Escape at Dannemora on Showtime - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 3 Post By I WANT MORE
  • 1 Post By bobby94928
  • 3 Post By iamian
  • 1 Post By keg97
  • 1 Post By bobby94928
  • 2 Post By gwsat

post #1 of 19 Old 01-01-2019, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Escape at Dannemora on Showtime

Excellent!
Highly recommend.

Perhaps I misremembered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-01-2019, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Agree- I'm almost through the last episode. From what I've read, it's pretty spot on factual too.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-01-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked: 1314
I thought Showtime's version was very well done.

Oxygen's documentary "Dannemora Prison Break" was also very good.

Showtime's casting was really spot on. I had to look up who played Lyle if it was the real Lyle.

Fixed and did I mess this post up.

These are just my opinions.

Last edited by oldcband; 01-01-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-01-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post
I thought HBO's version was very well done.

AMC's documentary was also spot on.

HBO's casting was really spot on. I had to look up who played Lyle if it was the real Lyle.
I just know that you meant Showtime's version....
oldcband likes this.

Bobby 

post #5 of 19 Old 01-01-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2312 Post(s)
Liked: 1795
One of the best limited series this year. Interesting that Patricia Arquette was willing to put on extra weight to play the role (which she played well). She claimed it was lots of "milkshakes". What a cast overall! And Ben Stiller directing and it's not a comedy.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-01-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post
I thought Showtime's version was very well done.

Oxygen's documentary "Dannemora Prison Break" was also very good.

Showtime's casting was really spot on. I had to look up who played Lyle if it was the real Lyle.

Fixed and did I mess this post up.
Lyle was great but so was David Sweat. Wow- he looked the part!
post #7 of 19 Old 01-02-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 59
This series was spectacular. Every single episode (all directed by Ben Stiller) was thrilling to watch. Almost no "filler" or slack time. The cinematography was beautiful. The "breakout" episode (Episode 6 I believe) may have been my favorite.

Owner: Sony XBR-55A1E, Oppo BDP-103, Kenwood VR5900, Meadowlark Audio Heron-i
post #8 of 19 Old 01-03-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Excellent series, but Joyce Mitchell rips Ben Stiller:

https://nypost.com/2018/12/22/joyce-...-at-dannemora/

post #9 of 19 Old 01-03-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Excellent series, but Joyce Mitchell rips Ben Stiller:

https://nypost.com/2018/12/22/joyce-...-at-dannemora/
Did anyone expect her to do otherwise?
taxman48, keg97 and ss9001 like this.

post #10 of 19 Old 01-04-2019, 04:32 AM

I think my favorite part about the series was the final episode. It helped so much to truly see the terrain both the escapees and law enforcement were dealing with. I'm still dumbfounded by how Sweat got caught. It seems like a careless mistake on his part to be so cavalier about being in the open...especially when he was so close to the Canadian border!
taxman48 likes this.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 03:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by keg97 View Post
I think my favorite part about the series was the final episode. It helped so much to truly see the terrain both the escapees and law enforcement were dealing with. I'm still dumbfounded by how Sweat got caught. It seems like a careless mistake on his part to be so cavalier about being in the open...especially when he was so close to the Canadian border!
He didn't go North, or stay off the main roads. Dannemora to Canadian Border: ***This if they followed the main roads. The back roads would have cut the travel time in half, or given them another week on the lamb if they needed it.

If they got their "ride" [time] 39 Minute [distance] 33 miles ***
or
Walk/run [time] 10hr+ [distance] 32 miles ***

There is plenty of food, shelter, water in that area. Only the truly stupid couldn't survive.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2tvClassics View Post
He didn't go North, or stay off the main roads. Dannemora to Canadian Border: ***This if they followed the main roads. The back roads would have cut the travel time in half, or given them another week on the lamb if they needed it.

If they got their "ride" [time] 39 Minute [distance] 33 miles ***
or
Walk/run [time] 10hr+ [distance] 32 miles ***

There is plenty of food, shelter, water in that area. Only the truly stupid couldn't survive.
Yet this is how it actually happened. The plan was to go by car to Mexico, not Canada. When the car didn't arrive the escapees had to play everything by ear without knowledge of backroads, etc. The fact that one of them was an arrogant ass and loonier than a fruitcake helped to bring them down.
andwhatnot likes this.

Bobby 

post #13 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 170
^^^^^ Sorry about this, but for some reason this cracked me up. "Loonier than a fruitcake". Maybe nuttier was the word you wanted?
post #14 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andwhatnot View Post
^^^^^ Sorry about this, but for some reason this cracked me up. "Loonier than a fruitcake". Maybe nuttier was the word you wanted?
I can tell, you're not a fan of Stand By Me!

