Project Blue Book on History by Robert Zemeckis - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 119Likes

post #1 of 198 Old 11-14-2018, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked: 2381
Project Blue Book on History by Robert Zemeckis

The article contains both his upcoming movie project but also his new series.

Robert Zemeckis Returns To Science Fiction With ‘Project Blue Book’ & ‘Bios’

by Geoff Boucher
November 14, 2018 5:55am

EXCLUSIVE: Now this has a familiar ring to it: Robert Zemeckis is revisiting the 1950s to rewrite history with one new project and then he’s going back to the future to prove the power of love with a second project.

No, Zemeckis isn’t revving up the DeLorean for more Marty McFly sequels — however, the director of the Back to the Future trilogy (1985-1990) and Contact (1997) is making a relatively rare return to science fiction with the two projects. This time around, however, his foray into the genre is in a producing role. On Monday, Zemeckis talked about the two projects: Bios, the upcoming feature film; and Project Blue Book, a television series that premieres in January on History.

Bios, scheduled to start filming early next year, reunites Zemeckis with one of his most celebrated collaborators. “We’re producing a really magnificent science fiction project called Bios with Tom Hanks,” Zemeckis said. “It’s a really cool science-fiction story. It’s set in a post-apocalytptic world and Tom Hanks may or may not be the last human survivor on the planet.”

Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment picked Bios up in October. The script is by Craig Luck (Solo: A Star Wars Movie) and Ivor Powell (Blade Runner).

Spielberg described the movie in an October statement as “an original, emotionally stirring tale that at its core is very much an Amblin movie” and added that he could think of “no one more perfect to embody this story about the meaning of being human than Tom Hanks.”

Hanks will portray Finch, the last man on earth, who decides he must plan for the worst by building a robot that could care for his dog if in the event of his death. The canine is the only thing in the world that Finch truly loves. His challenge, however, is programming the robot to “love” the dog and teaching the dog to accept the strange synthetic newcomer as a member of their pack.

Having Hanks portray a lonely, resourceful soul with only a nonspeaking companion to keep him company brings to mind Cast Away (2000), which Zemeckis memorably directed with the actor. That movie was filmed between 1998 to 2000 with long gaps so Hanks could better transform himself by adding a beard and losing weight. The $90 million film hauled in $430 million in worldwide box office.

Cast Away was their third film together. Their first was the epic Forrest Gump (1994), which won an Academy Award for each of them as well as the Oscar trophy for best picture. The crowd-pleasing film also made $678 million off of a $55 million budget. Their second teaming was The Polar Express (2009), which featured Hanks in six roles, and has become a holiday staple. Zemeckis said he and Hanks developed a special rapport with all that successful and intense history.

“We have a terrific shorthand,” Zemeckis said. “When you work with someone like Tom for so long and on so many things you can’t help but have a shorthand when you’re doing things. We’re always kicking around ideas for movies and stories and things to do. This time I’m not directing, I’m producing, so that’s different. The director is Miguel Sapochnik. He’s a great guy and it’s going to be awesome. It’s a really, really good project.”

Sapochnik won a primetime Emmy for directing Battle of the Bastards, a Game of Thrones episode from the show’s eighth season. His directing credits also include the 2010 feature film Repo Man and work on the Netflix series Altered Carbon.
Another Game of Thrones alumnus, actor Aidan Gillen, is on board as the star of the television series Project Blue Book. The Irish actor portrays the scheming Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish on the HBO fantasy series and he plays Queen’s manager, John Reid, in the Fox film Bohemian Rhapsody. Other credits include The Wire and The Dark Knight Rises.

“Aidan is terrific,” Zemeckis said. “And, yes, I’m a fan of Game of Thrones. Of course I am a fan. It’s a great series.”

Project Blue Book is a one-hour drama that premieres on Jan. 8 on History and stars Gillen as a brilliant professor recruited by the U.S. Air Force to spearhead the military’s clandestine investigations into reports of UFOs and related phenomena.
Each episode will draw material from the actual declassified government files that were top secret when they were originally compiled under the Blue Book header. That archive of files spans the years between 1952 (when the U.S. detonated the first Hydrogen bomb) and 1969 (when NASA’s Apollo 11 landed on the moon).

The show also stars Michael Malarkey (The Vampire Diaries), Neal McDonough (Arrow), Laura Mennell (Watchmen), Michael Harney (Orange is the New Black) and Ksenia Solo (Black Swan).
The melding of authentic reports with classic UFO theories and then framed with the drama’s newly invented characters and plots made for an especially compelling series pitch, Zemeckis said.

