2019 Formula 1 Racing in HD - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1821Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1471 of 2372 Old 07-06-2019, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,729
Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 7746
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwig View Post
I don't understand why Alonso doesn't take a full-time Indy Car ride. Nobody is going to let him back into F1 and he's not doing Le Mans anymore.
He doesn't feel the need. It's certainly not because he think he's too old for the series, I'm sure!

One of the things I have found really shocking, as a new Indycar viewer, is how old all the drivers look. I decided to check out the facts rather than be swayed by my initial reaction (!).

Average age of an IndyCar driver is 31.
Average age of an F1 driver is 27. (If Kimi retires, it will plunge down from there!)

But to me, the average IndyCar driver looks much more than 4 years older than the average F1 driver. I'm not sure what that proves since I expect the fitness regime would be similar in both series.

IndyCar has 10 drivers older than 35. F1 has only ONE. (I know the field sizes are different, but still!).





Shared out of interest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IndyCar ages.png
Views:	59
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	2588014   Click image for larger version

Name:	F1 ages.png
Views:	63
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	2588016  
Panson likes this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1472 of 2372 Old 07-06-2019, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,938
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Liked: 2581
Goodwood is the balls.

cyberguyjeff and mrtickleuk like this.
BGLeduc is offline  
post #1473 of 2372 Old 07-06-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,938
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Liked: 2581
For the Tifosi...

BGLeduc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1474 of 2372 Old 07-06-2019, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,874
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3266 Post(s)
Liked: 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Goodwood is the balls.
Watching live stream now. Got an air show on.
Bond 007 is offline  
post #1475 of 2372 Old 07-06-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 12,121
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked: 2172
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
He doesn't feel the need. It's certainly not because he think he's too old for the series, I'm sure!

One of the things I have found really shocking, as a new Indycar viewer, is how old all the drivers look. I decided to check out the facts rather than be swayed by my initial reaction (!).

Average age of an IndyCar driver is 31.
Average age of an F1 driver is 27. (If Kimi retires, it will plunge down from there!)

But to me, the average IndyCar driver looks much more than 4 years older than the average F1 driver. I'm not sure what that proves since I expect the fitness regime would be similar in both series.

IndyCar has 10 drivers older than 35. F1 has only ONE. (I know the field sizes are different, but still!).


Shared out of interest
You included a lot of Indy only drivers. Two of your three oldest are Indy only. When you look at the full time drivers, the age comes down to 29.72. I included Ed Carpenter even though he is oval only.

You probably think they look older, because the best drivers in Indy right now RHR, Power, Dixon, Pagenaud and Sato are over 35. Those guys are 3 through 7 in the standings. JoNew and Rossi are getting close to 30 as well.

I am not of the mindset that over 30 means you are washed up. There is a reason the best drivers in Nascar are usually older. Sometimes it takes time. Same with Indy.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is online now  
post #1476 of 2372 Old 07-06-2019, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,874
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3266 Post(s)
Liked: 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
I am not of the mindset that over 30 means you are washed up.
I'm sure Fangio would appreciate that.
Bond 007 is offline  
post #1477 of 2372 Old 07-06-2019, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
zeus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,206
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1882 Post(s)
Liked: 1977
zeus33 is offline  
post #1478 of 2372 Old 07-07-2019, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,874
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3266 Post(s)
Liked: 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Hmm..
Bond 007 is offline  
post #1479 of 2372 Old 07-07-2019, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,729
Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 7746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
You included a lot of Indy only drivers. Two of your three oldest are Indy only. When you look at the full time drivers, the age comes down to 29.72. I included Ed Carpenter even though he is oval only.

You probably think they look older, because the best drivers in Indy right now RHR, Power, Dixon, Pagenaud and Sato are over 35. Those guys are 3 through 7 in the standings. JoNew and Rossi are getting close to 30 as well.

