His Dark Materials- BBC + HBO - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #61 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
I don't know. I've watched all the episodes to date, and I'm still on the fence with this show. It has all the important elements of a big prestige series, but the way it plays out just makes everything feel kind of silly. I have a really hard time buying into this universe.

And Lyn Manuel-Miranda is pretty much terrible at playing a Han Solo lovable rogue. He's not convincing in the slightest.
danlshane likes this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 972
I'm liking it a lot more than Watchmen.

I don't know if they have a big budget. I guess not every character is shown with his or her daemon.

Interesting steampunk world building.
post #63 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 11:04 AM

Here's a question I haven't seen answered in the series yet: If every human is bonded to an animal companion, are all animals in this world daemons, or are some just regular non-talking animals? In either case, wouldn't you expect humans in this world to have a very different relationship to the animal kingdom than we do in ours? Probably the most disturbing thing I've seen in this series is a scene where Lyra had sausages for breakfast.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I read on another forum that there are real animals.

Supposedly they showed a scene of the Gyptians with dogs which are not daemons.

But that made people wonder if daemons would be vulnerable to bigger predators, making the humans they're linked to vulnerable as well.

Boreal killed that reporter who warned Lyra at the party by snuffing out her butterfly daemon. I don't know if there are natural predators to butterflies but seems like it would be vulnerable. Plus don't they have to fly south for summer?

Are these Gyptians taking their daemons which are not suited to arctic environment?

One daemon was a mouse so a house cat could kill it.

Maybe the books don't really get too deep into the implications of real animals and daemons.
post #65 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I read on another forum that there are real animals.

Supposedly they showed a scene of the Gyptians with dogs which are not daemons.
I mean, we saw a bunch of dogs running around with the Gyptians, but how do we know they weren't daemons?

Josh Z

post #66 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 02:24 PM

I also find it interesting that this show pronounces the word as "demons" while I'm pretty sure it was pronounced "day-mons" in the Golden Compass movie. I wonder which is intended in the books.

Josh Z

post #67 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I mean, we saw a bunch of dogs running around with the Gyptians, but how do we know they weren't daemons?
I think the dogs were leashed?

But also it's suppose to be a thing that daemons and humans can't be too far apart. So it may be a difficult thing for humans who have dolphins for instance.

What is suppose to make Coulter special is that she can be far apart from that monkey. She may have had some special procedure done to allow that.

Quote:
I also find it interesting that this show pronounces the word as "demons" while I'm pretty sure it was pronounced "day-mons" in the Golden Compass movie. I wonder which is intended in the books.
Maybe it's an American vs. British thing, though the show is produced in the UK.
post #68 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I think the dogs were leashed?
Were they? The Gyptians don't strike me as people who would leash dogs.

Quote:
But also it's suppose to be a thing that daemons and humans can't be too far apart. So it may be a difficult thing for humans who have dolphins for instance.

What is suppose to make Coulter special is that she can be far apart from that monkey. She may have had some special procedure done to allow that.
I haven't read the books, but I have seen the Golden Compass movie. Since this show is sort-of a remake, I guess the following would count as a spoiler.

Spoiler!

Quote:
Maybe it's an American vs. British thing, though the show is produced in the UK.
The movie made a point of trying to water down some of Philip Pullman's anti-church and anti-religion views. I wouldn't be surprised if the filmmakers intentionally changed the pronunciation to avoid the implication that "demons" were considered good and helpful things in this universe.

Josh Z

post #69 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7230 Post(s)
Liked: 16437
I’ve only seen the movie once, when it first was released way back. Don’t remember much, but recall thinking it was just meh. This show however I’m quite enjoying. As for “ daemon” if I were reading the book, the way it’s spelled I’d pronounce it day-mon. Caught me off guard the first few times they said demon. I’m like, what’d I miss? Lol

post #70 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5126 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
I'm behind I'm my HBO programming...been busy with other things...I need to start Watchmen and His Dark Materials soon...I'm missing out on the week-to-week discussion/speculation
post #71 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 770
I am enjoying this much more than the Golden Compass movie. What a difference in storytelling and acting.
post #72 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I am enjoying this much more than the Golden Compass movie. What a difference in storytelling and acting.
a TV series done right will always be better then a movie version...a 2 hour movie has to rush through everything...a TV show can take its time
post #73 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I enjoyed "The Golden Compass" and enjoy "His Dark Materials" as well...but the character Lyra is irritating as can be. I find myself rooting for the antagonist lol.
I've watched the first two episodes thus far and look forward to the next...but Lyra...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #74 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6626 Post(s)
Liked: 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

I agree, I’ve really been enjoying the show quite a bit. This and Watchmen are a nice one two Sunday/Monday lineup.
Sharp1080 likes this.
post #75 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lyra gets better as the show progresses but she is a petulant child and looks like she's used to getting her way since there's no parent who's been setting boundaries.

She seemed to like learning who her father is but learning the identity of her mother rolled right off her shoulders and she still sees her as the enemy.
post #76 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4844 Post(s)
Liked: 6508
Whenever I see "daemon" I always think of the virtual drive program. Good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
a TV series done right will always be better then a movie version...a 2 hour movie has to rush through everything...a TV show can take its time
I think it's possible but I wouldn't say always. Not all movies have to rush though everything, and some TV series stretch a two hour story into weeks and weeks.

Some time back, poster @Scott Simonian had some strong views on the subject and made some really good points. It is in a TV series interest to stretch things out. Personally I think it's a 50/50 proposition. Thank goodness for the series template when it comes to something like Band of Brothers, GOT, or Breaking Bad.

On the other hand, some of these series could tighten the belt and tell a better, more focused story.

