His Dark Materials- BBC + HBO - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #1 of 96 Old 02-25-2019, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5124 Post(s)
Liked: 4569
His Dark Materials- BBC + HBO

The BBC has dropped the first teaser for its forthcoming eight-part adaptation of Sir Philip Pullman's beloved fantasy trilogy, His Dark Materials...first published in 1995, the three books in the series are Northern Lights (or The Golden Compass as it’s known to American readers), The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass...the novels follow the adventures of Lyra Belacqua and William Parry as they explore parallel universes and encounter a host of fantastical characters, including animal soul companions known as daemons, armoured polar bears, angels, and witches...in the first book Lyra’s search for a kidnapped friend uncovers a sinister plot involving stolen children and becomes a quest to understand a mysterious phenomenon called Dust

Dafne Keen (Logan) plays Lyra, with James McAvoy as her uncle Lord Asriel and Ruth Wilson as Marisa Coulter...Lin-Manuel Miranda also appears as Texan explorer Lee Scoresby...The Golden Compass was made into a feature film in 2007, starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig...the film was meant to kick-start a trilogy, but poor box office performance and mixed reviews effectively killed any franchise hopes

a joint production between the BBC, HBO and New Line Cinema (with HBO getting the US distribution rights) the series has already received a 2 season commitment...Season 1 will debut later this year...

Ph8te likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 Old 05-17-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
post #3 of 96 Old 05-17-2019, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6622 Post(s)
Liked: 6438
This looks very good and if the story matches the VFX shown in the trailer HBO could have another hit on their hands.
TitusTroy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 96 Old 05-17-2019, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I read the books a couple of decades ago. They were fantastic and should make a great series. I thought the movie was pretty good. The cast was fantastic.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #5 of 96 Old 05-17-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 320
It seems as if James McAvoy is in everything these days.
post #6 of 96 Old 05-17-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2450 Post(s)
Liked: 972
When?

Ruth Wilson bailed on The Affair for this.
post #7 of 96 Old 05-17-2019, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4444 Post(s)
Liked: 3374
The teasers don't give a lot to judge by, but it looks better than the Golden Compass movie, which I didn't think much of, personally. Even at just a glimpse, the polar bear looks a lot better than the Coke commercial rejects in the movie.
Ph8te likes this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #8 of 96 Old 05-17-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked: 1812
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
When?

Ruth Wilson bailed on The Affair for this.
She was great in Luther.

Have no clue what this show is about and the previews don't help a bit.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #9 of 96 Old 05-17-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
She was great in Luther.

If you have seen The Golden Compass you have “an idea”...
post #10 of 96 Old 05-17-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
It's a YA fantasy story about a world where everybody has a literal spirit animal that follows them around. The overarching plot is about a conspiracy involving a corrupt church.
daryl zero likes this.
post #11 of 96 Old 05-17-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked: 1812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
It's a YA fantasy story about a world where everybody has a literal spirit animal that follows them around. The overarching plot is about a conspiracy involving a corrupt church.
Wow. Do they have to clean up the spirit poop?

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #12 of 96 Old 05-17-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watchmen or His Dark Materials?
post #13 of 96 Old 05-17-2019, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
the world building looks excellent in that trailer...they did an amazing job in terms of the visuals and setting...HBO/BBC looks like they spent some $$ on the production...Lin-Manuel Miranda looks a bit out of place in this but maybe he is trying to become known for something other then Hamilton...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Watchmen or His Dark Materials?
both?...going by the trailers I'm getting more of a political vibe with Watchmen as far as using the superheroes as a metaphor for current events involving white nationalists etc...while Dark Materials looks more like straight fantasy escapism...I could be wrong but it's just my impression from the early teasers
Ben23 likes this.
post #14 of 96 Old 05-20-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Wow. Do they have to clean up the spirit poop?
Well, you know, magic...

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #15 of 96 Old 05-20-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
both?...going by the trailers I'm getting more of a political vibe with Watchmen as far as using the superheroes as a metaphor for current events involving white nationalists etc...while Dark Materials looks more like straight fantasy escapism...I could be wrong but it's just my impression from the early teasers
The His Dark Materials series is famous (or infamous) for having an anti-religion bent. The author is an atheist and the story comes down very hard on organized religion as a corrupting influence. This has led to it being denounced by evangelicals and blowhard politicians looking to score easy points with that crowd.

The Golden Compass movie tried to downplay this in an attempt to play to a wide audience, but the movie wasn't particularly good and it failed at the box office anyway. How the TV series will handle this aspect remains to be seen.

