Masked Singer on Fox - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 198 Old 10-21-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
Early predictions: Mary Wilson of the Supremes, David Hasselhoff, and Paul Shaffer will be on this show.

Why you ask? Okay, you didn't ask, but here's why I think. While at the gym this week, one of the TVs was on TMZ. I couldn't hear it, but while watching I noticed in their upcoming ticker section it listed these three individually as being an interview. Now, TMZ basically just concerns themselves with talking about recent, popular names, so I found it odd that they would be interviewing (sorry to use this term) has-beens. Plus, TMZ is a FOX show, so I'm betting those three will be singing.
One down.
WilliamR likes this.
Tom Imp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 198 Old 10-21-2019, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,592
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
One down.
Nice call, didn't think of him until the judges mentioned him.

WilliamR is offline  
post #93 of 198 Old 10-22-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I'll be honest, I didn't hear it in his first appearance. After Ken Jeong, and then people here said Martin Short, I figured it was. Then this last performance, I didn't hear Short at all and could hear some resemblance to Shaffer.

That said, if I didn't see him on TMZ that day, I may have never thought that was him. As for Hasselhoff, I'm struggling to see any of them as him.
Tom Imp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 198 Old 11-18-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 292
I'm sure someone will undoubtedly say everyone knew who that was, but this latest reveal was a shocker. The judges weren't even close and I never saw this coming.
Tom Imp is offline  
post #95 of 198 Old 11-18-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hooked01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
I'm sure someone will undoubtedly say everyone knew who that was, but this latest reveal was a shocker. The judges weren't even close and I never saw this coming.
The fact that she used that bad southern accent should have thrown everyone off. Plus she is not well known as a singer. I had no clue about Rumer Willis last year because she is not extremely famous and I never followed her career.
hooked01 is offline  
post #96 of 198 Old 11-18-2019, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,592
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 3162
Never thought that was going to be an Osborne. She also has a pretty good voice.

WilliamR is offline  
post #97 of 198 Old 11-21-2019, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,592
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 3162
The Rottweiler sounds exactly like Chris Daughtry. There are soooo many examples of things he does in his songs that he is doing on the stage, certain ways he sings and his runs/tones, etc. Wife and I said it at almost the same time soon as he started singing last night.

WilliamR is offline  
post #98 of 198 Old 12-07-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
The Rottweiler sounds exactly like Chris Daughtry. There are soooo many examples of things he does in his songs that he is doing on the stage, certain ways he sings and his runs/tones, etc. Wife and I said it at almost the same time soon as he started singing last night.
I said the same thing to my wife. I will be shocked if that isn't him.

I wonder how actual singers like Patti LaBelle and Michelle Williams feel when they lose, while people like Dennis Rodman (obviously the Thingamajig), are still there.
Tom Imp is offline  
post #99 of 198 Old 12-09-2019, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,592
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
I said the same thing to my wife. I will be shocked if that isn't him.

I wonder how actual singers like Patti LaBelle and Michelle Williams feel when they lose, while people like Dennis Rodman (obviously the Thingamajig), are still there.
I was thinking the same thing when Patti got eliminated, she has to be pissed.

WilliamR is offline  
post #100 of 198 Old 12-11-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 292
What the F#@&!

I just saw an article with a picture of the persona of who is eliminated next. The show isn't on until tonight, so why was this revealed? The headline didn't say who exactly they are, but it did mention a show they were from.
Tom Imp is offline  
post #101 of 198 Old 12-12-2019, 06:44 AM
Senior Member
 
rflor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
I wonder how actual singers like Patti LaBelle and Michelle Williams feel when they lose, while people like Dennis Rodman (obviously the Thingamajig), are still there.
This post didn't age well.

The Thingamajig reveal was my first true "who's that?!" moment in the show. Maybe it's because I haven't paid attention the NBA since Jordan retired.
rflor is offline  
post #102 of 198 Old 12-12-2019, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,592
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
What the F#@&!

I just saw an article with a picture of the persona of who is eliminated next. The show isn't on until tonight, so why was this revealed? The headline didn't say who exactly they are, but it did mention a show they were from.
You sure you didn't miss an episode? There were two new episodes this week. Tuesday with a single elimination and Wed. had a double.


Rottweiler is killing it, soooo good.

