AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Programming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/)
-   -   Jack Reacher TV Series (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/3025810-jack-reacher-tv-series.html)

WilliamR 11-15-2018 05:24 AM

Jack Reacher TV Series
 
This has potential with such great source material to draw on. I hope they land at Netflix our a premium channel so we don't get a "CBS" version of this show.


Jack Reacher TV Series in the Works
By Dave Nemetz, TVLine.com - Nov. 14, 2018

The Jack Reacher book series, which was turned into a film franchise starring Tom Cruise, is headed for the small screen with a new TV series in development, our sister site Deadline is reporting.

Book author Lee Child broke the news on Wednesday, saying there’s a deal in place with producers Skydance Television and Paramount Television for a Jack Reacher TV series. This deal signals the end of the Cruise-led films, and Cruise will not star in the potential TV series.

In the Jack Reacher series, the title character is a U.S. Army veteran who works as a detective for hire. Cruise starred as Reacher in two films: Jack Reacher, released in 2012, and the sequel Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, released in 2016. But in the books, Reacher is described as large and physically imposing, and Child notes that Cruise, “for all his talent, didn’t have that physicality.” For the TV series, then, they’re looking for someone who more closely matches the books’ description of Reacher.

Child says he’s targeting Netflix or another “long-form streaming television” outlet for the Jack Reacher TV series, but as of now, no network is attached.

https://tvline.com/2018/11/14/jack-r...es-tom-cruise/

cyfman 11-15-2018 10:14 AM

Wonder what that means for the Amazon show?

bthompson1974 11-15-2018 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyfman (Post 57112538)
Wonder what that means for the Amazon show?

Are you thinking about Jack Ryan on Amazon?

cyfman 11-15-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bthompson1974 (Post 57112572)
Are you thinking about Jack Ryan on Amazon?

Opp's :laugh:

markg35 11-15-2018 03:21 PM

I've always been a fan of the books.Tom Cruise has played a lot of good parts.He shouldn't have been casted to play Jack Reacher.

rdclark 11-16-2018 09:28 PM

"Detective for hire" is a pretty profound misunderstanding of the character. Perhaps "modern knight errant" comes closer.

Wacojoe 11-17-2018 07:10 AM

^^^
Whoever wrote that promo obviously never read any of the Reacher books. The character travels around the country by foot and gratuitously solves crimes (almost always very violently) that fall his way, but is never hired to do so. The Cruz movies were surprisingly entertaining with such a miscast diminutive actor starring in the roll, but missed the essence of the imposing ex-MP Major Reacher. Fans were aghast.

JMCecil 11-17-2018 08:21 AM

I was having Spinal Tap midgets and stonehenge flashbacks watching Tom Cruise do Jack Reacher.

JMCecil 11-17-2018 08:23 AM

also .. detective for hire? wtf ... I guess Child didn't read the books either. Must just be responding to the Tom Cruise backlash.

JMCecil 11-17-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wacojoe (Post 57121092)
^^^
Whoever wrote that promo obviously never read any of the Reacher books. The character travels around the country by foot and gratuitously solves crimes (almost always very violently) that fall his way, but is never hired to do so. The Cruz movies were surprisingly entertaining with such a miscast diminutive actor starring in the roll, but missed the essence of the imposing ex-MP Major Reacher. Fans were aghast.

sorry didn't read far enough prior to responding...

yes .. exactly.

Ben23 11-21-2018 09:52 AM

This is good news. A TV series is a good medium for the character given all the material that can be covered (if done correctly obviously).

Who would make a good Jack Reacher? Dave Bautista, Joe Manganiello, Gerard Butler???

Garrett Adams 11-21-2018 03:47 PM

All the talk about Tom Cruise's height made me recall Alan Ladd's height. He was also short and often his leading ladies walking beside him were in trenches.:)

rdclark 11-21-2018 06:24 PM

I always thought Jim Caviezel (Person of Interest) would have made a good Jack Reacher. He may now, at 50, have aged out of the role of the younger Reacher (he could certainly play the current version), and at 6'2" he's just inside the ballpark if he wears the right shoes, but I always felt he had the look and the manner to pull it off.

