The Letter For The King on Netflix - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By WilliamR
  • 1 Post By Josh Z
  • 1 Post By Dargent0628

post #1 of 9 Old 12-12-2018, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 3362
The Letter For The King on Netflix

Netflix Sets Cast For ‘The Letter For The King’ Series Based On Classic Dutch Novel

by Nellie Andreeva
and Denise Petski
December 12, 2018 9:00am

Amir Wilson (The Secret Garden), Ruby Serkis and Nathanael Saleh, who plays John Banks in Mary Poppins Returns, lead the young cast of The Letter for the King, the coming-of-age drama series based on Tonke Dragt’s bestselling medieval adventure novel. The English-language series, the streaming service’s first Dutch book adaptation, just wrapped shooting in New Zealand and will be moving to Prague in early 2019. UK-based FilmWave acquired the international television rights in a deal with Amsterdam-based publishing house Leopold. Netflix will release globally.

The Letter for the King is set in a world full of adventure and intrigue, where no one wants to be a knight more than Tiuri (Wilson) who is tasked with delivering a top-secret letter on which the fate of the entire kingdom depends. On their journey, he and his young friends will discover just how much it takes to become a true knight, and just how much the broken adult world needs them to fix it.

Wilson’s Tiuri is a 15-year-old squire who answers a desperate call for help and finds himself on a perilous mission that could cost him his life.Serkis is Lavinia, who is charismatic and determined, adventurous and ahead of her time. Joins Tiuri on the adventure to deliver the letter.

Saleh portrays Piak, a fearless and excitable young boy who couldn’t bear seeing his older brother go on an adventure while he missed out at home.

They will be joined on their journey by the other Novices, played by Thaddea Graham as Iona, Islam Bouakkaz as Arman, Jack Barton as Foldo and Jonah Lees as Jussipo.

Yorick van Wageningen (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) is King Favian, an elderly king who’s been playing the game for long enough but is the last to see what’s coming. With newcomer Gijs Blom as Prince Viridian and Jakob Oftebro (Lilyhammer) as Crown Prince Iridian.
Rounding out the cast are Emilie Cocquerel (The New Legend of the Monkey) as Queen Alianor, Ken Nwosu (The Man) as Ristridin, Peter Ferdinando (Ghost in the Shell) as Jaro, Kemi-Bo Jacobs (McMafia) as Tiuri’s mother Darya, David Wilmot (The Guard) as Slupor, Tawfeek Barhom (The Looming Tower) as Jabroot and Omid Djalili as Sir Fantumar.

Will Davies (How To Train Your Dragon, Puss In Boots) executive produces and serves as showrunner. Dutch producer Paul Trijbits (Saving Mr Banks) executive produces for FilmWave, which he co-owns with Christian Grass. Alex Holmes (Paula, Maiden) and Felix Thompson (King Jack) direct.

The classic novel was originally published in 1962 and has been translated into 25 languages, including English in 2014 via Pushkin Press. The book won the Griffel der Griffels for Best Children’s Book of All Time and is a beloved part of Dutch culture.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/netflix...el-1202518422/
Don S likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-13-2020, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked: 2761
post #3 of 9 Old 02-26-2020, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked: 2761
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-26-2020, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 3362
This was added to my must watch. Looks pretty cool.

post #5 of 9 Old 02-27-2020, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 5306 Post(s)
Liked: 4394
I don't know anything about the book, but this show is very much "Game of Thrones: Junior Edition." I watched the first episode last night. It's competently executed, but it's very YA and filled with every Hero's Journey trope you've seen a thousand times before.

The show also bends over backwards to be "diverse" in its casting to the point of distraction. Medieval Europe wasn't exactly known for its inclusiveness or gender and racial egalitarianism, but there seems to be zero racism or sexism in this world.
Dargent0628 likes this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-06-2020, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 821
The Letter for the King - Netflix

I was browsing for a series on Netflix and came across this one. Only 6 episodes, and I enjoyed it all the way through. I found this well done and an excellent diversion for anyone looking something new.

"A young knight in training contends with ancient prophecies, magical powers and fickle companions as he sets out on an epic quest to save his kingdom."

The Letter for the King

Edit: Should have known William would have this posted already! Glad they merged the threads.

Last edited by Don S; 05-07-2020 at 06:03 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-07-2020, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I don't know anything about the book, but this show is very much "Game of Thrones: Junior Edition." I watched the first episode last night. It's competently executed, but it's very YA and filled with every Hero's Journey trope you've seen a thousand times before.

The show also bends over backwards to be "diverse" in its casting to the point of distraction. Medieval Europe wasn't exactly known for its inclusiveness or gender and racial egalitarianism, but there seems to be zero racism or sexism in this world.
We binged it in one night. I appreciated the humor occasionally, but you sure are right. But trope is generous. Cliche might be more accurate. I also appreciated the positive messages re: gender and sexual orientation. And the horse I must admit was hysterical. Practically Mr Ed... Anyhoo 1-5 I'd give it a 2.5.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Josh Z likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-09-2020, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I finished it up last night and liked it

Jerry
post #9 of 9 Old 05-11-2020, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter