29Likes

post #1 of 85 Old 01-04-2019, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked: 2455
Batwoman on The CW

‘Batwoman’ Starring Ruby Rose Gets Pilot Pickup At the CW; David Nutter To Direct

by Nellie Andreeva

January 3, 2019 10:30am

The CW has given a pilot order to Batwoman, its groundbreaking DC drama project starring Ruby Rose. David Nutter (Game of Thrones, Arrow, The Flash) has been tapped to direct the pilot in consideration for next season.

Based on its name recognition and pedigree, the project from Greg Berlanti’s Berlanti Productions, Warner Bros. Television and writer Caroline Dries emerged as an early standout immediately after the CW unveiled its development on the heels of announcing the Batwoman character’s appearance in the annual Arrow-verse crossover at the May upfronts. The project’s profile got even bigger once Orange Is the New Black‘s Ruby Rose was cast as Batwoman this past summer.

When Dries’ script came in strong last month, an early pilot pickup was considered imminent. By bringing in seasoned pilot director Nutter, the CW, Berlanti Prods. and WBTV are looking to replicate the success of the net
work’s flagship series, The Flash, which also shot a Nutter-helmed standalone pilot in addition to the title character appearing on existing CW DC series (at the time, there was just one, Arrow).

Batwoman marks the first gay lead character — male or female — of a live-action superhero series. In the CW’s drama based on the DC characters, she’s armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, Kate Kane (Rose) soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city’s criminal resurgence. But don’t call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham’s symbol of hope.

Dries executive produces the Batwoman pilot alongside Nutter, Berlanti Prods.’ Berlanti and Sarah Schechter as well as former DC Entertainment president Geoff Johns via his new Mad Ghost Productions banner.
The CW’s DC crossover will re-air on the network starting next Monday.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/batwoma...ti-1202528625/
Zookster likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 01-04-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 85
The Elseworlds crossover was completely bonkers in a good way. I had a blast with it, mostly because of the character interactions and the fun easter eggs (the plot itself was mostly forgettable). Batwoman's appearance was a highlight, so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

David Forbes

My theater
post #3 of 85 Old 01-04-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
"an out lesbian" ... gee, that's a surprise.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 85 Old 01-04-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
pass!!!
RobertR and sparky7 like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #5 of 85 Old 01-04-2019, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4812 Post(s)
Liked: 6454
Geezus, no.
post #6 of 85 Old 01-04-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 1803
I'll definitely check this out, though from what little we saw of Batwoman in Elseworlds, I didn't get a good feel for her character, which left me feeling a bit meh. She certainly wasn't as engaging as the character Ruby Rose played in Orange Is the New Black. Hopefully a proper pilot intro will show she's compelling enough to carry an entire show (along with whatever sidekicks and supporting characters are introduced).

That her character is a lesbian is by no means a surprise; this was announced some time ago.
post #7 of 85 Old 01-04-2019, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I thought they were casting a Jamaican little person in the title roll ?

Just kidding,

...but I am still not used to changes made to other comic book characters.

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #8 of 85 Old 01-06-2019, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I'd love this if it wasn't another Berlanti show. They've become unwatchable. My family really used to look forward to watching Supergirl and The Flash, but both shows had just god-awful plots last year. Even my 15 year old daughter, who loves Supergirl and has her posters on her wall, couldn't take another episode after last season's finale. We never made it past the first episode of Legends. Arrow I think we bailed around season 3 or 4.

It's really too bad. I'd love to see a Batwoman show from the folks who do Gotham, instead of their head-scratching Alfred prequel. Even with the same actress. I just want better writers and story arcs than the crowd on the CW shows ever produce.
mike1812 likes this.
post #9 of 85 Old 01-07-2019, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked: 3338
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post
I'd love this if it wasn't another Berlanti show. They've become unwatchable. My family really used to look forward to watching Supergirl and The Flash, but both shows had just god-awful plots last year. Even my 15 year old daughter, who loves Supergirl and has her posters on her wall, couldn't take another episode after last season's finale. We never made it past the first episode of Legends. Arrow I think we bailed around season 3 or 4.
I can't begrudge you for giving up on it after Season 3 (which was indeed terrible), but Supergirl actually rebounded quite a bit in Season 4. The new storyline is pretty interesting.

