Project Blue Book on History by Robert Zemeckis - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 168Likes

post #31 of 251 Old 01-18-2019, 10:18 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Yeah, as much as, like Fox Mulder, I want to believe, I won't believe until there is hard, uncontrovertible, verifiable evidence. Until then, any speculation is just science fiction, not to be taken seriously by serious people.
So you don't put any stock in eyewitness accounts, regardless of how credible the source is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 251 Old 01-18-2019, 10:42 AM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
Hey, anyone remember that OTHER "UFO" show with the British chicks with purple hair and silver jumpsuits staffing a lunar base in the "futuristic" year of 1980? I must have dreamed that one...
Maybe you're thinking of "Space: 1999"? Or possibly Hammer's Moon Zero Two?

Neither are set in 1980. But I believe both can be streamed free w/ads on the Shout Factory TV site. The Shout Factory Moon Zero Two is the MST3K version, which is probably edited for TV.

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/series/space-1999

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/myster...dbc007f7009543

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknite9099 View Post
Gerry Anderson's UFO Great flick for its time. But back in the late 1960s it was set so FAR in the future..... 1980!
Nevermind.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 01-18-2019 at 10:47 AM.
post #33 of 251 Old 01-18-2019, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Check out this fascinating old docu-drama. It's a true artifact of the mid-1950s American obsession with all the sightings of multiple objects in the sky that took place in the late 40s and early 50s pretty much all over the world.

I saw Dragnet's Jack Webb talking about this flick (20 years after it was released) on Johnny Carson's show when I was a kid; Webb had been fascinated by the phenomenon for years before he produced Project UFO for NBC. I recall him saying something to the effect that one of the most common "official" explanations for visual sightings of unidentified objects in the sky was usually "meteors;" but we all know that meteors do not fly in formation, or make right angle turns at high-mach velocities.

OTOH, if Zemeckis' new series is going to just keep repeating their own kind of paranoid delusion impression of X-Files, maybe we'll be writing this one off as more "drama" than "docu."
ADU and Tack like this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 251 Old 01-18-2019, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Well their is no way to go faster than the speed of light according to current laws of Physics ' Not saying some advance race 1000 years a head of us has not done it' but even then it takes 100 of LY's to get around to different systems. If some race spent all that time coming here why would they not make their self known. They always land in some swamp or desert and some guys with no teeth always see them but no one else.
post #35 of 251 Old 01-18-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 3333 Post(s)
Liked: 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
So you don't put any stock in eyewitness accounts, regardless of how credible the source is?
Those astronauts are all nuts, anyway.
ADU likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #36 of 251 Old 01-18-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6727 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Nah. My grandma swears she saw Elvis in a 7/11 once. I don't believe that either. And my granny had pretty good vision for an ol' geezer.

We simply don't have any physical evidence, nor any credible photographic evidence, of UFO's. We look all over the skies with telescopes and other sensors that get better and better and we just don't see or hear anything.

That doesn't mean there isn't intelligent life out there somewhere. I think it's probably likely we're not alone in the universe. Just that they haven't stopped by our little blue rock for a visit. Maybe we're just off the beaten track.
ADU likes this.
post #37 of 251 Old 01-18-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 1413
Inhabitants of Earth will eventually have to relocate before our enlarging Star (the Sun) reaches Earth in about 5 million years. Actually we would probably be cooked in the in the first couple of million years. Let's get to work!
ADU likes this.
post #38 of 251 Old 01-18-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Inhabitants of Earth will eventually have to relocate before our enlarging Star (the Sun) reaches Earth in about 5 million years. Actually we would probably be cooked in the in the first couple of million years. Let's get to work!
More like 5 billion years. I like the show but I'm a sucker for almost anything UFO related. I do believe extraterrestrials are here and have been for at least decades, there are several alien races, and that some, ie the "Greys" conduct abductions on humans and animals. There's no "smoking gun" but too many people have seen them and some people have experienced abductions, some since childhood. Or have seen alien bases like in Dulce NM like the late Phil Schneider. I've read many well researched books on the subject and there's just no way imo all these people (including astronauts) are lying or delusional. And the government has been caught lying on the subject too many times to count.
ADU likes this.

Sony 65A1E
post #39 of 251 Old 01-18-2019, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked: 3545
Why we should take UFO sightings seriously

Why don’t astronomers see UFOs?

