Survivor 38 Edge of Extinction on CBS HD - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 109Likes

post #151 of 192 Old 05-02-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Devens has shifted to a higher gear. If he can survive to the finals, he’s going to win. No one else has played as good a game as him. He came across a bit arrogant this episode, but there’s no denying he’s head and shoulders above the rest. Lauren is physically strong but she has not made any major moves and has no allies. The two younger ones are so irrelevant, I don’t even remember their names. Julie is just useless. She’s definitely a goat. A passenger on the plane who poses no threat.
Ben23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 192 Old 05-02-2019, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Haven't been digging this season but this episode was great. Deven did do a great play by calling out the other two that tried to back stab him.
shivaji and Ben23 like this.
post #153 of 192 Old 05-03-2019, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Before tribal I was so worried that he was going to try to play the expired advantage from Ron, but then it dawned on me, "wait, even if he does, and Jeff tells him it's expired, he should still be able to use the other one, RIGHT?" Then, the way he played it, being kinda fake mad and upset before pulling out the legit idol, that was just gold. Made for some good TV. I was pulling for him before. Now there is no doubt because he seems like a legit, decent dude. I like his personality and sense of humor.

Also, the way he got his idol was fantastic. Busting his butt searching to find the clue, then waiting until the middle of the night to climb the tree, undetected...I was cheering for him at that point and so nervous he was going to get caught. Also, I don't know if they planned this shot, but the way he was just lying there and opened his eyes when he clearly wasn't asleep before climbing the tree was pretty cinematic for a "reality" show.
shivaji likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 192 Old 05-03-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I still don’t get why they all don’t go out and try to find the hidden idol and they fault the ones that do. I know they are all tired and hungry but there is a lot of downtime. Go out and look around. Aurora especially. She’s been on shaky ground the whole time.

And good observation on the Devens waking up scene. I guess they are all used to a cameraman filming them sleeping that it didn’t seem weird that he was moving around while Devens was climbing the tree.
Ben23 likes this.
post #155 of 192 Old 05-03-2019, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Tbh, and imo, Devon to me is just another bump on a log. He hasn't done anything particularly stand-out. He was first out at the last challenge. The entire remainder of the tribe made it evident he was on the outs so there was nothing strategic he had to hustle up to survive. He got an advantage to an idol (I don't even remember how that miracle transcribed) and grabbed it. He played it and had a ha ha moment. Big deal. I didn't see it as the surprise touché move that outwitted anyone. It was predicted by the tribe and the viewer.

So far this season has been nothing more than vote out anyone that stands out and now we remain with sticks in the mud, none of which have displayed anything interesting so far, who are whittling each other down ultimately vying for million dollar worthiness. I do hope some of the interesting players on extinction island make it back into the game so somebody with merit has a another chance to outwit, outlast, and outplay.
Hughmc likes this.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #156 of 192 Old 05-03-2019, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2869 Post(s)
Liked: 3693
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Tbh, and imo, Devon to me is just another bump on a log. He hasn't done anything particularly stand-out. He was first out at the last challenge. The entire remainder of the tribe made it evident he was on the outs so there was nothing strategic he had to hustle up to survive. He got an advantage to an idol (I don't even remember how that miracle transcribed) and grabbed it. He played it and had a ha ha moment. Big deal. I didn't see it as the surprise touché move that outwitted anyone. It was predicted by the tribe and the viewer.

So far this season has been nothing more than vote out anyone that stands out and now we remain with sticks in the mud, none of which have displayed anything interesting so far, who are whittling each other down ultimately vying for million dollar worthiness. I do hope some of the interesting players on extinction island make it back into the game so somebody with merit has a another chance to outwit, outlast, and outplay.
Yes ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #157 of 192 Old 05-03-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
tbh, and imo, devon to me is just another bump on a log. He hasn't done anything particularly stand-out. He was first out at the last challenge. The entire remainder of the tribe made it evident he was on the outs so there was nothing strategic he had to hustle up to survive. He got an advantage to an idol (i don't even remember how that miracle transcribed) and grabbed it. He played it and had a ha ha moment. Big deal. I didn't see it as the surprise touché move that outwitted anyone. It was predicted by the tribe and the viewer.

