The Irishman- Netflix (Scorsese + De Niro + Pacino) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #61 of 119 Old 11-30-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2266 Post(s)
Liked: 3187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Seriously, why would they ""bury" a body vs throwing in a vat of molten steel/metal/blast furnace, for example? I assume there would be zero remains (evidence) if discarded in such a fashion (fully incinerated) (?) Or "normal cremation (Pulling a "favor") then mixing ashes into a concrete mix/etc
Either is plausible. Commented re: parking lot before wife and I viewed it today; agree it's on par w/Godfather. One flaw is no professional would drive a 14 year old Chevy to a meeting at Umberto's.

Edit - Gallo was murdered in '72, not '80, making the 65 Chevy more contemporary.

Last edited by bmcn; 12-03-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 119 Old 11-30-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
To me this isn't even close to Goodfellas let alone The Godfather, this will join to some of Marty's films of which I never bothered to watch beyond the initial viewing, oh well.
iamian likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #63 of 119 Old 11-30-2019, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1687 Post(s)
Liked: 1379
^^^
Yep that's the feedback I'm hearing and reading about.

And there's nothing I like better than a good ol mob movie.

These are just my opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 119 Old 11-30-2019, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Give me Endgame
lax01 likes this.
post #65 of 119 Old 11-30-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post
^^^
Yep that's the feedback I'm hearing and reading about.

Let's read yours.
post #66 of 119 Old 11-30-2019, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post
Let's read yours.
I heard it's boring from family member.

Loved the Godfather 1 and 2 like you said.

It might be awhile before I watch it I catch them on the movie channels on cable.

BTW: 3 and a half hour movie keep your attention? When it's good it's a breeze?

Last edited by oldcband; 11-30-2019 at 07:20 PM.
post #67 of 119 Old 11-30-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It might be awhile before I watch it I catch them on the movie channels on cable.
As mentioned, it's a character study, not an action film, with historical context, accurately portrayed or not. C'mon, spring for 30 days of Netflix at no cost.

It was riveting and nuanced, even after the ending became obvious with an hour to go. Needed a scorecard or flowchart to keep track of everyone. I had no foreknowledge of this theory of Hoffa's demise; perhaps ignorance was bliss in this instance.

Off the top of my head, it's the best new movie I've viewed since No Country for Old Men.
Rgb and TitusTroy like this.

Last edited by bmcn; 11-30-2019 at 07:44 PM.
post #68 of 119 Old 11-30-2019, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Movie was good, not great.

I watched in 3 parts and was engrossed for the most part, it may have dragged a little at the end. I give it 7 or so and not in top 200 films ever.

I do believe it's the only movie over 3 hours that received such a huge push at launch.

Stuckman reviews it well

77C8PUA ~ Media room
75XBR900F ~ Game room
55XBR900E ~ Bedroom
post #69 of 119 Old 11-30-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As mentioned, it's a character study, not an action film, with historical context, accurately portrayed or not. C'mon, spring for 30 days of Netflix at no cost.

It was riveting and nuanced, even after the ending became obvious with an hour to go. Needed a scorecard or flowchart to keep track of everyone. I had no foreknowledge of this theory of Hoffa's demise; perhaps ignorance was bliss in this instance.

Off the top of my head, it's the best new movie I've viewed since No Country for Old Men.
Now I love all the movies you mentioned. Huge Coen Bros fan and Marty for the most part.

Hoffa with Jack was a favorite of mine too.

My brother had the length issue of it.

When I see it it, could be right up my alley.

Last edited by oldcband; 12-01-2019 at 05:53 AM.
post #70 of 119 Old 11-30-2019, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...Hoffa with Jack was a favorite of mine too.

My brother had the length issue of it.

When I see it it, could be right up my alley.

As mentioned, completely historically accurate or not, at times it's cleverly nuanced.

Now glad I didn't view it in a theater. Numerous breaks and replays of missed or critical dialog made it more entertaining.

Just see it.
oldcband likes this.
post #71 of 119 Old 11-30-2019, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5144 Post(s)
Liked: 4605
Quote:

BTW: 3 and a half hour movie keep your attention? When it's good it's a breeze?
sounds like Michael Bay movies are more your cup of tea...to each his own...I read an article earlier today regarding this and it seems applicable to you...

"It's a throwback to when films relied on acting and a tight story to keep the audience engaged...The Irishman is a three and a half hour, dialogue-driven film with scarce action sequences...The spectacle of it is the actual performance of the actors...the slow-burn story is superbly written....With tons of atmosphere, it grabs hold and drags you deep into the seedy world these characters lived in...Which leads me to my point...

