What We Do in the Shadows on FX - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 60Likes

post #31 of 52 Old 05-22-2020, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6395 Post(s)
Liked: 5894
What We Do in the Shadows Renewed for Season 3 at FX

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...n-3-fx-1295701
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 05-22-2020, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you love What We Do in the Shadows. Try F is for Family on Netflix, totally different show, but the same sort of comedy ...The show is animated but absolutely hilarious
post #33 of 52 Old 06-07-2020, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
...summarily executed now: 'Angie Tribeca'...
Real shame about this one. I loved it too.

But Season 2 of "What We Do In The Shadows" has been absolutely 100%! Unbelievable. Funniest thing on TV. Even better than Season 1. Hilarious laugh-out-loud.

Just watched Episode 9 last night and had to replay parts because it was just too clever and funny. Especially the unexpected happy ending! Remarkable.

Glad to see it's now been renewed for a Season 3.

And if you enjoy Matt Berry here as Lazslo, you must watch all three seasons of "Toast Of London" streaming on Netflix. Short episodes (about 23 minutes), 1-7, 2-6, 3-6, so it won't take long to binge all three. Priceless.
SuperFist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 Old 06-07-2020, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 7647
Thanks for reminding me Season 2 was out already!
post #35 of 52 Old 06-07-2020, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Liked: 7117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Thanks for reminding me Season 2 was out already!

If you have Hulu you can watch day after air (without ads if you have ad free).
SuperFist likes this.
post #36 of 52 Old 06-08-2020, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 3094
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Real shame about this one. I loved it too.

But Season 2 of "What We Do In The Shadows" has been absolutely 100%! Unbelievable. Funniest thing on TV. Even better than Season 1. Hilarious laugh-out-loud.

Just watched Episode 9 last night and had to replay parts because it was just too clever and funny. Especially the unexpected happy ending! Remarkable.

Glad to see it's now been renewed for a Season 3.

And if you enjoy Matt Berry here as Lazslo, you must watch all three seasons of "Toast Of London" streaming on Netflix. Short episodes (about 23 minutes), 1-7, 2-6, 3-6, so it won't take long to binge all three. Priceless.
If you like Matt Berry I'd highly recommend The IT Crowd too. Netflix has it streaming. He's a secondary character starting in series two but the show is brilliant and really funny. Especially if you're any sort of a computer nerd.
Brian Conrad and SuperFist like this.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #37 of 52 Old 06-08-2020, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
If you like Matt Berry I'd highly recommend The IT Crowd too. Netflix has it streaming. He's a secondary character starting in series two but the show is brilliant and really funny. Especially if you're any sort of a computer nerd.
Didn't know about this early series with Matt Berry. He was in a recent show named "Year of the Rabbit" on IFC which I tried out briefly but didn't care for and bailed early. Turns out it's all about the writing.

I've just now watched the first two seasons of "The IT Crowd", though I know you said he didn't appear until Season 2. I thought I'd start at the beginning. Turns out I almost bailed after the first season, which had a badly implemented laugh track and very unsubtle lowbrow comedy (in my opinion), with pauses so that the laugh track could be inserted.

Nevertheless, he persisted. I just let Netflix move right on into S02E01 and it's like a different show! They obviously must have totally dumped their writers from Season 1 and hired a new team of comedy geniuses, radically revised the premise, and changed the whole method of real audience participation this time with real laughter (because it definitely deserved much much laughter). Cue the appearance of Matt Berry and his lunatic character, and it's GOLD! Perfection. "Moss and the German". "The Dinner Party". Insanely good writing, and performing. Much like "Toast of London" in its total absurdity of concept, along with wonderful characters and actors (like Jane, his manager).

I'll have to wait on the final two seasons plus special until tomorrow, but I'm very much looking forward to it. Thank you for recommending it.

I'm sorry we only have one more episode to go in this season's "What We Do In The Shadows". I really particularly enjoyed "The Curse" (about the chain email coupled with Guillermo's vampire hunting group) and this weeks "Witches" which was just too funny. Glad to see it's been renewed. Can't wait till next year.
DesertDog and Ph8te like this.
post #38 of 52 Old 06-09-2020, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Didn't know about this early series with Matt Berry. He was in a recent show named "Year of the Rabbit" on IFC which I tried out briefly but didn't care for and bailed early. Turns out it's all about the writing.

I've just now watched the first two seasons of "The IT Crowd", though I know you said he didn't appear until Season 2. I thought I'd start at the beginning. Turns out I almost bailed after the first season, which had a badly implemented laugh track and very unsubtle lowbrow comedy (in my opinion), with pauses so that the laugh track could be inserted.

Nevertheless, he persisted. I just let Netflix move right on into S02E01 and it's like a different show! They obviously must have totally dumped their writers from Season 1 and hired a new team of comedy geniuses, radically revised the premise, and changed the whole method of real audience participation this time with real laughter (because it definitely deserved much much laughter). Cue the appearance of Matt Berry and his lunatic character, and it's GOLD! Perfection. "Moss and the German". "The Dinner Party". Insanely good writing, and performing. Much like "Toast of London" in its total absurdity of concept, along with wonderful characters and actors (like Jane, his manager).

