• 1 Post By Mac128

post #1 of 6 Old 11-26-2018, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
MASH in HD on Hulu

I took Hulu up on their Black Friday $.99/month offer for a year, and discovered MASH is now in restored HD, cropped full screen 16:9!

The series looks great, but I can’t help but wonder how they did this since it wasn’t originally framed 4:3. I’ve read nothing about it. Anybody else know anything about it?
curtlots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-27-2018, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looks like they’ve done a similar remaster to SEINFELD and opened up the frame and cropped the top and bottom. Each shot seems reframed to center the subjects. They’ve also redone some screen graphics as well, possibly even new captions and credits.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-27-2018, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 197
It's just a personal thing for myself, but I just can't watch shows that have been cropped. The whole time I'm just focused on wondering what is missing. I wish they'd just restore them in their original format.

Last edited by Plager8; 11-27-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-27-2018, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager8 View Post
It's just a personal thing for myself, but I just can't watch shows that have been cropped. The whole time I'm just focused on wondering what is missing. I wish they'd just restore them in their original format.
What's funny about that is I watch 4:3 shows and wonder if they could be cropped without losing anything! Ha. I've only seen a few episodes, but I've been very impressed with the framing -- no uncomfortable tightness in close shots, nor any full frame compositions which lose something from the top or bottom -- yet.

It would be nice if they did both. I can't imagine they didn't, and are only releasing the 16:9 versions for syndication where I guess they think they will play better. For a 1/2 hour TV show, I would think they could easily put both versions on a BluRay.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-27-2018, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 197
After I made my post above I was interested to see how it looked so I checked out the first few minutes of season 1 episode 1. I agree with you that what I saw looked very good. If they took the same care with the rest of the series then I might have to make an exception of my prejudice for this show.

I think the worst crop job I ever saw was Carol Burnett and Friends on MeTV. They just cropped it without any regard to positioning. At the beginning of the show when she stands on stage taking questions from the audience, her head was completely out of frame. It was criminal.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-29-2018, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager8 View Post
After I made my post above I was interested to see how it looked so I checked out the first few minutes of season 1 episode 1. I agree with you that what I saw looked very good. If they took the same care with the rest of the series then I might have to make an exception of my prejudice for this show.

I think the worst crop job I ever saw was Carol Burnett and Friends on MeTV. They just cropped it without any regard to positioning. At the beginning of the show when she stands on stage taking questions from the audience, her head was completely out of frame. It was criminal.
I just watched one tonight that showed the care they used ... it was a two parter that was evidently shot on videotape to mimic the way a 1950s TV news report would have been shot, called “Our Finest Hour”. It was basically a clip show, and all the cutaways were likewise transferred to videotape. In the restoration, the video was presented in 4:3, but all the clips and MainTitle were replaced with 16:9 HD restoration. The effect is fantastic, and really enhances the distinction between the old TV documentary and the flashback clips elaborating on the narrative discussed in the news show.

A lot of thought and care was taken with this.

It is really too bad they didn’t have the original raw video to go back to, as the show titles superimposed are the original video titles, but otherwise works great. I assume they shot and finished on videotape at the time for a clip show as a cost cutting measure.

EDIT: just found the first problem with cropping ... a shot where the joke was cut out. Trapper eats Henry’s entire plate of food while “testing” it for him when someone is apparently trying to kill him. In order to keep Henry framed properly, the empty plate was cut out and the entire joke is lost. Are they not able to pan and scan vertically? A simple digital pan down to reveal the plate and back up for Henry’s expression would have done the trick.

Last edited by Mac128; 12-02-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page