WilliamR is offline  
post #103 of 198 Old 12-12-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,466
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Rottweiler is killing it, soooo good.
+1, I couldn't believe it when Robin was so sure the Rottweiler was going to go as you said he's one of the best!
Last night went just as I had hoped.
BTW I see my Tivo is going to record an episode this Saturday, a 2hr event, I'm pretty sure it's a repeat and I have my Season Pass setup to only record NEW events but we'll see. I'm going to let it record, easy enough to delete if indeed it's a repeat of the two shows this week combined into a 2hr event.
WilliamR likes this.
jjeff is online now  
post #104 of 198 Old 12-13-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflor View Post
This post didn't age well.

The Thingamajig reveal was my first true "who's that?!" moment in the show. Maybe it's because I haven't paid attention the NBA since Jordan retired.
Yeah, aside from being an NBA player, my "obviously" wasn't even close.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
You sure you didn't miss an episode? There were two new episodes this week. Tuesday with a single elimination and Wed. had a double.
Watched the double elimination one, but didn't realize there was another the day before. I knew this was a Wednesday show, so that's why I was surprised when there was an article mentioning the elimination of the Tree the night before.

Either way, what are your guesses on the final 3?
I have a hard time believing that someone as big as Jamie Foxx would do this show, so I'm not sure the Fox is him.
Completely lost on the Flamingo.
Still think that the Rottweiler has to be Chris Daughtry.
Tom Imp is offline  
post #105 of 198 Old 12-13-2019, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,592
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
Yeah, aside from being an NBA player, my "obviously" wasn't even close.




Watched the double elimination one, but didn't realize there was another the day before. I knew this was a Wednesday show, so that's why I was surprised when there was an article mentioning the elimination of the Tree the night before.

Either way, what are your guesses on the final 3?
I have a hard time believing that someone as big as Jamie Foxx would do this show, so I'm not sure the Fox is him.
Completely lost on the Flamingo.
Still think that the Rottweiler has to be Chris Daughtry.
There have been some big names on here like Seal and Patti, they are mega singers in their own right, so I don't put it past Jaime but I don't think it is him. I agree with Robin, it is Wayne Brady. I kept saying no way when he would say it except for his last performance. We are big fans of Who's Line is it Anyway and during that performance he sounded exactly like he does on the show. However, I never would have gone down that path if Robin hadn't said his name. But the Super Hero part is throwing me, I don't think he has been in any movies as a super hero.


No idea on the Flamingo but man she is skinny as a stick.


Rott is 100% Daughtry. Big fans of his music and you hear it all over his performances. Surprised the judges haven't heard it.

WilliamR is offline  
post #106 of 198 Old 12-13-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hooked01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 905
I wonder if the show is rigged where the judges already who know who the singers are and they are just making wild guesses to make it more interesting. It would be no fun if they guessed the right person right away. Ken guessing Victor Oladipo seems kind of fishy. Especially since they were giving him a hard time that he has never guessed correctly before.
hooked01 is offline  
post #107 of 198 Old 12-13-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 26,208
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5198 Post(s)
Liked: 4259
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I agree with Robin, it is Wayne Brady. I kept saying no way when he would say it except for his last performance. We are big fans of Who's Line is it Anyway and during that performance he sounded exactly like he does on the show. However, I never would have gone down that path if Robin hadn't said his name. But the Super Hero part is throwing me, I don't think he has been in any movies as a super hero.
Wayne Brady was the voice of the superhero Micron in Batman Beyond. He'll also appear as a recurring character on Black Lightning later this season.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Josh Z is offline  
post #108 of 198 Old 12-14-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
I wonder if the show is rigged where the judges already who know who the singers are and they are just making wild guesses to make it more interesting. It would be no fun if they guessed the right person right away. Ken guessing Victor Oladipo seems kind of fishy. Especially since they were giving him a hard time that he has never guessed correctly before.
Unless Ken is a basketball savant, that definitely felt out of left field. Especially since the clues were leading to Rodman.
Tom Imp is offline  
post #109 of 198 Old 12-16-2019, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,592
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Wayne Brady was the voice of the superhero Micron in Batman Beyond. He'll also appear as a recurring character on Black Lightning later this season.
Never knew that, thanks. Guess that makes it more likely him.

WilliamR is offline  
post #110 of 198 Old 12-16-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hooked01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
Unless Ken is a basketball savant, that definitely felt out of left field. Especially since the clues were leading to Rodman.
I was pretty sure it wasn’t Rodman. He can barely stand and speak at the same time these days, let alone sing and dance. But to make the leap from tall guy and knee injury to Victor Oladipo is quite extraordinary. I guess they threw Indiana in there somewhere, but still...
hooked01 is offline  
post #111 of 198 Old 12-19-2019, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,592
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 3162
Well that was ridiculous. This show needs to change its voting strategy or at least get a bigger audience.

