Sex Education on Netflix with Gillian Anderson - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #31 of 50 Old 03-05-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4555 Post(s)
Liked: 6069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I still haven't finished the season, but I think the show may have turned a corner for me with the third episode, which was much less broadly comedic and felt a lot more believable. I liked the fourth episode as well.
Couldn't agree more! The third episode, especially the scenes at the abortion clinic, were funny but also smart and sometimes moving. They provided a lot of food for thought and did it in an entertaining but refreshingly fair minded and nonjudgmental way. I am now watching Episode 5 and still loving the show. Both Gillian Anderson and Asa Butterfield have been great!

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 11-11-2019, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6368 Post(s)
Liked: 5858
Sex Education Season 2 on Netflix: Check Out 6 Photos, Plus 9 Teasers

Netflix has released photos and teasers from the series’ eight-episode return in 2020...

https://tvline.com/2019/11/11/sex-ed...otos-spoilers/
post #33 of 50 Old 11-25-2019, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6368 Post(s)
Liked: 5858
Netflix on Monday revealed that Season 2 of the acclaimed British comedy will drop all eight episodes on Friday, Jan. 17th...

https://tvline.com/2019/11/25/sex-ed...-2020-netflix/
Zookster likes this.

Last edited by TitusTroy; 11-25-2019 at 09:57 AM.
post #34 of 50 Old 11-25-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Netflix Monday that Season 2 of the acclaimed British comedy will drop all eight episodes on Friday, Jan. 17th...

https://tvline.com/2019/11/25/sex-ed...-2020-netflix/
This show was a pleasant surprise. Looking forward to season 2.
post #35 of 50 Old 01-07-2020, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked: 2761
post #36 of 50 Old 01-16-2020, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 3369
Season 2 trailer 2:

post #37 of 50 Old 01-18-2020, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched the first two episodes of season 2 last night. Off to a great start. Nice seeing Otis's mom have more direct interaction with the other students. Should result in lots of hilarious moments this season. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the predictable love-triangle tensions, but hopefully this show will surprise me as to its outcome.
post #38 of 50 Old 02-04-2020, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 737
I'm almost finished with the 2nd season. This is one of those shows where, in the back of my mind, I keep saying, "I'm too old for this" or "This is too silly," but I just keep going back to it. I think because at its core, it does have a lot of heart, and it does effectively handle a lot of serious issues with a nice blend of comedy. The focus is on the kids, but the stories around the adults are quite good as well. It's all connected. In all, a very good show that's simultaneously hilarious, sophomoric, and deep.
Zookster likes this.
post #39 of 50 Old 02-04-2020, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 5306 Post(s)
Liked: 4394
This show got a lot better when it decided to be a drama rather than trying to be a John Hughes comedy, IMO.
acebreathe and Ben23 like this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #40 of 50 Old 02-04-2020, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
I'm almost finished with the 2nd season. This is one of those shows where, in the back of my mind, I keep saying, "I'm too old for this" or "This is too silly," but I just keep going back to it. I think because at its core, it does have a lot of heart, and it does effectively handle a lot of serious issues with a nice blend of comedy. The focus is on the kids, but the stories around the adults are quite good as well. It's all connected. In all, a very good show that's simultaneously hilarious, sophomoric, and deep.
I'm through episode 5 of s.2, and except for the hysteria at the school over STDs, it hasn't pushed things too far for me to the point it seems totally unbelievable or insults my intelligence. And I say that as someone who never watches network-type sit-coms anymore because I find them too stupid. Even the silly stuff in this show is smartly written and not overdone or milked too the nth degree. It plays like an indie dramedy aimed at young people.
Josh Z and Ben23 like this.
post #41 of 50 Old 02-04-2020, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Pretty good summary of the points above in this 5 Reasons to Watch Sex Education video on IMDb:
https://www.imdb.com/video/vi3159932...ref_=hm_hp_i_1
post #42 of 50 Old 02-04-2020, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Liked: 7539
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post
You had me at Gillian Anderson
Talk about Click Bait!

Sign me up... Yeah, baby!
post #43 of 50 Old 02-06-2020, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1189
It's a very good series, wife and I thoroughly enjoy it. Sure it's silly at times but they took a more serious turn this year and it has been very well done. Getting Gillian is just a bonus.

Recommended, can't wait for S3.
Ben23 likes this.
post #44 of 50 Old 02-10-2020, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked: 4219
From The Hollywood Reporter,

'Sex Education' Renewed for Season 3 at Netflix

Quote:
The pickup for the British dramedy comes three weeks after the second season premiered.
Netflix will continue its Sex Education.

The streamer has renewed the breakout comedy for a third season to air in 2021. The pickup announcement comes three weeks after season two premiered on Jan. 17, marking a relatively quick decision for Netflix.

Season two of Sex Education broadened the show's scope from teenager Otis Milburn (Asa Butterfield) offering sex advice to his fellow high schoolers to include stories about sexual assault and the experiences of the show's LGBTQ characters.

Creator Laurie Nunn told The Hollywood Reporter ahead of season two's release that she believed there were more stories to tell in the world of the series.

"I think these characters ... they've got legs," Nunn said. "I think I could do some more with them if we're given the chance. [Netflix] is very supportive and really wanting us to tell the stories that we feel passionate about. It really feels like we're all on the same page, wanting to make the same show."

Netflix doesn't regularly reveal viewing figures for its shows. The company highlighted the first season of Sex Education in its first-quarter 2019 earnings report, saying it was on pace for 40 million member accounts worldwide to have watched at least some of the series. At that time, Netflix was counting a view for a series as a member account watching 70 percent of one episode (a measure Netflix has since changed).

In addition to Butterfield, Sex Education stars Emma Mackey, Ncuti Gatwa, Gillian Anderson, Aimee Lou Wood, Kedar Williams-Stirling, Connor Swindells, Alistair Petrie and Patricia Allison.

Nunn executive produces with Jamie Campbell and Ben Taylor. The series comes from Eleven Film.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...etflix-1278369
Zookster and yobbo like this.
post #45 of 50 Old 02-10-2020, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked: 2761
Dr. Jean Milburn does ASMR. Best with headphones.

Zookster likes this.
post #46 of 50 Old 02-10-2020, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I'm glad to hear it's been renewed, as I'm really enjoying this season with one episode to go. But I have to wonder how long they can keep a show centered on high school kids going. Season 2 started a new year of school. So unless they stretch school years out over multiple seasons, the high school kids grow up and either go to college or get jobs at the local drugstore. And then there's the will-they-won't-they romance between Otis and Maeve that tends to get tedious if they get brought together and pulled apart too many times. And more than once is too many in my book.
Keenan and gwsat like this.
post #47 of 50 Old 05-01-2020, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked: 4219
post #48 of 50 Old 05-22-2020, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Netflix Hoping To Start Shooting ‘Sex Education’ In August As Part Of UK Production Reboot Plans

EXCLUSIVE: Netflix is drawing up plans to get its UK shows back into production amid the coronavirus pandemic, and the streamer has a hopeful target of August for its hit drama Sex Education.

Deadline has spoken to a number of sources on the Eleven show, and they say that August is the current ambition for Season 3, but nothing is cast in stone as the situation with COVID-19 is developing quickly.

August is seen as the latest Sex Education could go into production this year because the show is reliant on filming during the longer days of British summer, and the sunshine is an important part of its on-screen gloss. It means Netflix and Eleven will need to make a final decision on the shoot plans next month, given the show requires 10 weeks of prep time.

Sex Education was originally due to begin production this month, but the plans were put on ice, as Wales — which provides the backdrop to Moordale High — remains in lockdown after more than 1,200 people have died of the disease in the nation.

Cast and crew are said to be itching to get back to work, particularly given the summer camp spirit that has developed around the show’s shooting pattern. They are mindful, however, that production will be far from straightforward.

By its very nature, Sex Education requires intimacy between members of its large ensemble cast, which will pose challenges in terms of observing the UK government’s two-meter social distancing rules, and may mean Laurie Nunn has to rewrite scripts.

