post #1 of 31 Old 11-02-2018, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 2191
Swamp Thing on DC Universe

‘Swamp Thing’: Virginia Madsen Cast As Maria Sunderland In DC Universe Series

EXCLUSIVE: Virginia Madsen is set as a key series regular opposite Crystal Reed in Swamp Thing, the upcoming streaming drama series based on the DC characters created by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson. The project, which hails from James Wan’s Atomic Monster in association with Warner Bros. Television, is set to premiere in 2019 on the DC Universe digital subscription service.

Written by Mark Verheiden and Gary Dauberman, Swamp Thing follows Abby Arcane (Reed) as she investigates what seems to be a deadly swamp-born virus in a small town in Louisiana but soon discovers that the swamp holds mystical and terrifying secrets. When unexplainable and chilling horrors emerge from the murky marsh, no one is safe.

Madsen will play Maria Sunderland, who traded in her privileged upbringing for the swamps of Marais when she married local business magnate Avery Sunderland (not yet cast), but Avery’s life-time obsession with the swamp has driven a wedge between him and Maria. Her poised existence is shaken further when the return of Abby Arcane reawakens a deep grief over the loss of Maria’s daughter, Shawna, drawing her into the dark supernatural mysteries emerging from the swamp.

Wan, Verheiden, Dauberman, Michael Clear and Wiseman are executive producers alongside Len Wiseman who is set to direct. Rob Hackett is co-producer.

Oscar- and Golden Globe-nominated for her performance in Alexander Payne’s Sideways, Madsen recently wrapped Epix miniseries The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair opposite Patrick Dempsey. She can most recently be seen in season one of CBS drama, American Gothic. She also recently wrapped shooting recurring roles on CBS’ Elementary and the new ABC hit drama, Designated Survivor. In film, she can be seen in the independent feature Her Smell, directed by Alex Ross Perry and starring Elisabeth Moss, which premiered this fall at TIFF. Madsen is repped by UTA and Untitled Entertainment.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/swamp-t...es-1202494336/
noob00224 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-02-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 125
They keep that screwed up Apple Tv App going and they will lose a lot of good will before the show ever appears.

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #3 of 31 Old 11-06-2018, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

‘Swamp Thing’: Will Patton Cast As Avery Sunderland In DC Universe Series

EXCLUSIVE: Will Patton has been cast as a lead opposite Crystal Reed in Swamp Thing, the upcoming streaming drama series based on the DC characters created by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson. Patton will play Avery Sunderland in the project, which hails from James Wan’s Atomic Monster in association with Warner Bros. Television, is set to premiere in 2019 on the DC Universe digital subscription service.

Written by Mark Verheiden and Gary Dauberman, Swamp Thing follows Abby Arcane (Reed) as she investigates what seems to be a deadly swamp-born virus in a small town in Louisiana but soon discovers that the swamp holds mystical and terrifying secrets. When unexplainable and chilling horrors emerge from the murky marsh, no one is safe.

As its most prominent businessman, Avery Sunderland (Patton) serves as the de facto patriarch of his Louisiana hometown, always giving back to the community. His benevolent veneer, however, masks a ruthless determination to harness the power of the swamp for profit.

Wan, Verheiden, Dauberman, Michael Clear and Wiseman are executive producers alongside Len Wiseman who is set to direct. Rob Hackett is co-producer.

Patton currently co-stars opposite Jamie Lee Curtis in the hit Halloween reboot. Earlier this year, he starred in Boaz Yakin’s Boarding School and An Actor Prepares with Jeremy Irons. On TV, Patton starred on the Fox drama series Shots Fired. His series credits also include TNT’s Falling Skies and CBS’ The Good Wife. He is repped by APA and Grand View Management.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/swamp-t...es-1202496341/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 11-07-2018, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

'Swamp Thing' Finds Its Title Character
By Graeme McMillan, The Hollywood Reporter - Nov. 6, 2018

The swamps of Louisiana have found its hero, with the casting of the title role of DC Universe’s Swamp Thing series.

Andy Bean and Derek Mears will play both sides of the DC antihero in the series. Bean, who’ll soon be seen in New Line’s It: Chapter 2, will play Alec Holland, a biologist who transforms into the Swamp Thing after discovering a strange illness may be connected to his work with the swamp.

