War of the Worlds on Epix - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 104 Old 01-30-2019, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,174
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2158 Post(s)
Liked: 2948
War of the Worlds on Epix

I hope the U.S. gets this. It says one of 50 markets. If not, perhaps it will be on like Hulu, etc. because I would really like to see something like this work.


‘Hereditary’ Star Gabriel Byrne and Others Cast in “War of the Worlds” Series from Canal+
By John Squires, BloodyDisgusting.com - Jan. 29, 2019

The classic H.G. Wells story “War of the Worlds” is headed to the small screen via BBC later this year, but it’s not the only adaptation of the story in the works. As reported by Deadline, a series adaptation is also on the way from Canal+, Fox Networks Group, AGC Television and Urban Myth Film, with Gabriel Byrne (Hereditary) set to lead the cast.

Byrne will star alongside Elizabeth McGovern (Downton Abbey), with Léa Drucker (Le Bureau Des Légendes), Natasha Little (Silent Witness), Daisy Edgar Jones (Cold Feet), Stéphane Caillard (Marseille), Adel Bencherif (The Prophet) and Guillaume Gouix (The Returned) also on board.

Set in contemporary Europe, the reimagining will follow the pockets of humanity left on earth following an apocalyptic extra-terrestrial strike.

Written and created by Howard Overman (Misfits), the eight episode series will be directed by Gilles Coulier (Cargo) and Richard Clark (Versailles).

“The series is due to debut later this year on Canal+ in France, and on Fox in more than 50 markets,” Deadline notes.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/354...-series-canal/
RUR likes this.

WilliamR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 104 Old 01-30-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 25,919
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5004 Post(s)
Liked: 3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Set in contemporary Europe, the reimagining will follow the pockets of humanity left on earth following an apocalyptic extra-terrestrial strike.
So... Falling Skies: Europe.
archiguy, Keenan, shivaji and 1 others like this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Josh Z is offline  
post #3 of 104 Old 01-30-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 25,919
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5004 Post(s)
Liked: 3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Nice to see a WotW set in its proper timeframe and I have high hopes.
Wouldn't the proper timeframe be late 1800s? The BBC is currently filming a miniseries adaptation set as a period piece.

The one this article is about is a competing production set in contemporary times.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Josh Z is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 104 Old 01-30-2019, 09:56 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander
 
RUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Beershorn
Posts: 3,145
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Wouldn't the proper timeframe be late 1800s? The BBC is currently filming a miniseries adaptation set as a period piece.

The one this article is about is a competing production set in contemporary times.
You're right, Josh. I'm confusing the OP article with Mammoth Screen's period piece mini-series, also forthcoming.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2019...s-in-the-cast/

The novel was published in 1898.
RUR is offline  
post #5 of 104 Old 01-30-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RayGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,095
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked: 3143
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I hope the U.S. gets this. It says one of 50 markets. If not, perhaps it will be on like Hulu, etc. because I would really like to see something like this work.


‘Hereditary’ Star Gabriel Byrne and Others Cast in “War of the Worlds” Series from Canal+
By John Squires, BloodyDisgusting.com - Jan. 29, 2019

The classic H.G. Wells story “War of the Worlds” is headed to the small screen via BBC later this year, but it’s not the only adaptation of the story in the works. As reported by Deadline, a series adaptation is also on the way from Canal+, Fox Networks Group, AGC Television and Urban Myth Film, with Gabriel Byrne (Hereditary) set to lead the cast.

Byrne will star alongside Elizabeth McGovern (Downton Abbey), with Léa Drucker (Le Bureau Des Légendes), Natasha Little (Silent Witness), Daisy Edgar Jones (Cold Feet), Stéphane Caillard (Marseille), Adel Bencherif (The Prophet) and Guillaume Gouix (The Returned) also on board.

Set in contemporary Europe, the reimagining will follow the pockets of humanity left on earth following an apocalyptic extra-terrestrial strike.

Written and created by Howard Overman (Misfits), the eight episode series will be directed by Gilles Coulier (Cargo) and Richard Clark (Versailles).

