2018-2019 NBA Season thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 450Likes

post #1051 of 1489 Old 05-17-2019, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4111 Post(s)
Liked: 3669
this series is not over...what's the saying?...a playoff series doesn't start until the road team wins?...Bucks are in a good spot but don't count out the Raptors just yet...Drake wants to go to the Finals...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1489 Old 05-17-2019, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
We almost always hear this stuff. Both teams held home court. That's all that happened.
Well I hope so and the ACC will be jumping so the Raps will get a boost, but their lack of scoring depth is killing them.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Little Dot hybrid tube amp with GE tubes.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #1053 of 1489 Old 05-17-2019, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2517 Post(s)
Liked: 2265

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of 1489 Old 05-18-2019, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5870 Post(s)
Liked: 6435
Ummm, Bucks in 5. Sorry Cardo. Giannus is an effing monster and nobody can stop him. That is, until he meets up with....

BOOGIE!!!! Who, at this point, is looking like he's going to be back before KD.
post #1055 of 1489 Old 05-18-2019, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 289
"They are a better team without KD. While he is talented, the ball doesn’t move when he is in the game nearly as well as it does when he isn’t. They get more easy shots when the ball is moving not when KD wants to play iso-ball. All one needs to know is the team is 29-1 without KD and 26-26 without Curry."

Above quote from an online "discussion" of the Warriors with and without KD vs with and without Curry. The records are revealing, but the playoffs are a different dynamic. There was a consensus that the Warriors were more fun to watch without him.
I tend to agree with Archiguy, the Dubs need to be at full strength to deal with Giannus.
That's assuming they get past the Blazers. Portland's last stand tonight. Moda will be rocking...
post #1056 of 1489 Old 05-18-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Scottie Pippen reacts to Draymond Green calling himself the best defender ever:

1 through 5 he is the best I have seen. 1 through 4 probably Pippen or Kwahi. Best in the paint was Bill Russel (no doubter)
Also, defense has evolved with the times. Hard to compare eras. Draymond is certainly the anchor for the Dubs.
Someone who is in the conversation for best ever defender 1 through 4: Iggy.
Throw in Klay for 1 through 3.
The Warriors are known for their offensive firepower. However, they have 3 of the best ALL TIME defenders.
Thoughts?
post #1057 of 1489 Old 05-18-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
The Warriors are known for their offensive firepower. However, they have 3 of the best ALL TIME defenders.
Thoughts?
Well, our opinions of these sorts of questions are shaped by the immediacy of our observations. I would agree that any list of all-time great defenders begins with Bill Russell. A lot of really tall guys get on the list not because they are or were great on-the-ball defenders but because they could block shots simply because they're.... tall. Thus, when Rudy Gobert wins DPotY over a guy like Draymond Green, who does it ALL from a defensive standpoint, I get perturbed.

The Dubs owe just as much of their championship success to their stellar defense, shaped & honed by assistant coach Ron Adams, as they do to their motion offense and stellar shooting, IMO. They have great individual defenders like Iggy, Draymond, and Klay (and Bogut too, in the early years of this run), yes. But they also coordinate their activity in a more cohesive way than most teams.

And Steph Curry is an underrated defender as well. Watch his footwork and how hard he works on defense. Look at how many tipped balls & steals he gets, and how well he rebounds. He's not Thompson, but he doesn't get enough credit for being a solid team defender.
humbland likes this.
post #1058 of 1489 Old 05-18-2019, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Scottie Pippen reacts to Draymond Green calling himself the best defender ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9QpY96mKyU

1 through 5 he is the best I have seen. 1 through 4 probably Pippen or Kwahi. Best in the paint was Bill Russel (no doubter)
Also, defense has evolved with the times. Hard to compare eras. Draymond is certainly the anchor for the Dubs.
Someone who is in the conversation for best ever defender 1 through 4: Iggy.
Throw in Klay for 1 through 3.
Thoughts?
Pippen was the greatest one-on-one defender I've ever seen...Draymond is not an all time great defender...he's a very good defender...Rodman was better...and Klay is nowhere close to an all time great defender...Bruce Bowen, Ron Artest in his prime, Tony Allen were all better then Klay...and Steph Curry is an awful defender...he's just barely one step above Harden with the difference being that he tries a bit harder...Andre Iguodala is their best all around defender
humbland and JMCecil like this.
post #1059 of 1489 Old 05-18-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 328
There have been some incredible defenders over the years. There have also been better defensive teams (Detroit, Knicks, Miami) to name just a few. And those are semi-modern era. Really hard to go back to what defense was in the 60s and 70s. However, as far as I can tell they are the best combination of tremendous offense and defense on the same team on the floor at the same time. But "best" defensive individual at their position ever. I don't think so.
post #1060 of 1489 Old 05-18-2019, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4480 Post(s)
Liked: 5876
Eh, what do you expect him to say. I would just say that MJ was in more trouble when Pippen was out than Steph and crew is when Draymond is out.
post #1061 of 1489 Old 05-18-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
And Steph Curry is an underrated defender as well. Watch his footwork and how hard he works on defense. Look at how many tipped balls & steals he gets, and how well he rebounds. He's not Thompson, but he doesn't get enough credit for being a solid team defender.
After watching the NBA for decades, I would say that Curry fits into their defensive scheme well. That is , he gambles a lot to get the steal. The rest of the guys rotate to cover for him. The down side is that the gambling often involves reaching. With KD out, they can not afford to get Steph in foul trouble. They need him on the floor. This hampers his gambling style (but he has seemed to move his feet better as of late).
I agree that one truly underrated aspect of Steph's game is his rebounding. I have never seen a guy his size go into the land of the giants and come up with so many balls...He seems to have a sixth sense on where it will end up. Almost like a mini Dennis Rodman

