2018-2019 NBA Season thread - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 516Likes

post #1381 of 1693 Old 06-10-2019, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3570 Post(s)
Liked: 3382
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The splash brothers doing what they do - 2 clutch shots when they absolutely had to have them. The Dubs tried to give it away with some bonehead plays in the last few minutes. Looked like Kawhi was going to be the hero, as he put on a show there at the end. Draymond with some clutch hoops as well... and his 6th tech.

Poor KD. That re-injury looked worse than the first. They only got a little over a quarter with him, and he looked good. Afraid this might be the achilles, as he left in a walking boot. MRI in the morning.
No doubt that was an Achilles (been there, done that). The only question is how bad is it?

EDIT: Just saw Bob Myers crying at the podium. I think we can assume it's bad ...

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-10-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1693 Old 06-10-2019, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7018 Post(s)
Liked: 8011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
No doubt that was an Achilles (been there, done that). The only question is how bad is it?

EDIT: Just saw Bob Myers crying at the podium. I think we can assume it's bad ...
Yeah, Myers was incredibly emotional, trying to hold it together. He's just devastated. Said if there was any blame, to put it on him. Which is kind of silly, but there is going to be a lot of second-guessing as to whether or not Durant should have been cleared to play. They worked him pretty hard in the Houston series - I think he averaged 42 minutes a game.

If it's an achilles tear, he might miss the whole next season. Unreal.
post #1383 of 1693 Old 06-10-2019, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Liked: 2047
Quote:
Yeah, Myers was incredibly emotional, trying to hold it together. He's just devastated. Said if there was any blame, to put it on him. Which is kind of silly, but there is going to be a lot of second-guessing as to whether or not Durant should have been cleared to play. They worked him pretty hard in the Houston series - I think he averaged 42 minutes a game.

I'm hoping that he still has a player option for a year on his contract. That way he gets paid for the year and the Dubs probably get it covered via insurance.
The Myers' interview was the oddest thing I've seen.

I really did like Klay's comments. It is actually stupid to say that the Warriors were better without KD. It may not matter against some teams but basketball is about match ups and superstars. Having the best player on the planet currently alive play is always the best option.

"Don't blame me -- I voted for Kodos." Homer Simpson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1384 of 1693 Old 06-10-2019, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6366 Post(s)
Liked: 5854
Quote:

when he first injured it a month ago it looked like an Achilles injury so it never made sense why the Warriors kept saying how it was a calf injury...Steve Kerr specifically stated that it was not an Achilles injury...there's no doubt that the 2 injuries are related...now if this new injury is an Achilles tear the Warriors medical staff, coaching staff and ownership will rightfully be second guessed big time...sort of like how Kawhi never trusted the Spurs medical staff after his injury one has to winder if this is the final straw for KD leaving the Warriors
post #1385 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked: 1452
This makes me sick. How could they allow him to play knowing this could happen.

I read about it yesterday with possibilities of tearing his calf muscle completely or achilles injury.

One of the best ever to play and yes the players and all involved should feel guilty.

This is so sick.
TitusTroy and Panson like this.

Time to be prepared. 100% percent or bust.
post #1386 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

the Warriors fear that KD suffered a torn right Achilles...sad...reports coming out today say that he wasn't close to 100% but he wanted to play and doctors cleared him...
post #1387 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Sad.
His Achiles may have been compromised already. Perhaps it may have happened at some point anyway...
The timing is terrible on a number of fronts.
It will be interesting to see what the course of treatment is. Recent thinking: In some cases, they are not doing the surgical repair any longer. Without surgery, the rehab is longer, but the big picture prognosis can be better. The surgery itself causes issues (nerve/muscle damage) that take years to recover from. Often, the athlete is never the same. I hope that KD takes his time and gets multiple opinions. Basketball is important, but only for a few more years. He has the rest of his life to live...
Thoughts and prayers Kevin and thanks for all of the memories. Your jersey will hang in the Warriors rafters and in the Hall of Fame.
post #1388 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 07:55 AM

An achilles tear is pretty much a year-long recovery process. And rarely does an athlete come back 100% (unlike an ACL, for example). Look at Boogie. What KD has going for him is he's not carrying a lot of weight, putting that kind of pressure on the tendon. He's the "Slim Reaper". But his game is built on other-worthy athleticism and quickness.