“The series is due to debut later this year on Canal+ in France, and on Fox in more than 50 markets,” Deadline notes.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/354...-series-canal/
What a misappropriation of the "War of the Worlds" name. There is no war, it's just another post-cataclysm storyline. Enough of this sort of Sci Fi. How about something new and fresh?
archiguy, Josh Z, Keenan and 1 others like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
RayGuy is offline  
post #6 of 104 Old 11-22-2019, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,174
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2158 Post(s)
Liked: 2948
From HOTP thread:


Epix to Premiere ‘War of the Worlds’ Series in February
By R. Thomas Umstead, Multichannel News - Nov. 21, 2019

Epix will unveil its version of HG Wells classic story War of The Worlds on Feb. 16, the network said Thursday.

The eight part series is a contemporary re-telling of the classic sci-fi tale in which an alien force comes to earth and wipes out all of mankind with the exception of a few pockets of humanity, said network officials.

War of the Worlds features an ensemble cast including Gabriel Byrne, Elizabeth McGovern, Léa Drucker, Natasha Little, Daisy Edgar Jones, Stéphane Caillard, Adel Bencherif and Guillaume Gouix.

The drama series is produced by Urban Myth Films, in partnership with CANAL+, Fox Networks Group (FNG) Europe & Africa and AGC Television, and executive produced by Howard Overman, Julian Murphy and Johnny Capps for Urban Myth Films.

“We at Epix are thrilled to be working with the teams at Urban Myth and Studiocanal to showcase Howard Overman’s masterful take on this classic story,” said network president Michael Wright in a statement. “We can’t wait to bring this cinematic and addictive series to our audience.”

https://www.multichannel.com/news/ep...eries-february
gibson61 likes this.

WilliamR is offline  
post #7 of 104 Old 11-22-2019, 10:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 277
I was always hoping for a War of the Worlds part 2' The Martins get their flu shot before coming then return for revenge. Would be epic.
archiguy and Mark12547 like this.
gibson61 is offline  
post #8 of 104 Old 11-23-2019, 06:15 AM
Moderator
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 22,824
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 15790
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
From HOTP thread:


Epix to Premiere ‘War of the Worlds’ Series in February
By R. Thomas Umstead, Multichannel News - Nov. 21, 2019

Epix will unveil its version of HG Wells classic story War of The Worlds on Feb. 16, the network said Thursday.

The eight part series is a contemporary re-telling of the classic sci-fi tale in which an alien force comes to earth and wipes out all of mankind with the exception of a few pockets of humanity, said network officials.

War of the Worlds features an ensemble cast including Gabriel Byrne, Elizabeth McGovern, Léa Drucker, Natasha Little, Daisy Edgar Jones, Stéphane Caillard, Adel Bencherif and Guillaume Gouix.

The drama series is produced by Urban Myth Films, in partnership with CANAL+, Fox Networks Group (FNG) Europe & Africa and AGC Television, and executive produced by Howard Overman, Julian Murphy and Johnny Capps for Urban Myth Films.

“We at Epix are thrilled to be working with the teams at Urban Myth and Studiocanal to showcase Howard Overman’s masterful take on this classic story,” said network president Michael Wright in a statement. “We can’t wait to bring this cinematic and addictive series to our audience.”

https://www.multichannel.com/news/ep...eries-february
https://www.multichannel.com/news/ep...eries-february

If a cannibal eats a clown, will it taste funny?
PooperScooper is offline  
post #9 of 104 Old 11-23-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 26,188
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6745 Post(s)
Liked: 7596
So... this series is basically a re-do of TNT's 'Falling Skies' or NBC's 'Colony' or any of bunches of others, except with a bigger budget and better special effects? I agree with the above sentiments that this post-alien-invasion-apolcayptic-suvivalist stuff is played out.

If they're going to appropriate HG Well's intellectual property for instant brand recognition in a cluttered TV landscape, how about showing, you know.. the actual war of the worlds...? That's the show I want to see.
Tack and gibson61 like this.

Last edited by archiguy; 11-23-2019 at 08:13 AM.
archiguy is online now  
post #10 of 104 Old 11-23-2019, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Al_the_xmtr_tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: West Seneca, NY
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Since this is a French co-production, it's practically a cinch that we'll have to endure CGI scene-after-scene of stuff like the Eiffel Tower and "Le Bullet Train" being digitally decimated--until Paris unleashes their surprise weapon on the alien baddies: sudden unexpected total surrender, which confuses the aliens, causing them all to commit suicide.

OTOH, maybe I've seen too many French flicks.