“The challenge, I think, and what makes it interesting is that there are different adventures [from the government files] about these different phenomena,” Zemeckis said. “So these different incidents happen but there’s also this core story that holds it all together and I think that’s pretty unique in television. It’s like having an anthology without having an anthology. That’s exciting. I thought it was the best thing with the project and the most challenging part of the project.”

Also on deck for producer Zemeckis, as Deadline reported in February: Steel Soldiers , an action/sci-fi film that STX Entertainment and China’s Alibaba Pictures will co-develop and co-produce with Zemeckis’s ImageMovers. The original screenplay by Ken Kaufman (Space Cowboys) presents a world where humans and androids fight shoulder-to-shoulder, posing fundamental questions about humanity with a futuristic battlefield backdrop.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/robert-...os-1202501178/
Don S likes this.

Last edited by WilliamR; 11-14-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 198 Old 11-14-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Liked: 3172
I read Project Blue Book in the 70s, and after reading dozens and dozens of books on the subject, it was clear it was a phony investigation designed to uncover nothing. Ironically, Hynek went from being a non-believer to believing in the UFO phenomenon, although he did believe it could entail many different things. Obviously, I have no interest in this because I know how it ends.
post #3 of 198 Old 11-14-2018, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked: 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
“The challenge, I think, and what makes it interesting is that there are different adventures [from the government files] about these different phenomena,” Zemeckis said. “So these different incidents happen but there’s also this core story that holds it all together and I think that’s pretty unique in television. It’s like having an anthology without having an anthology. That’s exciting. I thought it was the best thing with the project and the most challenging part of the project.”
So, it's The X Files, then?

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 198 Old 11-14-2018, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I will be watching this show for sure.
post #5 of 198 Old 01-07-2019, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked: 2381
‘Project Blue Book’ offers weak tea ‘X-Files’
By Rob Owen, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's 'Tuned In' Column - Jan. 3, 2019

This month two scripted series debut using Area 51 as a backdrop, History’s “Project Blue Book” and The CW reboot “Roswell, New Mexico.” Not all alien-themed series are created equal.

“Project Blue Book”

Imagine a more obvious, predictable version of “The X-Files” without the smart character development or opportunity for romance between the lead characters and you’ll know what to expect from History’s “Project Blue Book” (10 p.m. Tuesday).

Supposedly “inspired by” the personal experiences of Dr. J. Allen Hynek (Aidan Gillen, who played Littlefinger on “Game of Thrones”), the series is told from Hynek’s point of view. He’s the Mulder — albeit more questioner than true believer — to Air Force captain Quinn (Michael Malarkey, “The Vampire Diaries”), who’s a soldier more devoted to career advancement than to scientific skepticism. Hynek wants to find the truth; Quinn just wants to close cases.

In early episodes, the pair investigates a dogfight between a fighter jet and UFO over North Dakota and a potential crashed UFO in West Virginia.

Slathered over the top is a running mystery about a man in a black hat whom Hynek keeps seeing. Black Hat leads him to an abandoned amusement park where a film playing shows a symbol that is supposed to have great portent. But these potentially intriguing moments feel entirely manufactured, and the plots in between are paint-by-number plain with sometimes painfully bad dialogue.

“Don’t tell us how to run our town!” shout locals to the Feds in the West Virginia episode, sounding like torch-bearing villagers from a low-rent production of “Beauty and the Beast.” “We don’t need your kind here!”

Air Force higher-ups (Neal McDonough, Michael Harney) encourage Quinn to keep Hynek in line, always disproving the existence of UFOs, but episode two reveals the military leaders are sitting on a big secret themselves.

The third episode moves the ball forward ever so slightly as Quinn experiences firsthand a potential encounter with a UFO, but then he gets marching orders and follows right along. Viewers have seen this two-steps-forward-one-step-back shuffle in plenty of past UFO, conspiracy-minded series. There’s no reason to sit through it again.

“Roswell, New Mexico”

A reboot of the 1999-2002 WB series “Roswell,” The CW’s “Roswell, New Mexico” (9 p.m. Jan. 15, WPCW-TV) adds a timely, more specific immigration overlay as border patrol not only goes after illegal human immigrants, but the military also tracks the hiding-in-plain-sight aliens who crash-landed in Roswell in 1947.

Sometimes the aliens-as-immigrants rhetoric is a little too on the nose (“They are a violent race,” says a military leader of the extraterrestrial threat. “At their core, they’re killers!”) but as remakes go, this iteration of “Roswell” seems like it will appeal to the current CW audience. (Whether fans of the original watch is immaterial to CW execs; at this point, fans of the first series are mostly outside The CW’s key demo.)

