Masked Singer on Fox - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #181 of 198 Old 05-11-2020, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
I'm still sticking with the Frog being Jamie Foxx. Considering he's been guessed the 1st two seasons and then was a guest judge the 1st episode this season, I think that was just to throw off the others into thinking he wasn't competing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I don't think he is THAT good of a singer.
Fair enough, but I would argue that whoever that is under that mask isn't a great singer to begin with. His popularity is clearly his energetic performances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 198 Old 05-13-2020, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 399
One of the judges said the Rhino could be Blake Shelton but I doubt the Voice'd let him do another show while they're in season........the Rhino was Barry Zito

The best way to listen to music is in 5.1 imho.

Last edited by kevin j; 05-13-2020 at 05:59 PM.
post #183 of 198 Old 05-14-2020, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked: 3349
Ken was in rare form. Loved Nick's response when Ken said it was one person and he knew them but commented that person was out back too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 198 Old 05-14-2020, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 5304 Post(s)
Liked: 4394
Another week, another "celebrity" I've never heard of.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #185 of 198 Old 05-14-2020, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Another week, another "celebrity" I've never heard of.
And yet the judges had facts on him like they were old friends.
Tom Imp likes this.
post #186 of 198 Old 05-14-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
And yet the judges had facts on him like they were old friends.
Yeah, Ken Jeong's spot-on guess was clearly fed to him in advance.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #187 of 198 Old 05-14-2020, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Yeah, Ken Jeong's spot-on guess was clearly fed to him in advance.
He didn't come up with that so he didn't need to be "fed" anything. He said on the show he was stealing it from Jenny from her guess in previous weeks.

post #188 of 198 Old 05-14-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
He didn't come up with that so he didn't need to be "fed" anything. He said on the show he was stealing it from Jenny from her guess in previous weeks.
I still don't buy that either one of them would have guessed it, much less known a bunch of obscure trivia about the guy.
Tom Imp likes this.

Josh Z

post #189 of 198 Old 05-15-2020, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Let us remember, Jenny originally "guessed" Barry Zito a few weeks ago simply from a clue that showed the state of Missouri. She "expertly deduced" that the state meant Miss Missouri (WHO?) and that she was married to Barry Zito.

Give me a break with this fake crap!

On a side note, while I really liked the Frog in the beginning as he is highly entertaining, he has proven himself to be a one trick pony. Every performance is basically the same genre.

Last edited by Tom Imp; 05-15-2020 at 10:10 AM.
post #190 of 198 Old 05-15-2020, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
Let us remember, Jenny originally "guessed" Barry Zito a few weeks ago simply from a clue that showed the state of Missouri. She "expertly deduced" that the state meant Miss Missouri (WHO?) and that she was married to Barry Zito.

Give me a break with this fake crap!

On a side note, while I really liked the Frog in the beginning as he is highly entertaining, he has proven himself to be a one trick pony. Every performance is basically the same genre.
The only defense I can give her is she does have a talk show that she interviews many many people, so she is pretty up on pop culture. However, that was a fairly big stretch from one clue. We don't see everything else that was said because of editing, but getting that from only one clue seems far fetched.

post #191 of 198 Old 05-20-2020, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 399
The Frog was Bow Wow......Turtle was Jesse McCartney and Night Angel who won was Kandi Burruss

The best way to listen to music is in 5.1 imho.
post #192 of 198 Old 05-20-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post
The Frog was Bow Wow......Turtle was Jesse McCartney and Night Angel who won was Kandi Burruss
Three "Who gives a s**t?" celebrities. The show needs to do better next season.
Tom Imp likes this.

Josh Z

Last edited by Josh Z; 05-21-2020 at 08:10 AM.
post #193 of 198 Old 05-21-2020, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

I have heard of bow wow, never listened to a single song.

Never heard of Jesse or listened to him.

Never heard of Kandis or listened to her.

What a let down trio "celebrities" truly disappointed.
Tom Imp likes this.

post #194 of 198 Old 05-21-2020, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 914
The show is never going to attract A-list celebrities unless they only want to do it for fun. They did have a couple well-known celebs but they were usually older and didn’t click with the younger audience and were eliminated early on.

I definitely wasn’t blown away by the reveal of the finalists. It was sort of “Meh.”
post #195 of 198 Old 05-22-2020, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

The Masked Singer Season 3 Runner-Up Turtle: 'I Would Still Do It All Over Again'

The year 2020 is just full of twists, and Season 3 of the The Masked Singer kept them coming, with Night Angel declared winner after a powerhouse performance in the last episode. Indeed, Night Angel — revealed to be Real Housewives of Atlanta star Kandi Burruss absolutely deserved her win although throughout the competition, Turtle, singer-actor Jesse McCartney looked like the sure winner. They had totally different styles — Night Angel was fiery while Turtle was smooth and seductive — but Turtle's combination of sublime singing and sweet dance moves made him seem like a sure bet to take home the Golden Mask.

