Our Planet- Netflix nature documentary - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
  • 2 Post By TitusTroy
  • 2 Post By Tack
  • 2 Post By archiguy
  • 1 Post By Tack
  • 1 Post By Aliens
  • 1 Post By archiguy
  • 1 Post By Keenan
  • 4 Post By Keenan
  • 1 Post By adpayne
  • 1 Post By RWetmore

post #1 of 25 Old 02-04-2019, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked: 3968
Our Planet- Netflix nature documentary

8-part nature series narrated by Sir David Attenborough...Our Planet combines stunning photography and technology with a never-before-filmed look at Earth’s remaining wilderness areas and their animal inhabitants...the four-year project was filmed in 50 countries across all seven continents, with more than 600 crew members capturing 3,500-plus filming days...Our Planet focuses on the breadth of the diversity of habitats around the world— from the remote Arctic wilderness and mysterious deep oceans to the vast landscapes of Africa and diverse jungles of South America

I originally thought that this was Netflix's Planet Earth copycat but since David Attenborough is involved and the scope of the production it actually looks more like Planet Earth 3...should be some breathtaking visuals in 4K/Dolby Vision...premieres on April 5th...

Nayan and Ben23 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-04-2019, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 3539
Since Netflix appears to be the sole distributor world-wide I'm guessing a disc release isn't in the cards, or at least not anytime soon.
post #3 of 25 Old 02-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Wow, well this is exciting. I'm a sucker for stuff like this: eye candy + learning...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 03-20-2019, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Trailer...

Thanks to an extensive team that includes some of the world’s best wildlife cinematographers, researchers and scientists — and the latest in 4K camera technology — each episode features several stunning sequences that have never been filmed before...launches worldwide April 5th...

post #5 of 25 Old 04-10-2019, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

‘Our Planet’ Review: Netflix’s Stunning Nature Doc Is Here to Tell You We’re Screwed

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/ou...th-1202056165/

https://www.slashfilm.com/our-planet-review/
post #6 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4599 Post(s)
Liked: 6080
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
‘Our Planet’ Review: Netflix’s Stunning Nature Doc Is Here to Tell You We’re Screwed

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/ou...th-1202056165/

https://www.slashfilm.com/our-planet-review/
That's too bad. I always hate it when these shows get held hostage by someone who must drive a point home. I wonder how the crews who put in all the time, in unfavorable conditions for weeks or more at a time, to catpure the perfect shot feel when the Political Commisar decides what the direction of the narrative will be.

BTW, I can't remember what the name of the show was. It was a sister production to the "Planet" shows, I think it was UK only, although I saw it on BBC America. Anyway, a particularly nasty blizzard in the Antarctic blew a bunch of Penguins into a gully that they couldn't ascend. The photography team are never supposed to help or interfere with any of these situations, but were finally compelled to carve a series of stairs with which the Penguins used to climb to safety. It was very moving, and I think my allegies kicked in a little at the same time.
Panson and adpayne like this.
post #7 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 6016 Post(s)
Liked: 6631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
That's too bad. I always hate it when these shows get held hostage by someone who must drive a point home. I wonder how the crews who put in all the time, in unfavorable conditions for weeks or more at a time, to catpure the perfect shot feel when the Political Commisar decides what the direction of the narrative will be.
The focus of this series was to show how climate change, pollution, and other effects of man's domination of the planet will affect the number and health of animal species. Many biological scientists believe we are already in the midst of a 6th mass extinction, accelerating rapidly, this time caused by man's insatiable appetites & activities.

There are already plenty of nature documentaries that restrict themselves to gorgeous footage of cute critters doing cute critter-stuff. This one wants to make you think a little more about what's going to happen to them. I don't see that as the choice of a "political commissar", but an engaged and enlightened producer trying to provide a different and needed perspective.

Maybe if more people understand what the consequences of climate change are going to be on the natural world, they'll be spurred to demand action from their elected leaders. Can't see how that would be anything but a positive development.
Ben23 and curtlots like this.
post #8 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4599 Post(s)
Liked: 6080
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The focus of this series was to show how climate change, pollution, and other effects of man's domination of the planet will affect the number and health of animal species. Many biological scientists believe we are already in the midst of a 6th mass extinction, accelerating rapidly, this time caused by man's insatiable appetites & activities.

There are already plenty of nature documentaries that restrict themselves to gorgeous footage of cute critters doing cute critter-stuff. This one wants to make you think a little more about what's going to happen to them. I don't see that as the choice of a "political commissar", but an engaged and enlightened producer trying to provide a different and needed perspective.

