2019 Formula 1 Racing in HD - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1821Likes

post #1861 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4895 Post(s)
Liked: 6623
Lotus Evija, 2K HP, 0 - 186 mph in nine seconds.

https://www.motor1.com/news/360174/l...percar-debuts/

BGLeduc, gprace and Panson like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 11599
Verstappen to start at the back in Italy due to engine due to excessive engine use.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
post #1863 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
I watched the reveal this morning. Nice. Looks like a real car. For $150k and up, it better be. I really hate the interior of Teslas with what looks like an iPad for a dash. Clearly all electric cars are the future though.

At my last autocross there was a guy with a Tesla 3. I have no idea if it was set-up or not, though I hear that they have performance parts available, and that they are tearing it up in SCCA Solo 2. But the point is, while the car was clearly not happy going around corners, the straight line acceleration was ridiculous. Everyone working the course was shocked at how quickly it it scooted once it was pointed straight. If they can be tuned to go around corners, they would surely be a blast to drive.
It might be a blast. My biggest reservation with the tech is the weight. I'm not sure if there's a lot of joy in tossing around a two ton car at an autocross, regardless of it's speed. A slower Miata may be more fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1864 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2683 Post(s)
Liked: 2591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Lotus Evija, 2K HP, 0 - 186 mph in nine seconds.

https://www.motor1.com/news/360174/l...percar-debuts/

Damn that is beautiful. It's all vaporware at this point of course, but it sure is purdy.
post #1865 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Damn that is beautiful. It's all vaporware at this point of course, but it sure is purdy.
They are talking about a full recharge in 15 minutes or so from a 350 charger, less with a bigger charger. That outta dim the lights.
post #1866 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3779 Post(s)
Liked: 2179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwig View Post
I’m surprised how little commentary there has been here regarding Ocon replacing Hulkenberg.
Quote:
Not much to say. I feel for him, but he's not new, and RIC has shown him up pretty much. Plus Ocon is French and the higher ups want that, I suppose. He's had a good run, prolly not hurting for money either.

That team shoots themselves in the foot more than Ferarri so maybe he's happy about it.
I think you are correct about the French angle. Matthew Carter talked about how Renault might be on the edge. Ghosn talked the board into F1 and outlined their plan to be racing at the front by now. Unless something happens drastically, I doubt Renault will be near the front next year. Without Ghosn, Renault may decide to call it quits.

In the short term, it is easy to replace a driver and blame lack of pace on him. Danny boy is a race winner, so harder to replace him. That leaves Hulk. Renault puts in the new golden boy who is French and maybe it buys them time till '21.

I don't cry to much for Hulk. He may move over to Haas or Williams. If he doesn't then he still could run Indy. I bet McLaren would love to have him.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #1867 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
"Porsche to invest $6.7 billion to develop electric vehicles"
Quote:
I watched the reveal this morning. Nice. Looks like a real car. For $150k and up, it better be. I really hate the interior of Teslas with what looks like an iPad for a dash. Clearly all electric cars are the future though.

At my last autocross there was a guy with a Tesla 3. I have no idea if it was set-up or not, though I hear that they have performance parts available, and that they are tearing it up in SCCA Solo 2. But the point is, while the car was clearly not happy going around corners, the straight line acceleration was ridiculous. Everyone working the course was shocked at how quickly it it scooted once it was pointed straight. If they can be tuned to go around corners, they would surely be a blast to drive.
I can't imagine a Porsche handling like pig. Do you have a deposit down?

I did see one picture with a woman leaning up against the car. I wonder if this will be marketed towards chicks or guys.
Panson likes this.

post #1868 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
As an IndyCar newbie I'm now nearly at the end of my first season - finally I know enough of the drivers and their names . So I was very pleased for
Spoiler!
when he won the last race. He's had such terrible bad luck and in his interviews he's sounded so down and distraught! Good for him!
Yeah, he seemed depressed despite winning Pocono.

As an outsider, I am curious what your impressions are about Indycar in general and the season. I have been critical of the series in the past. The driving talent still isn't on the level of Nascar or F1, but it has gotten better. Of course, they looked like amateurs during those first couple of laps. Rahal and Milka Andretti shouldn't be in the series. In case you don't get my derogatory reference, look up Milka Duno.

Despite that, the cars look like a challenge to drive. Rossi and Newgarden are to great racers and there are some other young drivers that look to be good as well.