Josh Z

post #16 of 96 Old 05-20-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Josh Z, you've given more reasons to like this show. Thanks.
Josh Z and daryl zero like this.
post #17 of 96 Old 05-20-2019, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The His Dark Materials series is famous (or infamous) for having an anti-religion bent. The author is an atheist and the story comes down very hard on organized religion as a corrupting influence. This has led to it being denounced by evangelicals and blowhard politicians looking to score easy points with that crowd.

The Golden Compass movie tried to downplay this in an attempt to play to a wide audience, but the movie wasn't particularly good and it failed at the box office anyway. How the TV series will handle this aspect remains to be seen.
I'm expecting the HBO/BBC series to be a more faithful adaptation of the books...if religion plays a big part in the story then I don't expect HBO to shy away from it...
post #18 of 96 Old 07-18-2019, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Full Trailer...

Ph8te likes this.
post #19 of 96 Old 07-25-2019, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1980 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
‘His Dark Materials’ Creative Team Call Philip Pullman Adaptation “Challenging” But “Quintessential” HBO/BBC Co-Pro
By Peter White, Deadline.com - Jul. 24, 2019

The creative team behind His Dark Materials has called the Philip Pullman adaptation a “challenging” show to write but the “quintessential” HBO/BBC co-production.
Writer Jack Thorne and exec producer Jane Tranter, who runs production company Bad Wolf, spoke about the big-budget fantasy epic alongside stars including Dafne Keen, James McAvoy, Ruth Wilson and Lin-Manuel Miranda at its TCA press tour panel.

Thorne admitted that he wrote several dozens drafts for the first episode of the show, which is set to launch on HBO in October. “We wrote papers to ourselves about all the different ideas in the show. We wanted to do a Ph.D. in Phillip Pullman and we tried to do a Ph.D. in His Dark Materials. I wrote 46 drafts of episode one in order to find a way to tell this story as elegantly as possible. [Pullman’s] denseness is a blessing and a curse; it’s so exciting. Sometimes when you’re doing an adaptation of something there’s a moment when you know everything there is to know. With Phillip you never can. It’s a very challenging show to write but also glorious to write.”

Tranter secured an initial 16-episode run across two seasons for the adaptation of Pullman’s trilogy. She joked that she would have aimed for three seasons “if I hadn’t have thought it would look greedy.”

She said that one of the main reasons to produce 16 episodes at once – the show shot in Cardiff, Wales, where Bad Wolf is based – was down to working with child actors including Keen, who plays main character Lyra, a seemingly ordinary but brave young woman from another world.

“I think of it more as 16 episodes rather than two seasons because the end of the first novel is continuous with the second,” Tranter said, “and whilst you would have more of a gap — and God knows there’s whole teams in Cardiff that [want more of a gap] — as we move from one season to another we have children in the show and they grow up really quickly. They don’t look the same 12 months later and Lyra is the same age, so we had to find a way to turn the piece around quote quickly in order for that story to be told. There was a great thing in the book about a girl going through puberty and we wanted to be able to pace that out appropriately. That’s why HBO and the BBC went with us for 16 episodes.”

The former BBC drama chief called it a “quintessential” co-production between the British public broadcaster and the WarnerMedia premium cable network. “We started with the BBC because Philip Pullman is a [British] national treasure and the books are on the national curriculum and it felt right that it would have a place in the UK with one of its broadcasters. It [also] felt to us that we have premium cable performances and production values and that sense of glorious eccentricity to His Dark Materials is like no other, it felt very HBO to us and HBO and the BBC are very good partners,” she added.

The first season of His Dark Materials follows Lyra’s searching for a kidnapped friend. She uncovers a sinister plot involving stolen children and becomes a quest to understand a mysterious phenomenon called Dust. As she journeys through the worlds, including our own, Lyra meets a determined and courageous boy called Will (Amir Wilson). Together they encounter extraordinary beings and dangerous secrets, with the fate of both the living — and the dead — in their hands.

The cast of the drama also includes Anne-Marie Duff, Clarke Peters, Ariyon Bakare, Will Keen — father of young lead Dafne Keen — Ian Gelder, Georgina Campbell, Lucian Msamati, James Cosmo, Ruta Gedmintas, Mat Fraser, Geoff Bell, Simon Manyonda as well as young actors Lewin Lloyd, Daniel Frogson and Tyler Howitt.

Produced in association with New Line Cinema, the series is based on Pullman’s acclaimed trilogy of books: Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass — considered a modern masterpiece of imaginative fiction.

