2019 Formula 1 Racing in HD - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1821Likes

post #1621 of 2372 Old 07-28-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 2379
The Hulk snakebit.

Quote:
Nico Hulkenberg, the man with the most race starts without a podium finish to his name, seemed to be well placed to end that unenviable record. The German driver ran as high as second position after beautifully managing the mid-race drama, only to slide off the circuit at the same corner which had caught out Leclerc and Hamilton -- the Renault driver aquaplaned off the circuit and into the wall on lap 41 of 63. TV cameras later showed Hulkenberg sitting on the side of the race track with his head in his hands.
https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/report?id=23470

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2372 Old 07-28-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4497 Post(s)
Liked: 5862
I love it when it rains on an F1 race. Rain always adds some needed spice to an F1 race’s usually bland ragu. The intermittent rain and the many pit stops and tire changes the rain required made for breathtaking racing. I confess that I also took some pleasure from triumphalist Mercedes losing one car to a shunt and the other having finished out of the points.

After what happened in qualifying to the blameless Vettel it was fun to see him come through the pack and snare a second place finish. The guy can still drive! It looks like Vettel May be getting his mojo back.

We’re it only that every race could be as thrilling as the German GP was!

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #1623 of 2372 Old 07-28-2019, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3779 Post(s)
Liked: 2179
Fun race. I thought it was going to be boring after the first few laps, but it got exciting.

Max is now in the zone. Period. He has a great chance of snagging second in the points.

Vettel did a great job of getting back up to second.

Kvyat got a podium and a kid in 24 hours. He may be back in a RB after the break.

I have to give props to Stroll for a nice finish.

Having said that, Stroll was a lap down at one point. Did he get a wave around and a pit stop?

Speaking of pit stops, it did jumble up the field and helped those that got lucky on the timing of the yellows.

As for wet weather races, they are fun, but not a cure all. This race was unique, because you had both a wet and dry track. If every race was wet, then the teams would adapt and they would look like any other dry race.

Finally the bad and the ugly. Bottas completely blew it. Unless I hear there was an issue with his car, I am off his bandwagon. It is time to move him back to Williams and bring in Ocon. No sympathy for Nico or Leclerc either. They both blew it as well.
Sgooter likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1624 of 2372 Old 07-28-2019, 01:01 PM

I just realized that thanks to Mad Max Honda and Renault have won races more recently than Ferrari.

I forgot to add Gasly to the bad. He looked to be getting better, but he was getting beaten by the TRs. I think it would be a mistake to put Albon in the RB this quickly, but Kvyat may get another chance. Unfortunately, Alonso pissed off Honda or he would be a good replacement.

post #1625 of 2372 Old 07-28-2019, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3268 Post(s)
Liked: 2590
IndyCar GP of Mid-Ohio on NBC at 4p E.
post #1626 of 2372 Old 07-28-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked: 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
IndyCar GP of Mid-Ohio on NBC at 4p E.
Now THAT was a race.
Operon likes this.
post #1627 of 2372 Old 07-28-2019, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3268 Post(s)
Liked: 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Now THAT was a race.
Agreed.
post #1628 of 2372 Old 07-28-2019, 08:37 PM

Indy was fun, but you still have that clown Milka Andretti still on the track.

JoNew blew it. He could be sitting pretty, but now is going to have to win another race.

Honestly the lapped cars were annoying at the end.
mrtickleuk likes this.

post #1629 of 2372 Old 07-28-2019, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Hockenheim is absurdly narrow at several places, I thought the cars were running into the pits the first time I saw them.
post #1630 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwig View Post
Hockenheim is absurdly narrow at several places, I thought the cars were running into the pits the first time I saw them.
LOL, it makes some of the FE tracks look wide.
mrtickleuk likes this.

post #1631 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

While channel surfing, I noticed that ESPN News (the only ESPN channel I get) was replaying the German GP yesterday afternoon. Knowing that it was a complete Merc disaster and a 50% Ferrari disaster, how could I resist falling off the F1 wagon?