One final thing, I think this is crap, but the final race counts double points. If it wasn't for this gimmick at Indy and the Laguna, then Jo would already be champion.
mrtickleuk likes this.

post #1869 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
Verstappen to start at the back in Italy due to engine due to excessive engine use.
He crashed out and was using the spec 2 engine. Kvyat is on spec 4. Maybe they should have installed the spec 4. I read that .2 seconds equals 10 hp.

I wonder where Honda is in their development cycle. Singapore always has safety cars, so they could get away with grid penalties there.

On another note, I watched the first race of the NY eprix. There was a lot of bumping and banging going on like a Nascar race, but for some reason I can't get into it. I still think it is because of the mickey mouse circuits.
Panson likes this.

post #1870 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 11599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
On another note, I watched the first race of the NY eprix. There was a lot of bumping and banging going on like a Nascar race, but for some reason I can't get into it. I still think it is because of the mickey mouse circuits.

I was there. Viewing from the stands was horrible. Will not go again. Yes, the track is much too narrow.
Panson likes this.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
post #1871 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 5396 Post(s)
Liked: 7789
Quote:
Yeah, he seemed depressed despite winning Pocono.
I've seen him before, so that was "happy" :-)

Quote:
As an outsider, I am curious what your impressions are about Indycar in general and the season. I have been critical of the series in the past. The driving talent still isn't on the level of Nascar or F1, but it has gotten better. Of course, they looked like amateurs during those first couple of laps. Rahal and Milka Andretti shouldn't be in the series. In case you don't get my derogatory reference, look up Milka Duno.
Wow. Thanks :-)

Ok, a brain-dump.

The season:
  • I like the idea that 4 drivers could win, with two races left. That wouldn't happen in F1!
  • Random podiums for older drivers who are pretty much geriatrics in F1 terms, such as Antoine Kanaan Filho (why has he Anglicised his name to "Tony Kanaan"? Is it because Americans wouldn't understand, surely not?!) getting 3rd at Gateway - are really great!
  • Great to see Felix Rosenqvist, who I knew well from Formula E, doing well.
  • Annoyed to see the racist thug Santino Ferrucci doing well, and especially his bad attitude continues to leak out (such as his interview where he refused to apologised for taking out Scott Dixon (I think) on the last lap of a race recently.
  • Nice variety of tracks, ovals, night/day races.

IndyCar general:
  • Prayers before the race - no. Keep religion out of sport. Absolutely ludicrous and shocking for me.
  • "The Command" business is also very embarrassing. In F1, drivers used to have to run to their cars as part of the race. But that was a lifetime ago, come on. And as for "It's time for the most famous words in all of sport" - PMSL, that's so obviously exaggerated it's just digging a bigger hole. Funny how I'd never heard of that phrase being important, or called "The Command" (are we all in the army now, taking orders?), before I started watching IndyCar this year. And then when it's all said and done, the drivers do not start their engines! A crew member does from behind the car, so none of them ever obey it.
  • No sector times.
  • Pit stops are very dangerous with very tight pitlanes and crews on top of each other. This is despite some of the biggest tracks in the whole world being used, there's no reason for the pit lane to be massively wide, but then too short to be long enough for drivers to pull in and out of their slots without taking out another crewmember from another team. This even happened at the Indy 500, the biggest widest track I've seen in my life! How can they manage that when F1 raced in the same pitlane with only 20 cars and there was plenty of space? Does someone have to be killed before they fix this?
  • Pit crews look noticeably older, and much fatter, than the F1 pit crews. Don't know why but it really did jump out at me!
  • Don't like rolling starts. Supposedly safer - so why the stupid massive accidents on the first laps (eg the last race).
  • Seems a bit "dumbed down" in general compared to F1. Eg "let's try to change a car's battery and send it back out", with a team boss shrugging nonchalantly saying "dunno, it just broke" without any interest in finding out why. If that was F1, they'd have a redesigned battery system for the next race!

