Stargirl on The CW & DC Universe - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #31 of 105 Old 05-18-2020, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5305 Post(s)
Liked: 4394
The show premiered today (Monday) on DC Universe. The CW will rebroadcast the episode Tuesday night.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 105 Old 05-18-2020, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked: 2410
Is there a noticeable quality difference (improvement) for DC Universe-made shows compared to CW Arrowverse shows? I plan to watch the first episode regardless, but I'd like to manage my expectations.
post #33 of 105 Old 05-18-2020, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6366 Post(s)
Liked: 5854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Is there a noticeable quality difference (improvement) for DC Universe-made shows compared to CW Arrowverse shows? I plan to watch the first episode regardless, but I'd like to manage my expectations.
you get 4K HDR with DC Universe (for select shows like Titans, Doom Patrol etc)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 105 Old 05-18-2020, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
you get 4K HDR with DC Universe (for select shows like Titans, Doom Patrol etc)
Good to know, though I was interested more in the overall production quality (sets, locations, visual effects, etc.), acting, and quality of the writing (especially the latter). Batwoman was a huge disappointment for me, and most of the other CW Arrowverse shows have gone down the tubes of late as well.
post #35 of 105 Old 05-18-2020, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6366 Post(s)
Liked: 5854
Quote:
Good to know, though I was interested more in the overall production quality (sets, locations, visual effects, etc.), acting, and quality of the writing (especially the latter). Batwoman was a huge disappointment for me, and most of the other CW Arrowverse shows have gone down the tubes of late as well.
I don't watch any of the CW crap but Titans was surprisingly good and I hear Doom Patrol is also excellent (will watch both seasons after S2 drops all its episodes)...definitely way more adult oriented then anything they would be able to show on CW
Zookster likes this.

Last edited by TitusTroy; 05-18-2020 at 01:10 PM.
post #36 of 105 Old 05-18-2020, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
FYI: The DCU streamed version is about 10 min longer than what the CW will air on Tuesday.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
My Nov 2019 Northern Ireland Game of Thrones Tour
post #37 of 105 Old 05-19-2020, 08:35 PM

I set the first episode to record from The CW tonight, but my DVR apparently decided not to bother. Probably not a good sign.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #38 of 105 Old 05-19-2020, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I set the first episode to record from The CW tonight, but my DVR apparently decided not to bother. Probably not a good sign.
Probably because it knew that it was the inferior, shorter, version as compared to the DCU streamed version.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
post #39 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Probably because it knew that it was the inferior, shorter, version as compared to the DCU streamed version.
In my experience, being longer is the last thing these Arrowverse shows need. More running time means more room to add inane filler. A typical episode has at most 20 minutes of worthwhile content as it is, on a good week.
daryl zero and Zookster like this.

Josh Z

post #40 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

After reading above that 10 mins was cut from the CW broadcast version, I was paying closer attention to any potential plot holes, inconsistencies, and abrupt transitions that we often see in these kinds of shows anyway. But nothing really jumped out. The episode was pretty clean and tight story wise.

The only thing I didn't understand, that I assume was the same in the longer version, is how Pat didn't know Courtney was Starman's daughter. The mom did say Starman visited his daughter only once a year, so maybe that was just a part of his life he kept secret from his sidekick. It didn't seem like Pat was lying to cover up the fact he knew all along and didn't say anything. He genuinely seemed surprised.

I also wonder if the extra minutes will carry over week to week and we'll end up with a couple of extra episodes in the broadcast version. I did confirm the runtime discrepancy: the CW on-demand version lists a time of 42:42 and the Amazon Prime (for purchase) version is 53 mins.
post #41 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
I also wonder if the extra minutes will carry over week to week and we'll end up with a couple of extra episodes in the broadcast version..
No. The longer one ends the same as the broadcast one.
Zookster likes this.
post #42 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I liked it. Will continue to watch. With Geoff Johns lurking about (it his baby) this may be a cut above Flash and the other DC related shows. Think its stupid she's on parallel earth.
WilliamR likes this.
post #43 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
No. The longer one ends the same as the broadcast one.
If you've watched both, do you know what was taken out of the broadcast version?

