AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2019 PGA in HD and 4K

27K views 1K replies 36 participants last post by  DrDon 
#1 · (Edited)
2020 PGA in HD and 4K

Time to name this the 2019 thread.:)

Here is a link to the 2018 thread for reference.

The delightful Philip Mickelson almost won the Desert Classic.

Never heard of Adam Long and show's you the depth of golfers around the world.

31 years old and only his 6th PGA start.

Toughest sport to win in.;)

#2 ·
the biggest storyline of 2019: will Brooks Koepka be able to continue his amazing play...in 2018 Koepka won the PGA Player of the Year and Tour Player of the Year...how many more majors for Brooks in 2019...second biggest storyline of 2019: will Rory and Spieth be able to rebound from a poor 2018...the golf world is buzzing about Brooks, Rory and Spieth

#30 ·
#10 ·
One of my good friends, UCI alum John Chin, finally earned his PGA tour card by birdieing the final hole in last year's final Web.com event to move into the top 25 on the money list. It's been a long journey for a guy that was the county's POY 3 years in HS and then Big West POY 3 times and All American twice. He also finished runner up in the 2008 US Public Links where the winner goes to the Masters. It's been a long time coming and I'm excited to get out to Torrey and watch him for the first time on tour. Not his first PGA event but the first time I'll be seeing him play in person on THE tour.

#12 ·
Early 70's my friends and I played Torrey Pines many times and we always played the South course because it was the toughest side. Years later after golf's technology revolution the difference what the ball has done to change the course is really different. Example no# 12 always played into a ocean breeze and was an instant bogey and always hit a fairway wood for a second shot and most times came up short of the green. And my friends are no short knocks. No#18 didn't have a lake and was always a fairway wood for a second shot. The ball and not so much the clubs really shorten the courses not for the better but yes for the fan. When I watch this tournament I know how putts break for each green and is quite amusing.:)

Tiger owns this course look up his history. Three world juniors.:eek:

#17 ·
Oh really? And what PGA or Champions' Tour tournaments have you played in? I've volunteered at the Wells Fargo (formerly Wachovia, formerly First Union) here in Charlotte. Pretty sure I haven't seen you in the field. Please, enlighten us on your accomplishments. How long have you had your PGA card? I'm sure it will make a fascinating read. :)

#19 ·
in 2018 Tiger had the perfect storm of events happen- he was healthy, playing well AND most of the top players in the world weren't playing well- Spieth, DJ, Rory etc...if he couldn't win a major during that perfect storm then I don't see it happening in 2019...can he really expect everyone else to play as bad as they did last year again?...plus can Tiger stay healthy?...Tiger at this years Pebble Beach US Open does worry me but I think it's getting too much hype so someone else will step up and Tiger has shown that he doesn't have that same aura of invincibility on Tour anymore

#20 ·
Well that escalated quickly. LOL I was planning on heading out tomorrow to follow John, but a +5 77 today has dropped him to the bottom of the leaderboard. My other local favorite that I played a few rounds with when he was in HS, Rickie Fowler, has also sunk to the bottom of the leaderboard. LOL Maybe I'll just watch the Pro Bowl and relax tomorrow.

#21 ·
You really should go watch your friend John Chin play the very difficult south course.

I'm sure he would tell you the same thing about South Torrey Pines.

And we see why Justin Rose is No#1 in the world. Some of those shots he hit Saturday are of the charts.:eek:

The only thing I could do better is caddie for him like Archie would do for me.:p

#22 ·
The only thing I could do better is caddie for him like Archie would do for me.:p
I actually did caddie for a couple of PGA pros once, in the now defunct World Open on Pinehurst #2 , back when I had just graduated from high school. One guy was a "rabbit" on Monday, shot 76 and didn't qualify. The second was an Aussie named Robert Shearer who won the European Tour Order of Merit (their money list) that year. He could definintely play, but missed the cut that week.

He did not ask me to read any putts for him. :p He kept all his own yardages. I handed him the club he asked for, kept 'em clean, held the flag, raked the bunkers, kept up and kept my mouth shut. He told me I did a great job. :D "We" played a practice round with Tom Weiskoph on Tuesday. He went into a spontaneous trick shot routine during his post round session on the practice tee just to entertain about 5 fans who were watching him, laughing, joking around. It was amazing. He showed a side of him I didn't know existed just from seeing how surly he was on TV. :p

Even though I was a three at the time, they play a game with which I was, and am, unfamiliar. 9 inch long divots with irons, wedge shots that only get about 12 feet off the ground but one bounce & spin back dead. Ridiculous short game skills. Crazy stuff. Nicklaus won that week, I think. Them dudes are, um, pretty good. :p

#23 · (Edited)
I caddied in a group where Dave Eichelberger was in and could that guy play.:eek:

Dave being from Waco I wonder if Waco Joe knows his game.:D

Rose misses putts on first two holes. Why "grain" Torrey Pines was the first golf course that I learned about grain.

Course knowledge Justin just might cost you the tournament.

#24 ·
Dave Eichelberger was one year ahead of me in high school and his dad was the D.A. I worked under as one of his assistant D.A.’s. He was so far better than all of us hackers in town it was pathetic, and while he won a few times on tour and on the Champions tour, he was still not in the top tier. Really fine fellow, btw. The worst golfers with a tour card were probably golf gods at home.

#25 · (Edited)
I know so many golfers that never reached there potential.

I know people that knew "Champagne Tony Lema" and said you never know who will hit it big on tour.

Just like in life a fine line but Dave Eichelberger had length and could hit the crap out of it.

Driving putting and building confidence. Between the ears the important one.;)

Drive for show putt for dough?

Top Tier? Could have been.:D

:D

#26 ·
I've grown to enjoy Phillip.;)

I've never liked him till a few years ago and he really doesn't care what others think. Great quality.:D

2018 US Open very bush league and what he did to Billy Walters well you decide but I like his sense of humor.:D

Tune in on Golf Channel at 9:00 AM to watch him win at Pebble.:p

#28 ·
FIGJAM, prior to Monday play, apologized for his Sunday sunset surliness. So he had that going for him. :D

5-time AT&T champs, FIGJAM and O'Meara.

There could be an old-timers (43 versus 49) shoot-out at June's Pebble Beach Open. Plenty of tickets available. :p

Fine major lineup this year. In addition to Awgustuh--Bethpage, Pebble, Portrush.

LA's featured Th. & Fr.: TW/Rory/JT; FIGJAM/Mr. X/Jordan.

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
#32 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.