Coverage:
  • I'm "lucky" with Sky coverage since we get no adverts during a race. But the sheer number of breaks is breath-taking. Each time, we get the outro music (last race was random stupid songs from the 1980s) and then a few minutes of total silence with no on-screen graphics. Sometimes I hear the main presenter (Leigh Diffey) practising his lines! "You're watching the NTT coverage of Indycar from X, brought to you by: <OVERLY DRAMATIC PAUSE which is 5 seconds longer than it needs to be> Chevrolet!". Then he goes quiet. Then a few minutes later, he says it again when the onscreen graphics are actually being shown and you guys are back. Seems a bit amateurish but their enthusiasm for motor racing is now clear to me, which it wasn't at the start of the year.
  • Nice camaraderie in commentary with him, Townsend Bell and Paul Tracy. But when they are in front of the camera, they look very silly wearing full suits in the boiling sun. Paul Tracy I've noticed keeps staring and grinning at the camera when he's waiting to speak, and always looks awkward (I presume he's done this for a few years now, so why does he still look like a rabbit in the headlights?).
  • Not technical enough. In F1, Crofty and Martin always explain things for new viewers. No such thing from these guys. If you've got 200 laps you easily have time to mention what "red" and "black" tyres means (I had to ask here), which gears they are using, which speeds they are going, etc. Explain why it takes 15 laps to clear an accident that in F1, say if it happened in Monaco, the marshalls would have whipped the car away in about 30 seconds. (Confess that it's to bunch the field up to artificially influence the race, in other words).
  • Example - in the last race they explained that if the graphic on the left turns blue, the drivers are using their "push to pass". Right. I've been watching every minute of every race this year, I've seen the blue and didn't realise what it was, and this was the FIRST time all year they've mentioned it!
  • The pit reporters - Ted's American cousins :-) - seem good too, but the old guy (Robin Miller?) putting his arm on drivers' shoulders and talking down to them in a quite patronising way ("well done, sonny boy" type stuff) I don't like. If he's a much-loved veteran that I'm not aware of I apologise, it's just how he comes across to me. They all seem to break off from a driver interview without ending it properly as well. They are then leaving the driver stood awkwardly, having to realise that his interview is over and the reporter has suddenly switched mid-sentence from talking to them to talking about them to an unseen colleague, even though they are still stood right there! Then the driver then has to awkwardly shuffle away with the camera still on them. So bad. It's a really rude way to treat people.
  • Nice to see them doing their best to care about the small teams that can't afford to race everywhere, and complimenting rival channels' staff (someone retired I think, but got a mention a few races ago).

Quote:
One final thing, I think this is crap, but the final race counts double points. If it wasn't for this gimmick at Indy and the Laguna, then Jo would already be champion.
Oh no! I hated it when Bernie did that. At least I won't be so shocked when it happens now that I know :-)
Ericglo likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #1872 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3268 Post(s)
Liked: 2590
Quote:
Prayers before the race - no. Keep religion out of sport. Absolutely ludicrous and shocking for me.
It's okay. You'll be alright.
Panson likes this.
post #1873 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 2379
Quote:
I can't imagine a Porsche handling like pig. Do you have a deposit down?

I did see one picture with a woman leaning up against the car. I wonder if this will be marketed towards chicks or guys.
I've no doubt Porsche is on top of it. Good marketing ploy with the woman leaning. Pleases both sexes.

Studies show M&F are equally attracted to hybrids, e-cars.

Men 2 to 1 will pull the trigger.

Men 3 to 1 will pull the trigger on a 2-seater, regardless of tech.

Thanks to SUVs and sedan, traditional sports car sales have plummeted for Porsche. Maybe they see a sporty e-car getting some of that back.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #1874 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
No matter the race or place, Jim Nabors singing Back Home Again in Indiana, yeh.
GLBright likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

post #1875 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've no doubt Porsche is on top of it. Good marketing ploy with the woman leaning. Pleases both sexes.

Thanks to SUVs and sedan, traditional sports car sales have plummeted for Porsche. Maybe they see a sporty e-car getting some of that back.
How many of those men are pulling the trigger to give it to a woman?
post #1876 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I've seen him before, so that was "happy" :-)

Wow. Thanks :-)

Ok, a brain-dump.

The season:
  • I like the idea that 4 drivers could win, with two races left. That wouldn't happen in F1!
  • Random podiums for older drivers who are pretty much geriatrics in F1 terms, such as Antoine Kanaan Filho (why has he Anglicised his name to "Tony Kanaan"? Is it because Americans wouldn't understand, surely not?!) getting 3rd at Gateway - are really great!
  • Great to see Felix Rosenqvist, who I knew well from Formula E, doing well.
  • Annoyed to see the racist thug Santino Ferrucci doing well, and especially his bad attitude continues to leak out (such as his interview where he refused to apologised for taking out Scott Dixon (I think) on the last lap of a race recently.
  • Nice variety of tracks, ovals, night/day races.