Mears, a veteran of Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD, Sleepy Hollow and Live By Night, will play the creature that emerges after Holland’s accident. He must deal with what he has become to defend his town. Traditionally, the comic book version of the creature isn’t referred to as Swamp Thing, although it’s unclear whether this will be the case for the new series.

The two actors join a cast that includes Will Patton as Avery Sunderland and Crystal Reed as Abby Arcane.

Swamp Thing, adapted from the DC Entertainment comic character created by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson, is produced by Atomic Monster in association with Warner Bros. Television. The first episode of the series will be co-written by showrunners Mark Verheiden, whose credits include Battlestar Galactica and Daredevil, and It screenwriter Gary Dauberman, with Len Wiseman directing. Verheiden, Dauberman, Wiseman, Michael Clear and Aquaman director James Wan are executive producers on the series.

Swamp Thing is set to debut in 2019 on DC Universe, the Warner Bros SVOD platform currently airing the Titans series.

Bean is repped by TalentWorks and Magnolia Entertainment. Mears is repped by Gloria Hinojosa AEFH and Hayes Robbins at Stone Genow.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-thing-1158654

post #5 of 31 Old 11-07-2018, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Wow, this sounds terrible.
post #6 of 31 Old 11-07-2018, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I like several of the actors involved, but I think I will just pop in my Blu-ray of the Wes Craven Swamp Thing movie instead. While I am sure a lot of people will subscribe to every streaming service out there (Probably the same people that are paying over $100/month for cable/satellite), I just don't see myself subscribing to more than the Netflix and HBO Now that I already have.
post #7 of 31 Old 11-07-2018, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 126
If it was the Virginia Madsen of 35 years ago ("Class") then I'd be remotely interested.
post #8 of 31 Old 11-08-2018, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

‘Riverdale’ Actor Henderson Wade Joins ‘Swamp Thing’ Cast As Matt Cable

by Geoff Boucher
November 7, 2018 1:29pm

EXCLUSIVE: Riverdale and Extant actor Henderson Wade is joining the cast of Swamp Thing in the series-regular role of Matt Cable, a Louisiana lawman who finds himself in dire straits when supernatural evil threatens the town he’s sworn to protect.

Wade also wore a badge on six episodes of The CW’s Riverdale this season as Sheriff Michael Minetta. The Washington, D.C., native and Syracuse University graduate also portrayed Adhu, the son of Molly Woods (Halle Berry), in six episodes of Extant. Wade’s other credits include The Last Ship, American Horror Story: Roanoke, NCIS and Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce.

The Matt Cable character has a long history in the pages of DC Comics. He was introduced the first issue of Swamp Thing in 1972 (as a federal agent in that incarnation) and assigned to protect scientist Alec Holland. Cable fails in that assignment and blames a mysterious bog monster called Swamp Thing for Holland’s fiery death. That begins a long and twisting history for Cable, the creature and Abby Arcane.

The Cable character has been reframed for the new Swamp Thing supernatural horror series that will premiere in 2019 as core original programming from DC Universe, the just-launched subscription streaming site from Warner Bros Digital Networks.

The logline says the show will follow Abby Arcane (Crystal Reed) as she returns to her rural hometown on a mission: “Abby investigates what seems to be a deadly swamp-born virus in a small town in Louisiana but soon discovers that the swamp holds mystical and terrifying secrets.” Abby has history with the son of Sheriff Lucilla Cable — she was young Matt’s childhood crush.

Swamp Thing is from executive producers James Wan, Mark Verheiden, Gary Dauberman, Michael Clear and Len Wiseman based on characters from DC that were created by Len Wein and Berni Wrightson. Rob Hackett is co-producer. The series is produced by Atomic Monster in association with Warner Bros. Television. Len Wiseman will direct the first episode off of a script by Verheiden and Dauberman.

