• 2 Post By shivaji

post #1 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1986 Post(s)
Liked: 2496
War of the Worlds on Epix

I hope the U.S. gets this. It says one of 50 markets. If not, perhaps it will be on like Hulu, etc. because I would really like to see something like this work.

‘Hereditary’ Star Gabriel Byrne and Others Cast in “War of the Worlds” Series from Canal+
By John Squires, BloodyDisgusting.com - Jan. 29, 2019

The classic H.G. Wells story “War of the Worlds” is headed to the small screen via BBC later this year, but it’s not the only adaptation of the story in the works. As reported by Deadline, a series adaptation is also on the way from Canal+, Fox Networks Group, AGC Television and Urban Myth Film, with Gabriel Byrne (Hereditary) set to lead the cast.

Byrne will star alongside Elizabeth McGovern (Downton Abbey), with Léa Drucker (Le Bureau Des Légendes), Natasha Little (Silent Witness), Daisy Edgar Jones (Cold Feet), Stéphane Caillard (Marseille), Adel Bencherif (The Prophet) and Guillaume Gouix (The Returned) also on board.

Set in contemporary Europe, the reimagining will follow the pockets of humanity left on earth following an apocalyptic extra-terrestrial strike.

Written and created by Howard Overman (Misfits), the eight episode series will be directed by Gilles Coulier (Cargo) and Richard Clark (Versailles).

“The series is due to debut later this year on Canal+ in France, and on Fox in more than 50 markets,” Deadline notes.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/354...-series-canal/
RUR likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4454 Post(s)
Liked: 3381
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Set in contemporary Europe, the reimagining will follow the pockets of humanity left on earth following an apocalyptic extra-terrestrial strike.
So... Falling Skies: Europe.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4454 Post(s)
Liked: 3381
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post
Nice to see a WotW set in its proper timeframe and I have high hopes.
Wouldn't the proper timeframe be late 1800s? The BBC is currently filming a miniseries adaptation set as a period piece.

The one this article is about is a competing production set in contemporary times.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 10:56 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Wouldn't the proper timeframe be late 1800s? The BBC is currently filming a miniseries adaptation set as a period piece.

The one this article is about is a competing production set in contemporary times.
You're right, Josh. I'm confusing the OP article with Mammoth Screen's period piece mini-series, also forthcoming.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2019...s-in-the-cast/

The novel was published in 1898.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked: 2731
Quote:
I hope the U.S. gets this. It says one of 50 markets. If not, perhaps it will be on like Hulu, etc. because I would really like to see something like this work.

‘Hereditary’ Star Gabriel Byrne and Others Cast in “War of the Worlds” Series from Canal+
By John Squires, BloodyDisgusting.com - Jan. 29, 2019

The classic H.G. Wells story “War of the Worlds” is headed to the small screen via BBC later this year, but it’s not the only adaptation of the story in the works. As reported by Deadline, a series adaptation is also on the way from Canal+, Fox Networks Group, AGC Television and Urban Myth Film, with Gabriel Byrne (Hereditary) set to lead the cast.

Byrne will star alongside Elizabeth McGovern (Downton Abbey), with Léa Drucker (Le Bureau Des Légendes), Natasha Little (Silent Witness), Daisy Edgar Jones (Cold Feet), Stéphane Caillard (Marseille), Adel Bencherif (The Prophet) and Guillaume Gouix (The Returned) also on board.

Written and created by Howard Overman (Misfits), the eight episode series will be directed by Gilles Coulier (Cargo) and Richard Clark (Versailles).

“The series is due to debut later this year on Canal+ in France, and on Fox in more than 50 markets,” Deadline notes.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/354...-series-canal/
What a misappropriation of the "War of the Worlds" name. There is no war, it's just another post-cataclysm storyline. Enough of this sort of Sci Fi. How about something new and fresh?
archiguy, Keenan, Josh Z and 1 others like this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-22-2019, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

From HOTP thread:

Epix to Premiere ‘War of the Worlds’ Series in February
By R. Thomas Umstead, Multichannel News - Nov. 21, 2019

Epix will unveil its version of HG Wells classic story War of The Worlds on Feb. 16, the network said Thursday.

The eight part series is a contemporary re-telling of the classic sci-fi tale in which an alien force comes to earth and wipes out all of mankind with the exception of a few pockets of humanity, said network officials.

War of the Worlds features an ensemble cast including Gabriel Byrne, Elizabeth McGovern, Léa Drucker, Natasha Little, Daisy Edgar Jones, Stéphane Caillard, Adel Bencherif and Guillaume Gouix.

The drama series is produced by Urban Myth Films, in partnership with CANAL+, Fox Networks Group (FNG) Europe & Africa and AGC Television, and executive produced by Howard Overman, Julian Murphy and Johnny Capps for Urban Myth Films.

“We at Epix are thrilled to be working with the teams at Urban Myth and Studiocanal to showcase Howard Overman’s masterful take on this classic story,” said network president Michael Wright in a statement. “We can’t wait to bring this cinematic and addictive series to our audience.”

https://www.multichannel.com/news/ep...eries-february
gibson61 likes this.

post #7 of 19 Old 11-22-2019, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 233
I was always hoping for a War of the Worlds part 2' The Martins get their flu shot before coming then return for revenge. Would be epic.
archiguy likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-23-2019, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 14362
Quote:
From HOTP thread:

Epix to Premiere ‘War of the Worlds’ Series in February
By R. Thomas Umstead, Multichannel News - Nov. 21, 2019

Epix will unveil its version of HG Wells classic story War of The Worlds on Feb. 16, the network said Thursday.

