2019 Formula 1 Racing in HD - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1356Likes

post #841 of 1758 Old 04-13-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 10719
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson61 View Post
Same Old Same Old.

My exact comment to my wife after watching qualifying.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 1758 Old 04-13-2019, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Great for Bottas. Lewis has burned up another set of medium tyres which may affect his race tomorrow. Looking forward to it!
Hamilton and LeClerc are the only drivers starting on mediums, so some strategy games are afoot. In my brief viewing of practice I saw Hamilton testing hards. Clearly Hamilton's strategist is thinking differently. Something about this year's car appears to favor Bottas' driving style over Hamilton's.
post #843 of 1758 Old 04-13-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3443 Post(s)
Liked: 1894
Quote:
Great for Bottas. Lewis has burned up another set of medium tyres which may affect his race tomorrow. Looking forward to it!
Bottas I think is a man on a mission (at least until Ham says otherwise ). Remember he should have won last year. If he can pull off a 26 pointer, then he might have some momentum to at least be competitive till mid season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson61 View Post
Same Old Same Old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
My exact comment to my wife after watching qualifying.
You mean another fight between Ferrari and Mercedes for pole. I know you probably mean Mercedes getting pole, but this time last year it was Vettel getting all of the poles. Matter of fact for the first part of '08, it was Ham and Vettel splitting all of the poles with one a piece from Ric and Bottas. At least this year, there have been three different pole winners.

According to RB, Max may have been able to beat the Ferraris. That is at least encouraging news. Of course, they botched the final run. Of course, Gasly isn't helping right now either.

Speaking of Gasly, he was way off Max again. I wonder if RB would consider having a look outside the team for a replacement. If Merc dumps Bottas for Ocon, then RB would be a great landing spot.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 1758 Old 04-13-2019, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4591 Post(s)
Liked: 6072
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwig View Post
Hamilton and LeClerc are the only drivers starting on mediums, so some strategy games are afoot. In my brief viewing of practice I saw Hamilton testing hards. Clearly Hamilton's strategist is thinking differently. Something about this year's car appears to favor Bottas' driving style over Hamilton's.
The top five will all start on mediums.
post #845 of 1758 Old 04-13-2019, 09:56 AM

Remaining tires.

mrtickleuk likes this.
post #846 of 1758 Old 04-13-2019, 10:28 AM

Does that mean Ham will start on a used set of mediums?

It will be interesting to see who goes for a two stop strategy and who goes for one. It looks like the top five will go one stop with med/hard. Whoever goes for a two stop could grab the fastest lap point.

post #847 of 1758 Old 04-13-2019, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Does that mean Ham will start on a used set of mediums?
You always start on a used set of tires. The tires you used during your Q2 fastest lap are the exact same set you'll be starting on.
post #848 of 1758 Old 04-13-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Familiarizing with tire/tyre rules and regs. Fascinating reading.

https://www.formula1.com/en/champion...nd-wheels.html

One Q3 commentator today said the softest Q3 tire/tyre compound is only good for one lap. Didn't know that.

Mercs, Prancing Horses, and then there was Max.

mrtickleuk likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #849 of 1758 Old 04-13-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 4517 Post(s)
Liked: 6809
The softest tyre is only good for one flat-out qualifying lap, but it'll normally do 10-15+ laps in a race the next day. They were talking about its peak performance

Otherwise, half the field would pile into the pits at the end of lap 1 in every race
Tack, Operon and Panson like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #850 of 1758 Old 04-13-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
Quote:
Simple. People still complain about this stupid crap. Personally, I think those owners should have just bought a new TV or done without. If a person doesn't have the couple of hundred dollars to spend on a new TV, then they have bigger problems.

I’m not sure what the rules are, but it’s an FCC requirement for channel identification. Your local CBS may claim they have enough viewers to still need it to be 4:3 safe. I’m trying to remember where it’s at on our CBS, but I think ours is only 16:9 safe.
Nah the FCC doesn't require it. First of all it's the network identifier, which has no legal baring. The affiliate does; their callsign needs to be flashed once an hour. Don't believe me? I've been watching the Masters all afternoon on CBS. No channel bug, because Augusta mandates a clear screen.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #851 of 1758 Old 04-13-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Familiarizing with tire/tyre rules and regs. Fascinating reading.

https://www.formula1.com/en/champion...nd-wheels.html

One Q3 commentator today said the softest Q3 tire/tyre compound is only good for one lap. Didn't know that.

Mercs, Prancing Horses, and then there was Max.

I knew about the top ten having to use the tire they qualified on in Q2. I wasn't aware it was the same tire. I thought it just had to be the same compound.