The story begins as Liz Ortecho (Jeanine Mason) returns to Roswell after working in bio research in Denver. She reconnects with her teenage crush, Max Evans (Nathan Parsons), a Roswell cop who is also an alien with powers he uses to save Liz’s life after she is shot.

When Liz starts investigating her wound — Max healed it on the spot — Max wants to tell Liz his secret, much to the chagrin of his alien sister, Isobel (Lily Cowles), and their alien friend, Michael (Michael Vlamis).

Redeveloped by Carina Adly MacKenzie (“The Originals,” “The Flash”) and executive produced by Julie Plec (“The Originals,” “Legacies”), this iteration of “Roswell” ages up the characters. On the original “Roswell,” which began as a book series, the characters were all teenagers in high school. This new pilot begins with the characters attending their 10-year high school reunion.

Reimagined “Roswell” also contains a murder mystery and a gay couple, which were not part of the original mix. Isobel is married to a human, and he doesn’t know her secret (yet).

As for casting different actors as these characters who generally adhere to the same archetypes (just older), they’re fine but may be hard to embrace for fans of the original series. One potential couple has notably more chemistry than another potential couple.

Was a “Roswell” remake necessary? Probably not, but if it prevents The CW from making yet another superhero series, then it’s accomplished something positive.

https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-r...s/201901040008

post #6 of 198 Old 01-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Read the book,will give the show a try.
ADU likes this.
post #7 of 198 Old 01-08-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I'll check out the Project Blue Book series. As a kid in the 70's I watched the first incarnation named Project UFO that aired on NBC for 2 seasons. Could be fun, could be a dud. We'll see.
ADU likes this.
post #8 of 198 Old 01-08-2019, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 329
UFOs? Is it the 90s again?

Don't get me wrong I'm probably the biggest X-Files fan there is but this is an outdated subject.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #9 of 198 Old 01-09-2019, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked: 3289
Not very good. Definitely a weak X Files knockoff. It's competently produced but very dull and derivative. The characters are not terribly compelling at all.

One-and-done for me.
Leftcoastdave likes this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #10 of 198 Old 01-09-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
UFOs? Is it the 90s again?

Don't get me wrong I'm probably the biggest X-Files fan there is but this is an outdated subject.
Nah, you're thinking of CDs.
ADU likes this.
post #11 of 198 Old 01-09-2019, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post
I'll check out the Project Blue Book series. As a kid in the 70's I watched the first incarnation named Project UFO that aired on NBC for 2 seasons. Could be fun, could be a dud. We'll see.
I think that was the last thing to come from the mind of Jack Webb (Dragnet). I distinctly remember him giving the opening narration.
post #12 of 198 Old 01-09-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Decent start. I agree this is pretty derivative (OK, very). But the pilot was decent, I will keep watching.
ADU likes this.
post #13 of 198 Old 01-09-2019, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
I think that was the last thing to come from the mind of Jack Webb (Dragnet). I distinctly remember him giving the opening narration.
I remember that NBC PROJECT UFO; for some reason the first episode I saw scared the living hell out of me when I was a kid. Some of the episodes I can recall were pretty entertaining despite the "el cheapo" special effects, at least to my 11-year-old mind at the time:

OTOH, this new History Channel series really seems to steal an awful lot from X-Files, right down to the "noir" settings; I'll give it a few more weeks.

Hey, anyone remember that OTHER "UFO" show with the British chicks with purple hair and silver jumpsuits staffing a lunar base in the "futuristic" year of 1980? I must have dreamed that one...
curtlots and ADU like this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #14 of 198 Old 01-09-2019, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
I remember that NBC PROJECT UFO; for some reason the first episode I saw scared the living hell out of me when I was a kid. Some of the episodes I can recall were pretty entertaining despite the "el cheapo" special effects, at least to my 11-year-old mind at the time:

https://youtu.be/96J6G0xewIY

OTOH, this new History Channel series really seems to steal an awful lot from X-Files, right down to the "noir" settings; I'll give it a few more weeks.

Hey, anyone remember that OTHER "UFO" show with the British chicks with purple hair and silver jumpsuits staffing a lunar base in the "futuristic" year of 1980? I must have dreamed that one...
Gerry Anderson's UFO Great flick for its time. But back in the late 1960s it was set so FAR in the future..... 1980!

I'm gonna give Roswell v2 a try when it airs.
ADU likes this.
post #15 of 198 Old 01-10-2019, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Okay start,will keep watching for now.
ADU likes this.
post #16 of 198 Old 01-11-2019, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Not very good. Definitely a weak X Files knockoff. It's competently produced but very dull and derivative. The characters are not terribly compelling at all.

