What We Do in the Shadows on FX - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By WilliamR
  • 1 Post By Garrett Adams
  • 1 Post By Brian
  • 1 Post By Ben23
  • 1 Post By archiguy
  • 1 Post By Ben23

post #1 of 10 Old 11-02-2018, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)
Liked: 2199
What We Do in the Shadows on FX

FX's What We Do in the Shadows teasers reveal Taika Waititi TV series

Now, don’t turn into a bunch of swear-wolves, but FX debuted the first teasers for What we Do in the Shadows, Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement’s television adaptation of their seminal vampire mockumentary.

Waititi and Clement co-directed and co-wrote the original What We Do In the Shadows, in addition to playing vampiric roommates Viago and Vladislav. And by the way, those characters could also appear in the series. Fingers crossed! Actually, don’t, if these new teasers are teaching us anything.

The show takes the film’s concept and turns it into a half-hour comedy set in New York, where a documentary crew follows three vampires who’ve been roommates for hundreds and hundreds of years as they adjust to modernity.

The teasers give us a glimpse at how things go when blood-suckers attempt to buy groceries or wait for delivery (i.e. virgin blood offerings). Perhaps they, too, drink virgin because it sounds cool.

Matt Berry (old-fashioned Laszlo), Natasia Demetriou (Laszlo’s free-spirited partner, Nadja), Kayvan Novak (house leader Nandor) star as the three vampers, while Harvey Guillen plays the unfortunate human slave who serves them.

“I was thinking they’re all murderers, so we need somebody to balance that out,” Clement said during the show's panel at New York Comic Con. “He’s more like an assistant murderer, but he’ll need to wrestle with that idea, that if he becomes a vampire, he’ll have to do that stuff too.”

Mark Prosch also plays an “energy vampire” named Colin Robinson, a type of vampire who speaks in such a dull manner that his subjects lose all will to live.

Additional casting includes Doug Jones (Star Trek: Discovery), Beanie Feldstein (Lady Bird), and Jake McDorman (Limitless).

“We’re creating a universe to rival that of Marvel,” Waititi, who directed Thor: Ragnarok, joked. “We’re taking one idea and stretching it out.”

https://ew.com/tv/2018/10/31/fx-what...iti-tv-series/

Last edited by WilliamR; 11-02-2018 at 04:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-04-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked: 1828
post #3 of 10 Old 05-08-2019, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)
Liked: 2199
What We Do in the Shadows Renewed for Season 2 at FX
By Matt Webb Mitovich, TVLine.com - May 7, 2019

Well this doesn’t suck: FX has renewed What We Do in the Shadows for a second season.

Airing Wednesdays at 10/9c, Season 1 of the acclaimed vampire comedy has four episodes remaining (landing the finale on May 29). Season 2 will debut in 2020; an episode count is not yet available.

“[Executive producers] Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi and Paul Simms have more than delivered on the high expectations of Shadows fans by adapting the cult classic [movie] for television and building a passionate base of new and returning fans,” FX Original Programming president Nick Grad said in a statement.

In 2019 to date, What We Do in the Shadows ranks in the Top 5 among 34 cable comedy series, including in the Adults 18-49 demo and in total viewers. Across all platforms and airings, its first five episodes have averaged an audience of 2.81 million viewers.

This Wednesday’s episode promises “an extraordinary lineup of guest vampires” as Nandor (played by Kayvan Novak), Laszlo (Matt Berry) and Nadja (Natasia Demetriou) appear before an international vampire tribunal who gather to judge them for the death of Baron Afanas.

https://tvline.com/2019/05/07/what-w...ewed-season-2/
Ph8te and Ben23 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-08-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
It's probably my favorite new show this season. Well earned renewal.
Ben23 likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-08-2019, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5937 Post(s)
Liked: 6534
Good news! This show tickles me; it's right down my alley. Along with 'Angie Tribeca', it's the only comedy I watch on broadcast/cable. I did enjoy 'LA to Vegas' quite a bit and its unfortunate cancellation sparked me no joy.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-08-2019, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6282 Post(s)
Liked: 5927
Amazing episode tonight. This show continues to make me laugh on a regular basis every episode.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-03-2019, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I don't say this often, but this show is an instant classic. The whole season has been a gem. The cast is great. The writing is great. I'll definately be watching this season multiple times.

Bat!
Ben23 likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-04-2019, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 433
I love the entire cast and laugh out loud multiple times every episode, but special props to Matt Berry's (Laszlo) line delivery skills. He's the one that cracks me up most often.

Garrett Adams likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-04-2019, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5937 Post(s)
Liked: 6534
The entire cast is very good. Going to have to find the movie on which it's based now. I can just imagine how funny Jermaine Clement must be in a role like this.

But it's still not as laugh-out-loud funny to me as my two favorite comedies of the last couple of years, both summarily executed now: 'Angie Tribeca' and 'LA to Vegas'.
Ben23 likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-04-2019, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The entire cast is very good. Going to have to find the movie on which it's based now. I can just imagine how funny Jermaine Clement must be in a role like this.
Yes, the movie is fantastic. I've owned the BR for quite some time.
Ph8te likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page