I am often asked by friends and colleagues, “Why don’t astronomers see UFOs?” The fact is that they do. In 1977, Peter Sturrock, a professor of space science and astrophysics at Stanford University, mailed 2,611 questionnaires about UFO sightings to members of the American Astronomical Society. He received 1,356 responses from which 62 astronomers – 4.6 percent – reported witnessing or recording inexplicable aerial phenomena. This rate is similar to the approximately 5 percent of UFO sightings that are never explained.

As expected, Sturrock found that astronomers who witnessed UFOs were more likely to be night sky observers. Over 80 percent of Sturrock’s respondents were willing to study the UFO phenomenon if there was a way to do so. More than half of them felt that the topic deserves to be studied versus 20 percent who felt that it should not. The survey also revealed that younger scientists were more likely to support the study of UFOs.

UFOs have been observed through telescopes. I know of one telescope sighting by an experienced amateur astronomer in which he observed an object shaped like a guitar pick moving through the telescope’s field of view. Further sightings are documented in the book “Wonders in the Sky,” in which the authors compile numerous observations of unexplained aerial phenomena made by astronomers and published in scientific journals throughout the 1700s and 1800s.
ADU likes this.
post #40 of 251 Old 01-18-2019, 05:54 PM

^^^ I've seen some pretty weird stuff in the night sky too. But usually after hitting the Blanton's a little too hard.
mike1812 likes this.
post #41 of 251 Old 01-18-2019, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I saw two, in formation, when I was 12. My parents did not believe me until there was a story in the newspaper a few days later.
ADU likes this.

post #42 of 251 Old 01-18-2019, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 21
only the VICTIM can understand
post #43 of 251 Old 01-19-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My cousin and I saw a UFO back in the mid 70s. At the time I was into taking sunset pictures, so we were on top of Skyline Drive, close to Big Meadows, waiting for the big moment. Leading up to that time, I'd snapped a few shots when my cousin asked me what the object on the horizon was. We could see this long object just sitting there. It really was difficult to tell how far away it was, but it appeared to be over the Massanutten Mountain, which is on the other side of the Shenandoah Valley, or it may have been over the far end of the valley. It was impossible to tell. Anyway, we watched this object just sit there at the same angle for 45 minutes before it started to move. And it moved in our direction, just slightly to our left. So we watched this object move slowly across the valley until it reached somewhere close to our 10 o'clock position when this smaller object shot out from its midsection at about its 4 o'clock position and disappeared in an instant. This caused us both to freak out. We could not believe what we were seeing. It was shortly afterward that it turned and headed directly toward us. I had changed to the 135mm lens and put my camera to my eye and watched it go right over my head and disappear. When the sun sets and you are looking at the zenith, light changes at that point and I guess that's why I could no longer see it once it went beyond 12 o'clock. Unfortunately, when it started moving toward us from across the valley I didn't take any pictures; this includes when it was directly overhead with my finger on the shutter button. I was not going to waste film on an object that meant nothing even though I was freaking out over it. It has haunted me ever since. Of the pictures I took earlier, you can see the object on the horizon so I do have something. It shows up much better on the negatives. The object never made a sound. It looked like the shiny side of aluminum foil and had no markings of any kind. The picture below looks almost exactly like what I saw except it didn't have the propulsion system that one has and was thinner and longer. It had no gondola. No rudder. Nothing. I have no clue what it was, but it was one hell of an experience.

Retired Major Donald Keyhoe, a big believer in UFOs and the government cover-up, lived in the Shenandoah Valley at the time, so I decided I was going to pay him a visit. I hadn't developed my film but I went anyway because I couldn't wait another day. He said he wasn't aware of any UFOs being reported. We talked for about a half-an-hour, or actually he did. He was going to give a speech at a conference, I believe in Canada, and it turned out I was his guinea pig. This is an interview he did with Mike Wallace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airballon.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	2513076  
Rgb, archiguy and Rex Steinkuller like this.

Last edited by Aliens; 01-19-2019 at 11:00 AM.
post #44 of 251 Old 01-19-2019, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Gee ,I am so glad our government never lies to us. Still like the show.
post #45 of 251 Old 01-19-2019, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Nah. My grandma swears she saw Elvis in a 7/11 once. I don't believe that either. And my granny had pretty good vision for an ol' geezer.

We simply don't have any physical evidence, nor any credible photographic evidence, of UFO's. We look all over the skies with telescopes and other sensors that get better and better and we just don't see or hear anything.