Regarding the winner, there is no way Wayne Brady is a better singer than Daughtry. Not even close to his caliber and the singing just on this show is proof enough. I think he only won because he cried at the end and got the emotional vote.

WilliamR is offline  
post #112 of 198 Old 12-19-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 11,466
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Yes everyone in my household was rooting for the Rottweiler thats for sure.
jjeff is online now  
post #113 of 198 Old 12-20-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 26,208
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5198 Post(s)
Liked: 4259
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Well that was ridiculous. This show needs to change its voting strategy or at least get a bigger audience.

Regarding the winner, there is no way Wayne Brady is a better singer than Daughtry. Not even close to his caliber and the singing just on this show is proof enough. I think he only won because he cried at the end and got the emotional vote.
I think we need to understand that this isn't really a talent show. It's not The Voice. It's just a goof where a bunch of celebrities prance around in silly costumes for a lark. The winner is decided by who entertained the crowd and the judges the most, and that may or may not have anything to do with how well they sing.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Josh Z is offline  
post #114 of 198 Old 12-20-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Well that was ridiculous. This show needs to change its voting strategy or at least get a bigger audience.

Regarding the winner, there is no way Wayne Brady is a better singer than Daughtry. Not even close to his caliber and the singing just on this show is proof enough. I think he only won because he cried at the end and got the emotional vote.
I was fine with Wayne winning as he does have a decent voice, but as I was quickly informed here after last season, these shows are a popularity contest. Like I said then, in what world does T-Pain have a better voice than Gladys Knight or Donny Osmond?

BTW, talk about quick turn arounds. I can't believe Season 3 is already going to start in a little more than a month.

Last edited by Tom Imp; 12-20-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Tom Imp is offline  
post #115 of 198 Old 12-20-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 26,208
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5198 Post(s)
Liked: 4259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
BTW, talk about quick turn arounds. I can't believe Season 3 is already going to start in a little more than a month.
I expect this to be handled like Survivor or Dancing with the Stars, where the network as two 10-13 episode "seasons" every year.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Josh Z is offline  
post #116 of 198 Old 12-20-2019, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,592
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I expect this to be handled like Survivor or Dancing with the Stars, where the network as two 10-13 episode "seasons" every year.
Seeing as how popular it is this is not surprising at all. It gets really good numbers in the ratings.

WilliamR is offline  
post #117 of 198 Old 12-20-2019, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,592
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 3162
Pretty cool article:

Why the Rottweiler is glad he didn't come in fourth on The Masked Singer

Warning: This article contains spoilers about Wednesday’s season finale of The Masked Singer.

No fourth place finish for Chris Daughtry!

The American Idol alum, who finished fourth during the fifth season of that singing competition, came in second on The Masked Singer. Here, the singer-songwriter reflects on playing a dog and how thrilling it was to find out he competed against the likes of Seal and Patti LaBelle.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: It looks like that costume was pretty easy to move in. How did you feel?

CHRIS DAUGHTRY: Yeah, the jeans and the sneakers made it a lot easier. It was very constricting, very heavy, very hot. There was not one performance where I didn’t get winded and feel like I was gasping for my life. I think after one of them I just fell to the floor afterwards. I was just so run down — not passed out, it was definitely for dramatic effect, but I felt every piece of it.

Did you have a choice in costumes? Did you see the Rottweiler and said, “Oh yeah, that’s me.”

Yeah, I did. I was looking through them and at first I was like, I don’t really see anything that resonates and then it hit me, this is perfect. Very much in the same way that Batman became Batman, by being terrified of bats and becoming what he feared, I was bitten by a Rottweiler when I was 15 or maybe 16 so I was going to face my fears and embody my fear. It just resonated with me. And he was so damn cute. So it was a nice juxtaposition to what I thought Rottweilers were.

Was it an easy sell to get you to do this show?