So, the whole calculus now changes for him, and the half of the league that was going to take a run at him in free agency. While I fully expected him to leave, now I'm betting he opts back in -- he has until the end of this month to decide. He may well be a "Warrior for Life" now. Depends on the pain threshold of Lacob & Guber. If they try to re-sign Klay & Draymond to max contracts, their luxury tax bill could be more than the GNP of many small nations.
Panson likes this.
post #1389 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

KD has a player option of $31.5 million next season...that's a great insurance policy to have...he can pretty much sit out the year and still get $31 million...but I was watching ESPN this morning and insiders believe that even with the injury he's going to opt-out and teams are still going to offer him a max salary...that's a huge risk for both KD and the team that pays him...an Achilles injury is the worst injury you can have in basketball and there's only 1 NBA player who tore his Achilles that came back and was close to his previous self- Dominique Wilkins
Panson likes this.
post #1390 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
It was shockingly un-Canadian of them. But Kyle Lowry -- pure class.
I live in Toronto, the city is wound up pretty tight right now and really excited. I think the hype around Durant coming back and him going down was a bit too much to handle. Typically we wouldn't react that way to an injury. It was good to see the players try to calm the situation. The fans snapped out of it after they did that.
archiguy and cardoski like this.
post #1391 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMAS View Post
I live in Toronto, the city is wound up pretty tight right now and really excited. I think the hype around Durant coming back and him going down was a bit too much to handle. Typically we wouldn't react that way to an injury. It was good to see the players try to calm the situation. The fans snapped out of it after they did that.
That's true. You could hear them chanting "KD KD KD" as he limped off the floor, which I didn't realize until later reports and playback. My faith in Canadian decency was restored!
post #1392 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 4544
Now we've got a series.

Warriors, are you now ready to rumble?

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #1393 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Now we've got a series.

Warriors, are you now ready to rumble?
I think Toronto is going to win Game 6...even in Game 5 the Warriors played great, hit 20 3-pointers, Toronto shot poorly and they still only won by 1 point...I think Toronto is clearly the better team...if Durant was healthy it would be a different story but the Raptors are going to win
post #1394 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 1549
KD was feeling the pressure of those inside the team and out who have questioned his toughness or whether or not he was putting his career before the team. There were some inside the team and out who even thought he could have returned a couple games ago. And we know he's got one of the thinner skins, which mixed in with his competitive drive, may have compelled him even more strongly to play last night.

Silver lining, if any: hopefully this will put to bed these criticisms going forward of, A. not being tough enough B. the Warriors would have been good enough without him to win more championships.**

** assuming for the moment that Toronto is able to close the championship deal.
post #1395 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This whole blaming of team management, the doctors, society .... for the KD injury is just a lot of hooey. It was ultimately KD's decision. He made it and paid the ultimate price for trying to come back too soon. Anybody who thinks he did not know the possible outcomes is just lying to themselves, or trying to get clicks.

That injury can happen to anybody at any time for a multitude of reasons. At his level, he had the best of the best advising him, from the team and independently. Unfortunate outcome, but when you roll the dice, sometimes it comes up snake eyes.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-11-2019 at 11:10 AM.
post #1396 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This whole blaming of team management, the doctors, society .... for the KD injury is just a lot of hooey. It was ultimately KD's decision. He made it and paid the ultimate price for trying to come back too soon. Anybody who thinks he did not know the possible outcomes is just lying to themselves, or trying to get clicks.

