His Dark Materials- BBC + HBO - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #91 of 96 Old 12-03-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 136
In episode 5, Will's character was introduced. Since he is a major character in the Subtle Knife, the series takes a different arc from The Golden Compass. So far, I'm enjoying this one as I try to finish TMITHC this week. Coming up next is the finale of Vikings which is stretching too long.

Overall, I found the HBO or major network format of releasing one episode per week is a much better entertainment format for me to digest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 Old 12-06-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked: 3401
I'm really struggling with this show. I had a hard time staying awake through this week's episode. I saw that Lyra got kidnapped at the end. Did anything else important happen?

I found it odd that the Lin Manuel-Miranda character suddenly seems to be a father figure for Lyra when they hardly know each other, but it's very possible that I may have zoned out and missed some important interaction between them.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #93 of 96 Old 12-06-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I'm really struggling with this show. I had a hard time staying awake through this week's episode. I saw that Lyra got kidnapped at the end. Did anything else important happen?

I found it odd that the Lin Manuel-Miranda character suddenly seems to be a father figure for Lyra when they hardly know each other, but it's very possible that I may have zoned out and missed some important interaction between them.
Nope you didn't.

And I'm trying to figure out rules for Daemon's and the relationships to their humans. Do they represent yin and/or yang? Do other humans hear them talking because they sure are talkative in bad situations. How is the final form chosen? Why do some of them pick weak forms when clearly other daemons can kill them?

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 96 Old 12-06-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked: 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
And I'm trying to figure out rules for Daemon's and the relationships to their humans. Do they represent yin and/or yang? Do other humans hear them talking because they sure are talkative in bad situations. How is the final form chosen? Why do some of them pick weak forms when clearly other daemons can kill them?
To that end, why do the humans bother fighting each other when it would be much easier to just stomp on someone's daemon to incapacitate or kill them?

As far as I can tell, the polar bears are not daemons, just talking animals. This again suggests to me that all or most animals in this world are sentient, and makes it all the more troubling when we see the humans eating meat.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #95 of 96 Old 12-06-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked: 1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
This again suggests to me that all or most animals in this world are sentient, and makes it all the more troubling when we see the humans eating meat.
Maybe sentience adds more flavor to the meat?
lax01 likes this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #96 of 96 Old 12-06-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2455 Post(s)
Liked: 973
No they have to have daemons I think Some of the show runners apparently explained that they couldn't afford the CGI or the puppets to show all daemons on the screen at the same time in some scenes.

Also in this last episode, with Iorek taking Lyra to discover Billy in that abandoned village, they blew out the budget animating Iorek for all those scenes so Pan isn't on screen as much.

Not all daemons are so vulnerable to humans it seems. IN fact some like Boreal's snake is menacing.

Lyra has spoken to Farder Coram's daemon and I think others have heard Pan speak.

The bird which is leading them seems to be a daemon of the witch Sarafina and can be far away from her, which is not the case for the humans and their daemons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page