Legends of Tomorrow took a while to find its footing, but the show got retooled a few times since the premiere (half the original cast got dropped and replaced with new characters) and eventually landed on being an outright comedy. Once the writers settled on that, it's really very fun these days.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #10 of 85 Old 01-07-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree about Supergirl. Season 4 is much more watchable. The Reign storyline was dragged out much too long, so it remains to be seen if Agent Liberty suffers a similar fate, but so far so good.
post #11 of 85 Old 02-08-2019, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

‘Batwoman’ Finds Its Villain: Rachel Skarsten To Star In the CW’s DC Pilot - https://deadline.com/2019/02/batwoma...se-1202552369/

post #12 of 85 Old 05-08-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 2172
post #13 of 85 Old 06-18-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Premiere dates have been set for CW shows this fall. Batwoman premieres back-to-back with Supergirl on Sunday nights, beginning October 6.
Here's the schedule from Deadline:

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 6

8:00-9:00 pm — BATWOMAN (Series Premiere)
9:00-10:00 pm — SUPERGIRL (Season Premiere)

MONDAY, OCTOBER 7

8:00-9:00 pm — ALL AMERICAN (Season Premiere)
9:00-10:00 pm — BATWOMAN (Encore of Series Premiere)

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 8

8:00-9:00 pm — THE FLASH (Season Premiere)
9:00-10:00 pm — BATWOMAN (2nd Encore of Series Premiere)

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 9

8:00-9:00 pm — RIVERDALE (Season Premiere)
9:00-10:00 pm — NANCY DREW (Series Premiere)

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 10

8:00-9:00 pm — SUPERNATURAL (Season Premiere)
9:00-10:00 pm — LEGACIES (Season Premiere)

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 11

8:00-9:00 pm — CHARMED (Season Premiere)
9:00-10:00 pm — DYNASTY (Season Premiere)

MONDAY, OCTOBER 14

8:00-9:00 pm — ALL AMERICAN (Original Episode)
9:00-10:00 pm — NANCY DREW (Encore of Series Premiere)

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 15

8:00-9:00 pm — THE FLASH (Original Episode)
9:00-10:00 pm — ARROW (Season Premiere)

MONDAY, OCTOBER 21

8:00-9:00 pm — ALL AMERICAN (Original Episode)
9:00-10:00 pm — BLACK LIGHTNING (Season Premiere)
post #14 of 85 Old 10-07-2019, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thought it was just OK, she really came across as not being that great of a fighter and was getting beat a lot. The Batwoman suit was a little lackluster too. Need a better look at it.

post #15 of 85 Old 10-07-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Boy, they didn’t waste time with the villain reveal, huh?

I thought it was okay, too. It didn’t blow me away, but entertaining. She’s going to get her own suit. The headgear on this one made it look like she was wearing an egg on her head.
post #16 of 85 Old 10-07-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Thought it was just OK, she really came across as not being that great of a fighter and was getting beat a lot. The Batwoman suit was a little lackluster too. Need a better look at it.
I took it that she got beat up because she didn't finish her training and is still kind of inexperienced. The costume was clearly not final, since it doesn't have the red wig that has been part of all the promo material for the show. I expect that the final costume will be what she wore in last season's Elseworlds crossover.

Is "Luke Fox" supposed to be a young Lucius Fox, or Lucius' grandson or something? I felt that needed to be clearer.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #17 of 85 Old 10-07-2019, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 831
I wrote off all of the other CW superhero shows this season however I added a series recording for the show. Didn't find it all that entertaining however the vibe was somewhat close to Gotham which I had stuck with the longest... gave up early last season. I'm guessing about halfway through the season I'll get bored enough to drop it.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #18 of 85 Old 10-07-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I felt much the same as I did during Batwoman's introduction in the Elseworlds crossover last season: meh.

As tiresome and annoying as the various leads, supporting characters, and villains across all the Arrowverse shows can be at times, one thing you can generally say about them is that they are well cast. I'm just not feeling that way with Batwoman yet, starting with the lead. And her villain sister was one of the weakest villains I've seen in one of these shows. She has daddy issues, dresses as Alice in Wonderland, her minions wear creepy animal masks, and she throws butterfly knives? Just not exactly what I would consider compelling.

I think it would've been better if they kicked off the season with a double-episode pilot to allow more time to develop the characters and build the world a bit more. I'll stick with it at least through this season's crossover event.

As far as Batwoman's fighting, I didn't have a problem with that. She was one woman fighting a half-dozen larger men without a protective suit, weapons, or gadgets. And she was only finally defeated by being clubbed from behind over the head.
post #19 of 85 Old 10-07-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Is "Luke Fox" supposed to be a young Lucius Fox, or Lucius' grandson or something? I felt that needed to be clearer.
He’s definitely a descendant. Don’t remember if it’s son or grandson.
post #20 of 85 Old 10-07-2019, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 652
I was pleasantly surprised with this show. Maybe it was the negative buzz in advance... but I thought it was a good start. Typically slow for a pilot... but good anyway. I'm expecting a time jump at some point to line up with the other CW DC shows, but otherwise looking forward to seeing how this develops. Also the bonus that I have little comic familiarity with this modern Batwoman so this TV show can surprise me in ways the other CW DC shows really can't.
post #21 of 85 Old 10-08-2019, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I felt much the same as I did during Batwoman's introduction in the Elseworlds crossover last season: meh.