Bobby 

post #15 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Yet this is how it actually happened. The plan was to go by car to Mexico, not Canada. When the car didn't arrive the escapees had to play everything by ear without knowledge of backroads, etc. The fact that one of them was an arrogant ass and loonier than a fruitcake helped to bring them down.
Yeah, "The Big Plan" with help breakout of the Northern New York State Prison. [x] Their helper was going to meet them with a car to drive to Mexico.
Let's see that means they would need to drive through: New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, & Texasto get to Mexico.By the time they gotten halfway through New York, they would have been on every watch list. They had no chance in hell of getting to Mexico.
Even if they had to play by ear, heading south was a DOA plan.Getting out the state ASAP should of been their priority.That was going North, through a quiet Canadian Crossing.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-29-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
^^^
I thought the series made it pretty clear that there wasn't a whole brain in the lot of them. The surprise wasn't in the outcome, but in the fact that they got out at all.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-29-2019, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
^^^
I thought the series made it pretty clear that there wasn't a whole brain in the lot of them. The surprise wasn't in the outcome, but in the fact that they got out at all.

Not if your familiar with the prison itself. This is a very old prison. It's older than Alcatraz, and there was a big escape there. The escape there was very similar to this one.

Dannemora :
(Openned in 1845)
(Expanded 1887) 60ft tall walls added
(Expanded 1899) Dannemora State Hospital built inside for insane criminals
(Expanded / Closures 1929-1941) Riots prompted changes:
Renovation or Rebuilding on inside structures "modernizition"
Church of St. Dismas, the Good Thief was built from 1939 to 1941
Mental Institutions closed and converted into an annex to house more prisoners.

On June 6, 2015, inmates Richard Matt and David Sweat, both serving sentences for murder, escaped from the facility. Two prison employees, Joyce Mitchell and Gene Palmer, were charged with aiding the escape. On June 26, Matt was shot and killed by a Vermont border patrol agent in the town of Malone, New York. Two days later, Sweat was shot by a New York State Trooper and subsequently captured. In
the days after the escape some prisoners reported having been beaten by guards in an attempt to obtain information as to the whereabouts and plans of the escaped inmates
https://*******/2WmC4cu
https://*******/2Rs8wqa
https://*******/2UufoFE
https://*******/2Sg60Ib

While:

Alcatraz (Opened August 11, 1934 - Closed March 21, 1963)
The main prison building was built in 1910–1912 during its time as a United States Army military prison Alcatraz had been the site of a Fort Alcatraz since the 1860s. Alcatraz had been acquired by the United States Department of Justice on October 12, 1933, and the island became a prison of the Federal Bureau of Prisons in August 1934 after the buildings were "modernized" to meet the requirements of a top-notch security prison.

"Escape from Alcatraz"
On June 11, 1962, Frank Morris, John Anglin, and Clarence Anglin carried out one of the most intricate escapes ever devised. Behind the prisoners' cells in Cell Block B (where the escapees were interned)
was an unguarded 3-foot (0.91 m) wide utility corridor. The prisoners chiselled away the moisture-damaged concrete from around an air vent leading to this corridor, using tools such as a metal spoon soldered with silver from a dime and an electric drill improvised from a stolen vacuum cleaner motor. The noise was disguised by accordions played during music hour, and the progress was concealed by false walls which, in the dark recesses of the cells, fooled the guards. The escape route led up through a fan vent; the prisoners removed the fan and motor, replacing them with a steel grill and leaving a shaft large enough for a prisoner to enter. Stealing a carborundum abrasive cord from the prison workshop, the prisoners then removed the rivets from the grill. In their beds, they placed papier-mâché dummies made with human hair stolen from the barbershop. The escapees also constructed an inflatable raft over many weeks from over 50 stolen raincoats, which they prepared on the top of the cellblock, concealed from the guards by sheets which had been put up over the sides. They escaped through a vent in the roof and departed Alcatraz.
https://*******/2HBAPD3
https://*******/2RWO1as
https://*******/2DJhmML
https://*******/2DJTn05
https://*******/2Uvfahx
https://*******/2Sa8xDK

Big difference, the Alcatraz escape was successful.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-10-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
^^^
Got the last 100 min ep to watch. It was painful to watch the Tilly & Lyle characterizations - he seemed mentally impaired & she stupid & morally bankrupt. Whether true or not is another story I guess. I feel sorry for Tilly's kid; with them as parents, he doesn't seem to have much chance escaping a cycle of poverty & ignorance. Too bad his real dad didn't get initial custody. Maybe in real life he turns out OK, I certainly hope so.

IMHO, the series could have been edited to ~5 really tightly written episodes. I mean did we really have to watch the Tilly character hump an inmate in the back room every 15 min ? It certainly wasn't erotic!

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 02-10-2019 at 07:27 AM.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-07-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4439 Post(s)
Liked: 5769
I found this show late but have now seen it all, thanks to Showtime Anytime. I really enjoyed it. Patricia Arquette is a fine actress. Her performance as the credulous but sociopathic and manipulative Tilly Mitchell was a joy to behold. Paul Dano and Benicio Del Toro, as Tilly's paramours were terrific too.

The show's combination of humor, horror, and weirdness really appealed to me. The two cons were bad dudes, to say the least. Highly recommended, 9 Stars out of 10!

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page