Hopefully there will be some interesting strategies.
Panson likes this.

post #852 of 1758 Old 04-14-2019, 01:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 524
The Torpedo!!
What a beauty. Takes out two in one go!
Champion. This is why Red Bull brought him back into F1 and boy, can the Torpedo deliver.
Another truly great product of the Red Bull young driver program.
Has anyone had more crashes than Finger Boy, Mad Max and the Torpedo??
Yes, our good mates Pastor and Roman have tried hard but they lack the consistency to challenge the elite of the Red Bull school of champions.
Somebody with a liking for maths and figures should do some research and find out just how much Seb, Max and the Torpedo have cost their own teams and the teams they have crashed into.
It's time for other teams to start thinking about sending their repair bills to Dr Helmut Head to pay as the Red Bull highly trained drivers keep crashing into everybody in sight.
Panson likes this.
post #853 of 1758 Old 04-14-2019, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

He had a snap and had to correct by turning into the slide. Not his fault as explained by Ant in race control and Martin.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #854 of 1758 Old 04-14-2019, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
He had a snap and had to correct by turning into the slide. Not his fault as explained by Ant in race control and Martin.

Well then, clearly he needs to have a long serious chat with his very naughty car and tell it stop "snapping" and behave.

I'm sure that will do the trick!
Thank you for your help mrtickleuk.
PS. Perhaps you could contact the race stewards and tell them that a grave injustice was done to the Torpedo, that it was his cars fault and had nothing to do with him!
Especially as he has such a clean prior record, it's amazing that they didn't let him off his penalty based on his past exemplary behaviour.
post #855 of 1758 Old 04-14-2019, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

on the Skypad Ant agreed with him that it was a racing incident. But Martin said he'd changed his mind after seeing it post-race and blamed Kvyat. But Nico said that it was too harsh, yes he may have initially triggered the events, but he should not have been penalised. It was a lap 1 racing incident involving 3 cars and they are supposed to let them race. The footage from Sainz's car was the clearest.

That's why I was so pleased with the mature way Kvyat conducted himself in the post-race interview. He was calm, said he didn't agree with the stewards and wanted to speak to them behind closed doors to understand how they came to their decision, so that he could learn. Over and over she pushed him to try to get him emotional or expand on what he thought, but no - "I want to speak to them behind closed doors first". That's not what the old Kvyat would have said at all and he's definitely different. This is my opinion.
Sharp1080, catonic and Panson like this.

post #856 of 1758 Old 04-14-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG] on the Skypad Ant agreed with him that it was a racing incident. But Martin said he'd changed his mind after seeing it post-race and blamed Kvyat. But Nico said that it was too harsh, yes he may have initially triggered the events, but he should not have been penalised. It was a lap 1 racing incident involving 3 cars and they are supposed to let them race. The footage from Sainz's car was the clearest.

That's why I was so pleased with the mature way Kvyat conducted himself in the post-race interview. He was calm, said he didn't agree with the stewards and wanted to speak to them behind closed doors to understand how they came to their decision, so that he could learn. Over and over she pushed him to try to get him emotional or expand on what he thought, but no - "I want to speak to them behind closed doors first". That's not what the old Kvyat would have said at all and he's definitely different. This is my opinion.
Yeah, had that been any other driver, except GRO maybe, they would have been given no more than a +5 time penalty. What he got was based on his reputation. And what a dissapointing race. All hail our Silver Arrow overlords.
Panson likes this.
post #857 of 1758 Old 04-14-2019, 08:29 AM

Ham wins one hell of a boring race.

Torpedo lost it in a racing incident, but it was still on him. I think you could go either way. It isn't like he was behind trying to make up places. He was in front of both the McLarens and they were trying to pass. Still, he is probably gone at the end of the season.

Poor, poor Sabrina. "I am faster. Let me by." Leclerc thought they were managing tires and the team tells him to move over. Sabrina promptly loses even more time behind Mercedes. Come on Tifosi. Give me your fanboy reaction.

Albon did a great job coming from pit lane to 10th. He held off Gros in the closing laps on old tires. With an assist from the moving chicane.

And the moving chicane. I know there were a lot of people hoping that Kubica was the fairy tale story this year. He isn't and should not be anywhere near a F1 car. Let's be blunt. He only got the drive because of money.
gwsat, Operon and Panson like this.

post #858 of 1758 Old 04-14-2019, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ham wins one hell of a boring race.

Torpedo lost it in a racing incident, but it was still on him. I think you could go either way. It isn't like he was behind trying to make up places. He was in front of both the McLarens and they were trying to pass. Still, he is probably gone at the end of the season.

Poor, poor Sabrina. "I am faster. Let me by." Leclerc thought they were managing tires and the team tells him to move over. Sabrina promptly loses even more time behind Mercedes. Come on Tifosi. Give me your fanboy reaction.

Albon did a great job coming from pit lane to 10th. He held off Gros in the closing laps on old tires. With an assist from the moving chicane.

And the moving chicane. I know there were a lot of people hoping that Kubica was the fairy tale story this year. He isn't and should not be anywhere near a F1 car. Let's be blunt. He only got the drive because of money.

Agreed 'Glo, but since our mate Robert Kubica is not anywhere near an F1 car everything is alright then, isn't it!!
The question is, why would anyone actually put up money for that heap of bolts he has to strap himself into??
Tack, Operon and mrtickleuk like this.
post #859 of 1758 Old 04-14-2019, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Again I am thankful for the QuickMode, 30% faster, playback feature on my Tivo DVR. It only took 75 minutes to watch the Chinese ultimate snoozefest.