Oh my God, yes. I remember years ago I saw Ryan Reynolds do the version in Korea. I think he was a unicorn and I thought, “Oh my God, that would be so fun to do something like that.” And then my publicist said, “Hey, have you seen Masked Singer?” I was like, “Wait, is that the same thing that Ryan Reynolds did years ago?” And he was like, “Yeah, but it’s releasing in America.” So I went back and watched season 1. I know T-Pain and it was really cool to see people who you know in these costumes and I was like, “I have to do this, I have to do this. I really want to experience this. It seems so fun and liberating.” And just the thought of being under that veil of anonymity was very attractive to me and I’m so happy I did it.

Your fans believe you have a very distinctive voice. Did you go through a period of debating whether to disguise it?

At first, I was going to pick a song like “Ice Ice Baby.” I was going to pick “Never Gonna Give You Up” from Rick Astley, because I wanted to do something that was going to almost be funny. But then I realized that’s not the goal of this show and that I needed to really be able to perform and showcase my voice. But I did change keys to songs so that it wasn’t putting me so up in my register that it would be a dead giveaway. And singing songs that really showcase my lower tone, which is something I typically don’t do. And there was a moment where I was like, maybe I should just sing differently, but once you start singing, all of that goes out the window and I just kind of dial back the grid a little bit so it wasn’t too aggressive. But even watching it back I’m like, there’s no way people don’t know who this is, this is so obviously me. And I was getting texts and phone calls from friends that I went to high school with, that I’ve known practically my whole life. And they’re not even asking me. They’re going, “Hey, you’re not fooling anybody under that costume.” And I couldn’t say anything. My poker face was really strong and even my kids were like, “Daddy, is that you?” And I would say, “I don’t see how it could be. I’m right here.” Some of the clues are very obvious.

Were there some songs that you worried sounded too much like vintage Daughtry?

I thought “Grenade” or “Love Runs Out “was going to put me in that slippery slope of, this is obviously me. But I don’t know how I managed to pull it off. They didn’t guess me.
Were you able to hear your competition much?

Never. Not only did we not know who was under any of the costumes, but we had no idea what songs were being sung. I didn’t know how many professional singers I was up against. And that was actually a great thing because it’s so easy to get in your head and go, “Oh, well if they’re here then I need to change my song or I need to change the way I perform because I’m up against this person.” It was so freeing to just go against me and me only. I’m just going to go out there and do the best I can do with this song and hope to God that I continue on or make it to the next round. So I never, ever — even when I’m standing in front of another contestant — I had no idea what they sang prior to that. You could hear some of it sometimes in the background, but you couldn’t really make out the performance of it, if that makes any sense.

What was it like watching the show with the rest of America, seeing who you were up against?

It was so surreal. And even Seal. I know Seal and I know Wayne Brady and once I found out it was like, really? I found out watching the show like everybody else. It was actually weird watching me. It was almost like I’m watching somebody else because I’m under a costume. I’m seeing things through this little slit in my mask and I don’t get the scope of it all. And seeing it like that was almost like watching someone else perform. And I was nervous every time watching it. And I remember hearing the Leopard for the first time and I was like, “Oh my God, that’s Seal. There’s no doubt in my mind that’s Seal.” I know his voice too well and I was really, really happy to see that that’s who it was. There were incredible people who I look up to, people who I have been fans of for many, many years and to see that they were on the same show competing with me was a very validating experience.

You sounded so superb doing “Grenade.” Any chance you would cover that later?

I don’t know. It’s certainly a fun song and I’m good friends with one of the gentleman who wrote it. I haven’t really thought about it yet. Everything’s been so about the show and we’re working on a new record right now in the studio. I’m very, very excited for fans to hear what’s coming. I’ll leave it at that.

You came in fourth on American Idol, but second place on The Masked Singer. Do you feel completely vindicated, Chris Daughtry?

Yeah! At least I did not come in fourth. That was my goal, to make it past fourth place. I felt very vindicated.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/12/18/rottwei...try-interview/

WilliamR is offline  
post #118 of 198 Old 12-20-2019, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,592
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 3162
Fox says he came to The Masked Singer to win — and he did

Warning: This article contains spoilers about Wednesday’s season finale of The Masked Singer.

Sorry, but it has to be said: Wayne Brady outfoxed them all.

The host of Let’s Make a Deal just become the second winner of The Masked Singer, and he’s talking to EW about how he came to the show to win and why his mother never suspected he was Mr. Fox — even though she believed it sounded like her son. And above, check out the music video for “Flirtin’ With Forever,” the first single from Brady’s new album, which drops in January.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: You just won The Masked Singer! Is the outcome you wanted or did you just do this to have fun?