Thorne said that it’s largely one book per season. “There are a few treats I’ve stolen from future books that I’ve tried to infuse this season with,” he said. “The whole thing is looking at the three books and [asking] ‘how did Phillip think of them like and how can we celebrate them in the best possible’ and sometimes that’s celebration involved moving certain elements forward.”

Executive producing the series are Tranter, Pullman, Thorne, Dan McCulloch, Julie Gardner, Tom Hooper, Deborah Forte, Toby Emmerich and Carolyn Blackwood for New Line Cinema, and Ben Irving and Piers Wenger. Hooper is lead director of the big-budget adaptation and is helming the first two episodes.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/his-dar...al-1202653070/

post #20 of 96 Old 09-12-2019, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

His Dark Materials Gets November Premiere Date at HBO

His Dark Materials will lift off on Monday, Nov. 4th, HBO announced Thursday...

https://twitter.com/daemonsanddust/s...re-date-hbo%2F
post #21 of 96 Old 09-13-2019, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

How HBO's His Dark Materials dives deeper into Philip Pullman's fantasy novels

Jane Tranter, the champion of HBO and BBC’s His Dark Materials understands why the movie adaptation never took off...“Philip’s books are as deep as they are wide,” she explains. “They exist on many levels and they have a terrific breadth of location stories. That’s very hard for a film to capture.”...it’s this passion, channeled by Tranter, that ultimately sold HBO and the BBC in 2018 on granting an initial 16-episode order: eight for season 1 to tackle The Golden Compass and eight for season 2 (already in production) for the parallel-world plots of The Subtle Knife, the second book...the idea is to produce a third season for the trilogy’s capper, The Amber Spyglass, next...

https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/13/his-dar...ok-expansions/

good to know that Season 2 is already in production and a 3rd season is planned to wrap up the trilogy
post #22 of 96 Old 10-03-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
post #23 of 96 Old 10-03-2019, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
the trailer alone looks better then the movie...I'm guessing this is not getting the prime Sunday night slot because it's primarily a BBC original series...with streaming and VOD I guess the timeslot doesn't matter as much
post #24 of 96 Old 10-03-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
the trailer alone looks better then the movie...I'm guessing this is not getting the prime Sunday night slot because it's primarily a BBC original series...with streaming and VOD I guess the timeslot doesn't matter as much

This might also be the beginning of HBO moving to a 7 day a week type schedule (they were talking about this earlier in the year) as a test. If the show does well on Monday, it would lead to more premier type programming throughout the week. Going up against MNF will be difficult however (live viewing only).
post #25 of 96 Old 10-03-2019, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
This might also be the beginning of HBO moving to a 7 day a week type schedule (they were talking about this earlier in the year) as a test. If the show does well on Monday, it would lead to more premier type programming throughout the week. Going up against MNF will be difficult however (live viewing only).
HBO seems to like Mondays for shows where they only have the US distribution rights...My Brilliant Friend also aired on Mondays (excellent show)
Ph8te likes this.
post #26 of 96 Old 10-03-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4070 Post(s)
Liked: 3792
Quote:
HBO seems to like Mondays for shows where they only have the US distribution rights...My Brilliant Friend also aired on Mondays (excellent show)
The limited series "Our Boys" would fall into that category as well. It's excellent by the way.
post #27 of 96 Old 10-05-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Look forward to this series, after Chernobyl. The Last Czar did not do it for me. The movie Golden Compass only covered the 1st book, but the 2nd and 3rd (how the hell they are going to make this one?) could be really awesome.
post #28 of 96 Old 10-16-2019, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

His Dark Materials is definitely a better TV show than a movie

HBO delivers a thoughtful and adventurous adaptation of Philip Pullman’s challenging book series...

https://ew.com/tv-reviews/2019/10/16...ls-hbo-review/
post #29 of 96 Old 10-17-2019, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

His Dark Materials review: an adaption worth waiting for

the Philip Pullman adaptation is a rich family fantasy that retains the books’ dark power...this version also stands out for its casting, which is so far faultless...Dafne Keen, recognizable from the 2017 X-Men film Logan, plays main character Lyra with willfulness and spark...James McAvoy is terrific as her Byronic uncle Lord Asriel, while you’d call Ruth Wilson a revelation as the glamorous and mysterious Mrs. Coulter if she weren’t always this watchable...

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/his-...th-waiting-for
post #30 of 96 Old 10-17-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

HDM and Watchmen will be overlapping in a couple of weeks.

Guess HBO determined that a lot of comic book geeks subscribe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page