Wade is repped by the Strain Group and Stride Management.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/riverda...se-1202497844/

post #9 of 31 Old 11-08-2018, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4639 Post(s)
Liked: 2943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Edward View Post
I like several of the actors involved, but I think I will just pop in my Blu-ray of the Wes Craven Swamp Thing movie instead. While I am sure a lot of people will subscribe to every streaming service out there (Probably the same people that are paying over $100/month for cable/satellite), I just don't see myself subscribing to more than the Netflix and HBO Now that I already have.
I guess you can just rewatch that super old movie every week over and over again. That'll be exactly the same thing as watching weekly episodes of a new DC show.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #10 of 31 Old 11-08-2018, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I guess you can just rewatch that super old movie every week over and over again. That'll be exactly the same thing as watching weekly episodes of a new DC show.
I assume you are being a bit facetious with your reply. I just meant that what I have read about the show will not make me subscribe to a new streaming service, and I can get my desire for anything Swamp Thing satiated by watching the movie. It is silly to say watching the same movie 10 times is the same as watching a season of episodic television, which isn't what I meant to imply.
post #11 of 31 Old 11-09-2018, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

They like to screw around with well established characters. Why not make the Swamp Thing female and very short.

post #12 of 31 Old 11-09-2018, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post
They like to screw around with well established characters. Why not make the Swamp Thing female and very short.
Well, it is Swamp-THING. Does not imply gender.
post #13 of 31 Old 11-10-2018, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe Marvel will turn Man-Thing female ?

post #14 of 31 Old 04-18-2019, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

First Swamp Thing teaser shows off supernatural superhero amid reports of cut episode order

The first teaser for DC Universe’s upcoming Swamp Thing TV series arrived Wednesday afternoon, but it came on the heels of reports that production on the series had been cut unexpectedly short.

The teaser, clocking in around 45 seconds long, slowly zooms in across a creepy, atmospheric lake. Suddenly, there he is: The titular Swamp Thing, rising out of the murky depths with his plantlike skin and blazing red eyes.

The teaser arrived just hours after news broke that production had been unexpectedly cut short on Swamp Thing. The series has been filming in Wilmington, N.C., and local outlet Star News reported that producers assembled cast and crew Tuesday night to announce that filming will cease after completing episode 10. Originally, the show was set for 13 episodes.

Warner Bros. had no comment.

Swamp Thing is based on the titular character originally created by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson, and made even more popular by the innovative ’80s comics of Alan Moore, Stephen Bissette, and John Totleben. The show is set to follow Abby Arcane (Crystal Reed) as she investigates what appears to be a deadly swamp virus in Louisiana. She soon finds out, however, that the swamp’s secrets are even more mystical and terrifying than she thought. She’ll cross paths with scientist Alec Holland (Andy Bean), who is destined to transform into Swamp Thing (Derek Mears).

Per the teaser, Swamp Thing is still set to premiere May 31 on DC Universe.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/17/first-s...-cut-episodes/

Teaser:

post #15 of 31 Old 04-18-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My girlfriend and I were discussing summer shows. I mentioned Swamp Thing and what the character was. She gave me one of those 'that stinks' looks, shook her head and commented that shows like this:

" That's a Man Thing ! "

I had to laugh....

post #16 of 31 Old 04-18-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post
My girlfriend and I were discussing summer shows. I mentioned Swamp Thing and what the character was. She gave me one of those 'that stinks' looks, shook her head and commented that shows like this:

" That's a Man Thing ! "

I had to laugh....
Did you laugh because she was saying this is a thing only a man would like or that Swamp Thing and Man-Thing are kind of similar?
post #17 of 31 Old 04-18-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
Did you laugh because she was saying this is a thing only a man would like or that Swamp Thing and Man-Thing are kind of similar?
Both !

post #18 of 31 Old 04-24-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 1822
post #19 of 31 Old 05-28-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #20 of 31 Old 06-02-2019, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Good production value, especially for superhero themed shows.
Stylistically looks like a late 90's/ early 2000 horror movie, in a positive way.
Packed first episode with good conclusion, not drawn out.
Tim Russ is also staring.
1st episode directed by Len Wiseman.
WilliamR likes this.