Have we become so used to high-end special effects and giant CGI explosions on the screen that we can no longer enjoy an in-depth character study with more nuanced and intimate performances?...Is a strong actor with a phenomenal script no longer enough to hold our attention, without the "oohs and awes" of a major Hollywood blockbuster?...Does one take away from the other, or can they co-exist?"
Rgb likes this.
post #72 of 119 Old 12-01-2019, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked: 2509
Guess I am in the minority here, didn't enjoy this at all. Not my kind of movie I guess. To much talking and reminiscing, the constant time jumping didn't help either. When they were getting to something good they would just let us hear the action in the background and then show us the aftermath in a still frame black and white like photo. The casting was impressive and acted VERY well but I found the story boring in the beginning and I could not recover from the first half pacing.

post #73 of 119 Old 12-01-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just see it.
You can bet on it this is my kind of movie.

I don't know about Godfather quality that's the greatest movie EVER.

I don't have Netflix so just have to look into it.

Fixed it.

Last edited by oldcband; 12-01-2019 at 02:29 PM.
post #74 of 119 Old 12-01-2019, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 7386 Post(s)
Liked: 8266
I’d also add in addition to the movie being excellent, the PQ on Netflix was superb.
Don S and shivaji like this.
post #75 of 119 Old 12-01-2019, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have Prime so just have to look into it.
let me know when you find this on Amazon Prime Video...don't forget to take your vitamins
post #76 of 119 Old 12-02-2019, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't have Netflix so just have to look into it.
you should start up a GoFundMe crowdfunding campaign to raise the $14 you need to get Netflix for a month...I'm sure people will be donating like crazy...but first you should upgrade from that B&W TV of yours
shivaji and bmcn like this.
post #77 of 119 Old 12-02-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^
Trolling me TT?
shivaji and bmcn like this.

post #78 of 119 Old 12-02-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^^^
Trolling me TT?

TT doesn't cry.
oldcband likes this.
post #79 of 119 Old 12-02-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 811
This was an incredible movie with some of the best character development of any film I've ever seen. Scorcese doesn't fear silence or the pregnant pause. He doesn't mind letting a conversation flush itself out like in real life, even if that means you have to watch a 3 1/2 hour movie.

Anyone telling you this wasn't a good film.....well, let's just say I seriously question their capacity to know the difference. I've learned not to overestimate people's ability to understand what they're watching.

Pacino was perfectly cast for a role that begs for his mannerisms and style. The man knows how to get more out of a script by reciting the lines with inflections and cadence that most don't read on the page. He played it perfectly.

DeNiro was DeNiro, economic with his words and convincing with his expressions and eyes. Keitel was effective and understated, and Anna Paquin played the pain and anguish without barely saying a word. All tremendous performances.

But the movie was stolen by Joe Pesci, who reminded us just how incredible of an actor he is. He played a vicious psychopath into a likable and almost sympathetic character at times. Just brilliant.

Obviously, this movie meant everything to Scorcese, who's been planning it for years. The conclusive events seemed plausible, and probably closer to the truth than otherwise. The ending was fitting and palpable.

It's great to see these great actors be great again.
karlsch, Tack, oldcband and 2 others like this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #80 of 119 Old 12-02-2019, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I found this to be good, not great, overly and needlessly long. My biggest gripe was in the casting of DeNiro, oddly enough. I didn't for a second buy him as an Irishman from Philly. He was doing his now-familiar New York/New Jersey Italian mob character. He didn't even sound like he was from Philly, he had the wrong accent the entire time.

I thought Pacino was great as Hoffa, and I really enjoyed Pesci, who played the polar opposite of his character in Goodfellas (I movie I just loathe).
thehun, iamian and bmcn like this.

David Forbes

My theater
post #81 of 119 Old 12-02-2019, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4847 Post(s)
Liked: 6524
This movie reminded me of the Gandalf quote in LOTR l. This movie is not too long, nor is it too short. It is precisely as long as it needs to be.
post #82 of 119 Old 12-03-2019, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
I found this to be good, not great, overly and needlessly long. My biggest gripe was in the casting of DeNiro, oddly enough. I didn't for a second buy him as an Irishman from Philly. He was doing his now-familiar New York/New Jersey Italian mob character. He didn't even sound like he was from Philly, he had the wrong accent the entire time.

I thought Pacino was great as Hoffa, and I really enjoyed Pesci, who played the polar opposite of his character in Goodfellas (I movie I just loathe).

I just gotta ask....why do you "loathe" Goodfellas?

The Irishman gave me a similar feeling as the Deadwood movie did. I enjoyed it but it felt like a reunion. It was bitter sweet for me and felt like an end of an era.

I thought Pesci stole the show and is the only person involved in the film to warrant a nomination of any kind.
IAH likes this.
post #83 of 119 Old 12-03-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
sounds like Michael Bay movies are more your cup of tea...to each his own...I read an article earlier today regarding this and it seems applicable to you...

"It's a throwback to when films relied on acting and a tight story to keep the audience engaged...The Irishman is a three and a half hour, dialogue-driven film with scarce action sequences...The spectacle of it is the actual performance of the actors...the slow-burn story is superbly written....With tons of atmosphere, it grabs hold and drags you deep into the seedy world these characters lived in...Which leads me to my point...