WAYNE BRADY: As I’ve said to other people in my life, I don’t have time to just do stuff for fun. When I do something, it’s with the full intent and my intention was winning. Whether I won or not, that’s up to someone else, but my intention was absolutely to win. I wanted to have people not be influenced by my face or that I make them laugh on TV to just to listen.

Because your day job doesn’t always require you to sing, did you not have to worry much that folks would recognize you or was that always in the back of your mind?

Well, I disagree with you. On my day job, if you ever watch, I sing a lot. So the small worry was, yeah, people might guess me but because it was out of context, they may not put two and two together. I’m the only game show host to ever win an Emmy for a song. So all of the stuff I do is musically influenced.

There were some viewers who thought you tried to disguise your voice. Did you?

No, not at all. When singing certain styles, you sound differently. I wish I could take credit for trying to disguise it. When we were briefed by the show, they said don’t try to disguise your voice when you’re giving the clues because they do that with an effect. So I didn’t want to try to “This is me, I’m giving you a clue” because then it would’ve sounded weird. And I never tried to disguise my voice during a song. It’s just how some of the songs came out.

Now it seems like most viewers still figured you out, though there was a good contingent who still held out hope that you were Jamie Foxx. How did that make you feel?
It felt great because it’s a win-win, right? So if a bunch of people watching the show said, “No, that’s Wayne Brady” then that’s awesome. People know my voice. And they like my voice and more so, than I thought. And then the fact that they think that it’s Jamie, that’s a win because I love him and I think that he is an amazing musician.

My favorite performance of yours was “Tennessee Whiskey,” but I definitely heard Wayne Brady in there. Was there one song that you worried it would really expose who you are?

No, because I had no choice but to just sound like me. I think if I would have tried to go, “Okay, I’m going to sing this song like this guy,” then I would’ve messed myself up. You know what I mean? Instead of really singing the song and giving it the emotion that it needed, then it would’ve become a comedy performance of me like when I was on Whose Line Is it Anyway. So I think I just sang the song and let it go. I was very impassioned about that song.

Are you going to cover it later?

Oh, that’s coming. That’s coming. Trust me.

Now let me ask you the requisite costume question: How heavy was that headdress?

Heavy was the head that wore the headdress. It wasn’t super heavy, but if I tried to swing my head any way, it definitely took some getting use to.

Were you ever actually able to hear your competition during taping?

It was cool in certain circumstances because they do a really good job at sequestering you backstage so that you can’t really hear anyone else. But towards the middle of the competition, once you were blended into a group, that’s when you got to hear each other, when you’re passing each other doing sound checks. So I had my suspicions and I’m glad to see that I was right. I was like, “Miss Patti. Oh my God, what an honor.” And I know Patti and I love her and I think that it was just the coolest thing to say that I performed on the same show as Patti LaBelle. And watching Seal be unmasked! I knew it was him because his voice is so… I mean you can’t really disguise that voice. But at one point I thought it’s either him or it’s Terrence Howard pretending to be Seal. And then watching, seeing that it was Michelle Williams, that’s when I went, “Oh my God, Michelle was on the show and she’s amazing and she’s a third of Destiny’s Child and I’m still here.” So some of the reveals really, really let me know that I was in the right place.

How many people in your circle signed the NDA?

I kept my circle very tight. Let’s put it this way, my mother didn’t know. What’s hilarious is, she would give me a text every week and her and her husband would say, “Wayne, you know that Fox? He’s trying to sound like you sometimes. I know your voice.” But then she’d say something like, “But I know that’s not you because you sing better than he does.” I’m like, thanks, Mom.

Do you think she’s going to get mad when she finds out it’s you and you didn’t tell her?

No. I think that everybody will go “See? I knew it!”

https://ew.com/tv/2019/12/18/the-mas...w-wayne-brady/

WilliamR is offline  
post #119 of 198 Old 12-21-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Because of the quick turnaround, I'm going to throw it out there. I initially predicted 3 people were going to be on this season. Only 1 panned out.
That said, I predict David Hasselhoff is going to be on Season 3.
WilliamR likes this.
Tom Imp is offline  
post #120 of 198 Old 12-22-2019, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 13,592
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 3162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
Because of the quick turnaround, I'm going to throw it out there. I initially predicted 3 people were going to be on this season. Only 1 panned out.
That said, I predict David Hasselhoff is going to be on Season 3.
I agree, he has to be on here. Seems inevitable.

WilliamR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off