The industry as a whole is giving thought to quarantining performers before and during shoots, but it is not known if this is among Eleven’s considerations. Theoretically it might be possible, given some cast have shared apartment blocks in Cardiff and Newport during previous shoots.

The planning comes as other UK dramas are getting back on their feet following the government greenlighting filming again. BBC soap EastEnders and ITV’s Emmerdale will be filming again over the coming weeks, while bigger dramas including Doctor Who and Peaky Blinders are planning for autumn shoots.

Eleven is working closely with Netflix on the restart plan, as are other producers with UK-made shows for the streamer. Among those affected are Studio Lambert, which was in the early stages of shooting Netflix dance show All The Right Moves in March, while David E. Kelley’s new anthology series Anatomy Of A Scandal was also slated to film in the UK this year.

Netflix also makes its big in-house show The Witcher at Arborfield Studios outside of London. The Henry Cavill fantasy drama was one of the first major victims of coronavirus shut down in Britain, with Netflix halting production on March 16 and hours later, actor Kristofer Hivju testing positive for the disease.

The U.S. streamer is playing an important role in helping the British Film Commission draw up production safety protocols, which is why Netflix was not part of the UK broadcaster group (which included the BBC, ITV, ViacomCBS and Sky) that published its own set of standards earlier this week.

A draft of the British Film Commission guidelines, leaked to Deadline, includes recommendations on pre-shoot safety training, temperature testing, quarantining foreign actors for two weeks, social distancing and appointing a properly authorized COVID-19 supervisor to oversee on-set safety.

Ted Sarandos, Netflix’s chief content officer, wrote about the challenges of returning to production in an op-ed for the LA Times earlier this month. He revealed that cast and key crew self-quarantined on Swedish show Love And Anarchy both before and during the shoot, while testing has been important on Iceland’s Katla.

Above all, he said flexibility is important. “That means rejiggering productions, locations and set schedules to postpone shooting crowd or action scenes and intimate moments, as well as scenes that require international travel,” Sarandos explained. “Some shows will need to rewrite scripts or look to add visual effects to what previously would have been shot live.”

https://deadline.com/2020/05/netflix...rt-1202941551/

post #49 of 50 Old 05-22-2020, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 73
IMO season 2 was a big step down from Season 1 - unless the reviews are stellar for Season 3 - I'll probably pass.
WilliamR likes this.
post #50 of 50 Old 07-01-2020, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

‘Sex Education’: Netflix Show On Track To Go Back Into Production In August
By Jake Kanter

EXCLUSIVE: Netflix hit Sex Education is on track to go back into production again next month after work on Season 3 was halted amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Deadline revealed in May that Netflix and Sex Education producer Eleven had set a hopeful target of August to get cameras rolling again on the teen drama. Now, Eleven’s new parent company Sony Pictures Television says formal work is underway on the show.

“It’s all [good] at the moment,” said Wayne Garvie, Sony’s president of international production. Producers are understood to be making progress on standard preparations, while they are also drawing up safety protocols for filming. Cast members have also held the August date in their diaries.

Season 3 was originally due to begin filming in May, but the plans were put on ice as Wales remained in lockdown. August is seen as the latest Sex Education can go into production this year because the show is reliant on filming during the longer days of British summer, and the sunshine is an important part of its on-screen gloss.

It will not be the only Netflix show made in the UK to resume production next month. The U.S. streamer has committed to an August 17 restart date for The Witcher, which is filmed at Arborfield Studios.

They will not be the first pandemic-era TV drama shoots to get going again in Britain, however. Deadline reported last week that BBC One’s adaptation of Nancy Mitford’s classic novel The Pursuit Of Love, starring Lily James, and Season 2 of Fox Networks and Canal+’s War Of The Worlds are set to begin filming this month.

Garvie said he is optimistic about production getting back underway, but warned that there will be hiccups across the industry as producers wrangle with the fast-moving COVID-19 crisis. “It will be different. The next couple of years will be tricky, there’s going to be a few false starts — productions starting up and then stopping again — it’s going to be a bit messy. But then it will come back,” he told Deadline.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/sex-edu...on-1202974877/
yobbo likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page