The role needs a big guy, but even more it needs the right actor.

WilliamR 07-16-2019 04:33 AM

Looks like it landed at Amazon.


Amazon Developing Jack Reacher Drama Series From Nick Santora Based On Lee Child Books


In a competitive situation, Amazon has landed the rights to develop a script-to-series drama based on the Jack Reacher character from Lee Child’s bestselling book series, from Scorpion creator Nick Santora. The project will be a co-production of Amazon Studios, Skydance Television and Paramount Television.
Santora will write, executive produce and serve as showrunner for the series.


Child’s Jack Reacher is a billion-dollar brand published in 49 languages and 101 territories. With more than 100 million books sold, the series has commanded over a billion dollars in global sales. Amazon Studios recently greenlit Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan for a third season, which is also a Paramount Television and Skydance Television production.


Santora executive produces alongside Lee Child, Don Granger and Christopher McQuarrie. David Ellison, Dana Goldberg, and Marcy Ross executive produce for Skydance. Carolyn Harris oversees the project for Skydance.


Santora currently has two projects in the works with Quibi – an action thriller with Liam Hemsworth attached to star and a new take on The Fugitive, with Thunder Road Films, 3 Arts Entertainment and Warner Bros. TV. Santora created, exec produced and ran drama series Scorpion, which aired for four seasons on CBS. He also co-created and exec produced Breakout Kings, which aired for two seasons on A&E and co-executive produced Fox’s Prison Break.

Skydance Television’s slate includes the Emmy-nominated Grace and Frankie and Altered Carbon, Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan, Condor and Foundation.

Paramount Television’s roster includes Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan, 13 Reasons Why, The Alienist, First Wives Club, Looking for Alaska and Home Before Dark.


Child is repped by APA, Darley Anderson Literary Agency, and Lichter Grossman Nichols Adler Feldman & Clark


https://deadline.com/2019/07/amazon-...ra-1202646465/

rdclark 07-16-2019 06:19 AM

I expect they will go with a version of the character closer in age to the end of his Army career, so they can do flashbacks to his military-police career. These flashbacks form an important component of the book series, and are too rich a vein not to mine in a successful TV franchise. And there’s no reason not to set it in present-day America. Most of the book plots will still work, so there’s plenty of source material. It’s all a matter of writing, acting, casting, and production quality, as always.

One interesting approach would be to combine multiple books into single series arcs, a la Bosch. Cast the right actor and they could interweave a military plot (past) and a contemporary plot in into a single season and create a version of the Reacher saga even richer and more layered than the books, without compromising the character at all. This is the big potential advantage in bringing a long-running book franchise to a streaming series; you can already know where all the resonances are, what things from the past form the character of today, and tell a more compact and cohesive story. Bosch, again, is a primary example of this.

Wacojoe 07-17-2019 09:51 PM

I am looking forward to this one having read all the books until the series ran out of steam the last three. Seems like Child just lost interest in what his old readers, like me, liked the most — a character who never turned away from kicking some butts. A more mellow and older Jack Reacher of recent vintage is not what we need in this new video series. I hope we get the younger version as mentioned above.

Defcon 07-18-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markg35 (Post 57114276)
I've always been a fan of the books.Tom Cruise has played a lot of good parts.He shouldn't have been casted to play Jack Reacher.

So many people say this and its so wrong. Cruise may be short, but he embodies the ethos and approach of the character perfectly, gives 150% and is a great actor. Imagine if they cast someone like Dolph Lundgren who looks the part but can't act his way out of a paper bag and has the name recognition and box office draw of a dead cockroach.

Cruise is the reason this series is being considered and is why Lee Child made millions more and endorsed him.

Wish people realized this basic fact.

rdclark 07-18-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defcon (Post 58313360)
So many people say this and its so wrong. Cruise may be short, but he embodies the ethos and approach of the character perfectly, gives 150% and is a great actor. Imagine if they cast someone like Dolph Lundgren who looks the part but can't act his way out of a paper bag and has the name recognition and box office draw of a dead cockroach.