While they're at it, they might as well re-make The Day The Earth Stood Still again. Can't get any worse than the last one.
thehun likes this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
Al_the_xmtr_tech is online now  
post #11 of 104 Old 11-25-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 17,405
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2166
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson61 View Post
I was always hoping for a War of the Worlds part 2' The Martins get their flu shot before coming then return for revenge. Would be epic.
Don't you mean "Epix"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
Since this is a French co-production, it's practically a cinch that we'll have to endure CGI scene-after-scene of stuff like the Eiffel Tower and "Le Bullet Train" being digitally decimated--until Paris unleashes their surprise weapon on the alien baddies: sudden unexpected total surrender, which confuses the aliens, causing them all to commit suicide.

OTOH, maybe I've seen too many French flicks.

While they're at it, they might as well re-make The Day The Earth Stood Still again. Can't get any worse than the last one.
Maybe the aliens will be like snails - soft bodies in technology shells. All you have to do is throw salt on them to kill them, then laugh in a haughty way....
NetworkTV is online now  
post #12 of 104 Old 11-26-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 6,727
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
Previewed the first episode last night... very well done.. I don't think anyone will be disappointed, big budget is clearly evident.



FWIW- the first two episodes have already aired overseas, episode three airs Sunday.
Tack and WilliamR like this.

"Any year the Pats don't get to the SB is a good year"
replayrob is offline  
post #13 of 104 Old 11-26-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 6,727
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
Oh yes, this 1900's BBC period piece is actually titled "The War of the Worlds", the contemporary series by Fox is titled "War of the worlds".


Subtle difference, but it is what it is.
shivaji likes this.

"Any year the Pats don't get to the SB is a good year"
replayrob is offline  
post #14 of 104 Old 11-26-2019, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,174
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2158 Post(s)
Liked: 2948
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Previewed the first episode last night... very well done.. I don't think anyone will be disappointed, big budget is clearly evident.



FWIW- the first two episodes have already aired overseas, episode three airs Sunday.
Awesome, can't wait, really looking forward to this. Loved the movies, even the Tom Cruise one.

WilliamR is offline  
post #15 of 104 Old 11-27-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 6,727
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Awesome, can't wait, really looking forward to this. Loved the movies, even the Tom Cruise one.
Second episode was just as good!

"Any year the Pats don't get to the SB is a good year"
replayrob is offline  
post #16 of 104 Old 11-27-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 6,727
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
I'm sorry....I hope I'm not confusing anyone, just to be crystal clear... the two episodes I'm referring to above are from the BBC 1905 period piece "The War of the Worlds".
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2019...s-in-the-cast/

Two episodes have aired on the BBC so far w/the next episode to air this coming Sunday. You can view the official trailer on the above link.

Hopefully this will come to BBC America soon because it has been excellent so far!




Eight episodes of the contemporary French series by Canal +/Fox titled "War of the Worlds" (no "The" in the beginning of the title) have already aired in Europe. I tried watching the first episode but it was a strange mix of French/English language. Of course that will not be an issue when it airs officially on EPIX here in Feb.
archiguy likes this.

"Any year the Pats don't get to the SB is a good year"
replayrob is offline  
post #17 of 104 Old 11-27-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shivaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: So. California
Posts: 2,671
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
I saw the first two episodes of the period version. I thought it a well done BBC production, I liked it. So far, the newer one has not captured my interest.
archiguy and replayrob like this.
shivaji is offline  
post #18 of 104 Old 11-28-2019, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: KALIZUELA
Posts: 10,057
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I saw the first two episodes of the period version. I thought it a well done BBC production, I liked it. So far, the newer one has not captured my interest.
I'm watching the BBC version myself and I can't say I share your enthusiasm over it, I'm on the second episode as well. It's a mini series though with only 3 episodes right?
I've yet to catch the French[ Epix] version.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #19 of 104 Old 11-28-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 6,727
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
Not really sure if the BBC program is only 3 episodes, if so they have a lot to cover in the final episode.
It got really mediocre reviews on IMDb, so maybe I'm the only one who likes it?

"Any year the Pats don't get to the SB is a good year"
replayrob is offline  
post #20 of 104 Old 12-10-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: KALIZUELA
Posts: 10,057
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1389
Watching the French-British version now about half way through, it's pretty good and yes it's sort of a modern take on the classic novel but unlike the Spielberg movie .