The eight part series is a contemporary re-telling of the classic sci-fi tale in which an alien force comes to earth and wipes out all of mankind with the exception of a few pockets of humanity, said network officials.

War of the Worlds features an ensemble cast including Gabriel Byrne, Elizabeth McGovern, Léa Drucker, Natasha Little, Daisy Edgar Jones, Stéphane Caillard, Adel Bencherif and Guillaume Gouix.

The drama series is produced by Urban Myth Films, in partnership with CANAL+, Fox Networks Group (FNG) Europe & Africa and AGC Television, and executive produced by Howard Overman, Julian Murphy and Johnny Capps for Urban Myth Films.

“We at Epix are thrilled to be working with the teams at Urban Myth and Studiocanal to showcase Howard Overman’s masterful take on this classic story,” said network president Michael Wright in a statement. “We can’t wait to bring this cinematic and addictive series to our audience.”

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
post #9 of 19 Old 11-23-2019, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6301 Post(s)
Liked: 6962
So... this series is basically a re-do of TNT's 'Falling Skies' or NBC's 'Colony' or any of bunches of others, except with a bigger budget and better special effects? I agree with the above sentiments that this post-alien-invasion-apolcayptic-suvivalist stuff is played out.

If they're going to appropriate HG Well's intellectual property for instant brand recognition in a cluttered TV landscape, how about showing, you know.. the actual war of the worlds...? That's the show I want to see.
Tack and gibson61 like this.

Last edited by archiguy; 11-23-2019 at 09:13 AM.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-23-2019, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Since this is a French co-production, it's practically a cinch that we'll have to endure CGI scene-after-scene of stuff like the Eiffel Tower and "Le Bullet Train" being digitally decimated--until Paris unleashes their surprise weapon on the alien baddies: sudden unexpected total surrender, which confuses the aliens, causing them all to commit suicide.

OTOH, maybe I've seen too many French flicks.

While they're at it, they might as well re-make The Day The Earth Stood Still again. Can't get any worse than the last one.
thehun likes this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #11 of 19 Old 11-25-2019, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson61 View Post
I was always hoping for a War of the Worlds part 2' The Martins get their flu shot before coming then return for revenge. Would be epic.
Don't you mean "Epix"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
Since this is a French co-production, it's practically a cinch that we'll have to endure CGI scene-after-scene of stuff like the Eiffel Tower and "Le Bullet Train" being digitally decimated--until Paris unleashes their surprise weapon on the alien baddies: sudden unexpected total surrender, which confuses the aliens, causing them all to commit suicide.

OTOH, maybe I've seen too many French flicks.

While they're at it, they might as well re-make The Day The Earth Stood Still again. Can't get any worse than the last one.
Maybe the aliens will be like snails - soft bodies in technology shells. All you have to do is throw salt on them to kill them, then laugh in a haughty way....
post #12 of 19 Old 11-26-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Previewed the first episode last night... very well done.. I don't think anyone will be disappointed, big budget is clearly evident.

FWIW- the first two episodes have already aired overseas, episode three airs Sunday.
Tack and WilliamR like this.

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."
post #13 of 19 Old 11-26-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh yes, this 1900's BBC period piece is actually titled "The War of the Worlds", the contemporary series by Fox is titled "War of the worlds".

Subtle difference, but it is what it is.
shivaji likes this.

post #14 of 19 Old 11-26-2019, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Previewed the first episode last night... very well done.. I don't think anyone will be disappointed, big budget is clearly evident.

FWIW- the first two episodes have already aired overseas, episode three airs Sunday.
Awesome, can't wait, really looking forward to this. Loved the movies, even the Tom Cruise one.

post #15 of 19 Old 11-27-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Awesome, can't wait, really looking forward to this. Loved the movies, even the Tom Cruise one.
Second episode was just as good!

post #16 of 19 Old 11-27-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm sorry....I hope I'm not confusing anyone, just to be crystal clear... the two episodes I'm referring to above are from the BBC 1905 period piece "The War of the Worlds".
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2019...s-in-the-cast/

Two episodes have aired on the BBC so far w/the next episode to air this coming Sunday. You can view the official trailer on the above link.

Hopefully this will come to BBC America soon because it has been excellent so far!

Eight episodes of the contemporary French series by Canal +/Fox titled "War of the Worlds" (no "The" in the beginning of the title) have already aired in Europe. I tried watching the first episode but it was a strange mix of French/English language. Of course that will not be an issue when it airs officially on EPIX here in Feb.
archiguy likes this.

post #17 of 19 Old 11-27-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
I saw the first two episodes of the period version. I thought it a well done BBC production, I liked it. So far, the newer one has not captured my interest.
replayrob and archiguy like this.
post #18 of 19 Old 11-28-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I saw the first two episodes of the period version. I thought it a well done BBC production, I liked it. So far, the newer one has not captured my interest.
I'm watching the BBC version myself and I can't say I share your enthusiasm over it, I'm on the second episode as well. It's a mini series though with only 3 episodes right?
I've yet to catch the French[ Epix] version.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #19 of 19 Old 11-28-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not really sure if the BBC program is only 3 episodes, if so they have a lot to cover in the final episode.
It got really mediocre reviews on IMDb, so maybe I'm the only one who likes it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page