2018-2019 NBA Season thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 172Likes

post #751 of 777 Old 04-14-2019, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3799 Post(s)
Liked: 3293
3 out of 4 road teams won on Saturday...and as expected the Nuggets are proving that they are not a legit 2 seed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 777 Old 04-14-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post
This might be a stretch but John Stockton was never really a shooter. In fact in a couple of those series that they should have won, he and Karl would go stone cold late in games. But JS rarely took his own shot. He wasn't a terrible shooter, but he also wasn't great either. Of course I could be mis-remembering. He was good from the free throw line though.
I think Stockton was a shooter. He just adapted his game to what was needed. (Although I also think he was one of the dirtiest players along with Bruce Bowen)

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #753 of 777 Old 04-14-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5702 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I think Stockton was a shooter. He just adapted his game to what was needed. (Although I also think he was one of the dirtiest players along with Bruce Bowen)
He was an amazing player, and for my money the most underrated point guard in NBA history. He set records that will likely never be broken.

But he was not a "natural" shooter. His form was terrible. Every long shot looked like it came off his hand a different way. Of course, like all great guards, he could score around the basket in a variety of ways which is why his career FG percentage is so high. But like Magic, he simply was not a good outside shooter.

He was effective, though. He couldn't create his own shot out on the perimeter like the best point guards today. But if he was left wide open he'd sink 'em at a decent clip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 777 Old 04-14-2019, 08:37 PM

Dang, I was hoping Donovan Mitchell and the Jazz would continue the string of opening round upsets and knock off the Rockets in Game 1. But as Mick Jagger famously told us, you don't always get what you want.
post #755 of 777 Old 04-14-2019, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Houston is looking good...they're definitely peaking at the right time...the Warriors need to play better if they want to beat the Rockets in Round 2...
post #756 of 777 Old 04-14-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Houston is looking good...they're definitely peaking at the right time...the Warriors need to play better if they want to beat the Rockets in Round 2...
That's the series that we all want to see. Hate that it's going to be Round 2 instead of the conference finals. Whoever comes out of it is going to emerge pretty beat up & exhausted.
post #757 of 777 Old 04-15-2019, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

DeMarcus Cousins exited the Warriors' Game 2 matchup against the Clippers on Monday night after a right quad injury in the first quarter at Oracle Arena in Oakland...he will not return and will receive an MRI on Tuesday...
post #758 of 777 Old 04-15-2019, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

and the Clippers with the biggest upset yet in these playoffs...they beat the Warriors in Game 2...and to make matters worse there's fear that DeMarcus Cousins might have torn his left quad...MRI later today...
post #759 of 777 Old 04-15-2019, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 2099
Only one thing to say about tonight's game:

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #760 of 777 Old 04-16-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
DeMarcus Cousins exited the Warriors' Game 2 matchup against the Clippers on Monday night after a right quad injury in the first quarter at Oracle Arena in Oakland...he will not return and will receive an MRI on Tuesday...
Epic meltdown.
Tip of the cap to the Clips. Lou Williams is a force of nature.
Some questionable coaching decisions (hindsight is 20/20).
The Dubs are trying to find the KD "balance". They are clearly better when he looks to pass first. However, IMO, he needs to shoot a little bit more to keep his rhythm.
Iggy and Draymond, STOP SHOOTING!
Wasted a career night by Looney.
Have to adjust back to life without Boogie

Game 3 should be interesting.

Bottom line take away: There is no "safe" lead in the NBA...
post #761 of 777 Old 04-16-2019, 11:08 AM

Well. I turned it off last night and flushed the rest of the recording when the Dubs went up by 31. Figured it was just going to be bench-clearing garbage time from then out.

Then, I popped into the thread early this morning wondering what the comments would be on their crushing game 2 victory. Read Troy's post #758 . Screamed one word to loud echoing throughout the house, "WHAT?!?" Scared the hell out of the cat. I can't imagine how they lost that game. I'm glad I didn't watch it, as my TV is still intact.