IndyCar general:
  • Prayers before the race - no. Keep religion out of sport. Absolutely ludicrous and shocking for me.
  • "The Command" business is also very embarrassing. In F1, drivers used to have to run to their cars as part of the race. But that was a lifetime ago, come on. And as for "It's time for the most famous words in all of sport" - PMSL, that's so obviously exaggerated it's just digging a bigger hole. Funny how I'd never heard of that phrase being important, or called "The Command" (are we all in the army now, taking orders?), before I started watching IndyCar this year. And then when it's all said and done, the drivers do not start their engines! A crew member does from behind the car, so none of them ever obey it.
  • No sector times.
  • Pit stops are very dangerous with very tight pitlanes and crews on top of each other. This is despite some of the biggest tracks in the whole world being used, there's no reason for the pit lane to be massively wide, but then too short to be long enough for drivers to pull in and out of their slots without taking out another crewmember from another team. This even happened at the Indy 500, the biggest widest track I've seen in my life! How can they manage that when F1 raced in the same pitlane with only 20 cars and there was plenty of space? Does someone have to be killed before they fix this?
  • Pit crews look noticeably older, and much fatter, than the F1 pit crews. Don't know why but it really did jump out at me!
  • Don't like rolling starts. Supposedly safer - so why the stupid massive accidents on the first laps (eg the last race).
  • Seems a bit "dumbed down" in general compared to F1. Eg "let's try to change a car's battery and send it back out", with a team boss shrugging nonchalantly saying "dunno, it just broke" without any interest in finding out why. If that was F1, they'd have a redesigned battery system for the next race!

Coverage:
  • I'm "lucky" with Sky coverage since we get no adverts during a race. But the sheer number of breaks is breath-taking. Each time, we get the outro music (last race was random stupid songs from the 1980s) and then a few minutes of total silence with no on-screen graphics. Sometimes I hear the main presenter (Leigh Diffey) practising his lines! "You're watching the NTT coverage of Indycar from X, brought to you by: <OVERLY DRAMATIC PAUSE which is 5 seconds longer than it needs to be> Chevrolet!". Then he goes quiet. Then a few minutes later, he says it again when the onscreen graphics are actually being shown and you guys are back. Seems a bit amateurish but their enthusiasm for motor racing is now clear to me, which it wasn't at the start of the year.
  • Nice camaraderie in commentary with him, Townsend Bell and Paul Tracy. But when they are in front of the camera, they look very silly wearing full suits in the boiling sun. Paul Tracy I've noticed keeps staring and grinning at the camera when he's waiting to speak, and always looks awkward (I presume he's done this for a few years now, so why does he still look like a rabbit in the headlights?).
  • Not technical enough. In F1, Crofty and Martin always explain things for new viewers. No such thing from these guys. If you've got 200 laps you easily have time to mention what "red" and "black" tyres means (I had to ask here), which gears they are using, which speeds they are going, etc. Explain why it takes 15 laps to clear an accident that in F1, say if it happened in Monaco, the marshalls would have whipped the car away in about 30 seconds. (Confess that it's to bunch the field up to artificially influence the race, in other words).
  • Example - in the last race they explained that if the graphic on the left turns blue, the drivers are using their "push to pass". Right. I've been watching every minute of every race this year, I've seen the blue and didn't realise what it was, and this was the FIRST time all year they've mentioned it!
  • The pit reporters - Ted's American cousins :-) - seem good too, but the old guy (Robin Miller?) putting his arm on drivers' shoulders and talking down to them in a quite patronising way ("well done, sonny boy" type stuff) I don't like. If he's a much-loved veteran that I'm not aware of I apologise, it's just how he comes across to me. They all seem to break off from a driver interview without ending it properly as well. They are then leaving the driver stood awkwardly, having to realise that his interview is over and the reporter has suddenly switched mid-sentence from talking to them to talking about them to an unseen colleague, even though they are still stood right there! Then the driver then has to awkwardly shuffle away with the camera still on them. So bad. It's a really rude way to treat people.
  • Nice to see them doing their best to care about the small teams that can't afford to race everywhere, and complimenting rival channels' staff (someone retired I think, but got a mention a few races ago).