It wasn't to be though. The former boy bander and actor, groomed for stardom throughout his teen years from his time in Dream St. and appearances on shows including All My Children and Greek, lost after a soulful take on Lewis Capaldi's "Before You Go" — even seeming to hang his head in hurt as Night Angel jumped up and down with joy. It was a tough loss but, as he revealed in a conversation with TV Guide, an overall positive experience; he'd do it all again, even the loss, if he could. Sharing more about his time inside the turtle costume and what some of his clues meant, McCartney — who just dropped a new upbeat single "Friends" — revealed what was happening under the shell in a chat after coming in second place.

I could've sworn you were going to win. Did you feel confident you were going to win? What did it feel like to lose?

Jesse McCartney: I think it would be impolite to talk about [how the show ended]. I knew it was a competition, and I knew full well [there was a possibility] I could finish last. If I knew I would finish second, I would still do it all over again.

Past performers have talked about how hard it is to perform in those costumes, but you were killing it with really complicated dance moves. What was it like for you, being in that costume?

McCartney: For me breathing was the hardest part, especially on the dance numbers. The weight [of the costume] especially that jacket impeded my breathing ability but I learned little tricks and tips, and we had full vocal coaching backstage. No one would ever notice some of the things we were doing but they were very effective.

Why'd you choose the Turtle costume in the first place? Did that have special significance or anything for you?

McCartney: In the beginning they sent me a bunch of choices. [Many of them] looked cumbersome, some along the lines of Monster from Season 1; I knew I wouldn't be able to move well. I knew I wanted something that had pants. Turtles are kinda like a favorite animal of my brothers growing up, and I thought it reflected who I am. It has a tough shell, but inside I'm a total softy.

Your packages alluded to you having overcome some hardships in your career...can you talk about what specifically this experience helped you work through?

McCartney: It's no secret they like to punch up the drama a little bit with those. I in no way have a woe-is-me tragic life, but there's been ups and downs...moments where I was slated to do this project or something and then it collapsed at the last minute more than I would like. It comes with the territory when it comes to this industry. You have to be resilient and face rejection, especially early on. That's what I was referring to more than anything.

Why'd you want to do the show?

McCartney: I had heard of the show. My friend T-Pain, was the Season 1 winner and we have the same agent. I've always not been into the reality genre too much, but I saw that it was a singing competition and that's what sparked my curiosity. I watched the first season and I was fascinated with how ridiculous it was. We mulled over it for like a week and then I decided, let's do it. I'm very competitive so I was like, "Let's win."

Who else knew? Did you have to lie to a lot of people?

McCartney: My fiancée knew. I had to tell her; we live together. I had to lie to everyone else — my friends, my own mother. My mother heard about it from friends and watched a few episodes and she finally texted me "I know your secret. I know you can't talk about it but I can tell it's you."

You watched the season. Can you believe you beat some singing legends like Chaka Khan? And how did this change you going forward?

McCartney: I knew it was Chaka immediately. I think I was most impressed with Frog, how much of an unbelievable stage presence he had week in and week out. He had no bad night. I thought I did a pretty good job. There was one week with the Whitney Houston "Higher Love" cover I was a little out of my comfort zone and not prepared, but overall I was really happy. I put a lot of thought and energy into the performances. By the time you had seen them I had been doing them front to back for weeks.

What did you take away most from the experience?

McCartney: I can perform different genres, while wearing a 40-pound turtle suit. I've been in the pop bubble so long, I think this made me a stronger performer. I can breathe better now on stage. And doing this validated my theory that I was born to perform.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/the-mas...it-over-again/

post #196 of 198 Old 05-22-2020, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

The Night Angel didn't believe Jenny McCarthy's prediction that she'd win The Masked Singer

Warning: This story reveals the winner of The Masked Singer season 3.

We finally have a female winner! On Wednesday, Kandi Burruss — a former member of Xscape and costar of Bravo's The Real Housewives of Atlanta — became the third winner of The Masked Singer on Fox. Here, the Grammy winner admits that her time on the show was full of self-doubt (though she did really dig her performance of "Rise Up").

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Early on, Jenny McCarthy said you were going to win. Did it give you chills when you heard that?

KANDI BURRUSS: Well, when she first said it, it made me feel really good. But at the same time I was like, "Is she saying that to everybody?" You can't see the other performers, so I don't know. Are they just trying to give us positive feedback so we'll feel good about it? I didn't know what to think. I had a lot of self-doubt in the beginning of this season.