Last edited by noob00224; 06-02-2019 at 04:33 AM.
post #21 of 31 Old 06-03-2019, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Good production value, especially for superhero themed shows.
Stylistically looks like a late 90's/ early 2000 horror movie, in a positive way.
Packed first episode with good conclusion, not drawn out.
Tim Russ is also staring.
1st episode directed by Len Wiseman.
We like the look of the show, very well done set pieces. Has a great "vibe" to it.
noob00224 likes this.

post #22 of 31 Old 06-03-2019, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I really liked the pilot episode. Looks expensive as F. The only minor complaint is the lack of proper reactions to some of things going on.
post #23 of 31 Old 06-03-2019, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 2886
Can someone who's a subscriber confirm the aspect ratio of this series? That trailer appears to be 2.35:1. Is that the actual aspect ratio of the show? Thanks.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #24 of 31 Old 06-03-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is anyone getting this in 4k HDR? I'm not on my Vizio and just wondering if it's working on other devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Can someone who's a subscriber confirm the aspect ratio of this series? That trailer appears to be 2.35:1. Is that the actual aspect ratio of the show? Thanks.
2.2:1
Josh Z likes this.
post #25 of 31 Old 06-04-2019, 12:33 AM

According to this there will only be one season (1:08:46):

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCuniverse/...es_shy_of_the/

Last edited by noob00224; 06-04-2019 at 12:38 AM.
post #26 of 31 Old 06-06-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

1 episode in and already cancelled

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/356...d-swamp-thing/

Edit: The Slashfilm article points out the writer mentioning NC tax break problems had a lot to do with it in this Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/gholson/status/1136654411399389186

Last edited by puddy77; 06-06-2019 at 08:58 AM.
post #27 of 31 Old 06-07-2019, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 2054
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
1 episode in and already cancelled

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/356...d-swamp-thing/

Edit: The Slashfilm article points out the writer mentioning NC tax break problems had a lot to do with it in this Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/gholson/status/1136654411399389186
My assessment:

If the decision to produce a show is dependent upon getting a tax break, you probably ought to be thinking about getting into a different business because you're doing it wrong.

It's getting out of hand that we have productions essentially auctioning themselves off to the highest bidder on tax incentives, only to find themselves in a moral quandary when the state decides to pass some sort of legislation they don't agree with and they end up not wanting to shoot there.

Either that, or the incentives go away and they either cancel the show or end up having to pack the whole thing up and move it.

Having said that, this sounds like DC Universe pretty much immediately regretted making the show and this was the best excuse to bail that deflected the blame away from themselves.
post #28 of 31 Old 06-07-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Having said that, this sounds like DC Universe pretty much immediately regretted making the show and this was the best excuse to bail that deflected the blame away from themselves.
Why would they regret making it?
post #29 of 31 Old 06-08-2019, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 2054
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob00224 View Post
Why would they regret making it?
I have no idea. It's just sounds like it since right out of the gate, they shut down production to reduce the episode order, then cancelled it before more than one episode aired.

Does that sound like a company that's fully committed to a show?

This is like CBS and The Dukes of Hazzard all over again. They hated that show so much, they sabotaged it in later seasons because they wanted to cancel it, but didn't want to get all the complaint letters if it went out while it was still hot. They figured if they cut the budget and forced them to use models for the jumps, they audience would just disappear on its own.

My guess is some executive saw the final product and it wasn't what he/she was sold on and decided it had to go.
post #30 of 31 Old 06-15-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 635
I agree it sounds like DC wanted to end this show. However you slice it... What's the value in sabotaging viewership after episode 1 by saying it is already canceled? You've pretty much ensured all the casual viewers bail immediately. Why bother when the show is done?

FYI, I read subsequently that NC disputes the claim of tax shenanigans... an NC rep went on record (sorry I don't have a link convenient) saying that the studio knew the tax deal up front and they (NC) have a signed agreement spelling out those particular tax breaks... which would mean trying to blame NC for pulling back the deal isn't the problem after all.

I thought it was telling that they were told to cut from 13 to 10 while still shooting and they had to improvise to end the show at 10 episodes... which means pretty much everyone on set was surprised. I've also heard rumblings that DC is considering slashing the whole DC network. Maybe it is underperforming as a whole even if people have liked Titans and Doom Patrol as offerings. I always felt this was a weird way to launch with very limited catalog and only a handful of new things... much smarter if it was part of a larger WB streaming network that included lots of other things. It was also especially convoluted when you factor in all the CW DC character shows that were NOT part of the DC streaming service because they are part of the CW offering... and there's WAY more of that content than DC was generating for their DC streaming service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page