And now they've lost Boogie. All I can say is, thank god they decided to sign Bogut, and he agreed. Although this is not what he signed up for. He thought it would be spot duty, 10 good minutes a night and another likely NBA ring. Now, he's the Man in the Middle playing starter's minutes again. Looney had a career night, and the Dubs will need to see something like that from him in every game from here on out.
post #762 of 777 Old 04-16-2019, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
Bottom line take away: There is no "safe" lead in the NBA...
overall I don't think there's anything to worry about...after all they were up 31 points in the 3rd quarter...plus Durant fouled out towards the end of the game as well..I think the loss helps...will make them more focused...the real loss was Boogie Cousins...he's now officially out for most likely the remainder of the playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
And now they've lost Boogie. All I can say is, thank god they decided to sign Bogut, and he agreed. Although this is not what he signed up for. He thought it would be spot duty, 10 good minutes a night and another likely NBA ring. Now, he's the Man in the Middle playing starter's minutes again. Looney had a career night, and the Dubs will need to see something like that from him in every game from here on out.
the Warriors plus/minus with Boogie on the court was awful...so even though he was playing well this gives them the chance of putting the Hamptons 5 on the court more plus like you said they have Bogut as a safety valve...luckily for Cousins it's not another major injury keeping him out for months...there's actually a small chance he returns if they make the Finals...I think Cousins was going to be the X factor in that Rockets series...Houston has no answer for him...now the Warriors need to seriously start getting worried...Houston is coming for them
post #763 of 777 Old 04-16-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 284
The early foul situation had just as much to do with the unraveling as the loss of Boogie. They were in a terrible rotation and they never recovered offensively. The refs called some really ticky-tacky fouls that really hurt the Dubs. To be fair they called a bunch of crap on LAC too. But Beverly pretty much fouls KD 15 times per possession and they let him get on with it. Kind of like LaBron and Hardon travelling. It's their move.
post #764 of 777 Old 04-16-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The early foul situation had just as much to do with the unraveling as the loss of Boogie. They were in a terrible rotation and they never recovered offensively. The refs called some really ticky-tacky fouls that really hurt the Dubs. To be fair they called a bunch of crap on LAC too. But Beverly pretty much fouls KD 15 times per possession and they let him get on with it. Kind of like LaBron and Hardon travelling. It's their move.
Without Boogie, why not clear out the key and have KD post up Beverly?
It seems so simplistic to me. 6' 10" vs 6' 1". With Draymond throwing the entry pass...Space out Steph, Klay and Cook (anybody but Iggy). Either KD scores, gets fouled (or both) or the Splash Bros have target practice...Only down side is not much reabounding, but with wide open looks, they should not need much.
What's wrong with this picture?
post #765 of 777 Old 04-16-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Without Boogie, why not clear out the key and have KD post up Beverly?
It seems so simplistic to me. 6' 10" vs 6' 1". With Draymond throwing the entry pass...Space out Steph, Klay and Cook (anybody but Iggy). Either KD scores, gets fouled (or both) or the Splash Bros have target practice...Only down side is not much reabounding, but with wide open looks, they should not need much.
What's wrong with this picture?
I kept waiting for something like that. The only explanation I have is that Thompson was the only other starter out there for most of the 2nd half and Green and Loony were not going to get LAC out of the post. Basically LAC crammed the middle of the floor. They didn't even cover Green, Looney or Iggy in the high screen area. There wasn't anyone within 10 feet. When Steph finally got back out there though, they never did try that. It was just a weird game once everyone got in foul trouble. I really don't think Boogie mattered as they managed to tack a crap load of points on the lead after he was out. But as soon as Steph went out with 4 fouls it started to turn.
post #766 of 777 Old 04-16-2019, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But as soon as Steph went out with 4 fouls it started to turn.
Steph has got to stop reaching. Sadly, the refs seem to be looking to make the series more competitive. I get it that the playoffs are more physical, but...
Kerr said after the game that he would rather have Steph just let the guy go by him for a layup, then have him reach to knock the ball free.
I'm not sure why they have Steph covering a ball handler? Why not just put him on a wing? Draymond or Bogut will help if he gets posted up. The occasional spectacular steal is not worth the bench time...
Games 3 and 4 in LA will be a character test of this group. They need all hands on deck. I think they should start Looney and bring Bogut and Bell off the bench.
Thoughts?
post #767 of 777 Old 04-16-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Steph has got to stop reaching. Sadly, the refs seem to be looking to make the series more competitive. I get it that the playoffs are more physical, but...
Kerr said after the game that he would rather have Steph just let the guy go by him for a layup, then have him reach to knock the ball free.
I'm not sure why they have Steph covering a ball handler? Why not just put him on a wing? Draymond or Bogut will help if he gets posted up. The occasional spectacular steal is not worth the bench time...
Games 3 and 4 in LA will be a character test of this group. They need all hands on deck. I think they should start Looney and bring Bogut and Bell off the bench.
Thoughts?
I think they play lazy and kind of show boaty for significant periods of games. Way too many turnovers from lazy passes and unnecessary drive attempts. But, I doubt they will be like that in LA. I think they will play with proper intensity and focus on the road. But, stranger things have happened. I'd probably start Bogut so that the Looney rotation stays intact. Bogut is just as good a shot from the high screen area as Boogie. He just doesn't have near the low post game. Looney and Bell do best when someone ball hogs away from them (KD, Thompson) and then run in behind. I wouldn't expect either one to be comfortable running the high post for the regular offense like Bogut can.
post #768 of 777 Old 04-16-2019, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4287 Post(s)
Liked: 5534
Quote:
I think they play lazy and kind of show boaty for significant periods of games. Way too many turnovers from lazy passes and unnecessary drive attempts. But, I doubt they will be like that in LA. I think they will play with proper intensity and focus on the road.
Spoiler!
They're going to need to. The Clippers aren't in the habit of laying down. They play for 48 minutes.
humbland likes this.
post #769 of 777 Old 04-16-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
Quote:
Warriors need to play better if they want to beat the Rockets in Round 2...
I had to look and see if the Jazz lost the series but I can't find it?