Was there a week when you felt like you had this in the bag?

I don't think there was ever a time where I just was like, "Okay, I know I'm gonna win." But there definitely were a few times where I really felt good about my performance. When I did "Rise Up," I felt really good about it. I felt like I was definitely gonna make it to the next round on that one.

Your song choices were outstanding. Fans in particular went nuts over your cover of "How to Love."

I loved "How to Love"! I felt like it was kind of risky because my goal through this whole season was to hit every genre of music. I was like, "Let's do a hip-hop record!" I was trying to stay away from songs that had a really low range because people would recognize me right off. In my group Xscape, I always sing the really low parts.

Some of your clues were kind of heartbreaking, especially the one where you said you get scared standing alone after facing rejection.

I started in the music industry in a group. We had three successful albums together. You never know how people will feel about you once you're outside of your group. Stepping away from it and doing something on your own is very scary, for me especially.

Where did the Night Angel idea come from?

That was them. At first I was actually supposed to be a different costume. They gave me a couple options when they first offered me the opportunity to be on the show. I had picked a different costume out of the three and though I wasn't sure, I was like, "Okay, this should be cool." And then they came back and were like, "Actually, we have this other one that if you want to try it." When I saw it, I was like, "Oh, I gotta have that one. That's me. That's me all day."

Now that you've watched the show, who were you most surprised to see get eliminated before you?

So many people. I'm a huge fan of Chaka Khan, Dionne Warwick. These are legends. I was like, "How did I get put in this whole competition with them?" And then when I saw Lil Wayne was in this competition I thought, "Okay, if Lil Wayne is in this competition, I can't even imagine who else is in." I was always kind of worried. I don't get to see any of the other people perform. But one time I did happen to hear the Frog practicing. I knew who he was immediately.

Is this a game-changer for you?

I think it's a boost of confidence. I didn't know I was going to win. Of course, you would love to win. I guess in my mind I wasn't totally sure. I wasn't totally confident about it. You just go in there and do your best. There's no limit to what you can accomplish. Like, stop psyching yourself out. Stop getting in your own head, telling yourself what you can't do. Those are the things that I say to other people. This show made me apply that to my own life.

Now that her gig on Fox is over, Burruss has released a new single, "Used to Love Me," which also features Todrick Hall and Precious. Written and produced by Burruss, with Hall, Jonathan Henry, Jay-O, and Roderick Lawrence, the song is described as a "fusion of dance and pop sounds with undercurrents of Kandi's R&B roots."

https://ew.com/tv/the-masked-singer-...ner-interview/

post #197 of 198 Old 05-22-2020, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Bow Wow Did The Masked Singer to Silence His Haters: 'Now They Have to Give Me Props'

Frog took third place in the Fox singing competition

This story contains spoilers for Wednesday's season 3 finale of The Masked Singer.

Frog hip-hopped to The Masked Singer season 3 finale, in which he was unmasked as rapper and TV personality Bow Wow. And although he finished in third place, Bow Wow beat out 15 other celebrities along the way and rediscovered his love for performing.

"My tour, the Millenium tour, we were kicking it off right after The Masked Singer, so I felt like this was the perfect opportunity for me to kind of get a little rehearsal in before the tour started, get on the stage and get in front of a crowd," Bow Wow, 33, tells PEOPLE. "I haven’t toured here in the States in a couple of years, so it was the perfect opportunity."

The "Shortie Like Mine" singer, who rescheduled his tour due to coronavirus concerns, reveals that his passion for performing waned as he ventured into television with hosting gigs on 106 and Park and RnB Friday Nights. Bow Wow (born Shad Gregory Moss) appreciated the stability a TV production schedule offered — and the paychecks that came with it.

"Because I've been famous since I was 13, I was like, I wish I could have the money but I wish that I could go and enjoy the things that I've worked hard for," he says. "In the music business, it's like the Wild Wild West. It's all over the place. Once I got with TV hosting, I was like, I can now sell my brand. And I'm like, damn, the money is crazy. I don't have to run around and go to city after city after city [on tour] and miss stuff with my daughter. I don't necessarily have to do music. I get to have a sense of normal in my life for once."

Below, Bow Wow talks re-focusing on music, using The Masked Singer to clap back at haters and whether fans will see a glimpse of Frog's dance moves once he heads out on tour.
Why did you want to do the show?

I wanted to do The Masked Singer because I felt like the perfect opportunity for me to showcase my skills, showcase my talent, and just remind the world that I’m still that dude and pretty much, I can do anything. It also gave me a chance to have freedom. I love to dance. That’s something I don’t do as Bow Wow as much in my performances. So I was able to incorporate some dance and things that I do at home and really just be free. [I got to] do something I love, which is music, but also I had the chance to get back in shape and get back into artist mode, and that’s what I needed.