Cruise is the reason this series is being considered and is why Lee Child made millions more and endorsed him.

Wish people realized this basic fact.

I endorse your right to hold and express your opinion, but not to assert it as a fact.

My opinion is that the series will succeed in direct inverse proportion to its resemblance to the movie version, and that Lee Child's true motivation for expressing approval of Cruise in the role had a lot to do with the fact that it was Cruise's production company paying Child for the rights. There was never a possibility of anyone else being cast.

And in fact Child has recanted: "But ultimately the readers are right. The size of Reacher is really, really important and it’s a big component of who he is…" https://deadline.com/2018/11/jack-re...ld-1202502218/

The popularity of the Reacher books and character peaked long before Cruise came on the scene, and continues now that he is out of the picture.

Personally, I enjoy Tom Cruise movies by and large, and I enjoyed both Reacher films. But at no time did I ever forget that I was watching Tom Cruise, nor ever believe he was playing Jack Reacher. It wasn't his physical size, but his demeanor. What is the single most frequently-used description of the character in the books? "Reacher said nothing."

Jack Reacher is not charming.

Defcon 07-18-2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdclark (Post 58313608)
I endorse your right to hold and express your opinion, but not to assert it as a fact.

My opinion is that the series will succeed in direct inverse proportion to its resemblance to the movie version, and that Lee Child's true motivation for expressing approval of Cruise in the role had a lot to do with the fact that it was Cruise's production company paying Child for the rights. There was never a possibility of anyone else being cast.

And in fact Child has recanted: "But ultimately the readers are right. The size of Reacher is really, really important and it’s a big component of who he is…" https://deadline.com/2018/11/jack-re...ld-1202502218/

The popularity of the Reacher books and character peaked long before Cruise came on the scene, and continues now that he is out of the picture.

Personally, I enjoy Tom Cruise movies by and large, and I enjoyed both Reacher films. But at no time did I ever forget that I was watching Tom Cruise, nor ever believe he was playing Jack Reacher. It wasn't his physical size, but his demeanor. What is the single most frequently-used description of the character in the books? "Reacher said nothing."

Jack Reacher is not charming.

Good response and thanks for the discussion! I have only read maybe 6 Reacher books and haven't read the newer ones, and yes, 'Reacher said nothing' is often parodied. I don't think Cruise is one of those actors who always plays himself, e.g. like Clooney, he has had quite diverse roles, and in Reacher films I did get the impression that he portrayed the loner, laconic deadly badass well enough.

My point is I cannot think of any actor with the size of the book Reacher who's even an ok actor, let alone good, and who would make the films a box office hit. Without that success, there's no talk of a series. Do you not agree with that?

yobbo 07-18-2019 10:36 PM

I have never read any Jack Reacher books so to me the height was irrelevant.

rdclark 07-19-2019 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defcon (Post 58313848)
My point is I cannot think of any actor with the size of the book Reacher who's even an ok actor, let alone good, and who would make the films a box office hit. Without that success, there's no talk of a series. Do you not agree with that?

I think cinema success is irrelevant, because I don’t think it’s relevant to success (or existence) as a streaming series. Again, as above, I invoke the example of Bosch, the very successful Amazon series based on a popular book series that did not need a successful movie (or ay movie) as incentive to be made. It cast a good actor who was not well known to successfully embody the character, and uses its wealth of source material not just to create mood and context, but also as the basis for complex and well thought-out season-long story arcs.

Indeed, I think the Cruise movies could create a problem when viewers watch expecting a handsome, charming wiseguy hero and instead find a hulking, silent loner.

Btw, series based on movies almost always fail. The vast majority of successful series are not based on movies. Your premise is seriously flawed.