That doesn't mean there isn't intelligent life out there somewhere. I think it's probably likely we're not alone in the universe. Just that they haven't stopped by our little blue rock for a visit. Maybe we're just off the beaten track.
If you were a highly advanced intelligent race from another world, would you visit this planet after observing it? I probably wouldn't.
archiguy, Josh Z and I WANT MORE like this.
post #46 of 251 Old 01-19-2019, 11:40 AM

Seriously! We are just a colony of nuclear termites to them. If we continue to create problems, we will "get handled" ※¤
WLGeter likes this.
post #47 of 251 Old 01-19-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy View Post
If you were a highly advanced intelligent race from another world, would you visit this planet after observing it? I probably wouldn't.
Good point. I'd hang the stellar equivalent of a "quarantine" sign on the approaches to Sol system and wait a couple of thousand years to see if we're ever able to work this crap out.
ss9001 likes this.
post #48 of 251 Old 01-19-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

They'd better look like Barbie and Ken, and do not wear sought after sneakers, that will surely get you killed.
post #49 of 251 Old 01-19-2019, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5022 Post(s)
Liked: 6841
I don't know if some of you guys are serious or not. Why would a species capable of getting here and "hiding" possibly have to gain by doing so. That's like me pulling over on my way to work to seek out a single mold spore in a forest, ... and watching it. We represent an infinitesimally small fraction of a fraction of a second in universe time. We are nobodies. No one cares. Believing in UFO's is no different than religion. Our built in sense of self importance demands it, I guess.

Speaking of "telescopes and other sensors that get better and better", bad news. Turns out there's no "Class M" planets to be found. It's a giant, toxic, radiated, tailing of a massive explosion that we'll never understand, and we are the lottery winners.
Randy Bessinger likes this.
post #50 of 251 Old 01-19-2019, 07:55 PM

They've been here longer than us! IntraTererestrials in underwater facilities & cavernous areas all over earth. I consider Linda Moulton Howe a leading expert.
post #51 of 251 Old 01-20-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I don't know if some of you guys are serious or not. Why would a species capable of getting here and "hiding" possibly have to gain by doing so. That's like me pulling over on my way to work to seek out a single mold spore in a forest, ... and watching it. We represent an infinitesimally small fraction of a fraction of a second in universe time. We are nobodies. No one cares. Believing in UFO's is no different than religion. Our built in sense of self importance demands it, I guess.

Speaking of "telescopes and other sensors that get better and better", bad news. Turns out there's no "Class M" planets to be found. It's a giant, toxic, radiated, tailing of a massive explosion that we'll never understand, and we are the lottery winners.
I was going to give you a "like" and shake my pom-poms in your general direction... until that second paragraph. It's far more likely there are a slew of M-class planets out there - uncounted zillions of 'em - than intelligent life chillin' there and taking interstellar excursions to check out the wildlife in our neighborhood. We've already spotted thousands of them spinning around in various star systems' "goldilocks zones".

Even lots of water, possibly of the liquid variety, isn't that unusual on such a moderately temperate world. The physical conditions of planet formation are probably pretty typical all over the place given stars of roughly our size. Then, the "lottery" comes in where all the debris coalesces and forms a planet. If you're not too near & not too far from your sun, you've got an M-class world. Even moons of large planets could qualify if the solar distance was right.

What makes us unique is all our oxygen. To get that, you've got to have photosynthetic life that's capable of splitting water molecules apart as part of its energy-making process. Free oxygen floating around is extremely rare. We didn't have any of it to speak of until primitive algaes and other slimy greeny-growy stuff started filling up the oceans a half billion years or so ago.
curtlots and ss9001 like this.
post #52 of 251 Old 01-20-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:

Maybe they got stuck in traffic on the Long Island Expressway!!
gprace likes this.

post #53 of 251 Old 01-20-2019, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5022 Post(s)
Liked: 6841
Quote:
I was going to give you a "like" and shake my pom-poms in your general direction... until that second paragraph. It's far more likely there are a slew of M-class planets out there - uncounted zillions of 'em - than intelligent life chillin' there and taking interstellar excursions to check out the wildlife in our neighborhood. We've already spotted thousands of them spinning around in various star systems' "goldilocks zones".

Even lots of water, possibly of the liquid variety, isn't that unusual on such a moderately temperate world. The physical conditions of planet formation are probably pretty typical all over the place given stars of roughly our size. Then, the "lottery" comes in where all the debris coalesces and forms a planet. If you're not too near & not too far from your sun, you've got an M-class world. Even moons of large planets could qualify if the solar distance was right.

What makes us unique is all our oxygen. To get that, you've got to have photosynthetic life that's capable of splitting water molecules apart as part of its energy-making process. Free oxygen floating around is extremely rare. We didn't have any of it to speak of until primitive algaes and other slimy greeny-growy stuff started filling up the oceans a half billion years or so ago.
I would really love to believe that, and used to, but the newest data doesn't look real great. I figured you of all people would have been keeping up with this stuff. I'm sure they exist somewhere, but nowhere near the Carl Sagan *illions levels your'e talking about.