Will you incorporate choreography into your future shows?

I don’t think so. Maybe in a music video for like a special one-time thing just because I know after being unmasked, it’s going to be even more crazy with the tweeting and the trolling and the, “Oh, you’re the Frog." I’m the Frog forever. I think people are going to run with that, so I know I’m going to have to give them this one more sneak peek at him without the mask and let them see that it’s real and let them know that it’s not a stunt double underneath that [costume] doing everything for me. So eventually I might try to pull it off in a video.

You talked in some clue packages about having haters and being trolled online and you even poked fun at the #BowWowChallenge . What has it been like dealing the social media criticism?

I mean, I've always been able to, if I do it, then laugh at it. That’s always been my whole thing. I never really fed into what people have to say. It was all about, let’s go in here [to The Masked Singer] with the attitude of, let's make everybody whoever had something crazy to say, now they have to give me props. You made it this far rapping and going up against strong vocalists. What can you say now? There's nothing you can say. For me it was about, let’s shut ‘em up. Let’s shut 'em up and let’s get out here and use all that stuff as fuel and do what we came to.

You also said you wanted to win for your 9-year-old daughter Shai. Did she know you were doing the show?

With my daughter it was tough because she's already a fan of the show. She was going to watch season 3 even if Daddy wasn't on it. One thing about her, she's very loyal and she never told anyone. Grandma and Grandma [were] guessing me. She would just be like, "Believe what you want to believe, Grandma." I was proud of her. She’s really me. I'm Big Bow Wow finally. That's Lil Bow Wow.

Did season 1 winner T-Pain, who you've worked with previously, encourage you to do the show?

I had no conversations with T-Pain whatsoever, although I did get a DM from T-Pain with a frog emoji and I did not respond to it. I think he thought because we're cool off the grid that I would reply back to him but nah, man. I don't want to mess up anything. It was definitely hard. Me and Jordyn Woods are really good friends. It was hard watching her being revealed. It sucks when you hear somebody who you know who you've worked with and you're that close with and you're both in the same city and you can't hang out. It's weird. Once everything is over it's going to be a great time to go back and laugh and talk to everyone.

You did Roll Bounce with host Nick Cannon, too!

Nick knew right off the bat. As I walked on the stage, Nick knew. And there was no hiding at that point.

Do you think you’ll lean back into music now?

Absolutely. With the Millennium tour — me and Omarion's tour — for me to come back years later with no new record and to put 17-18,000 people in these arenas, I can't let them down. Once I saw that I said, there's an avenue there for new music. They came out for the classics but I can't give up now. I can't give up on these people. So I'm looking at dropping two projects before I even consider walking away. When I do get to the point when I want to retire from music, it's not that I'm retired from music, it's just that I don't have to make any new music. I don't have to buckle down for four months and do an album, I can do a verse with somebody or I can always tour. I have a catalog. Performing music, I will never leave it.

How do you look back on those years of early fame?

I look back on things like, damn, I wish I knew what I knew now back then. I think that would be the biggest thing looking back like, dang I wish I took more control of this and I had done that song or things like that. A lot of "I wish" moments. But then again, I'm here, I'm blessed and still doing what I love to do. I wouldn't trade it for nothing.

Last year was a publicly challenging year for you with the arrest and the Wendy Williams flub — how you reflect on those incidents and what have you learned?

Every experience in life you learn from it. For me I've always stood by, I am who I am. Sometimes with the media, they have to make things look like that, and I totally get it. I wouldn't have signed up for this business if I wasn't ready to take that head-on. We all make our mistakes and you learn from them and you get back on track. I've kind of already laid down that foundation in Hollywood and through the business. There's nothing negative anyone can say about me when it comes to work. There's still a sense of trust when it comes to me and people still want to do business with me and I think that once people see The Masked Singer, it's just going to bring a whole new life into it. I've been quiet, and I've been working, and I've just been staying focused and learning from my mistakes, learning from social media, learning from showing people too much. It's all about the work now and having fun.

https://people.com/tv/frog-says-his-...-quiet-haters/

post #198 of 198 Old 05-22-2020, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Definitely the most "Meh" finale of the 3 seasons. Did Nick really say to Bow Wow that he was the first rapper to make the finals? Umm, T-Pain anyone?

Turtle was definitely the best singer of the three, but that doesn't mean anything on this show. The way Robin went on about this Kandi, you would think she was the biggest name ever. Can honestly say I never heard of her.
WilliamR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page