I'll have to wait on the final two seasons plus special until tomorrow, but I'm very much looking forward to it. Thank you for recommending it.

I'm sorry we only have one more episode to go in this season's "What We Do In The Shadows". I really particularly enjoyed "The Curse" (about the chain email coupled with Guillermo's vampire hunting group) and this weeks "Witches" which was just too funny. Glad to see it's been renewed. Can't wait till next year.
Glad you stuck with it. I like S1 having seen the entire show a few times now but it hits its stride in S2. There's a few more gems coming for you. S3E4 is probably my favorite episode of the the show. I'm trying to say anything that might spoil anything in the next two seasons for you. Have fun with it.

Bah, there's only 1 more episode this season??? That sucks. I didn't realize we were almost to the end. I can't wait for the next one. Since S2 started in April I hope they're not impacted too much by the virus. I'd assume this would be writing time for them with filming being in the fall. Hopefully that's the case and we'll still be able to get S3 in April of next year.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #39 of 52 Old 06-09-2020, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2583 Post(s)
Liked: 2346
Matt Berry was also in the "Pirate Radio" movie. And every time I was watching "Get Shorty" on EPIX I was expecting to hear Chris O'Dowd say "have tried plugging it in?"
post #40 of 52 Old 06-09-2020, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Started watching this great show with the Hulu app on my Apple TV4k, then realized I was only getting stereo. Switched to the FireStick and it's 5.1.

What's up with that? (It's equally funny either way.)
WilliamR likes this.
post #41 of 52 Old 06-09-2020, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 7027 Post(s)
Liked: 7117
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
Started watching this great show with the Hulu app on my Apple TV4k, then realized I was only getting stereo. Switched to the FireStick and it's 5.1.

Hulu has t updated the app to support 5.1 for the AppleTV app. It’s a known want, but no eta on if it will ever come.
post #42 of 52 Old 06-09-2020, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6395 Post(s)
Liked: 5894
Quote:

I used the free 1 month trial a few months back and was disappointed...Hulu is very quirky compared to the other major streaming apps...DD 5.1 audio is available when using my LG TV's built-in Hulu app but when using the ATV 4K it's only stereo...the lack of basic features such as a 'Restart program from the Beginning' is strange...there's 4K SDR support on a few devices but the 4K quality by itself is nothing special
post #43 of 52 Old 06-09-2020, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Haven't checked my ATV4K, but just checked my Roku Ultra. And it's 5.1 there just fine.

I wasn't intending to watch (and didn't, but for a few seconds). But it was positioned at the start of S02E05, "Colin's Promotion". I didn't even have the sound on but immediately started chuckling as I remembered the hilarious episode focusing on this "energy vampire", and that I always laugh out loud as he talks on and on, sucking the life out of everyone around him, and the people around him (including Nadja) always just fall off to sleep.

Priceless and lame brained. But brilliant. Nandor the Relentless. Simon the Devious.

Anyway, 5.1 on Hulu Plus (ad-free) via Roku Ultra.
post #44 of 52 Old 06-10-2020, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 743
I'm glad more people are checking out this great show! I've added the aforementioned Matt Berry projects to my watch-list. I LOVE all the characters in this show, but his combination of horny, flippant, self-serving, chauvinist, yet somehow caring and sensitive is just brilliant. Throw in perfect, hilarious voice work, and I'd honestly like to see him nominated for best comedic performance somewhere. I know it's highly unlikely, but he deserves recognition, as do the writers. Make sure to check out the movie as well. The run-in with the werewolves on the street is one of the funniest things I've ever seen anywhere, ever.
WilliamR likes this.
post #45 of 52 Old 06-10-2020, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7077 Post(s)
Liked: 8161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
I'm glad more people are checking out this great show! I've added the aforementioned Matt Berry projects to my watch-list. I LOVE all the characters in this show, but his combination of horny, flippant, self-serving, chauvinist, yet somehow caring and sensitive is just brilliant. Throw in perfect, hilarious voice work, and I'd honestly like to see him nominated for best comedic performance somewhere. I know it's highly unlikely, but he deserves recognition, as do the writers. Make sure to check out the movie as well. The run-in with the werewolves on the street is one of the funniest things I've ever seen anywhere, ever.
I agree. That one may have been the funniest ep of the whole series. I was rolling on the floor.

Nadia's little "mini-me" doll better not be broken! She's a scream.
WilliamR likes this.
post #46 of 52 Old 06-10-2020, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1754 Post(s)
Liked: 7647
Quote:
Matt Berry is friggin hysterical!

The IT Crowd is a MUST SEE!!!
WilliamR and Ben23 like this.
post #47 of 52 Old 06-10-2020, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I agree. That one may have been the funniest ep of the whole series. I was rolling on the floor.