That injury can happen to anybody at any time for a multitude of reasons. At his level, he had the best of the best advising him, from the team and independently.
KD is a sensitive thin-skinned guy (remember he's the same guy who used burner Twitter accounts to rip fans, media and other players)...it's like @CruelInventions said, he felt the pressure to come back based on outside forces (and maybe even from within the Warriors organization)...I feel bad for the guy, I mean to get hurt in Game 5 of the NBA Finals right before he was about to hit free agency is devastating...I mean if he had gotten hurt earlier in the season it would have been better as he could have come back the following season...now it's pretty much guaranteed he's going to miss all of next season
post #1397 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
KD is a sensitive thin-skinned guy (remember he's the same guy who used burner Twitter accounts to rip fans, media and other players)...it's like @CruelInventions said, he felt the pressure to come back based on outside forces (and maybe even from within the Warriors organization)...I feel bad for the guy, I mean to get hurt in Game 5 of the NBA Finals right before he was about to hit free agency is devastating...I mean if he had gotten hurt earlier in the season it would have been better as he could have come back the following season...now it's pretty much guaranteed he's going to miss all of next season
Again, HIS decision. If he wants to find someone to blame, he can just look in the mirror.

post #1398 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Again, HIS decision. If he wants to find someone to blame, he can just look in the mirror.
so you're saying he knew that he might tear his Achilles and still chose to come back and play?...I don't see it...if the doctors cleared him that means that there's no risk of re-injury or worse
CruelInventions likes this.
post #1399 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
so you're saying he knew that he might tear his Achilles and still chose to come back and play?...I don't see it...if the doctors cleared him that means that there's no risk of re-injury or worse
Yes, having a calf injury means you are more susceptible to tearing an Achilles. Maybe the odds were 20% or 10%, or whatever, but they certainly weren't ZERO. He made a bad decision, simple as that.

Now, he will pay the price in having surgery, followed by three months of frustration, followed by three months of ludicrous pain, followed by x-months of trying to get back to being KD. I never made it all the way back, hopefully, with the best care money can buy, he will.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-11-2019 at 11:30 AM.
post #1400 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Not really. Those kind of soft tissue injuries are notoriously difficult to diagnose and treat. Depending on the severity, the recovery time could range from 4 weeks to 3 months. MRI's can only reveal so much. The best judge is the athlete himself. If KD reported little-to-no pain, then it's not surprising the doctors would clear him to play.

Note that he went out for a few minutes for a breather in the first quarter and then came back into the game. They showed a shot of him on the bench and the trainers immediately wrapped his calf up in an ice pack.

It's impossible for us, as fans, to know everything that went into the decision to clear him to play. We do know he must have wanted to play again in this series, and that he felt the pain had subsided enough for him to be able to play without doing any more damage. Unfortunately, medicine is an inexact science and athletes are often not the best judges of their own condition. If the Dubs had been up 3-1 instead of down, who knows if he (and the team medical staff) would have risked him coming back?
RayGuy and Zookster like this.
post #1401 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I never made it all the way back, hopefully, with the best care money can buy, he will.
Kobe is that you?
archiguy and RayGuy like this.
post #1402 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 4544
Quote:
I think Toronto is going to win Game 6...even in Game 5 the Warriors played great, hit 20 3-pointers, Toronto shot poorly and they still only won by 1 point...I think Toronto is clearly the better team...if Durant was healthy it would be a different story but the Raptors are going to win
Re Closing the Championship Deal.

Toronto must win Game 6. Though Toronto would have home court for Game 7, it'd not be too different from NHL's St. Louis going back to Boston for Game 7. Because they haven't been there and will have three days to think about it. I give St. Louis no chance tomorrow night, and only slightly more chance for Toronto in a Game 7.

We'll just hafta wait and see.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo

Last edited by Panson; 06-11-2019 at 11:44 AM.
post #1403 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
KD has a player option of $31.5 million next season...that's a great insurance policy to have...he can pretty much sit out the year and still get $31 million...but I was watching ESPN this morning and insiders believe that even with the injury he's going to opt-out and teams are still going to offer him a max salary...that's a huge risk for both KD and the team that pays him...an Achilles injury is the worst injury you can have in basketball and there's only 1 NBA player who tore his Achilles that came back and was close to his previous self- Dominique Wilkins
That is interesting that teams would take that gamble. I guess it depends on when KD has to exercise his option and whether it is before or after free agency. I don't know whether other teams can talk to him prior to that unless the Warriors okay that. If he got assurances that he would be picked up, by all means, opt out.

post #1404 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not really. Those kind of soft tissue injuries are notoriously difficult to diagnose and treat. Depending on the severity, the recovery time could range from 4 weeks to 3 months. MRI's can only reveal so much. The best judge is the athlete himself. If KD reported little-to-no pain, then it's not surprising the doctors would clear him to play.