Also, does anyone know if Stargirl will come to HBO Max when it launches? Maybe I can wait until then to watch it.
post #44 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Also, does anyone know if Stargirl will come to HBO Max when it launches? Maybe I can wait until then to watch it.
I don't think it will. It airs on DC Universe and then next-day airings on CW. That likely means that CW has Season 1 streaming rights through the entire first season. If it did show up on HBO Max it would be after that streaming window closed, which is normally right before Season 2 would begin to air.
Zookster likes this.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
post #45 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'll take angst and preachy any day over dull if not terrible on many levels (i.e., Batwoman).
Warner and Berlanti agreed with you. Ruby Rose is out and a recast of the role for Season 2.

Enjoyed the first episode of Stargirl. 15 minutes into the show and you felt like they got the casting right. The exact opposite of the first episode and 15 minutes of Batwoman.
Garrett Adams and allargon like this.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K

Last edited by blade005; 05-20-2020 at 04:09 PM.
post #46 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
I thought it was well done, especially her father's story at the beginning. Looking forward to watching her continue the family business.
WilliamR likes this.
post #47 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 09:22 PM

Since my DVR refused to record it, I caught the first episode tonight on the CW app, with really crummy picture quality and 2.0 audio. The episode was better than I expected. The main girl is well cast and very appealing. I like the staff.

Quote:
The only thing I didn't understand, that I assume was the same in the longer version, is how Pat didn't know Courtney was Starman's daughter. The mom did say Starman visited his daughter only once a year, so maybe that was just a part of his life he kept secret from his sidekick. It didn't seem like Pat was lying to cover up the fact he knew all along and didn't say anything. He genuinely seemed surprised.
Pat was very insistent that Starman was not her father. Maybe he's wrong, maybe Starman kept it a secret, or maybe he's right and her father will turn out to be someone else either in the JSA or perhaps a villain. Having her be Starman's daughter seems a little too convenient and formulaic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
I don't think it will. It airs on DC Universe and then next-day airings on CW. That likely means that CW has Season 1 streaming rights through the entire first season. If it did show up on HBO Max it would be after that streaming window closed, which is normally right before Season 2 would begin to air.
Don't confuse HBO Max with the other existing HBO streaming services. HBO Max is the new consolidated Warner Bros. subscription portal. It's going to have a lot of overlap with both HBO and DC Universe. In fact, the long-term fate of DC Universe is kind of up in the air at the moment. Future DC Comics series such as Green Lantern and Justice League Dark are being planned to go straight to HBO Max.
WilliamR likes this.

Josh Z

post #48 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Liked: 2047
First show (CW) was ok. The initial fight was fairly impossible to follow who was who and why they were fighting. At some point, Pat (what a bad character name) said they died saving the world which must be a lie because it surely looked like the heroes got wiped out.

Courtney is a loser the first day of school? Right. Pretty perky blonde, she would have guys falling over her. Well, she only had to endure one day at the loser's table and immediately there is an Edward Cullen type at the table and then the stereotypical jock a-hole.

Then it just happens that in nowhere's Nebraska, that's where the villain who just seems to be a rich guy hangs out. Maybe he wasn't after the world and just wanted to do insider trading in peace. Who knows.

Anyhow, I'll watch a few more. Frankly this was about every cliche in the book. Luke Wilson is good but I would have preferred Bob Odenkirk.

"Don't blame me -- I voted for Kodos." Homer Simpson
post #49 of 105 Old 05-20-2020, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Pat was very insistent that Starman was not her father. Maybe he's wrong, maybe Starman kept it a secret, or maybe he's right and her father will turn out to be someone else either in the JSA or perhaps a villain. Having her be Starman's daughter seems a little too convenient and formulaic.
Her being Starman's daughter is the reason the staff will work with her. Pat was left in the dark about Starman's family.

post #50 of 105 Old 05-21-2020, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:

Yes. I tried to do a "record series" on the Comcast X1 DVR but it didn't select the premiere episode, so I went back and told it to record the episode, and it did that.

I thought the premiere episode looked promising, so I am keeping the "record series" request in place for at least another week.