There are movies that are perfect as is, and would suffer from more exposition. IMO.
post #77 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I think it's possible but I wouldn't say always. Not all movies have to rush though everything, and some TV series stretch a two hour story into weeks and weeks.

Some time back, poster @Scott Simonian had some strong views on the subject and made some really good points. It is in a TV series interest to stretch things out. Personally I think it's a 50/50 proposition. Thank goodness for the series template when it comes to something like Band of Brothers, GOT, or Breaking Bad.

On the other hand, some of these series could tighten the belt and tell a better, more focused story.

There are movies that are perfect as is, and would suffer from more exposition. IMO.
I was referring to mostly TV/movies based on book adaptations...even in the best movies you will have to cut out a lot of material...the LOTR movies did a pretty amazing job but we've never seen what could happen if they did a TV adaptation...
post #78 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I’ve only seen the movie once, when it first was released way back. Don’t remember much, but recall thinking it was just meh. This show however I’m quite enjoying. As for “ daemon” if I were reading the book, the way it’s spelled I’d pronounce it day-mon. Caught me off guard the first few times they said demon. I’m like, what’d I miss? Lol

The biggest failing of the movie (which I agree was pretty mediocre) is that it tried to condense the entire book into a feature film length and wound up racing from plot point to plot point with characters constantly blurting out exposition. The TV series has an advantage in giving the characters and the story time to breathe a little. Unfortunately, that also gives me time to think about how ridiculous the concept and a lot of the plotting is.

Josh Z

post #79 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I was referring to mostly TV/movies based on book adaptations...even in the best movies you will have to cut out a lot of material...the LOTR movies did a pretty amazing job but we've never seen what could happen if they did a TV adaptation...

There have been plenty of crappy book-to-TV adaptations. Hello, Under the Dome!
lax01 and WilliamR like this.

Josh Z

post #80 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There have been plenty of crappy book-to-TV adaptations. Hello, Under the Dome!
yes but that's wasn't the original point...it was comparing books made into movies and TV shows...TV has more room to explore the nuances, side characters etc...movies have to get to the point fast and wrap it up
post #81 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
yes but that's wasn't the original point...it was comparing books made into movies and TV shows...TV has more room to explore the nuances, side characters etc...movies have to get to the point fast and wrap it up

True, but at the same time, TV shows often have to pad their stories with filler content to stretch out their seasons, especially if they get renewed for multiple seasons.

Josh Z

post #82 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well it sounds like GoT skips over a lot of the books.
post #83 of 96 Old 11-26-2019, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4844 Post(s)
Liked: 6508
Quote:
Counting the extended editions, that's all the LOTR I'll ever want or need. Maybe more. I loved Jurassic park the book as much as I loved the movie. The movie got in and got out. About as perfect as a movie can be. A series with that cast would have been a downgrade IMO. Long strolls in the woods are good, and fast roller coaster rides are good. Combining their strengths won't always result in something superior.
post #84 of 96 Old 11-27-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Quote:
And they changed things around that happened in the book. Sometimes taking things directly from the source material (e.g. a book) doesn't always work on the small (or big) screen. Reading a novel you are much more invested, on TV you have 50 minutes or so to convey the same thing, people are more "into" characters based on looks, actions, etc. The audience bonds differently with shows and movies than in a book.

post #85 of 96 Old 11-27-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
They also just completely forgot about every single character's motivations and philosophy in the final two seasons...

Girlfriend is out on HDM - I'm still in it - its a well-made show (pretty slow moving)...I think things finally started to pick up pace last episode (and I actually like Lin Manuel)

Josh
post #86 of 96 Old 11-29-2019, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Well the best thing i love about His Dark Materials is Ruth Wilson character. It is often difficult for adaptations to obtain characters like Mrs. Coulter, because I think that some roles require actors who already have the same gravity as the character they play. I was afraid that they could not care less about projecting someone who lacks the magnetism required by the character, but they did. Ruth is easily the best thing about this show. I highly recommend that people who do not like the first episodes continue watching His Dark Materials online they will surely fell in love.
post #87 of 96 Old 11-30-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by shobian View Post
Well the best thing i love about His Dark Materials is Ruth Wilson character. It is often difficult for adaptations to obtain characters like Mrs. Coulter, because I think that some roles require actors who already have the same gravity as the character they play. I was afraid that they could not care less about projecting someone who lacks the magnetism required by the character, but they did. Ruth is easily the best thing about this show. I highly recommend that people who do not like the first episodes continue watching His Dark Materials online they will surely fell in love.
Assuming you probably have...but if you are a fan of Ruth, I definitely suggest you watch Luther
Sharp1080 and Keenan like this.

Josh
post #88 of 96 Old 11-30-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4070 Post(s)
Liked: 3792
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Assuming you probably have...but if you are a fan of Ruth, I definitely suggest you watch Luther
You can see a lot of "Alice Morgan" in the character of "Mrs. Coulter".
lax01 likes this.
post #89 of 96 Old 12-02-2019, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
As for “ daemon” if I were reading the book, the way it’s spelled I’d pronounce it day-mon. Caught me off guard the first few times they said demon.
"AE" is a European diphthong. It should be pronounced as a long "e", just as it is in "encyclopaedia" and "Caesar."

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #90 of 96 Old 12-02-2019, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7230 Post(s)
Liked: 16437
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
"AE" is a European diphthong. It should be pronounced as a long "e", just as it is in "encyclopaedia" and "Caesar."
Diphthong! Those are illegal in 49 of the 50 states. And Canada too. You can still find them in Amsterdam and certain parts of Mexico. In fact, I know a guy... perhaps I’ve said too much...
Keenan, allargon and danlshane like this.

Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming