Stargirl on The CW & DC Universe - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #1 of 127 Old 11-30-2018, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2301 Post(s)
Liked: 3453
Stargirl on The CW & DC Universe

‘Stargirl’: Yvette Monreal & Christopher James Baker Set As Regulars In DC Universe Series

by Denise Petski
November 29, 2018 2:00pm

Photos courtesy of APA/Armada Partners

Yvette Monreal (Matador) and Christopher James Baker (True Detective) are set as series regulars in DC Universe’s upcoming Stargirl series. Details on their roles are being kept under wraps, described only as undisclosed DC characters.

Based on the DC characters, Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore, played by Brec Bassinger (Nickelodeon’s Bella & The Bulldogs) as she inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. The new drama reimagines Stargirl and the very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America, in an unpredictable series.

Geoff Johns created the Stargirl character in 1999. The character was modeled on Johns’ late sister, also named Courtney, who was killed in a 1996 plane crash. The character has previously been portrayed on the screen by Britt Irvin and Sarah Grey on Smallville and Legends of Tomorrow, respectively. Johns is writing the first episode and executive produces.

Along with Johns, Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter executive produce Stargirl. The series is produced by Berlanti Productions and Mad Ghost Productions in association with Warner Bros Television.

Monreal will next be seen starring alongside Sylvester Stallone in the Adrian Grunberg directed Rambo 5: Last Blood, which she is currently filming in Bulgaria. Monreal’s other credits include a key role in Robert Rodriguez’s Matador TV series, and Universal’s Lowriders opposite Demian Bichir, Eva Longoria and Theo Rossi. She is repped by APA and Koopman Management.

Baker was most recently seen in HBO’s True Detective and Netflix’s Ozark. He is repped in the U.S. by David M. Rudy of Armada Partners, Abrams Artists Agency and Chad Christopher of SGSBC and in Australia by Sue Barnett & Assoc.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/stargir...es-1202510976/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 Old 01-09-2019, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Luke Wilson joins DC Universe's Stargirl as a sidekick
By Chancellor Agard, EW.com - Jan. 8, 2019

Luke Wilson is suiting up for DC Universe’s Stargirl!

EW has confirmed that The Royal Tenenbaums star has been cast as Pat Dugan, the operator of the 15-foot super-robot named Stripes.

Executive produced by showrunner Geoff Johns, who created the titular hero, the forthcoming series follows Courtney Whitmore (Brec Bassinger), a struggling high schooler who moves to Blue Valley, Neb., when her mother marries Pat. After Courtney discovers that her new stepfather used to be Justice Society of America member Starman’s (Joel McHale) sidekick Stripesy, she borrows Starman’s old Cosmic Staff to become Stargirl, and Pat comes out of retirement and becomes her sidekick in a robot suit. Clearly, superheroics are a family business!

“When I first moved to Los Angeles in 1996 and saw Bottle Rocket, I became a huge fan and admirer of Luke’s,” said Johns in a statement. “And I literally wrote this part for Luke, hoping that someday and somehow he’d play Pat Dugan. I only envisioned him. And now I feel like I won the lottery! Luke’s talent, humor, compassion — his presence and professionalism — and his creative collaboration, his ideas — we’re so lucky to have him alongside Brec in Stargirl.”

In recent weeks, Stargirl has made several casting announcement, specifically filling out the ranks of its Justice Society of America. In addition to McHale’s Starman, we also have Henry Thomas as Dr. Mid-Nite, S.W.A.T.‘s Lou Ferrigno Jr. was cast as Golden Age Hourman.

The series is also executive produced by Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter, and produced by Berlanti Productions and Mad Ghost Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

Stargirl is expected is 2019.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/01/08/luke-wi...rgirl-stripes/

post #3 of 127 Old 11-21-2019, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

'Stargirl’ Episodes To Air On The CW Network & Its Digital Platforms After DC Universe Debut

Stargirl will be the first original DC Universe series to air on linear television. The upcoming superhero drama has landed an exclusive linear window on The CW as well as play on the network’s non-linear platforms following its debut on DC Universe digital subscription service.

The CW will broadcast each episode in primetime the day after it premieres on the DC Universe streaming service. The DC series, starring Brec Bassinger in the title role, is set to make its premiere on DC Universe in second quarter 2020, with new episodes released weekly. A premiere date will be announced later, along with scheduling information which night the show will air on the CW.

A day after Stargirl’s linear debut on the CW, the episode will be available to stream on The CW’s free digital platforms, CWTV.com and The CW app. The network has acquired full-season stacking rights, meaning that all aired episodes will remain available on the CW’s digital outlets throughout the season. After the season finale of Stargirl, the full season will be available to binge on The CW’s digital platforms.

This is a new wrinkle in the DC Universe business model. One of its original series, Titans, remains exclusive to the DC platform. Another, Doom Patrol, will be running on HBO Max as well as DC Universe. Now Stargirl is getting a linear and free-digital run on the CW.

With its female superhero lead, Stargirl would be a good fit for the CW lineup that includes Supergirl and Batwoman.

Based on the DC characters created by Geoff Johns, Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore (Bassinger) as she inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. The new drama reimagines Stargirl and the very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America, in an unpredictable series.

In addition to Bassinger, Luke Wilson, Amy Smart, Trae Romano, Cameron Gellman, Yvette Monreal, Anjelika Washington, Meg DeLacy, Neil Jackson, Jake Austin Walker, Christopher James Baker and Hunter Sansone also star.

The series focuses on the character that started creator Johns’ career as a comic book writer when he created her in 1999, lovingly inspired by his late sister who was killed in a 1996 plane explosion.
Johns serves as showrunner and executive produces with Melissa Carter, who serves as co-showrunner, as well as Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter. Stargirl is produced by Berlanti Productions and Mad Ghost Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/stargir...al-1202792227/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 127 Old 11-23-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 667
...and apparently Stargirl is going to make her debut in the Crisis crossover!
post #5 of 127 Old 12-11-2019, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

First teaser trailer:

post #6 of 127 Old 03-04-2020, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Stargirl, starring Brec Bassinger, Luke Wilson and Amy Smart will premiere Tuesday, May 12 at 9 PM, following a new episode of The Flash as its lead-in at 8 PM, one day after it makes its digital debut on the DC Universe subscription service. Every episode of Stargirl will be available to stream on The CW’s free digital platforms (CWTV.com and The CW app), following its linear broadcast. The network has acquired full-season stacking rights, meaning that all aired episodes will remain available on the CW’s digital outlets throughout the season. After the season finale of Stargirl, the full season will be available to binge on The CW’s digital platforms.

Beginning Tuesday, May 26, Stargirl then finishes out the remainder of its season beginning in the 8-9 PM time slot, taking over the spot previously held by The Flash.

https://deadline.com/2020/03/the-cw-...00-1202874370/

Last edited by WilliamR; 03-04-2020 at 01:08 PM.
post #7 of 127 Old 03-07-2020, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
On Friday, The CW fed a bunch of promos for the show to the affiliates. If they don't how up on YouTube, let me know. Two 60s and two 20s.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
My Nov 2019 Northern Ireland Game of Thrones Tour
post #8 of 127 Old 04-17-2020, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

A 1:30 promo has been released and is up on YouTube. It shows as 1:46, but is really only 1:30.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
post #9 of 127 Old 04-18-2020, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

DC's Stargirl - Destiny - Extended Trailer

DC's Stargirl - Strength & Heroism - Season Trailer

DC's Stargirl - Dangerous - Season Trailer

DC's Stargirl - Destiny - Premiere Trailer

post #10 of 127 Old 04-18-2020, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 919
Looks like fun. hopefully it’s not all angsty and preachy.
post #11 of 127 Old 04-18-2020, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
Looks like fun. hopefully it’s not all angsty and preachy.

It’s the CW, so I’d wouldn’t bet against angst and preachiness.
Garrett Adams likes this.
post #12 of 127 Old 04-18-2020, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Yeah, I’m not holding my breath. But it would be nice to see a superhero show that’s fun. Of course there has to be a moral in the end but I don’t want to be hit over the head with it with a baseball bat.
post #13 of 127 Old 04-18-2020, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I’m not holding my breath. But it would be nice to see a superhero show that’s fun. Of course there has to be a moral in the end but I don’t want to be hit over the head with it with a baseball bat.

I know what you mean. I think I’m actually about super-heroed out myself. I guess if there’s a really good new one, I’d take a look.
post #14 of 127 Old 04-19-2020, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

I think this looks great, but it is the CW so my expectations are very low. We love the flash, but hate some of the other DC shows. I hope it has a budget too. She is pretty powerful so we will see how they handle that. Ala SuperGirl, there will be something that always makes her weak or every enemy will be as strong or stronger.

post #15 of 127 Old 04-19-2020, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
It's a DC Universe (streaming service) show, that the CW (half owned by DC/Warner Bros parent company ATT/WarnerMedia) has picked up next day broadcast rights to. It won't necessarily possess the patented angst & preaching found on its sister Greg Berlanti produced shows.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #16 of 127 Old 04-20-2020, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2253 Post(s)
Liked: 2423
I'll take angst and preachy any day over dull if not terrible on many levels (i.e., Batwoman).
post #17 of 127 Old 04-20-2020, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I'll take angst and preachy any day over dull if not terrible on many levels (i.e., Batwoman).
Yeah. I quit on Batwoman a while ago. Not only was it dull, it was dumb. Kate realizes that Alice is pretty much irredeemable and she keeps finding her hideout and continually marches in there to tell her to knock it instead of just capturing her. And the acting is really bad. Ruby Rose is too one note to pull off dark and brooding and then the actress that plays Alice swings way off the the other side with her crazy eyes performance. Everyone else is totally forgettable. Usually the sidekicks get to yuck it up ala Cisco and Ralph on the Flash, but nothing here.
post #18 of 127 Old 04-20-2020, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Kate realizes that Alice is pretty much irredeemable and she keeps finding her hideout and continually marches in there to tell her to knock it instead of just capturing her.
By bailing out, you missed a lot.

post #19 of 127 Old 04-22-2020, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

True, I watch a surprising number of shows on the CW I’m embarrassed to say. Though, less now than previously. I’m really truly getting tired of super hero shows I think. Legends of Tomorrow still makes me laugh sometimes. I watch In The Dark and The 100 still. Also, I watch Riverdale with my daughter. I loved iZombie too, sad it’s over. I’m still watching Flash for some reason I can’t figure out at this point. I actually like the CW mostly.

I will not be watching Stargirl though.

Last edited by Don S; 04-22-2020 at 09:04 AM.
post #20 of 127 Old 04-22-2020, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

DC's Stargirl - Justice Tire - Season Trailer

DC's Stargirl - Rebel - Season Trailer

post #21 of 127 Old 04-24-2020, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
True, I watch a surprising number of shows on the CW I’m embarrassed to say. Though, less now than previously. I’m really truly getting tired of superhero shows I think. Legends of Tomorrow still makes me laugh sometimes. I watch In The Dark and The 100 still. Also, I watch Riverdale with my daughter. I loved iZombie too, sad it’s over. I’m still watching Flash for some reason I can’t figure out at this point. I actually like the CW mostly.

I will not be watching Stargirl though.
Riverdale might not be a superhero show, but it's definitely a comic book show.
post #22 of 127 Old 05-05-2020, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

DC's Stargirl - Injustice - Season Trailer

post #23 of 127 Old 05-16-2020, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

The CW's Stargirl Premieres on Monday | Brec Bassinger Interview

post #24 of 127 Old 05-16-2020, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
I show the premier on Tuesday the 19th at 8:00 PM.
post #25 of 127 Old 05-16-2020, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I show the premier on Tuesday the 19th at 8:00 PM.
You're showing the premier? Where?

post #26 of 127 Old 05-16-2020, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
That is listed on TitanTV https://titantv.com/default.aspx plus the CW site and my Comcast schedule on that date and time. It's possible you are right and they are wrong.
post #27 of 127 Old 05-17-2020, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1875 Post(s)
Liked: 1673
Remember that this is a streaming show. CW repeats the episode the next day on broadcast, but the premiere is streaming.
post #28 of 127 Old 05-18-2020, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Great premier episode laying down the character development background. I'm ready for episode #2 .
WilliamR, markmon1 and blade005 like this.

post #29 of 127 Old 05-18-2020, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Great premier episode laying down the character development background. I'm ready for episode #2 .
Great to hear, can't wait to watch it!

post #30 of 127 Old 05-18-2020, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

DC's Stargirl - Behind The Scenes With The Cast

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version