My only hope is the drastic rule changes for the 2021 season, but I am skeptical that Liberty Media has the capability to make them.
slowbiscuit and Operon like this.

Karl S.
post #860 of 1758 Old 04-14-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post
Agreed 'Glo, but since our mate Robert Kubica is not anywhere near an F1 car everything is alright then, isn't it!!
The question is, why would anyone actually put up money for that heap of bolts he has to strap himself into??
LOL, you got me there.

That being said, Williams could have went with Ocon and less money. Ocon would have been a good benchmark for Russell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Again I am thankful for the QuickMode, 30% faster, playback feature on my Tivo DVR. It only took 75 minutes to watch the Chinese ultimate snoozefest.

My only hope is the drastic rule changes for the 2021 season, but I am skeptical that Liberty Media has the capability to make them.
I used to fast forward through the races as well. It was great to watch a snoozefest in a hour.

It is not up to Liberty. It is the FIA. Liberty and the FIA are working hand in hand, so hopefully they will have a good solution.

One thing I don't particularly care for is that they want to spec everything except the aero and engine. I would rather they speced the aero and left everything else free. Bring back active suspension and CVTs.

post #861 of 1758 Old 04-14-2019, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
I used to fast forward through the races as well. It was great to watch a snoozefest in a hour.

In Tivo QuickMode you still hear the announcers and the original sound pitch is preserved - they don't sound like chipmunks, they just talk faster.
Operon likes this.

Karl S.
post #862 of 1758 Old 04-14-2019, 11:06 AM

Yeah, it wasn't a massive gaff from Torpedo, but I still yelled "FISH IN THE WATER!"

I see the flak for Ferrari and Seb is already underway. Of course when it was reversed last week, not a peep.
BGLeduc, catonic and Panson like this.
post #863 of 1758 Old 04-14-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
In Tivo QuickMode you still hear the announcers and the original sound pitch is preserved - they don't sound like chipmunks, they just talk faster.
They need to release a stand alone version for use with the normal speed chipmunks on NASCAR NBC.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #864 of 1758 Old 04-14-2019, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
To be blunt, that is how a fair bit of the grid got their drives.

Quote:
Without the teams all being limited to similar spending, new rules won't make a difference after a season or two. So first and foremost, that has to be implemented and enforced and I am skeptical it will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post

If you truly have talent, then even a poor car can show it off - Fernando Alonso started in a Minardi.
post #865 of 1758 Old 04-14-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
If you truly have talent, then even a poor car can show it off - Fernando Alonso started in a Minardi.
But if you don't survive....

Quote:
"Well, I have to say last Saturday at Silverstone we were celebrating the motorsport history of Mercedes, being this year 125 years since motorsport started for Mercedes. So I got to drive the W125 from 1937. There was more than 600hp, it felt like a rocket on wheels: no proper brakes, no grip at all. And just imagining those drivers racing flat out on the kind of tracks they were using back then, I have a lot of respect from them. You need some big balls to do it, and every time you'd risk your life 100 percent every time you jumped in the car." - Bottas
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/d...-race/4368249/

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #866 of 1758 Old 04-15-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 998
To be honest all of the racing was boring this weekend, except for FE. Again. FE may not be a great sounding race and the courses are way too tight but the racing is the best IMO.
BGLeduc and mrtickleuk like this.
post #867 of 1758 Old 04-15-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked: 2435
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
To be honest all of the racing was boring this weekend, except for FE. Again. FE may not be a great sounding race and the courses are way too tight but the racing is the best IMO.
I only caught Long Beach, but yup, a total snooze fest. I had to check the guide to make sure I was not watching F1. :-)

A bit of action at the start. A bit of action on the last lap. Maybe a decent pass or two involving Herta (before he binned it) or maybe O'ward, but up front no one was in the same zip code as Rossi.

FWIW, I did watch a bit of FE quali, and I just can't get past the sound. It is "dentist drill" annoying to me.
Tack and Panson like this.
post #868 of 1758 Old 04-15-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 10719
My brief summary of the race. Meh race. LeClerc gets screwed by poor Ferrari decisions. 'nuff said.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
post #869 of 1758 Old 04-15-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
I only caught Long Beach, but yup, a total snooze fest. I had to check the guide to make sure I was not watching F1. :-)

A bit of action at the start. A bit of action on the last lap. Maybe a decent pass or two involving Herta (before he binned it) or maybe O'ward, but up front no one was in the same zip code as Rossi.

FWIW, I did watch a bit of FE quali, and I just can't get past the sound. It is "dentist drill" annoying to me.
That's it. It's not "it's not great sounding", it's that it's actively annoying. That is one hell of a lot of "it's" in one sentence.

I watched Q also, but not the race.
post #870 of 1758 Old 04-15-2019, 07:44 AM

Best thing about the race was that amazing double stop from Merc. Perfection and grace.

BGLeduc, adpayne, gprace and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page