I am not of the mindset that over 30 means you are washed up. There is a reason the best drivers in Nascar are usually older. Sometimes it takes time. Same with Indy.
Indeed. To be fair I just took all the driver's names from IndyCar.com who they list as driving in this year's season. I'm not saying they are washing up, I was just startled by the overall age jump between two different series.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #1480 of 2372 Old 07-08-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gprace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Norwalk, Ct
Posts: 3,053
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 11559
Attending NYC Formula E race this coming weekend. Hoping for some good racing action.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
gprace is offline  
post #1481 of 2372 Old 07-08-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,938
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Liked: 2581
BGLeduc is offline  
post #1482 of 2372 Old 07-08-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 11,357
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
My new Road And Track came last week and RW is on the cover with an interview inside.


https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...ens-interview/




Spoiler!
BGLeduc likes this.
Tack is online now  
post #1483 of 2372 Old 07-08-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 12,121
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked: 2172
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
Attending NYC Formula E race this coming weekend. Hoping for some good racing action.
I watched the Paris race and will try to watch the other three before this weekend. I am looking forward to your synopsis of the event.


Right now, my biggest issue is the tracks.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is online now  
post #1484 of 2372 Old 07-08-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gprace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Norwalk, Ct
Posts: 3,053
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 11559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Right now, my biggest issue is the tracks.

I absolutely agree about the tracks.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
gprace is offline  
post #1485 of 2372 Old 07-08-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,729
Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 7746
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
I absolutely agree about the tracks.
Yep me too. Monaco and Mexico are always better races. None of those stupid fold-out kerbs and high walls so that fans can't see anything.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #1486 of 2372 Old 07-08-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,938
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Liked: 2581
Another gift for the Tifosi, but you may not want this one.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ue-suv-future/

Tack and Panson like this.
BGLeduc is offline  
post #1487 of 2372 Old 07-08-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 11,357
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Another gift for the Tifosi, but you may not want this one.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ue-suv-future/

Spoiler!


Sergio didn't.... I think he said something like, "over my dead body". Well, there you go.





Too soon?
BGLeduc and Panson like this.

Last edited by Tack; 07-08-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Tack is online now  
post #1488 of 2372 Old 07-08-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,763
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked: 2339
Ferrari SUV hasta happen. 'Nough cup-holders?


Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #1489 of 2372 Old 07-08-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 12,121
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked: 2172
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
I absolutely agree about the tracks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Yep me too. Monaco and Mexico are always better races. None of those stupid fold-out kerbs and high walls so that fans can't see anything.
I am glad I am not the only one.
mrtickleuk likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is online now  
post #1490 of 2372 Old 07-08-2019, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,874
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3266 Post(s)
Liked: 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Another gift for the Tifosi, but you may not want this one.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ue-suv-future/

Why not. Porsche and Lamborghini have one. Can't blame them for taking people's money.
Bond 007 is offline  
post #1491 of 2372 Old 07-09-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 12,121
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked: 2172
Speaking about Putin
Quote:
Bernie Ecclestone: "'He’s never done anything that isn’t doing good things for people.' What about the invasion of Crimea? 'He wanted to bring Russia back together again.' What about the assassination attempt of the Skripals? 'He didn’t do that. He would be too busy to be worrying about that sort of thing. Storytellers make these things up.'"
Yeah Bernie didn't he give you a lot of money to bring F1 to Russia?

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is online now  
post #1492 of 2372 Old 07-09-2019, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
catonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 969
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Speaking about Putin


Yeah Bernie didn't he give you a lot of money to bring F1 to Russia?
Speaking as an Aussie, how much money do you think the Australian government paid Bernie to get F1 to Australia 'Glo ?
And us poor old taxpayers are still forking out every year for the privilege. (Well, I'm not because I'm too poor to pay tax but you get the idea.)

And Bernie is quite likely still getting his cut!
How much is Texas paying for the Austin race?
EVERBODY pays Bernie, even Putin.
Putin is only KGB, Bernie is Bernie.
catonic is offline  
post #1493 of 2372 Old 07-09-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,729
Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 7746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Sergio didn't.... I think he said something like, "over my dead body". Well, there you go.