Oh no! I hated it when Bernie did that. At least I won't be so shocked when it happens now that I know :-)

WOW!!!

Now that is a reply.

Thanks for being so detailed. What I meant by outsider is someone new to the series and not in the US.

I could nitpick, but your list is good. I would say the pit stops would be one my one disagreement. Since there is only one stall per team in F1, there really isn't a lot of chaos unless there is a safety car. In the US, each car has a stall. I could see were that could be more dangerous, but it hasn't really been an issue. My one concern would be making sure the crew can't jump the wall till the car enters the stall. Nascar does this and Indy should as well. I can't recall a crew member being killed in Indycar. IIRC Nascar had one in the mid '80s. I will add that US tracks have walls whereas F1 doesn't.

Your observation about pit reporters is spot on. Since I think it has always been done that way, I never thought about it. Glad to get your perspective on it.

Robin Miller has been covering Indycar since like 1970. He has been one of if not the biggest supporters of the series. He reminds me of the father who will criticize his kid, but become outraged if someone else says the same thing.

post #1877 of 2372 Old 09-04-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:
How many of those men are pulling the trigger to give it to a woman?
In South Florida, it is probably somewhere around 90%.

Ask BG what the number is for his neighbors at his apartment in the Porsche Tower.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Design_Tower

post #1878 of 2372 Old 09-05-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In South Florida, it is probably somewhere around 90%.

Ask BG what the number is for his neighbors at his apartment in the Porsche Tower.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Design_Tower
Porsche Tower is a total chick scene. They even have feminine hygiene product vending machines in the lobby and elevators.
Panson likes this.
post #1879 of 2372 Old 09-05-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #1880 of 2372 Old 09-05-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I wonder how much real interest there was from Ferrari. I am sure they talk to everyone like all the teams do. I doubt Ferrari cared about his large backing.

Matthew Carter has said multiple times that Pastor was inconsistent, but could occasionally put up a good lap. Without his large backing, Pastor would not have been in F1. I wonder at what point everyone in the paddock knew that.

I did laugh out loud when he said he was better than some drivers on the grid. Maybe Kubica with possibly Gio and Stroll, but that might be a stretch.

post #1881 of 2372 Old 09-05-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
blutarsky sounds like an intelligent fellow . It was the japanese who did that. I assume that was part of the joke.
Whoosh!
post #1882 of 2372 Old 09-05-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I will be. Notwithstanding that, I stand by my comment. Religion has absolutely no place in politics, government, public sport events, etc.
Sharp1080, Cheddarhead and Panson like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #1883 of 2372 Old 09-05-2019, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, I will be. Notwithstanding that, I stand by my comment. Religion has absolutely no place in politics, government, public sport events, etc.
Apparently some think it does. That's what makes freedom great. Hopefully they won't remove prayer by force the way they did the grid girls.
Panson likes this.
post #1884 of 2372 Old 09-05-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
WOW!!!

Now that is a reply.

Thanks for being so detailed. What I meant by outsider is someone new to the series and not in the US.
That's pretty much me :-)

Quote:
I could nitpick, but your list is good.
Thanks. As I tried to make clear, it was just a brain-dump, so if anyone was to take just one sentence out of it and snipe at that, it wouldn't really be fair

Quote:
I would say the pit stops would be one my one disagreement. Since there is only one stall per team in F1, there really isn't a lot of chaos unless there is a safety car. In the US, each car has a stall.
I see. I did not know that.

So they don't share pit-crews and can't ever "double stack" - because they have their own people? That certainly explains why it takes up such a massive length of road.

Quote:
I could see were that could be more dangerous, but it hasn't really been an issue. My one concern would be making sure the crew can't jump the wall till the car enters the stall. Nascar does this and Indy should as well. I can't recall a crew member being killed in Indycar. IIRC Nascar had one in the mid '80s. I will add that US tracks have walls whereas F1 doesn't.
What if someone trips when they are trying to jump over a wall and falls badly? I thought one of the mechanics at one of the oval races hurt himself that way a few weeks ago, but they are all merging into one and my memory is hazy.

Quote:
Your observation about pit reporters is spot on. Since I think it has always been done that way, I never thought about it. Glad to get your perspective on it.
Ta. It may also be an UK vs American culture thing. When I first saw American news TV I was gobsmacked at the causal way they "hand over" to each other. Often with a single word, such as the name of the "destination" presenter.