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #21 of 104 Old 12-19-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: KALIZUELA
Posts: 10,057
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1389
Finished the Anglo-French version and it is ok overall with a nice twist at the end.Hopefully there will be a second season. The BBC version is 3 episodes only and frankly I couldn't even finish it it was so bad. Too bad it had a a good cast.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #22 of 104 Old 01-01-2020, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 8,625
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Finished the Anglo-French version and it is ok overall with a nice twist at the end.Hopefully there will be a second season.
When I saw the ending, I was pissed as I thought that it was a one and done over the 8 episodes. Now we have to wait for the next season in order to wrap up the cliffhangers. There hd better be a 2nd season.
Quote:
The BBC version is 3 episodes only and frankly I couldn't even finish it it was so bad. Too bad it had a a good cast.
I watched the BBC series before watching all of the French version. Yes, I bing watched both series in one overnight sitting. I did not think the BBC series was bad. Just really different.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
mrvideo is online now  
post #23 of 104 Old 01-01-2020, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 8,625
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Oh yes, this 1900's BBC period piece is actually titled "The War of the Worlds", the contemporary series by Fox is titled "War of the worlds".


Subtle difference, but it is what it is.
Does French even have a "The"?

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
mrvideo is online now  
post #24 of 104 Old 01-01-2020, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Does French even have a "The"?
Le, la, les. Articles in French aren't optional, either. Eg you don't say "kids!" You have to say "Les enfants!'
barth2 is offline  
post #25 of 104 Old 01-01-2020, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 8,625
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
A 10yr-old is an infant? I had forgotten about "Les."

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
mrvideo is online now  
post #26 of 104 Old 01-06-2020, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 17,405
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
A 10yr-old is an infant? I had forgotten about "Les."
Not infant - Enfant, which is derived from the latin word "Infans", which means "childish or foolish", which would be just as appropriate for teenagers - maybe more so...
shivaji likes this.
NetworkTV is online now  
post #27 of 104 Old 01-06-2020, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 8,625
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1380 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Ah, thanks. I thought that enfants was equal to infants. Now I know that it isn't.
Garrett Adams likes this.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
mrvideo is online now  
post #28 of 104 Old 01-08-2020, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,174
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2158 Post(s)
Liked: 2948
‘War Of The Worlds’: Fox Networks & Canal+ Drama Set For Season 2 Renewal Ahead Of U.S. & UK Premiere

EXCLUSIVE: Fox Networks Group and France’s Canal+ are set to renew their original drama War Of The Worlds for a second season.

Deadline understands that preparation is already well underway for Season 2, which is set to go into production in the UK in spring this year. Producer Urban Myth Films has also set up a company, named WOTW2, to house the production.

The modern-day reworking of H.G Wells’ classic story was created and written by Misfits scribe Howard Overman, who runs Studiocanal-backed Urban Myth with Johnny Caps and Julian Murphy. AGC Television also provided finance.

Starring Gabriel Byrne and Elizabeth McGovern, the eight-part first season aired in France last year and has launched on Fox in certain territories in Europe. It is yet to land on Fox in the UK or in the U.S., where it will premiere on Epix on February 16, 2020.

Set in contemporary Europe, and taking some inspiration from The Walking Dead, War Of The Worlds follows the pockets of humanity left on earth following an apocalyptic extra-terrestrial strike.

It is not to be confused with The War Of The Worlds, the BBC’s recent adaptation of the story set in Edwardian England, and starring Rafe Spall and Eleanor Tomlinson. The BBC version was made by Mammoth Screen.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/war-of-...-2-1202823319/

WilliamR is offline  
post #29 of 104 Old 01-08-2020, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 6,727
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
I warmed up to it by the end (which was a cliffhanger BTW). Glad it's getting a second season.

"Any year the Pats don't get to the SB is a good year"
replayrob is offline  
post #30 of 104 Old 01-08-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 26,188
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6745 Post(s)
Liked: 7596
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Not really sure if the BBC program is only 3 episodes, if so they have a lot to cover in the final episode.
It got really mediocre reviews on IMDb, so maybe I'm the only one who likes it?
Ummm, I hate to say it Rob, but, um... you might be.

There was just no coherent narrative structure there. Waaaay too much was left out. Characters came & went with seemingly no rhyme or reason, defying all the laws of probability. We had no idea what was happening in the rest of the world beyond that tiny corner of England. The special effects were nothing special. And the ending was... awful.

Sorry man. I wanted to like it. Just couldn't.
WilliamR likes this.
archiguy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off