One-and-done for me.
I recorded but haven't watched yet. I usually agree a lot with your opinions on shows & movies so this isn't a good sign but I'll give it a try anyway. It wouldn't be the 1st time I've ditched a series after 15-20 min of viewing the 1st episode. The reboot of Roswell sounds even less interesting.

To me, the interesting thing about "Project Blue Book" would be its basis in real history and real people, I was hoping something like the 2 season series "Manhattan" - turning historical significance & facts into a watchable drama with some science thrown in. There really was a Proj Blue Book, based at Wright Patterson AFB and Dr Allen Hynek was a real astronomer who headed it up, investigating UFO incidents.

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 01-11-2019 at 05:20 AM.
post #17 of 198 Old 01-11-2019, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I'm with others who are lukewarm with the first episode. I'll give it a couple more to see if it starts finding its legs.
ADU likes this.
post #18 of 198 Old 01-11-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Yeah, it didn't blow me away, but it was decent enough to check out the next few episodes.
ADU likes this.
post #19 of 198 Old 01-14-2019, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Somewhat dry, however, it draws parallels to my own experiences IE: search "Nimitz Encounters" on youtube
ADU likes this.

Last edited by Rex Steinkuller; 01-14-2019 at 10:32 AM.
post #20 of 198 Old 01-15-2019, 02:45 PM

So I bought the whole season @ Amazon for $19.99 & watched ep1 after whitch it went into ep2 in it's entirety? Ep2 wasn't listed! ...weird OK, ep2 is now listed 24 hours later.
ADU likes this.

Last edited by Rex Steinkuller; 01-16-2019 at 06:21 AM.
post #21 of 198 Old 01-16-2019, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
Liked: 2247
I thought last night's episode was better. Decent show so far.
ADU likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #22 of 198 Old 01-16-2019, 08:41 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Steinkuller View Post
Somewhat dry, however, it draws parallels to my own experiences IE: search "Nimitz Encounters" on youtube
I remember this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Nimitz_UFO_incident

And the video posted a year or so ago by Luis Elizondo of AATIP...

Rex Steinkuller likes this.

ADU
post #23 of 198 Old 01-16-2019, 08:45 PM
ADU
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
I streamed the first two episodes here...

https://www.history.com/shows/project-blue-book

...and thought they were ok. It is somewhat X-file-ish. But The X-files were based more-or-less on Project Bluebook, so some similarity is to be expected.

I haven't seen many recent TV series btw. So if you watch alot of TV, take my opinion with a grain of salt.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 01-16-2019 at 08:50 PM.
post #24 of 198 Old 01-17-2019, 06:41 AM

This is the video I was talking about:
ADU likes this.
post #25 of 198 Old 01-17-2019, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Episode #1 was flat out awful.

Terrible acting and writing.

Clearly no one hired a USAF technical advisor.

Full of technical errors about the protocol among USAF officers.

Neal McDonough should be embarrassed to be part of the cast.

One and done.
post #26 of 198 Old 01-17-2019, 05:32 PM

This is the History channel! Not Fox or ABC
post #27 of 198 Old 01-18-2019, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Pretty weak show. Episode 2 was better than the first. But its just another UFO show with no facts. I believe that their is life out their. But the distance is so great that its impossible for us to ever have a visit from somewhere else. Never will. Fun to think about though.
post #28 of 198 Old 01-18-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I'm in. So far, so good.
ADU likes this.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #29 of 198 Old 01-18-2019, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6166 Post(s)
Liked: 6821
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson61 View Post
Pretty weak show. Episode 2 was better than the first. But its just another UFO show with no facts. I believe that their is life out their. But the distance is so great that its impossible for us to ever have a visit from somewhere else. Never will. Fun to think about though.
Yeah, as much as, like Fox Mulder, I want to believe, I won't believe until there is hard, uncontrovertible, verifiable evidence. Until then, any speculation is just science fiction, not to be taken seriously by serious people.
post #30 of 198 Old 01-18-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson61 View Post
I believe that their is life out their. But the distance is so great that its impossible for us to ever have a visit from somewhere else. Never will.
Yep, never will happen if you plan on traveling about space in a Hyundai. Earthlings only think about life as we know it, but rarely think about life beyond what we currently know. Who is to say that other civilizations haven't conquered dimensional travel or another means. What would people in 500 BC thought about landing on the moon and going beyond? Or, the most important thing, having high definition TV? "Serious people" (i.e., intelligent people) would do well to understand that intelligent life on earth might not be the most intelligent or advanced life in the universe or beyond. But that requires thinking beyond what we know, and that is almost impossible for the human mind to comprehend.
ADU, shivaji, I WANT MORE and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page