Note that he went out for a few minutes for a breather in the first quarter and then came back into the game. They showed a shot of him on the bench and the trainers immediately wrapped his calf up in an ice pack.

It's impossible for us, as fans, to know everything that went into the decision to clear him to play. We do know he must have wanted to play again in this series, and that he felt the pain had subsided enough for him to be able to play without doing any more damage. Unfortunately, medicine is an inexact science and athletes are often not the best judges of their own condition. If the Dubs had been up 3-1 instead of down, who knows if he (and the team medical staff) would have risked him coming back?
I agree with you 100% but it isn't stopping the pundits from all their ridiculous 20/20 hindsight stuff. Everyone is saying that the time out call by Nurse when Toronto was ahead was a mistake but I disagree. If a time out was so important, assuming the Warriors still had a TO left, they could have called one and the coach knows his team and presumably got a signal from someone that they were gassed. The only thing I agree with the pundits on is that Nurse should have used a TO before the final play in order to properly set up the play. KL got the ball in a bad position and was easily trapped by Iggy so had to give up the ball. Credit the Warriors' defense on that one. Everyone seemed to know what to do and where to rotate. DG got in proper position on the high side of Gasol (I was a bit surprised after KL had to give up the ball they didn't go to MG) so was in position to harass the corner shot.

I think KD played because he thought he was ready and the doctors cleared him. End of story.
archiguy likes this.

post #1405 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I agree with you 100% but it isn't stopping the pundits from all their ridiculous 20/20 hindsight stuff. Everyone is saying that the time out call by Nurse when Toronto was ahead was a mistake but I disagree. If a time out was so important, assuming the Warriors still had a TO left, they could have called one and the coach knows his team and presumably got a signal from someone that they were gassed. The only thing I agree with the pundits on is that Nurse should have used a TO before the final play in order to properly set up the play. KL got the ball in a bad position and was easily trapped by Iggy so had to give up the ball. Credit the Warriors' defense on that one. Everyone seemed to know what to do and where to rotate. DG got in proper position on the high side of Gasol (I was a bit surprised after KL had to give up the ball they didn't go to MG) so was in position to harass the corner shot.

I think KD played because he thought he was ready and the doctors cleared him. End of story.
I think the time-out by Nurse was a mistake...I don't think it cost them the game but it was a dumb move...the Raptors were rolling and were up 6 points, why on earth are you going to stop that momentum?...I think after that the Warriors when on a big run to close out the game and the Raptors couldn't hit a shot...
post #1406 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the time-out by Nurse was a mistake...I don't think it cost them the game but it was a dumb move...the Raptors were rolling and were up 6 points, why on earth are you going to stop that momentum?...I think after that the Warriors when on a big run to close out the game and the Raptors couldn't hit a shot...
No one can know whether there is any cause or effect there. The same thing might have happened anyhow.

post #1407 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked: 1452
Brian Windhorst stated that the Warriors are known for there carelessness.

Should have never been up to KD.

Time to be prepared. 100% percent or bust.
post #1408 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

KD's Achilles injury won’t stop him from signing a max deal in free agency

post #1409 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5089 Post(s)
Liked: 6961
Quote:
Kobe is that you?

Ray's pretty fiery but he's not Kobe fiery.

RayGuy likes this.
post #1410 of 1693 Old 06-11-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I agree with you 100% but it isn't stopping the pundits from all their ridiculous 20/20 hindsight stuff. Everyone is saying that the time out call by Nurse when Toronto was ahead was a mistake but I disagree. If a time out was so important, assuming the Warriors still had a TO left, they could have called one and the coach knows his team and presumably got a signal from someone that they were gassed. The only thing I agree with the pundits on is that Nurse should have used a TO before the final play in order to properly set up the play....
Maybe I am misunderstanding your point but I think the claim is that the Warriors were gassed and out of time-outs so Nurse bailed them out by calling the timeout for his own team, which with their depth and scoring momentum, didn't need it nearly as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page