Bed-roomVizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p), Xfinity XG1v4-A (HD DVR), Xfinity cable (Digital Preferred), Sony BDP-S185 Blu-ray player.
PC roomLG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Xfinity Internet, Roku Ultra with Netflix & Xfinity Beta Streaming channels.
post #51 of 105 Old 05-21-2020, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Don't confuse HBO Max with the other existing HBO streaming services. HBO Max is the new consolidated Warner Bros. subscription portal. It's going to have a lot of overlap with both HBO and DC Universe. In fact, the long-term fate of DC Universe is kind of up in the air at the moment. Future DC Comics series such as Green Lantern and Justice League Dark are being planned to go straight to HBO Max.
I don't thing anyone was confusing the difference between HBO, HBO Max and DC Universe. The question being answered was whether or not Stargirl episodes would be available on HBO Max at launch. Since the CW has next-day streaming rights after it airs on DC Universe it will likely be available on those two platforms through the season.

post #52 of 105 Old 05-21-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I don't thing anyone was confusing the difference between HBO, HBO Max and DC Universe. The question being answered was whether or not Stargirl episodes would be available on HBO Max at launch. Since the CW has next-day streaming rights after it airs on DC Universe it will likely be available on those two platforms through the season.
I'm not sure it's so clear. HBO Max will stream other DC Universe originals. Since all three platforms are owned by Warner Bros (or at least half-owned in the case of The CW), I think there's a fairly good chance the company will put Stargirl on all of them to boost exposure (both of the show and of HBO Max) as much as possible.

Josh Z

post #53 of 105 Old 05-21-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
First show (CW) was ok. The initial fight was fairly impossible to follow who was who and why they were fighting. At some point, Pat (what a bad character name) said they died saving the world which must be a lie because it surely looked like the heroes got wiped out.

Courtney is a loser the first day of school? Right. Pretty perky blonde, she would have guys falling over her. Well, she only had to endure one day at the loser's table and immediately there is an Edward Cullen type at the table and then the stereotypical jock a-hole.

Then it just happens that in nowhere's Nebraska, that's where the villain who just seems to be a rich guy hangs out. Maybe he wasn't after the world and just wanted to do insider trading in peace. Who knows.

Anyhow, I'll watch a few more. Frankly this was about every cliche in the book. Luke Wilson is good but I would have preferred Bob Odenkirk.
All legit criticisms. I also found it ridiculous that no one saw her flying around through the town. I get that this is supposed to be a small town where everything is dead after 9pm, but surely there must have been somebody around. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it.

I expect that we'll eventually learn that this small town in nowhere Nebraska is secretly an important location where magic powers converge or something. Pat was evasive when asked what he was doing in Nebraska when he met Courtney's mother. There also has to be a reason he insisted the family move there from Los Angeles. The place will undoubtedly turn out to be special.

Josh Z

post #54 of 105 Old 05-21-2020, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
If you've watched both, do you know what was taken out of the broadcast version?
The begining is the same, until Pat drives Courtney to school. And the ending is the same.
Zookster likes this.
post #55 of 105 Old 05-21-2020, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked: 3360
From HOTP thread:

‘The Voice’ Finale Tops Quiet Tuesday; ‘DC’s Stargirl’ Debut Ratings Solid
By Dino-Ray Ramos, Deadline.com - May 20, 2020

The Voice ended its season Tuesday with a virtual finale that delivered a 0.9 in the adults 18-49 demographic and 7.43 million viewers who tuned in as Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, Blake Shelton and Nick Jonas crowned the winner (no spoilers here) virtually for the reality singing competition’s 18th cycle.

The finale, which aired from 9-11 PM, dipped a tenth from Monday’s part one to match a season low. It also was down two tenths from last spring’s finale. Still, NBC swept the night in the demo and viewers.

The CW meanwhile introduced a new hero into its comic book universe with DC’s Stargirl (0.3, 1.21M), down and tenth from The Flash finale a week ago in the time slot but beating it in viewers. The freshman series was followed by DC’s Legends of Tomorrow (0.2, 803,000), which held steady.