The Gods were smiling on me because the 1st thing I saw when I changed channels was Ham pulling into the pits unannounced for tires and a new nose. Someone one really needs to capture that sequence and use the Benny Hill music....maybe add a bit of Toto slamming the table when Bottas binned it. Pure. Comedy. Gold.

Happy that Max won, but a rain race with changeable conditions is a lottery. Good to see that Max held the winning ticket, but all things being equal, F1 in 2019 is still usually all Merc, all the time.
gwsat likes this.
post #1632 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Happy that Max won, but a rain race with changeable conditions is a lottery. Good to see that Max held the winning ticket, but all things being equal, F1 in 2019 is still usually all HAM, all the time.
Fixed it for you.

As I said before, either Bottas isn't that great or the team favors Ham. In no other series does even the best driver beat his team mates every time. Denny Hamlin won for the third time despite Kyle Busch being the best driver in Nascar right now.

post #1633 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 11599
Quote:
Happy that Max won, but a rain race with changeable conditions is a lottery. Good to see that Max held the winning ticket, but all things being equal, F1 in 2019 is still usually all Merc, all the time.

The mixed conditions does show up the better drivers. Great for Max and Vettel really showed that he may still have what it takes.
gwsat likes this.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
post #1634 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Fixed it for you.

As I said before, either Bottas isn't that great or the team favors Ham. In no other series does even the best driver beat his team mates every time. Denny Hamlin won for the third time despite Kyle Busch being the best driver in Nascar right now.
Fair enough. But, Bottas has won this year.

What you won't see in modern F1 are two team cars going at it hammer and tongs for the last few laps for a win. You know, like what happened yesterday at Mid Ohio between Dixon and Rehnquist. The radio message to Felix from the pit wall was great...something like "just make it clean". In F1, we have gems like "Multi21" that a certain mealy mouth driver ignored.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #1635 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hopefully this stays up...

Tack likes this.
post #1636 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. But, Bottas has won this year.
So what. He is in the best car. It was also early in the year. Bottas has won five times in three years. In that same time, Ham has won twenty seven times.

Quote:
What you won't see in modern F1 are two team cars going at it hammer and tongs for the last few laps for a win. You know, like what happened yesterday at Mid Ohio between Dixon and Rehnquist. The radio message to Felix from the pit wall was great...something like "just make it clean". In F1, we have gems like "Multi21" that a certain mealy mouth driver ignored.

Correct. You also had Penske team mates battling and Andretti team mates racing. Well some Andretti team mates. Milka Andretti wasn't a factor until he was lapped.

Man, you are still grinding on Multi21. Is that going to be on your tombstone? Horner has already explained it. Webber reaped what he sewed.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...troversy-.html
Tack likes this.

post #1637 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Man, you are still grinding on Multi21. Is that going to be on your tombstone? Horner has already explained it. Webber reaped what he sewed.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/h...troversy-.html
Actually, I was thinking I would in fact grind on about it until the day I died, but thank's for the suggestion.....now I can whine about it for all eternity. :-)

The problem with Multi21 was first, that there was a Multi21. Second, for two weeks after the fact, pussy Vettel went on and on about not knowing what it was all about...claiming he was sorry.

He should have told Horner to F.O. the minute he got the message on the radio. Be a man. Grow some hair on your peaches. You're a racer and you are faster than the guy in front of you. Pass him, and don't offer up any mealy mouth apologies. I hated Vettel from that point on, and that was a long time before we all learned that he was also the village idiot.
catonic likes this.
post #1638 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4895 Post(s)
Liked: 6623
To be fair, Indy's hard racing ethic may look a little different if F1's cash flow was suddenly grafted onto it.
Panson likes this.
post #1639 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
To be fair, Indy's hard racing ethic may look a little different if F1's cash flow was suddenly grafted onto it.
Let's hope that never happens.

Side comment after watching a bit of my 1st F1 race since before halos came in.

Those cars are among the ugliest race cars ever, in particular in profile. They make LMP1 cars look beautiful in comparison. It did not help to tune in shortly after the Indy race concluded, which are among the most beautiful current open wheel cars.