Defcon 07-19-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdclark (Post 58313990)
I think cinema success is irrelevant, because I don’t think it’s relevant to success (or existence) as a streaming series. Again, as above, I invoke the example of Bosch, the very successful Amazon series based on a popular book series that did not need a successful movie (or ay movie) as incentive to be made. It cast a good actor who was not well known to successfully embody the character, and uses its wealth of source material not just to create mood and context, but also as the basis for complex and well thought-out season-long story arcs.

Indeed, I think the Cruise movies could create a problem when viewers watch expecting a handsome, charming wiseguy hero and instead find a hulking, silent loner.

Btw, series based on movies almost always fail. The vast majority of successful series are not based on movies. Your premise is seriously flawed.

I never said the series is base don the movies. I said that without the success of the movies, no one would try to make a tv show base don Reacher. You also did not name any actor who you think could've done a better job than Cruise, remember the movies need to be a box office success too.

There are plenty of reboots/remakes, so there is no concern with Cruise's portrayal somehow being a negative for the new series. It will succeed/fail on its own merits, not because viewers expect something.

rdclark 07-19-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defcon (Post 58315598)
I never said the series is base don the movies. I said that without the success of the movies, no one would try to make a tv show base don Reacher. You also did not name any actor who you think could've done a better job than Cruise, remember the movies need to be a box office success too.

There are plenty of reboots/remakes, so there is no concern with Cruise's portrayal somehow being a negative for the new series. It will succeed/fail on its own merits, not because viewers expect something.

I thought I made my opinion clear that I consider the movies irrelevant to both the books and to the prospective series. And that I disagree that the movies are the reason for the series. Or that they needed to be made at all other than to service Cruise's ego.

I've mentioned previously that I thought Jim Cavaziel (Person of Interest, Last Temptation of Christ) would have made a good Reacher ten years ago. Not a giant but still imposing, and really good at the taciturn, unmoveable, inner-directed hero. But too old now to be the Reacher that the series needs.

IMO, to discuss the movies now is a waste of time. Reacher would have been a streaming series (and probably sooner) had the movies never been made.

Garrett Adams 07-19-2019 02:00 PM

This discussion reminds me of Alan Ladd. In his films leading ladies would often be walking in a (unseen) trench along side of him. He was 5'6".

Josh Z 07-19-2019 02:28 PM

Is the guy who played Abraham on The Walking Dead big enough? He seemed like a good fit for a TV adaptation to me.

rdclark 07-19-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 58316246)
Is the guy who played Abraham on The Walking Dead big enough? He seemed like a good fit for a TV adaptation to me.

Michael Cudlitz. Yeah, he really made an impression on me in Southland. Maybe now a little old for the role of recently-discharged Reacher (who is in his mid-30's) but could probably pull off a believable version of the character.

Unlike many, I never subscribed to the belief that since Reacher is described as a big, ham-fisted bruiser in the books, that he must be so on the screen. But his ability to physically dominate a situation is intrinsic to the character. There's also a lot going on inside that the actor --and the scripts -- will need to somehow convey. He's not just intelligent and knowledgeable, but also very clear about who he is, and why.

The TV tradition of the knight-errant goes back to shows like Have Gun: Will Travel (although Reacher is not a mercenary) and Route 66 (although Reacher has no driver's license). So the Reacher series will travel in good company. His uniqueness as a character is what distinguishes him, and much of that uniqueness happens internally. IMO, the Cruise version utterly failed to get that across (the scripts didn't really try, either), and it remains to be seen if the right production team can find their way into Jack Reacher in a way that preserves that uniqueness.

shivaji 07-20-2019 06:19 AM

Well, they better show him press his clothes by putting them beneath the hotel mattress as he sleeps. A major plot point to get right. :)
I would prefer a Reacher true to his size in the books this time, about 6'5 and a brother, an inch taller. The books as a rule are not action page turners. He spends a lot time hitching from place to place, with long scenes of breakfast at the local diner, he likes a decent cup of coffee. Though he does sometimes get into fights with multiple adversaries soon after he's finished. After he dispatches them, it could be 60 pages before the next fight.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.