Have we become so used to high-end special effects and giant CGI explosions on the screen that we can no longer enjoy an in-depth character study with more nuanced and intimate performances?...Is a strong actor with a phenomenal script no longer enough to hold our attention, without the "oohs and awes" of a major Hollywood blockbuster?...Does one take away from the other, or can they co-exist?"
While you didn't post this to me, I found the general reasoning you cite rather simple minded, art is art it either speaks to you or it doesn't there is no reason to divide viewers into some thin veiled insulting categories. I just watched the Crown SE 3 [which you declared a possible "snooze fest" without seeing] which is as character driven as anything out there and I loved it. SO I think I can keep my attention focused on the screen without CGI or explosions. This movie was simply too long not very well written since we are talking about dialog driven, there are several cringe worthy scenes which made me wonder if I'm watching grown men or bickering little boys. And of course as I said none of these characters are special or new in fact at this point they were cardboard thin as we have "seen them several times portrayed by the same actors".No it's not a terrible movie but it's no Goodfellas which is Marty's best in this genre, which he helped to create.

To those who haven't seen it, yes you should see it first before you write it off and make up your own mind afterwards.

The Hun
post #84 of 119 Old 12-03-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2335
A little too geriatricky...lol...but good none the less. Nothing will ever top Goodfellas though. Hilarious watching Tommy the tit from Snatch play the union official. Man, twenty years goes by fast.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
post #85 of 119 Old 12-03-2019, 12:00 PM
IAH

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe noche View Post
I just gotta ask....why do you "loathe" Goodfellas?

The Irishman gave me a similar feeling as the Deadwood movie did. I enjoyed it but it felt like a reunion. It was bitter sweet for me and felt like an end of an era.

I thought Pesci stole the show and is the only person involved in the film to warrant a nomination of any kind.

100% agree
post #86 of 119 Old 12-03-2019, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
While you didn't post this to me, I found the general reasoning you cite rather simple minded, art is art it either speaks to you or it doesn't there is no reason to divide viewers into some thin veiled insulting categories. I just watched the Crown SE 3 [which you declared a possible "snooze fest" without seeing] which is as character driven as anything out there and I loved it. SO I think I can keep my attention focused on the screen without CGI or explosions. This movie was simply too long not very well written since we are talking about dialog driven, there are several cringe worthy scenes which made me wonder if I'm watching grown men or bickering little boys. And of course as I said none of these characters are special or new in fact at this point they were cardboard thin as we have "seen them several times portrayed by the same actors".No it's not a terrible movie but it's no Goodfellas which is Marty's best in this genre, which he helped to create.

To those who haven't seen it, yes you should see it first before you write it off and make up your own mind afterwards.
the quoted parts in my post were from an article I read...I stated that in that same post...it wasn't my words exactly...seems like there's a section of people who found it 'boring' and the author of the article goes into his reasoning

here's another article from today which again shows the polarizing response to the film...

https://nypost.com/2019/12/03/go-ahe...n-is-terrible/

Last edited by TitusTroy; 12-03-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #87 of 119 Old 12-03-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked: 2509
‘The Irishman’ Named Best Film By National Board Of Review, Quentin Tarantino Wins Best Director

The National Board of Review named Martin Scorsese’s 3 1/2 hour $200M Netflix gangster epic The Irishman as best movie of the year. The win marks the first major win for the pic this season to date outside of Scorsese’s upcoming Palm Springs and Santa Barbara Film Festival honors.

https://deadline.com/2019/12/nationa...er-1202799514/

post #88 of 119 Old 12-03-2019, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
the quoted parts in my post were from an article I read...I stated that in that same post...it wasn't my words exactly...seems like there's a section of people who found it 'boring' and the author of the article goes into his reasoning

here's another article from today which again shows the polarizing response to the film...

https://nypost.com/2019/12/03/go-ahe...n-is-terrible/
The opening line was yours, which can be read in the same context the article you have quoted. Anyway my point remains.
Yeah I saw that article today and I don't agree that it should be polarizing as the author suggest it as I neither hated or loved it. Having said that some of her criticism of the film is spot on.

The Hun
post #89 of 119 Old 12-04-2019, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 14366
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
A little too geriatricky...lol...but good none the less. Nothing will ever top Goodfellas though. Hilarious watching Tommy the tit from Snatch play the union official. Man, twenty years goes by fast.
Yes, I like him. I had just seen him while watching Line Of Duty a couple weeks ago. It was fun seeing other "veterans" of the Sopranos, Brotherhood, etc, too.

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
post #90 of 119 Old 12-04-2019, 03:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 14366
Overall I really enjoyed the movie. What impressed me the most was Pacino stealing the show. Although, for me, the movie still takes a back seat to Goodfellas and Casino in terms of script, acting. etc. I view this movie as an excellent "farewell", so to speak.

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page