One additional thought:
It would be interesting to see if these Dubs can win it all without KD. (Unfortunately, we may get a chance to find out). My take is that they would have about a 50/50 chance. However, what do you think their chances would be of winning it all without Steph???
I rest my case...
post #1062 of 1489 Old 05-18-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dray does not have the physical skills to be considered the best defender ever. He is, however, one of the smartest defenders to ever play the game. He makes up for less than ultimate physical skills by his anticipation, always seeming to be in the right place at the right time. He is unique and elite in this facet of his defensive game.

One of the unsung capabilities of this team is it's mental abilities on the defensive side of the ball. Iguodala, Bogut, and Green are all floor generals on the defensive side of the ball, getting all the other players in the right position to be effective. As individual defenders, the above three are joined by Klay and perhaps, Looney as elite one-on-one defenders. Ron Adams is probably the greatest defensive mind in the league and has the players all working together, in a switching mode, to maintain a cohesive unit.

Also unsung is the front office, who has purposely acquired these players specifically to play this type of defensive scheme. Lots of 6'7" guards, who can switch onto larger players and not be taken advantage of in a post-up. Even the larger players, like Looney and KD can switch on to a guard and still be effective. Nobody talks about the Warriors defense, just the three point shooting, but it's a narrow and false view of the real reason they are dominant.

Last edited by RayGuy; 05-18-2019 at 11:57 AM.
post #1063 of 1489 Old 05-18-2019, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
"They are a better team without KD. While he is talented, the ball doesn’t move when he is in the game nearly as well as it does when he isn’t. They get more easy shots when the ball is moving not when KD wants to play iso-ball. All one needs to know is the team is 29-1 without KD and 26-26 without Curry."

Above quote from an online "discussion" of the Warriors with and without KD vs with and without Curry. The records are revealing, but the playoffs are a different dynamic. There was a consensus that the Warriors were more fun to watch without him.
I tend to agree with Archiguy, the Dubs need to be at full strength to deal with Giannus.
That's assuming they get past the Blazers. Portland's last stand tonight. Moda will be rocking...
Trail Blazers guard Seth Curry made some interesting comments to Sam Amick of The Athletic after the Warriors' Game 1 win in the Western Conference finals...“I think they are harder to guard (without Durant),” Seth said...“They move around faster when he’s not out there...They’re definitely not a better team, but they’re harder to guard...Obviously, they play a different style of basketball when Steph and Klay (Thompson) are the focal points offensively, and we haven’t played that team in a while"

KD was not pleased when he heard this and responded with a 'Hell No' on Instagram...great job Seth...break up the Warriors from within...KD is already super sensitive so this is a brilliant master plan...get KD to go to the Knicks or Clippers or anywhere but Golden State next season...
post #1064 of 1489 Old 05-18-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Trail Blazers guard Seth Curry made some interesting comments to Sam Amick of The Athletic after the Warriors' Game 1 win in the Western Conference finals...“I think they are harder to guard (without Durant),” Seth said...“They move around faster when he’s not out there...They’re definitely not a better team, but they’re harder to guard...Obviously, they play a different style of basketball when Steph and Klay (Thompson) are the focal points offensively, and we haven’t played that team in a while"

KD was not pleased when he heard this and responded with a 'Hell No' on Instagram...great job Seth...break up the Warriors from within...KD is already super sensitive so this is a brilliant master plan...get KD to go to the Knicks or Clippers or anywhere but Golden State next season...
What Seth said is absolutely true. But it was not a knock on Durant, just that they play a different style when he's not in the lineup. I swear, KD is the thinnest skinned superstar in NBA history. Seriously, everything offends him or disses him on some level. He needs therapy.
post #1065 of 1489 Old 05-18-2019, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Stephan A. Smith goes totally over the edge over Knicks missing out on Zion — video. If you hate Smith as much as most sane people, you want to watch this laugher —

https://news.grabien.com/story-steph...t-zion-william
post #1066 of 1489 Old 05-18-2019, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
I wonder how large of a barn it would need to be for CJ McCollum to be able to hit the side of it.
JMCecil likes this.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #1067 of 1489 Old 05-18-2019, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Blazers held to 33 points in the second half