In F1, form most definitely does not follow function. The halos, the ridiculous rake, the even more ridiculous shark fins, all the other stupid aero bits........these cars are just plain fugly. Even FE cars are prettier.
post #1640 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 481
^^ I'm over the halo, it doesn't bother me anymore. The front wings are far too big and that's why they get knocked off so often. The cars in general are too big, which is why some of the tracks seem too narrow now (that and the fact they are too narrow).

But the 2021 cars should look better, if the teams ever agree to the new regulations. The only problem is we almost have engine parity now (finally), and they risk throwing that away by changing the engine regs. I don't care too much what the cars look like if the racing is decent.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #1641 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Let's hope that never happens.

Side comment after watching a bit of my 1st F1 race since before halos came in.

Those cars are among the ugliest race cars ever, in particular in profile. They make LMP1 cars look beautiful in comparison. It did not help to tune in shortly after the Indy race concluded, which are among the most beautiful current open wheel cars.

In F1, form most definitely does not follow function. The halos, the ridiculous rake, the even more ridiculous shark fins, all the other stupid aero bits........these cars are just plain fugly. Even FE cars are prettier.

I am not disagreeing with you, but I was looking at the last generation rear wing the other day. I think this generation is much better.

What are you going to do when Indy brings in the aeroscreen/halo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^^ I'm over the halo, it doesn't bother me anymore. The front wings are far too big and that's why they get knocked off so often. The cars in general are too big, which is why some of the tracks seem too narrow now (that and the fact they are too narrow).

But the 2021 cars should look better, if the teams ever agree to the new regulations. The only problem is we almost have engine parity now (finally), and they risk throwing that away by changing the engine regs. I don't care too much what the cars look like if the racing is decent.

The engines are going to stand pat for the next couple of years. Pat Symonds mentioned that they are going to do a couple of things with fuel etc., but no major changes.

I have a feeling that come October the teams will have no choice but to accept what is in front of them. The cost cap hopefully won't be neutered.

post #1642 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

2019 Formula 1 Racing in HD

To me, the Indy approach doesn’t look bad at all.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/05...l-announcement

So to answer your question, I guess what I will do when Indy launches their cockpit protection, is reiterate that modern F1 cars are butt-ugly, and they should send Adrian Newey and his ilk on a permanent vacation.

Panson likes this.

Last edited by BGLeduc; 07-29-2019 at 03:11 PM.
post #1643 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 03:24 PM

That's a good looking car.
BGLeduc and gprace like this.
post #1644 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

2019 Formula 1 Racing in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
That's a good looking car.

And this.....a look only her momma could love, and even that is questionable.

But I am with ‘Glo on the rear wing....unexpectedly decent given the severe ugly stick beating the rest of the car got.

post #1645 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2269 Post(s)
Liked: 2457
Quote:
To me, the Indy approach doesn’t look bad at all.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2019/05...l-announcement

So to answer your question, I guess what I will do when Indy launches their cockpit protection, is reiterate that modern F1 cars are butt-ugly, and they should send Adrian Newey and his ilk on a permanent vacation.

That's fugly.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #1646 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2269 Post(s)
Liked: 2457
The Issues with the F1 cars is they are just too damn big, and that wheelbase and front wing, good lord. Shrink it down a bit without such a huge front wing, ugly side pods. Bigger wheels with narrower tire sidewall would also help.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #1647 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 08:30 PM

Definitely keep getting bigger. Get used to it. They're safer and it's not gonna change.

BGLeduc, Operon and mrtickleuk like this.
post #1648 of 2372 Old 07-29-2019, 08:43 PM

I think it has been said that the biggest reason for the increase in length is the new hybrid engines. That being said it is still remarkable the size difference.

post #1649 of 2372 Old 07-30-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Honey Badger's season, in pictures.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-...ng-nose-first/
post #1650 of 2372 Old 07-30-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Honey Badger's season, in pictures.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-...ng-nose-first/
I wonder what's really going through his mind about his new job. Those engines are just not getting better. Either is that chassis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page