Maybe if more people understand what the consequences of climate change are going to be on the natural world, they'll be spurred to demand action from their elected leaders. Can't see how that would be anything but a positive development.

Did you watch the trailer? Other than the ambiguous "about our changing planet and what we can do to help it thrive", the rest is two minutes of "cute critters doing cute critter-stuff." (Gorgeous whale breach shot BTW).

If the focus of the show is global w.... climate change, why package that fact in a Trojan Horse? When I was a little kid, my Mom crushed up medicine and mixed it in a spoonful of jelly. I'm no longer a little kid. Call it "Climate change and You" or something. I'm sorry, I just don't like media mis-direction. It pisses me off.

I've been big on these shows since the days of Marlin Perkins, I expect some lecturing. I get it. Man = Bad. And we are. I just don't like the way they are going about this.
goosecat likes this.
post #9 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked: 2941
Quote:
BTW, I can't remember what the name of the show was. It was a sister production to the "Planet" shows, I think it was UK only, although I saw it on BBC America. Anyway, a particularly nasty blizzard in the Antarctic blew a bunch of Penguins into a gully that they couldn't ascend. The photography team are never supposed to help or interfere with any of these situations, but were finally compelled to carve a series of stairs with which the Penguins used to climb to safety. It was very moving, and I think my allegies kicked in a little at the same time.
That was Dynasties. Or as Sir David called it - Denasties. Being as that is a big no-no, I was wondering if they were going to help them or not, so I was surprised when they did. David said he would have done the same thing which was another surprise. I felt really good when they did, but still...
Tack likes this.

Last edited by Aliens; 04-11-2019 at 09:49 AM.
post #10 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 6016 Post(s)
Liked: 6631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
That was Dynasties. Or as Sir David called it - Denasties. Being as that is a big no-no, I was wondering if they were going to help them or not, so I was surprised when they did. David said he would have done the same thing which was another surprise. I felt really good when they did, but still...
Violating the Prime Directive. Did Sir David learn nothing from Sir Patrick?
Tack likes this.
post #11 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 2266
The slight backlash over the walrus scene prompts Netflix to add warnings to those that have not seen it (warning article contains graphic pictures/text if anyone was offended by the original content, you should avoid the article).

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a27114...alrus-footage/

post #12 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Methinks humans have become a bit too divorced from nature and the planet they live on.

Stay inside and keep the doors and windows closed, we don't want to be offended by nature now, do we?
Tack likes this.
post #13 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Regarding the technical aspects of this show, it has some of the very best image quality I've seen from any source, just incredible. It's amazing what the encoding wizards at Netflix have done in creating such a stunningly beautiful visual feast.
Panson, TitusTroy, Ben23 and 1 others like this.
post #14 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

so what's the verdict on the picture quality?...on par with Planet Earth 2/Blue Planet 2?...better?...worse?...how about the actual nature scenes they captured on film?...anything really new and spectacular or pretty much a rehash of things we've already seen?...anyone know if this is this going to be released on 4K Blu-ray?...they'd be crazy not to
post #15 of 25 Old 04-11-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Emphasis on beauty of animals, foliage, photography for me, please. Dumb it down if you have to. I need a big break from climate change, as well as animals and humans killing each other.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #16 of 25 Old 04-12-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Why am I not getting this with Atmos on X-Box?
post #17 of 25 Old 04-15-2019, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Since Netflix appears to be the sole distributor world-wide I'm guessing a disc release isn't in the cards, or at least not anytime soon.
Sad to hear that.
Was hoping to see a full 4kUHD release. The streaming format has insufficient bandwidth to do justice to such an epic tale.
post #18 of 25 Old 04-16-2019, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
Sad to hear that.
Was hoping to see a full 4kUHD release. The streaming format has insufficient bandwidth to do justice to such an epic tale.

I watched on a 120" screen from a 4K UST laser PJ in my living room.
The picture quality is stunning. It isn't perfect, but a 10 foot image is going to reveal everything. Streaming has come a long way and YouTube, Prime and Netflix beat broadcast hands down.

Obviously, a UHD BD released would be welcomed.
Ben23 likes this.
post #19 of 25 Old 05-01-2019, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Our Planet - 4K Netflix with Dolby Vision review

Though the minor compression here leaves just a bit of room for improvement for any potential Ultra HD Blu-ray disc release (fingers crossed), when it comes to Dolby Vision streaming, it really doesn't get much better than this...