New data from the European Gaia space telescope could lead to a downward revision to tally of Earth-like worlds
post #54 of 251 Old 01-20-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Why we should take UFO sightings seriously

Why don’t astronomers see UFOs?

I am often asked by friends and colleagues, “Why don’t astronomers see UFOs?” ...
Why do people think astronomers are natural UFO experts? They study stars, galaxies, black holes etc, Ufology is not their field of expertise. This was a good talk by Stanton Friedman which touched on that. Sound quality is bad unfortunately.

Sony 65A1E
post #55 of 251 Old 01-20-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I would really love to believe that, and used to, but the newest data doesn't look real great. I figured you of all people would have been keeping up with this stuff. I'm sure they exist somewhere, but nowhere near the Carl Sagan *illions levels your'e talking about.
Oh, I don't think that disproves my theory at all. The galaxy is a big place and we've only observed a teensy-tiny slice of it. Estimating the sizes & composition of exoplanets is as much an art as a science at this point. There could easily be millions of rocky M-class exoplanets out there. And if a star is larger than our sun, that only moves the habitable zone out a little further, no? And planets form the same way no matter the size of their sun. You got a bunch of rocky debris orbiting in a certain spread and at a certain speed, eventually you're likely to get a planet out of it.

So I'm sticking by my estimate of millions of 'em. But in deference to the Gaia Mission research team, I'll downgrade it from "billyuns and billyuns".

I actually met Carl Sagan once. True story! I didn't ask him to say that though.
post #56 of 251 Old 01-21-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^

That was in post #43 .
Rex Steinkuller likes this.
post #57 of 251 Old 01-21-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Oh, I don't think that disproves my theory at all. The galaxy is a big place and we've only observed a teensy-tiny slice of it. Estimating the sizes & composition of exoplanets is as much an art as a science at this point. There could easily be millions of rocky M-class exoplanets out there. And if a star is larger than our sun, that only moves the habitable zone out a little further, no? And planets form the same way no matter the size of their sun. You got a bunch of rocky debris orbiting in a certain spread and at a certain speed, eventually you're likely to get a planet out of it.

So I'm sticking by my estimate of millions of 'em. But in deference to the Gaia Mission research team, I'll downgrade it from "billyuns and billyuns".

I actually met Carl Sagan once. True story! I didn't ask him to say that though.
But at this point we don’t know how life started so we don’t know how rare or the odds it would develope much less intelligent life. A recent Oxford study using the best math and info we have says intelligent life may be very rare and possibly we are alone. Depressing but that is some of the most current scientific thinking...Fermi paradox and all that stuff.
Tack likes this.
post #58 of 251 Old 01-21-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger View Post
But at this point we don’t know how life started so we don’t know how rare or the odds it would develope much less intelligent life. A recent Oxford study using the best math and info we have says intelligent life may be very rare and possibly we are alone. Depressing but that is some of the most current scientific thinking...Fermi paradox and all that stuff.
Really, really smart guy Marshall Savage says much the same thing in his seminal 1992 work, "The Millennial Foundation". Working from an assumption among some proto-biologists that it would take a minimum of 600 building-block amino-acid type molecules interacting randomly in the primordial soup to finally, by sheer chance, stumble upon the right combination to become self-replicating, let alone surviving long enough to keep self-replicating and have a built in error process that would allow for mutations and thus evolution, the factorial number that comes to is greater than all the stars currently thought to be in the known universe. So, from just a pure mathematical probability standpoint, we may indeed be something really special. It's basically an impossibility, except here we are to prove it happened. At least once.

Personally, I'm more optimistic. I think life exists elsewhere, maybe even on some of the moons of our gas giant planets where we figure liquid water exists below the surface. But intelligent life, capable of becoming a space-faring race? That I'm a bit more skeptical of.

But, like Fox Mulder, I want to believe.
Tack likes this.
post #59 of 251 Old 01-21-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
^^^

That was in post #43 .
You are correct! My apologies.
The link at #43 is not obvious, which is probably why I missed it. Maybe it was the browser I was using.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=ZHYUNMvtarI
post #60 of 251 Old 01-21-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Given that the universe is infinite, to think we are the only intelligent species is the height of hubris. Although, given how people in this country generally think (or more appropriately, don't think), that opinion being the prevailing one is not surprising.
Garrett Adams likes this.

Last edited by RayGuy; 01-21-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page