Robin at the track: .....blah blah blah, Paul?
[fast cut to]
Paul in the studio: thanks Robin! In other news today..

you have the time it takes him to say the single word "Paul", which for some reason is voiced like a question, to know that it's a handover. This is similar to what they are doing to the drivers, right in front of them.

In the UK that would be.
Robin at the track: .....blah blah blah, but that's where we are. (a)This is Robin Miller reporting for BBC News, Chicago.
[fast cut to]
Paul in the studio: [short pause] - (b)Robin Miller there, reporting from Chicago. In other news today

We might not get both (a) and (b), but we would normally get at least one of them!

If you watch the Sky coverage of any interview with a driver (not so much on the grid, but pre and post-race), you'll notice a very big difference in style. They always end by thanking them, without fail.

Quote:
Robin Miller has been covering Indycar since like 1970. He has been one of if not the biggest supporters of the series. He reminds me of the father who will criticize his kid, but become outraged if someone else says the same thing.
Wow, that makes sense then.

post #1885 of 2372 Old 09-05-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Apparently some think it does.
That's obvious otherwise it wouldn't currently be happening. I just mentioned that IMHO it doesn't, as a tiny part of a very long post covering everything that sprung to mind.

post #1886 of 2372 Old 09-05-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That's obvious otherwise it wouldn't currently be happening. I just mentioned that IMHO it doesn't, as a tiny part of a very long post covering everything that sprung to mind.
It was the very first thing listed in your complaints. That's mostly what motivated me to reply. Anyhow..I have nothing else to add.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #1887 of 2372 Old 09-05-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Chronological order

post #1888 of 2372 Old 09-05-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I see. I did not know that.

So they don't share pit-crews and can't ever "double stack" - because they have their own people? That certainly explains why it takes up such a massive length of road.
Yes, no double stacking. I don't think there is any sharing of crews between drivers unless a team mate is out of the race and a crew person is needed.

Also, there isn't one Toto, Christian, etc. overseeing the drivers. Each driver has his own guys overseeing everything. I realize they do that in F1, but it is really sandboxed in Indycar. I don't think I have ever heard Roger Penske give advice to Newgarden's team or Simon's team.

Quote:
What if someone trips when they are trying to jump over a wall and falls badly? I thought one of the mechanics at one of the oval races hurt himself that way a few weeks ago, but they are all merging into one and my memory is hazy.
Not sure I remember that, but I guess they get back up and do their job or have someone else do it.

I still think having a wall is safer than no wall at all like F1.

Quote:
Ta. It may also be an UK vs American culture thing. When I first saw American news TV I was gobsmacked at the causal way they "hand over" to each other. Often with a single word, such as the name of the "destination" presenter.

Robin at the track: .....blah blah blah, Paul?
[fast cut to]
Paul in the studio: thanks Robin! In other news today..

you have the time it takes him to say the single word "Paul", which for some reason is voiced like a question, to know that it's a handover. This is similar to what they are doing to the drivers, right in front of them.

In the UK that would be.
Robin at the track: .....blah blah blah, but that's where we are. (a)This is Robin Miller reporting for BBC News, Chicago.
[fast cut to]
Paul in the studio: [short pause] - (b)Robin Miller there, reporting from Chicago. In other news today

We might not get both (a) and (b), but we would normally get at least one of them!

If you watch the Sky coverage of any interview with a driver (not so much on the grid, but pre and post-race), you'll notice a very big difference in style. They always end by thanking them, without fail.
Nothing to add. I think sometimes my local news does it the UK way though.

Quote:
Wow, that makes sense then.
He has kind of become an Indycar institution. He championed Cart then Indy during the break up when most people like myself left in disgust.
mrtickleuk likes this.

post #1889 of 2372 Old 09-05-2019, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What about Bob?(Varsha)

post #1890 of 2372 Old 09-06-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It might be a blast. My biggest reservation with the tech is the weight. I'm not sure if there's a lot of joy in tossing around a two ton car at an autocross, regardless of it's speed. A slower Miata may be more fun.
The results of the SCCA Solo 2 National Championships, B Street Class. Hot off the press.

http://sololive.scca.com/BS.php

It may be like bedding an ugly girl...sure its fun with the lights out, you just don't want anyone to see you doing it. But I bet the guy is not going to be thinking about that when he picks up the National Championship Trophy and jacket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page