Too soon?
Yes. It's not too soon because it's actually in the article on that linked page!

Quote:
As recently as 2016, late Ferrari boss Sergio Marchionne told financial analysts, "You have to shoot me first" for such a thing to happen. RIP, Sergio.
Tack and Panson like this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is online now  
post #1494 of 2372 Old 07-09-2019, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 12,121
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3775 Post(s)
Liked: 2172
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post
Speaking as an Aussie, how much money do you think the Australian government paid Bernie to get F1 to Australia 'Glo ?
And us poor old taxpayers are still forking out every year for the privilege. (Well, I'm not because I'm too poor to pay tax but you get the idea.)

And Bernie is quite likely still getting his cut!
How much is Texas paying for the Austin race?
EVERBODY pays Bernie, even Putin.
Putin is only KGB, Bernie is Bernie.

IIRC Racefans had an article detailing the sanctioning fees for every track. I don't remember what you paid. I am pretty sure Monaco is 0. Bahrain, Baku and Abu Dhabi are pretty high.

I am not sure what COTA pays, but I was a little surprised that they get money from the Texas state government for holding the race.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Ericglo is online now  
post #1495 of 2372 Old 07-09-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 11,357
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
IIRC Racefans had an article detailing the sanctioning fees for every track. I don't remember what you paid. I am pretty sure Monaco is 0. Bahrain, Baku and Abu Dhabi are pretty high.

I am not sure what COTA pays, but I was a little surprised that they get money from the Texas state government for holding the race.
I think it's around 20 mil for Austin.
Tack is online now  
post #1496 of 2372 Old 07-10-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,938
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Liked: 2581
BGLeduc is offline  
post #1497 of 2372 Old 07-10-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 11,357
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked: 6606
British Grand Prix


Practice 1 - Friday, July 12, 4:55 AM - ESPN2

Practice 2 - Friday, July 12, 8:55 AM - ESPNU

Practice 3 - Saturday, July 13, 5:55 AM - ESPN2

Qualifying - Saturday, July 13, 8:55 AM - ESPNEWS

Pit Lane Live - Sunday, July 14, 7:30 AM - ESPN3

On The Grid - Sunday, July 14, 8:30 AM - ESPN2

Race - Sunday, July 14, 9:05 AM - ESPN2

Race (re-air) - Sunday, July 14, 6:00 PM - ESPNEWS

Race (re-air) - Sunday, July 15, 1:00 AM - ESPNEWS














Sharp1080, yankeeman and Panson like this.
Tack is online now  
post #1498 of 2372 Old 07-10-2019, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,874
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3266 Post(s)
Liked: 2587
^^^ Nice touch with the graphics. You just might be a keeper after all.
Bond 007 is offline  
post #1499 of 2372 Old 07-10-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 11,357
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
^^^ Nice touch with the graphics. You just might be a keeper after all.
Awesome! A keeper at last.


So, a few things I'm gonna need. A Tack size doggy door.

Total access to the bar at all times. And I really can't stress total enough. Total.

Also, I don't like any burned bits on my toast. It'll either need to get scraped off or new toast made.

I love clean clothes, but I'm not really big on doing laundry. So....
BGLeduc likes this.
Tack is online now  
post #1500 of 2372 Old 07-10-2019, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,874
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3266 Post(s)
Liked: 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Awesome! A keeper at last.


So, a few things I'm gonna need. A Tack size doggy door.

Total access to the bar at all times. And I really can't stress total enough. Total.

Also, I don't like any burned bits on my toast. It'll either need to get scraped off or new toast made.

I love clean clothes, but I'm not really big on doing laundry. So....
I did say "might be". I think you just negotiated your way to "still looking". The Tack size doggy door is just a bridge too far.
Bond 007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off