... Defense Wins Championships!

post #1068 of 1489 Old 05-18-2019, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
I don't know. It seems that Portland just ran out of gas. Living in Portland (and a long time Warriors fan) I was hoping for a tighter game but I guess it's not to be. Warriors move on. Portland is sad.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #1069 of 1489 Old 05-19-2019, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After watching last night, my take is that the Blazers have had success against the Dubs in the regular season with that "run it back" style. In the regular season Daim and CJ get open looks in the scrambled court situations. The difference is that the playoff defense that the Dubs are employing is stifling. It's clearly another level from anything they see during the regular season. Particularity Draymond. His level of intensity is off the charts. He looks like he is on a "KD who?" mission
Except for the blown dunk Jordan Bell looked good. Kerr made a point of putting him out there before the Oregon crowd, and he responded. Could be that he is finally figuring it out...
post #1070 of 1489 Old 05-19-2019, 07:15 AM

Let's be clear. The Warriors won that game because Draymond Green decided he was not going to let them lose.

He was an unstoppable force from the tap. When he has a triple double, they are 28-1. They are now 29-1 when Steph plays and KD doesn't. When both of those things happen, they are basically unbeatable.
humbland likes this.
post #1071 of 1489 Old 05-19-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Warriors make shots, that is their defense. They drain 3s while other teams struggle to hit 2s, so the opposition is always on their heals even with the lead. Just a matter of time until Step or Clay will stop drop 3s and cush your hopes and dreams,s lol

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Little Dot hybrid tube amp with GE tubes.

post #1072 of 1489 Old 05-19-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
The Warriors make shots, that is their defense. They drain 3s while other teams struggle to hit 2s, so the opposition is always on their heals even with the lead. Just a matter of time until Step or Clay will stop drop 3s and cush your hopes and dreams,s lol
The Blazers have outshot the Dubs from 3 this whole series, if I'm not mistaken. Know how many 3's Steph made last night? One (1). Their defense is really their offense. They generate turnovers and bad shots with their pressure and then they fast break you to death. That's been their M.O. since they started this run 5 years ago.

Sure, a lot of those end up with wide-open 3's as the other team scrambles back and before they get set, but a lot of 'em are layups & dunks too. Generally speaking, the team that makes the most buckets, of either kind, is the team that wins.
post #1073 of 1489 Old 05-19-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The Blazers have outshot the Dubs from 3 this whole series, if I'm not mistaken. Know how many 3's Steph made last night? One (1). Their defense is really their offense. They generate turnovers and bad shots with their pressure and then they fast break you to death. That's been their M.O. since they started this run 5 years ago.

Sure, a lot of those end up with wide-open 3's as the other team scrambles back and before they get set, but a lot of 'em are layups & dunks too. Generally speaking, the team that makes the most buckets, of either kind, is the team that wins.
It is the psychological factor, just like playing the Pats, they clinch their butthole just a bit more when it comes down to the end.

post #1074 of 1489 Old 05-19-2019, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Damian Lillard confirmed that he suffered a separated rib in Game 2 when Looney fell on him...that explains why Lillard hasn't looked like his usual explosive self...no excuses though, the Warriors are just the better team and Portland doesn't really have many options outside of Lillard and McCollum
cardoski likes this.
post #1075 of 1489 Old 05-19-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Damian Lillard confirmed that he suffered a separated rib in Game 2 when Looney fell on him...that explains why Lillard hasn't looked like his usual explosive self...no excuses though, the Warriors are just the better team and Portland doesn't really have many options outside of Lillard and McCollum
Damian Lillard must be one tough dude. I remember when Looney fell on him. That would have put many people into the hospital. It explains why he looked hobbled the last few games.
Portland had a great season. Beating Denver was huge.
TitusTroy and cardoski like this.
post #1076 of 1489 Old 05-19-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looney upping his value at every turn!
Garrett Adams likes this.

post #1077 of 1489 Old 05-19-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Big win, should build some confidence, still......

post #1078 of 1489 Old 05-19-2019, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Milwaukee is a handfull...it took 2 OT's and Giannis only had 12 points (but also 23 rebounds)...Kawhi continues to show that he's one of the Top 3 players in the league with his clutch play...I underestimated the Bucks but it looks like they are the real deal
post #1079 of 1489 Old 05-20-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacojoe View Post
Stephan A. Smith goes totally over the edge over Knicks missing out on Zion — video. If you hate Smith as much as most sane people, you want to watch this laugher —

https://news.grabien.com/story-steph...t-zion-william
Stephen A is a travesty and abomination of sports journalism
CruelInventions and cardoski like this.
post #1080 of 1489 Old 05-20-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post
Stephen A is a travesty and abomination of sports journalism
Which is why no one should ever click on anything related to him. The more clicks he gets, the longer he will remain viable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page