100%
post #158 of 192 Old 05-03-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:

Fair. I just dig his personality, and it was a nice underdog moment. This also speaks to just how ineffective extinction island has been as an entertainment device. It's like a black hole over there. All they ever show is someone's initial arrival and Reem verbally berating them somehow. There are way more interesting characters over there now than on the main set.
shivaji likes this.
post #159 of 192 Old 05-03-2019, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
This also speaks to just how ineffective extinction island has been as an entertainment device. It's like a black hole over there. All they ever show is someone's initial arrival and Reem verbally berating them somehow. There are way more interesting characters over there now than on the main set.
Exactly on all three points ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #160 of 192 Old 05-08-2019, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
Fair. I just dig his personality, and it was a nice underdog moment. This also speaks to just how ineffective extinction island has been as an entertainment device. It's like a black hole over there. All they ever show is someone's initial arrival and Reem verbally berating them somehow. There are way more interesting characters over there now than on the main set.
Mentioned the same thing to my wife... for a season that is based around/named after the Extinction Island premise, they sure don't seem to be showing a lot of it. I really don't understand what it adds to the season.
Ben23 likes this.
post #161 of 192 Old 05-08-2019, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post
Mentioned the same thing to my wife... for a season that is based around/named after the Extinction Island premise, they sure don't seem to be showing a lot of it. I really don't understand what it adds to the season.
It's not added anything, IMO .. I continue to remain hopeful that very soon, we will be treated to Extinction Island Fireworks .. surely the Producers had some big twist planned .. otherwise, why bother .. ??

Uncle Willie

post #162 of 192 Old 05-08-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It would be funny if there were equal numbers of people on the regular tribe and EI and they were paired up 1v1 against each other to compete in a challenge and the winners from each pairing got to stay and the losers were finally eliminated. That would shake things up.

[Edit] Ok, that’s not going to work. I just checked and there are 6 regulars and 10 EI. They could still have a preliminary challenge for the EI folks to whittle it down to 6 and then have them face off against the regulars.
JoeNc likes this.

Last edited by hooked01; 05-08-2019 at 12:54 PM.
post #163 of 192 Old 05-09-2019, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2192
Like him or not, Devan is playing one heck of a game. He deserves to win if he makes it to the end. However, after 5 no more idols, etc. so the only way he gets to the final 3 is winning the immunity idol himself. It is usually a challenge like standing as long as you can, etc. and he hasn't done to well with those so his odds look slim.

And what is up with Lauren's bathing suit bottom! Wow, that girl is looking really good.
shivaji likes this.

post #164 of 192 Old 05-09-2019, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 717
I think they decided to get rid of Aurora before TC, they just made it look like Deven made it happen. With that said, if he gets to the end I feel he has played the best and deserves the win.
shivaji likes this.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #165 of 192 Old 05-09-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post
I think they decided to get rid of Aurora before TC, they just made it look like Deven made it happen. With that said, if he gets to the end I feel he has played the best and deserves the win.
If Deven gets to the end, at least 3 people screwed up.

I mean, they all need to know they have to get him out, right? Even Julia....
post #166 of 192 Old 05-09-2019, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
If Deven gets to the end, at least 3 people screwed up.

I mean, they all need to know they have to get him out, right? Even Julia....

They have shown that they already know, but he can win immunity all the way.

post #167 of 192 Old 05-09-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They have shown that they already know, but he can win immunity all the way.
Perhaps it's a ruse, but he has shown zero endurance during challenges so far....
post #168 of 192 Old 05-09-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know this might be slightly off topic, but I ordered this today. I am so excited, I had to share.

John dhein and Ben23 like this.

post #169 of 192 Old 05-10-2019, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 330
If memory serves me right, Devon still has an immunity idol... correct? Didn't he flash it before the votes claiming it was for Julia but then held onto it and didn't put it into play?

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #170 of 192 Old 05-10-2019, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2192
Quote:
If memory serves me right, Devon still has an immunity idol... correct? Didn't he flash it before the votes claiming it was for Julia but then held onto it and didn't put it into play?
Yes, and the next vote is the last time he can use it. So he is safe one more time. After that, no more immunity idols or secret advantages.
Ben23 likes this.

post #171 of 192 Old 05-13-2019, 04:45 AM

Quote:
I know this might be slightly off topic, but I ordered this today. I am so excited, I had to share.

Nice! A couple weeks ago an SVP was in town visiting from Amsterdam. We were in a meeting together, and I was about 20 ft from him. As is normal, any time I see a watch I try to make out what it is. I was leaning towards his being a Navitimer due to the bracelet and size, but it was hard to be sure from that distance. I actually bumped into him on the way out of the building and asked him "Is that a Navitimer?" gesturing with my eyes to his wrist. It threw him off-guard a little bit. I think he was about to say no but caught himself, and he said yes, actually. I said something like, cool, I've never seen one in "real life" before. He said something about how it really isn't that expensive. I said, well, "it depends on who you ask, but sure, it's not a Patek or anything." He said, "right." I said, "have a good night" and walked to the garage. I think he was waiting on an Uber or something. Nice to know he's a fellow "watch guy" if our paths cross again.

Sorry to further distract from Survivor.

Survivor! Extinction Island is obviously going to be part of the next show (finally). I still think it was grossly underutilized.

Devens is still my guy in the main group. He's pretty much the sole source of entertainment left on the show (and I'm going to avoid any misogynistic comments here as best I can, but I too am enjoying the sight of a certain cast member from time to time).
post #172 of 192 Old 05-14-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
It would be funny if there were equal numbers of people on the regular tribe and EI and they were paired up 1v1 against each other to compete in a challenge and the winners from each pairing got to stay and the losers were finally eliminated. That would shake things up.