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/71...olbyatmos.html
post #20 of 25 Old 05-02-2019, 04:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Our Planet - 4K Netflix with Dolby Vision review

Though the minor compression here leaves just a bit of room for improvement for any potential Ultra HD Blu-ray disc release (fingers crossed), when it comes to Dolby Vision streaming, it really doesn't get much better than this...

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/71...olbyatmos.html
The review says -

"Netflix streams Our Planet with a Dolby Atmos audio track in the Dolby Digital Plus format. Likewise, a Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 track is also available for users who don't have Atmos support. Sadly, since Netflix still does not offer Atmos playback via Roku and Fire TV devices, I had to stick with 5.1 myself."

Neither do I get Atmos through the X-Box.
post #21 of 25 Old 06-23-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
so what's the verdict on the picture quality?...on par with Planet Earth 2/Blue Planet 2?...better?...worse?...

I would say it's a bit better even. And I'm just streaming it in 1080p with a Fire stick. I think the difference may be largely due to the quality of the cameras they used, but I'm not sure (nor do I know what cameras they used). A little bit better depth and clarity overall is how I'd describe the difference. This would easily make a reference quality UHD or even regular 1080p Blu-ray.

Quote:
how about the actual nature scenes they captured on film?...anything really new and spectacular or pretty much a rehash of things we've already seen?...

There are some new things, yes, but there are some things that aren't really new or just somewhat different versions of things more or less already filmed. Like 5 cheetahs hunting a wildebeest instead of 1 or 2. Things like this.

I don't care for the preachy 'climate change', 'man is destroying...etc...' narrative either, but the footage is so spectacular and well put together I'll put up with it. I'd definitely buy this on disc if it were ever released.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #22 of 25 Old 06-23-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
If the focus of the show is global w.... climate change, why package that fact in a Trojan Horse? When I was a little kid, my Mom crushed up medicine and mixed it in a spoonful of jelly. I'm no longer a little kid. Call it "Climate change and You" or something. I'm sorry, I just don't like media mis-direction. It pisses me off.

I've been big on these shows since the days of Marlin Perkins, I expect some lecturing. I get it. Man = Bad. And we are. I just don't like the way they are going about this.

I agree, but again the footage is so spectacular, I'll put up with it.
post #23 of 25 Old 06-23-2019, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
I would say it's a bit better even. And I'm just streaming it in 1080p with a Fire stick. I think the difference may be largely due to the quality of the cameras they used, but I'm not sure (nor do I know what cameras they used). A little bit better depth and clarity overall is how I'd describe the difference. This would easily make a reference quality UHD or even regular 1080p Blu-ray

There are some new things, yes, but there are some things that aren't really new or just somewhat different versions of things more or less already filmed. Like 5 cheetahs hunting a wildebeest instead of 1 or 2. Things like this

I don't care for the preachy 'climate change', 'man is destroying...etc...' narrative either, but the footage is so spectacular and well put together I'll put up with it. I'd definitely buy this on disc if it were ever released.
thanks for the review...I've been busy the past few months so didn't get a catch to watch this yet...sounds just as good as Planet Earth...I think the same production team was behind both documentaries so that's no surprise...this series is a perfect showcase for UHD/Dolby Vision/HDR10
post #24 of 25 Old 07-11-2019, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

finally got around to watching this...finished it up last night...these Planet Earth/Blue Planet type of documentaries still manage to wow me...so many gorgeous shots of nature, animals etc...I'm still not sure how they were able to capture some of these shots...even though a lot of stuff seems redundant based on the previous series it's still amazing stuff...one of the best parts of Our Planet was when they showed Chernobyl and how the forests have grown back and some animals have returned despite the heavy radiation...some of the other shots of animals rarely captured on film were also impressive- Siberian tigers, leopards, blue whales etc

the save the planet message was over-done at times but it didn't bother me too much...the walrus death scenes were pretty graphic for a show of this type...the picture quality was mostly amazing with some expected softer shots depending on the camera being used...I really would love to see this released on UHD/Dolby Vision/HDR10
post #25 of 25 Old 07-11-2019, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just finished watching the Bonus- Behind the Scenes episode on how they filmed the series...really good stuff...the way they set up their cameras and camera people to capture the rare Siberian Tiger was amazing...so was the filming of the underwater shark frenzy- the cameramen all had to wear chainmail suits under their scuba gear to protect themselves from potential shark bites...I thought that long range cameras were used for a lot of the footage but they got up close on a lot of footage...they literally were swimming with the sharks and inches away from tens of thousands of beached walruses

drones have been a gamechanger in terms of aerial footage for these type of nature documentaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page