Netflix series Kingdom a must-see even if you're not into zombie shows - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By iamian
  • 1 Post By dragonbud0
  • 1 Post By archiguy

post #1 of 17 Old 01-28-2019, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Netflix series Kingdom a must-see even if you're not into zombie shows

Quote:
I don't like zombie flicks.

But Netflix's new show Kingdom, a six-episode saga set in 15th-century Korea, had me hooked from the get-go.

Streaming globally Friday, Jan. 25, Kingdom is a wonderfully shot and scripted take on the zombie genre, one that feels like a period drama -- just with undead monsters as a bonus. The brilliance of the show is no surprise: the talents behind Kingdom include ace Korean director Kim Seong-hun of hit 2016 film Tunnel, and Kim Eun-hee, who wrote 2016's police procedural Signal, one of South Korea's highest-rated dramas.

Kim said she'd been working on the idea since 2011, but couldn't get it to air on Korean TV platforms because of the violence. Then Netflix came knocking, and the rest is TV history.

The premise of Kingdom is simple. In the beautiful Joseon period of 15th-century Korea, an ambitious minister wants to take over the throne. He keeps the ailing king alive with a mysterious medicine that also seems to have turned him into an undead monster ... that feeds on human flesh.
https://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-se...-zombie-shows/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-28-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked: 3743
I saw the trailer for this and it definitely caught my interest...zombie shows can feel very same-ey so it needs to be a unique story to capture my interest...this looks like it could be it
post #3 of 17 Old 01-28-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4540 Post(s)
Liked: 5954
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-28-2019, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4540 Post(s)
Liked: 5954
Looks pretty trippy. Some absolutely gorgeous shots film wise there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I saw the trailer for this and it definitely caught my interest...zombie shows can feel very same-ey so it needs to be a unique story to capture my interest...this looks like it could be it

You ever see Stakeland? Officially they're vampires I guess, but same premise as zombies. Not "typical".
post #5 of 17 Old 01-28-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
You ever see Stakeland? Officially they're vampires I guess, but same premise as zombies. Not "typical".
looks interesting...will add that to my Watchlist on Amazon Video
post #6 of 17 Old 01-28-2019, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I watched all six episodes last Saturday night, which is a binge watching record for me. Having said that, the first episode was a little difficult to get through, but I'm glad I hung in there. What made it difficult was the mandatory subtitles, and a bit of a slow start. About midway through the second episode, I was hooked. I've recommended this to several people since.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-28-2019, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Good news is it's picked up for another season, which starts filming in February through June or July.
curtlots likes this.

post #8 of 17 Old 02-08-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
I watched all six episodes last Saturday night, which is a binge watching record for me. Having said that, the first episode was a little difficult to get through, but I'm glad I hung in there. What made it difficult was the mandatory subtitles, and a bit of a slow start. About midway through the second episode, I was hooked. I've recommended this to several people since.
Friend of mine told me about this on Tuesday and I finished it today. Can't wait for the 2nd season to come. For fans of zombies and vampires, this one should be in your watch list.

IMDB also recommended Signal 2016 TV series with 16 episodes. It's about a murder mystery spans over 15 years, with 2 cops from 2000 and 2015 communicating the key facts over a walkie talkie type mobile device. I finished the first 2 today.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5332206/?ref_=rvi_tt
curtlots likes this.

Last edited by dragonbud0; 02-08-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: add more details
post #9 of 17 Old 02-08-2019, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
Friend of mine told me about this on Tuesday and I finished it today. Can't wait for the 2nd season to come. For fans of zombies and vampires, this one should be in your watch list.

IMDB also recommended Signal 2016 TV series with 16 episodes. It's about a murder mystery spans over 15 years, with 2 cops from 2000 and 2015 communicating the key facts over a walkie talkie type mobile device. I finished the first 2 today.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5332206/?ref_=rvi_tt
I'm really looking forward to the second season too. I didn't know there was going to be a second season, but with the way episode 6 ended, I did some googling and found out that a second season is planned.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-12-2019, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Well I liked it but it looks like it may be just a me time program as the rest of the family freaked out at the cannibalism scene and all left the room
I'm not really into zombie shows(well other than the old iZombie if you call that a Zombie show which I'm thinking true Zombie likers probably don't and the rest of my family could actually stomach(well they didn't really care for the brains in a blender parts) but that show had enough humor to keep them happy. This program is definitely dark but well done. Of course my daughter who likes to stream Korean TV shows commented this show would probably be the equivalent of a CW show in the US, very popular, not the type of Korean programs she streams
post #11 of 17 Old 02-18-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
I'm really looking forward to the second season too. I didn't know there was going to be a second season, but with the way episode 6 ended, I did some googling and found out that a second season is planned.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out.
I enjoyed Signal, and it even has a respectable ending for the time-shifting/travel genre. Onto a highly rated 2017 series called Stranger (Forest of Secrets) with Bae Doona again, about a forthright and aloof prosecutor teaming up with Doona as a professional cop.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-20-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
I enjoyed Signal, and it even has a respectable ending for the time-shifting/travel genre. Onto a highly rated 2017 series called Stranger (Forest of Secrets) with Bae Doona again, about a forthright and aloof prosecutor teaming up with Doona as a professional cop.
I recommend Matrimonial Chaos, which has Bae Doona as one of the 4 principal characters. And Stranger is getting a second season, which is rare in K-Drama.

post #13 of 17 Old 02-20-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post
I recommend Matrimonial Chaos, which has Bae Doona as one of the 4 principal characters. And Stranger is getting a second season, which is rare in K-Drama.
Matrimonial Chaos is not for me despite the high rating but I'm glad that they are adding S2 to Stranger. I found the writer did an excellent job overall to keep me hooked, at least with the first 9 episodes (have not finished yet). It's definitely one of the best K-drama I've watched in this genre.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-12-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I started watching this...I'm only through the first 2 episodes but this is a bad-ass show...I really like it...part period piece, part martial arts, part zombie horror...really great take on the zombie genre...there's a great sense of style and cinematography...plus they seem to be showing the early stages of the outbreak and spread while also dealing with a potential cure...really good stuff
post #15 of 17 Old 07-13-2019, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5920 Post(s)
Liked: 6510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
...plus they seem to be showing the early stages of the outbreak and spread while also dealing with a potential cure...really good stuff
That already puts it in a different (and better, IMHO) category than 'The Walking Dead' and its current and future progeny.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

finished this up last night...overall it's an excellent show that brought some energy back into the zombie genre...the show is mostly a GoT type about rulers, kings, queens etc but with the added backdrop pf a growing zombie plague...set during Korea's Joseon period the setting really adds to the appeal...the costumes and cinematography are first rate...so many gorgeous shots with excellent use of lighting and color...Kingdom is in 4K but no HDR support...but the 4K alone looks really good...a lot of detail especially in the daytime shots...night shots look a bit soft but overall the show looks great

the characters are all very likable and interesting (the actress who plays the Queen is so pretty as is the one who plays Moo-Young's wife)...don't go into this expecting closure as the finale left open a lot of questions but luckily a second season was already ordered...with most TV series there's generally a feeling of too many episodes but with Kingdom it feels like 6 episodes is not enough...forget Walking Dead, this is the zombie show everyone should be watching
post #17 of 17 Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Season 2 may land around the fall of 2019.

https://www.monstersandcritics.com/s...-period-drama/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page