As tiresome and annoying as the various leads, supporting characters, and villains across all the Arrowverse shows can be at times, one thing you can generally say about them is that they are well cast. I'm just not feeling that way with Batwoman yet, starting with the lead. And her villain sister was one of the weakest villains I've seen in one of these shows. She has daddy issues, dresses as Alice in Wonderland, her minions wear creepy animal masks, and she throws butterfly knives? Just not exactly what I would consider compelling.

I think it would've been better if they kicked off the season with a double-episode pilot to allow more time to develop the characters and build the world a bit more. I'll stick with it at least through this season's crossover event.

As far as Batwoman's fighting, I didn't have a problem with that. She was one woman fighting a half-dozen larger men without a protective suit, weapons, or gadgets. And she was only finally defeated by being clubbed from behind over the head.
Yeah I get that, but she was beaten by that hench woman who has like zero fighting experience. Batwoman was being punched, she didn't know how to block. It was just very strange, especially considering the opponent she was up against. Batwoman is supposed to be this highly trained close combat fighter but she came across soooooo amateurish in that fight.

Watch the fight again. You'll see what I mean - it didn't look like she had any fighting experience - just a woman in a suit trying to look badass.
replayrob likes this.

Last edited by Stephan Mire; 10-08-2019 at 03:53 AM.
post #22 of 85 Old 10-08-2019, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
But she did have a protective suit. She had the suit batman himself wore just modified to her body. But as pointed out already, it just felt like she didn't know how to fight.

post #23 of 85 Old 10-08-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Mire View Post
Yeah I get that, but she was beaten by that hench woman who has like zero fighting experience. Batwoman was being punched, she didn't know how to block. It was just very strange, especially considering the opponent she was up against. Batwoman is supposed to be this highly trained close combat fighter but she came across soooooo amateurish in that fight.

Watch the fight again. You'll see what I mean - it didn't look like she had any fighting experience - just a woman in a suit trying to look badass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
But she did have a protective suit. She had the suit batman himself wore just modified to her body. But as pointed out already, it just felt like she didn't know how to fight.
In my earlier comment, I was talking about the fight scene at the abandoned orphanage where she took on a half-dozen larger men, some with weapons, without any suit. I just watched it again and honestly don't see how she could've done any better. Yes, I grant that her fight against Alice in the suit looked a bit weak, but perhaps that can be attributed to her not being used to moving in the suit combined with any special training Alice had that we don't know about.
WilliamR and HDMe2 like this.
post #24 of 85 Old 10-08-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
I'm expecting a time jump at some point to line up with the other CW DC shows,
I think it already does line up, or close to it. The pilot episode tells us that Batman has been missing for three years, which is the same thing said when Flash and Arrow met Batwoman during the Elseworlds crossover. This may take place slightly before that (because Batwoman was already active and had a final costume in Elseworlds), maybe a few months, but it can't be more than a year before.

Josh Z

post #25 of 85 Old 10-08-2019, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Pilot show--I am impressed by the money given for the sets and their construction. I thought this area was well done. Also-the city exteriors were Chicago. I thought this fit in since the recent Batman movies were also shot in Chicago.

But--I didn't care for the story line at all. I'll watch two more episodes to see if things change. If not, I'm done with it.

Just my opinion.
post #26 of 85 Old 10-08-2019, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In my earlier comment, I was talking about the fight scene at the abandoned orphanage where she took on a half-dozen larger men, some with weapons, without any suit. I just watched it again and honestly don't see how she could've done any better. Yes, I grant that her fight against Alice in the suit looked a bit weak, but perhaps that can be attributed to her not being used to moving in the suit combined with any special training Alice had that we don't know about.
Gotcha, I can buy that. Looking forward to a few more episodes to see how this goes.
Zookster likes this.

post #27 of 85 Old 10-09-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Liked: 1783
Quote:
In my earlier comment, I was talking about the fight scene at the abandoned orphanage where she took on a half-dozen larger men, some with weapons, without any suit. I just watched it again and honestly don't see how she could've done any better.
Have you seen Hanna?

That girl is 16yo and she absolutely kicks a$$... this Batwoman would last 20 seconds against Hanna if even that long.

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."
post #28 of 85 Old 10-09-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Have you seen Hanna?

That girl is 16yo and she absolutely kicks a$$... this Batwoman would last 20 seconds against Hanna if even that long.
Not to fall on my sword defending Batwoman's fighting, as I honestly don't care that much, but yes, if you want to look at female fighters across the history of television and film, Batwoman is not the best non-superpowered fighter we've ever seen. Though at some point, you have to take into account a show's budget and filming schedule. So, for example, you would tend to get better fighting sequences (and fighters) in Netflix's Marvel shows than in the CW Arrowverse shows.
allargon likes this.
post #29 of 85 Old 10-09-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Have you seen Hanna?
Who is Hanna?

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #30 of 85 Old 10-09-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Who is Hanna?
From a TV show on Amazon Prime, which probably spent more to create Hanna's eight first-season episodes than CW spends on a typical 20+ episode Arrowverse season.

replayrob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page