intentions to explore a key moment in American history and to shine a spotlight on a civil rights icon -- Parks was much more than some lady who wouldn't give up her seat -- I thought it missed the mark on a number of other fronts.

First of all, as important as Parks's action was, it didn't determine whether or not the civil rights movement happened, as the show would have you believe. There were a number of potential flashpoints and movement leaders -- some guy by the name of King, if I'm not mistaken -- and eventually the situation in the deep south would've reached a breaking point. Stopping that one bus ride with Parks is not like killing Hitler before he rose to power to prevent the Holocaust. Not to mention, the situation for blacks in other countries, including the UK, evolved in different ways without the extreme Jim Crow laws and lynchings there were in the US.

Second, the motivations of the guy who was trying to stop her weren't clear. The audience was only left to presume that the depth and scope of his racist hatred spanned time and space, even though he never overtly acted like a hate-filled racist, even in front of Ryan (I see way worse racist behaviors every time I look at my Facebook newsfeed). He just seemed like a jerk. A criminal looking for a cause. It would have been much more believable if one of the racist Alabama police officers had foreknowledge of what Parks's action would lead to and tried to stop it.

If this "series" continues to take the Dr. Who team back in time each week to ensure some important historical event happens in this way, I don't know how much longer I'll stick with it.
Sharp1080, HDMe2 and barrelbelly like this.
post #28 of 110 Old 10-26-2018, 12:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Yeah... I had similar thoughts this week. I gather we were supposed to assume the bad guy was a racist-from-the-future... and yet, he was the least racist racist in the episode. Lots of the other people living in that time period were shown to be racist... but the bad guy was just kind of a douche. Also, not entirely clear if he was even human. Given the show we're watching, it is entirely possible he is a non-Earth-humanoid from the future who is pissed about humans roaming the galaxy in the future and came back in time to derail history any way he could... and doing something to keep people divided might prevent future humanity from roaming the stars... and he wouldn't have to be specifically racist to target Parks.

Also, he had a vortex manipulator... he could have gone to lots of places... and there was really no need for him to be hanging around that specific time for so long that the Doctor caught up to him. I get he had the "chip" implanted to keep him from killing... but he could have kidnapped Parks and hid her somewhere... he could have hired someone else to kill her even... lots of ways he could have derailed history than just hanging around and waiting for the bus bit.

The historical stuff was good... but the sci-fi bits were lacking and motivation of the bad guy... and this was just a weird episode kind of.
Zookster likes this.
post #29 of 110 Old 10-26-2018, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This is the first season (of the new batch) where I have been disappointed. The season premier was just ok. The Rosa Parks episode was more like a drama on NBC. No "of course there is hope. I AM the Doctor" moment with that peppy music. I'm not feeling "Dr. Who" at all so far.

And I agree - too many unanswered questions about the time-traveling antagonist.

I wonder if the new writing staff has the imagination to fill in the gaps that they seem to be glossing over so far.
Garrett Adams and HDMe2 like this.

John
post #30 of 110 Old 10-29-2018, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Though for those of us in the UK (and US) who were fans of the original 60s-80s series - that was a beautiful nod back to a Jon Pertwee 1970s story
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page