[Edit] Ok, that’s not going to work. I just checked and there are 6 regulars and 10 EI. They could still have a preliminary challenge for the EI folks to whittle it down to 6 and then have them face off against the regulars.
I'm still hoping for a no-holds-barred, Battle Royale for all the folks left on EI. Last wo/man standing gets back in the game!
post #173 of 192 Old 05-15-2019, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Devens playing that brilliantly and not winning is depressing. Julie getting zero votes was so obvious, ended up being a great season with some amazing game play. Its just a bummer the best player didn't win. Chris going after Devens was the right move, I kinda had a feeling it was going to go down that way.
curtlots, shivaji and MeatChicken like this.

post #174 of 192 Old 05-16-2019, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Devens is the master! Too bad he didn’t win. Chris made the right decision challenging him to make fire. If they were both in the final 3, Devens would have won, and he had no confidence that the other two could beat Devens. Big risk and big reward. Chris earned that million for sure.

Unless Devens parlays his 15 minutes of fame into a more lucrative gig, he will be invited back for sure. Hiding two fake idols and setting it up that all 5 players felt safe from tribal is hilarious! How dumb were those two who found them. There’s never more than one hidden idol at a time in play.

And I don’t think it was fair for Chris to be given an idol just like that. Sure, he had to give half away but still. Maybe he should have been given a clue to find one, but that wasn’t fair to the other 5 who’ve been battling the whole time. Devens let emotions ruin his game. If he had refused to give back the half, Chris would have been gone, but he felt bad that he sent Chris to EI.

What do you think of Boston Rob and Sandra coming back for next season. I think it’s going to be a dud like Extinction Island was. EI didn’t add much to this season.
shivaji and Ben23 like this.
post #175 of 192 Old 05-16-2019, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Chris made the absolute most of the limited time he had after re-entering the Game .. I personally cannot think of any single bigger move in the History of the show ..

Devens, had he made it to final, had a good resume, yet the real threat was his ability to talk .. being a News Anchor, I think, gave him a bit of an advantage .. and, he did pick up 100K plus the 4th place money ..

After the Fire Challenge, I said to myself "Just go ahead and give Chris the money .." .. it was not just his play at the end, but, he had all that time at E.I. to cultivate the Jury ..

For me, the whole season was pretty mediocre
shivaji likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #176 of 192 Old 05-16-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope they do away with the whole EI idea. Allowing players to spend large amounts of time with the jury, POST-elimination is not fair to those who don't get the same advantage.

For me, I would LOVE to see them go back to first season rules. Just to shake up those that anticipate the standard "twists". Imagine a season with no tribe swaps. And a 2-person finale.
MikeKlim likes this.
post #177 of 192 Old 05-16-2019, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Well, over the years, the Producers have tried various new formats / twists / etc .. I would doubt we'll see E.I. again anytime in the near future .. I thought it was a stupid idea from the get go .. and the Jury ending up being any and all that stuck it out at E.I. .. ?? I mean, all these people have to do is lay around and talk ..

This New Mentor idea .. ?? Boston Rob and Sandra giving out "lessons" on how to play .. ?? Call me skeptical .. seems like just another way to drag back Old Players and attempt a ratings bump based on the Novelty ..

What happens when somebody gets the Boot .. ?? Boston Rob and Sandra say "Well, if they had just done what we told them to do, they would still be in it .."

Now, if FBI Agent Phillip and Coach were the Mentors, that might get interesting ..
scottiemon, JoeNc and Ben23 like this.

Uncle Willie

post #178 of 192 Old 05-16-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I didn't want to see Sandra back in any form, but oh well, I don't always get what I want. I don't mind Rob, but as a mentor, whatever.

post #179 of 192 Old 05-16-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Personally I didn't feel anyone who spent a significant amount of time on Exile should win. Being able to rest, not stress about tribals and who has idols, and getting to form bonds with the entire jury amounts to too much of an advantage. But I don't make the rules. Everyone who stuck it out on Exile did it because they believed they could win, so they weren't going to hold it against the one person who made it back. And mostly I feel the final vote was a sign of how little they thought of the game play of Gavin and Julie. Chris built more of a resume in a few days then the two of them combined did in 39.
mgkdragn and Ben23 like this.
post #180 of 192 Old 05-16-2019, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrown13 View Post
Everyone who stuck it out on Exile did it because they believed they could win, so they weren't going to hold it against the one person who made it back. And mostly I feel the final vote was a sign of how little they thought of the game play of Gavin and Julie. Chris built more of a resume in a few days then the two of them combined did in 39.
Being on E.I. for the length of time Chris was, probably helped him quite a bit .. "He's one of Us, and he made it to Final" ..
djbrown13 and Ben23 like this.

Uncle Willie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page