ABC aired the special After the Dance (0.4, 2.63M) with ESPN host and NBA commentator Stephen A. Smith. The one-hour primetime special featured NBA legends as they discussed ESPN’s hit Michael Jordan docuseries The Last Dance. The network followed it with another special, the two-hour The Story of Soaps (0.3, 2.03M), which put the spotlight on the impact of soap operas.

Elsewhere it was fairly quiet, with CBS airing reruns of NCIS, FBI and FBI: Most Wanted and Fox a recap of The Masked Singer (0.9, 4.17M) and a repeat of 24 Hours to Hell and Back.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/the-voi...ut-1202939430/

post #56 of 105 Old 05-21-2020, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not sure it's so clear. HBO Max will stream other DC Universe originals. Since all three platforms are owned by Warner Bros (or at least half-owned in the case of The CW), I think there's a fairly good chance the company will put Stargirl on all of them to boost exposure (both of the show and of HBO Max) as much as possible.
Fair enough. But the question was AT LAUNCH of HBO Max would Stargirl episodes be immediately available. I can see them being available on HBO Max after their initial streaming runs on DC Universe and the CW. I would assume CW paid for next-day streaming rights to boost their viewership. Putting them the next-day on HBO Max as well would be counter productive.

I guess we will all know in about 6 days time!

post #57 of 105 Old 05-21-2020, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Pat was evasive when asked what he was doing in Nebraska when he met Courtney's mother. There also has to be a reason he insisted the family move there from Los Angeles. The place will undoubtedly turn out to be special.
Early on Pat says they are moving there because Courtney's mom was offered a job at The American Dream, which is somehow behind the reason Courtney's new high school no longer has gymnastics (all the school's programs were recalibrated for optimal participation). I'm sure the job offer will turn out to be a ruse either by Pat or other forces at play to bring the Starman family back to Blue Valley.

I didn't have a problem with how Courtney was treated during her first lunch at the new school. It's almost a trope how teenagers are cliquish and wary of newcomers (no matter how attractive), and the "mean girls" at the school would be jealous of her. I'm sure Courtney will get a lot of crap while trying out to be a cheerleader, and one of the more popular jocks will go behind his girlfriend's back to hit on her as soon as the opportunity arises (more tropes).
post #58 of 105 Old 05-21-2020, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I'm sure Courtney will get a lot of crap while trying out to be a cheerleader.
She said that cheerleading was not her thing. Now that she has the staff, cheerleading is not on her list.

post #59 of 105 Old 05-21-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. But the question was AT LAUNCH of HBO Max would Stargirl episodes be immediately available. I can see them being available on HBO Max after their initial streaming runs on DC Universe and the CW. I would assume CW paid for next-day streaming rights to boost their viewership. Putting them the next-day on HBO Max as well would be counter productive.

I guess we will all know in about 6 days time!
I don't think it's clear yet what will be available or when. For example, it is known that Doom Patrol season 2 will premiere on both DC Universe and HBO Max on the same day. Although Warner Bros. is being very selective in the wording of its official statements, it seems like the plan is to eventually phase out DC Universe and fold it entirely into HBO Max.

HBO Max will also stream the CW's Batwoman. Not sure about the other CW shows yet.

Josh Z

post #60 of 105 Old 05-21-2020, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't think it's clear yet what will be available or when. For example, it is known that Doom Patrol season 2 will premiere on both DC Universe and HBO Max on the same day. Although Warner Bros. is being very selective in the wording of its official statements, it seems like the plan is to eventually phase out DC Universe and fold it entirely into HBO Max.

HBO Max will also stream the CW's Batwoman. Not sure about the other CW shows yet.
The CW and Netflix streaming deal expired in the Spring of 2019. Past shows (The Flash, Supergirl, Legends, Arrow, The 100, etc.) remain under the previous agreement and full seasons are available on Netflix 8 days after the final episode of a season airs.

Looks like new Fall 2019-2020 CW shows KATY KEENE and BATWOMAN will go to HBO Max and will be available 30 days before the start of the next season. NANCY DREW is going to CBS ALL ACCESS.

The CW Secures Full In-Season Streaming Rights To New Series
https://deadline.com/2019/08/the-cw-...ew-1202660754/
Josh Z likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page