These are just my opinions.
post #770 of 777 Old 04-16-2019, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post
I had to look and see if the Jazz lost the series but I can't find it?
look again in about a week... Utah is always a tough place to win for road teams so I can see the Jazz winning at least 1 in Utah...but Houston is playing their best basketball and their defense looked good in Game 1 as well...I thought this series would be one of the better ones and go 6 games but Utah needs to put in a better effort in Game 2
post #771 of 777 Old 04-16-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
^^^
Sad thing was the last game of the season all the teams were playing to win or lose to avoid the Rockets.

Jazz didn't care who they faced and yes don't look good for them but you never can predict how big a heart they have.

Kinda like Tiger.

These are just my opinions.
post #772 of 777 Old 04-16-2019, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think they play lazy and kind of show boaty for significant periods of games. Way too many turnovers from lazy passes and unnecessary drive attempts. But, I doubt they will be like that in LA. I think they will play with proper intensity and focus on the road. But, stranger things have happened. I'd probably start Bogut so that the Looney rotation stays intact. Bogut is just as good a shot from the high screen area as Boogie. He just doesn't have near the low post game. Looney and Bell do best when someone ball hogs away from them (KD, Thompson) and then run in behind. I wouldn't expect either one to be comfortable running the high post for the regular offense like Bogut can.
Sounds logical. FWIW, Jordan Bell has been passing well from the high post. Maybe he is finally getting it...Next, he'll be putting on some offensive moves, ala Looney
post #773 of 777 Old 04-16-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
...Bogut is just as good a shot from the high screen area as Boogie. He just doesn't have near the low post game.
I was trying to remember if I've ever seen Andrew Bogut shoot it from outside 5 feet and I'm coming up blank. AFAIK, the longest shot he's ever attempted is a free throw. His offensive shooting repertoire consists of dunks, lob dunks & tips, and the occasional sweeping hook.

That's where they'll miss Boogie. He can shoot it reasonably well if they leave him wide open. With Bogut, they're just going to sag off him and clog the paint as he is no threat to pick & fade. That said, Bogut is an excellent defender in the Dubs system and he and Draymond used to have a kind of shorthand communication that enabled them to switch-out and close-out with great precision. He's probably a better shot blocker. And he sets really good screens and is just as good a passer as Boogie.

So, there are advantages & disadvantages, but the one thing they don't have now is what they signed Boogie for in the first place, which is someone they can throw it into the post and who can muscle in a shot every once in awhile when the game bogs down. They signed him for the playoffs. What an unbelievably bad break for both him and the Dubs.
humbland likes this.
post #774 of 777 Old 04-16-2019, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Denver should be down 0-2 to the Spurs but they put up a big 4th quarter and won tonight...either way it looks like the Spurs are the better team and should advance...
post #775 of 777 Old Yesterday, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Pacers have no offense other than Bogdonovich .This series would look different if Oladipo could play.
post #776 of 777 Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

the 2 teams playing the best in these playoffs are Milwaukee in the East and Houston in the West...Houston is looking like a major threat to the Warriors mainly because they have been playing some suffocating defense in their 2 home wins against Utah...Utah is a very good team and Houston is dominating...lets see what happens on the road in Utah
post #777 of 777 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Huge statement game at Staples tonight...
Wonder if th refs got the message?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page