Nadia's little "mini-me" doll better not be broken! She's a scream.
I was actually talking about that scene in the movie with the werewolves, but yes, it was hilarious on the show as well.
post #48 of 52 Old 06-10-2020, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Glad you stuck with it. I like S1 having seen the entire show a few times now but it hits its stride in S2. There's a few more gems coming for you. S3E4 is probably my favorite episode of the the show. I'm trying to say anything that might spoil anything in the next two seasons for you. Have fun with it.
This is a bit off-topic regarding WWDITS, but I suppose it's relevant because of the Matt Berry tie-in.

Only made it through S3 of "The IT Crowd" last night, but I agree that S3E4 was absolutely hysterical. Wonderful sight gags, lines, bizarre story ideas, general lunacy and overall inanity. Jen's true ignorance of IT is beautiful.

Nevertheless, I almost gave up when watching S3E1. It almost seems this show has two completely different writing and production crews, because S3E1 seemed like an extra episode made by the S1 crew and that they never aired back then, so they decided to burn it (and a few more like it) off early in S3. Really awful. Horrible laugh track is back after every grimace, single line (that is not funny), juvenile attempt at physical comedy, supposedly funny lines that land with a huge thud, etc. Truly horrible grotesque instant-on/off laugh track. And there was nothing funny about ANY of the show or story or acting or lines. Pretty much unwatchable. I never even smiled once, and really toyed with the idea of not seeing it through to the end.

And then you have the brilliance of S3E4, which has story, cleverness, mindless humor that you cannot stop laughing at, and of course features Matt Berry at his finest.

Anyway, I will do the final S4 and special tonight. Hopefully it's the same S2/S3E4 crew at work.

And of course, sadly tonight is the S2 finale of WWDITS. And then gone for another year. For filler I will look into the original movie, and some more older work from the Matt Berry CV.
post #49 of 52 Old 06-11-2020, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is a bit off-topic regarding WWDITS, but I suppose it's relevant because of the Matt Berry tie-in.

Only made it through S3 of "The IT Crowd" last night, but I agree that S3E4 was absolutely hysterical. Wonderful sight gags, lines, bizarre story ideas, general lunacy and overall inanity. Jen's true ignorance of IT is beautiful.

Nevertheless, I almost gave up when watching S3E1. It almost seems this show has two completely different writing and production crews, because S3E1 seemed like an extra episode made by the S1 crew and that they never aired back then, so they decided to burn it (and a few more like it) off early in S3. Really awful. Horrible laugh track is back after every grimace, single line (that is not funny), juvenile attempt at physical comedy, supposedly funny lines that land with a huge thud, etc. Truly horrible grotesque instant-on/off laugh track. And there was nothing funny about ANY of the show or story or acting or lines. Pretty much unwatchable. I never even smiled once, and really toyed with the idea of not seeing it through to the end.

And then you have the brilliance of S3E4, which has story, cleverness, mindless humor that you cannot stop laughing at, and of course features Matt Berry at his finest.

Anyway, I will do the final S4 and special tonight. Hopefully it's the same S2/S3E4 crew at work.

And of course, sadly tonight is the S2 finale of WWDITS. And then gone for another year. For filler I will look into the original movie, and some more older work from the Matt Berry CV.
I don't care if your from Iran, we had to pick up our own laundry!

#IHateNalleh
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #50 of 52 Old 06-11-2020, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Well, overall... I wouldn't tout this show to others who were looking for real solid sophisticated entertainment value. I'm not talking about zany not being enjoyable. I'm talking about juvenile and HORRIBLE laugh track not being enjoyable.

I battled my way through the final season and special, and a few times actually laughed genuinely at something which was truly funny (e.g. "damp squib" vs. "damp squid"). There were a handful of very funny sight gags, setup and delivery punch lines, and general lunacy (including almost anything involving Matt Berry and his lecherousness). But overall, I found it almost entirely unwatchable because of the laugh track injected after almost every sentence, grimace, and eye roll. This makes it very juvenile, instead of sophisticated (e.g. with no laugh track, just let the comedy and writing and acting speak for itself... like in WWDITS and "Toast of London" and "Fleabag" and other high-brow comedy).

Sure, I enjoyed much of it. But I really didn't enjoy much of it.

Now back to this thread...

I enjoyed the finale. I realized that I've been particularly enjoying the "documentary film crew" that is the 4tfh wall of this show, and which is as much a "character" as anybody else. Last night we heard the voice of one of them (he was not 100 or 200, but only 26). And when they were behind our heroes going into the theater they were given "media passes" by the door creatures. Now this is comedy!
post #51 of 52 Old 07-09-2020, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 3465
In this episode of Watch From Home Theater, our favorite socially incompetent vampires from What We Do In The Shadows joined us to watch two of their favorite episodes from the show's second season. Matt Berry, Natasia Demetriou, Mark Proksch, Kayvon Novak, and Harvey Guillén kept our host Clint Gage laughing as they can't stop goofing around with each other.

Garrett Adams and Ph8te like this.

post #52 of 52 Old 07-11-2020, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Liked: 3465
What We Do in the Shadows - Inside Season 2: What We Do (For the Fans) in the Shadows

Garrett Adams and Ben23 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page