Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 6519
'See' on Apple TV+

IMDB
Drama, Sci-Fi | TV Series
Far in a dystopian future, the human race
has lost the sense of sight, and society has had
to find new ways to interact, build, hunt, and to survive.
All of that is challenged when a set of twins with sight is born.

Last edited by MrGrey; 09-10-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 03-25-2019, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 670
So is this like "First!" post or something? The concept actually sounded cool in Apple's demo today I think.
post #3 of 37 Old 03-25-2019, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 6519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
So is this like "First!" post or something? The concept actually sounded cool in Apple's demo today I think.

Nope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 09-10-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 2164
post #5 of 37 Old 09-10-2019, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4984 Post(s)
Liked: 4465
Apple TV+ is only $4.99 a month and comes with a free 1 year trial with any Apple purchase...good deal but I honestly don't like the family oriented type of programming they are going for...if a show comes along eventually that I like I have no problem giving it a go but as of now I have no interest in signing up

this new 'See' series has some nice production values...Apple looks like they spared no expense bringing this world to life...but I worry about the uplifting message they are trying to convey in all their shows...sounds like something Oprah would do...Disney+ is also going for a more family friendly approach but at least they have some established properties to build off of...in the end I think HBO MAX might be the best in terms of content because they are not worried about being family friendly or PG ratings...I prefer graphic language, nudity, sex, violence etc in my programming
post #6 of 37 Old 09-11-2019, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked: 2447
Looks pretty good, will have to check this out.

post #7 of 37 Old 10-28-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So the reviews for this do not look great .. :-/

Hollywood Report

Variety

Apple Insider

The Telegraph

TV Line

TV Guide

Collider
TitusTroy likes this.
post #8 of 37 Old 10-28-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked: 1795
This article compiles reviews for the four new Apple TV+ shows. Only Dickinson stands out as a possible hit.

Apple TV+ Launches on Friday, But Their Original Shows Are Getting Mixed Reviews
Dmon4u likes this.
post #9 of 37 Old 10-28-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
So the reviews for this do not look great .. :-/
reviews for all the new Apple+ shows are not all that amazing...I thought For All Mankind might get high marks but even that is getting average reviews...Dickinson is getting the most consistently positive word of mouth...not a good start for Apple TV+
Don S likes this.
post #10 of 37 Old 10-28-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
reviews for all the new Apple+ shows are not all that amazing...I thought For All Mankind might get high marks but even that is getting average reviews...Dickinson is getting the most consistently positive word of mouth...not a good start for Apple TV+

Agreed. I’m confident in “For All Mankind” though. I’d bet I’m gonna like that a lot. As for the others? Not so sure.

The Morning Show seems like it might end up as a #metoo preachy-type show. “See” looks good, despite these reviews, so I’m still interested. I guess we’ll see..
post #11 of 37 Old 10-28-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 11237
Hopefully the promise of Asimov's Foundation Trilogy will boost interest.
I am looking forward to this and it would be my reason to subscribe.
Don S likes this.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
post #12 of 37 Old 10-28-2019, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Have a new device so will check it out....as it’s free to me.

Home Theater System Denon X8500H, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, Polk RTi A1 Rear Heights, Polk 70RT Middle In-Ceiling, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, JVC DLA-RS1000, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, Panasonic UB9000, Dish Hopper 3
post #13 of 37 Old 10-28-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillihp23 View Post
Have a new device so will check it out....as it’s free to me.
same here...I'm buying an Apple TV 4K for Disney+...any new Apple purchase comes with a free year of Apple TV+ so I'll check out See and For All Mankind...I'm at least hoping for some reference quality 4K/Dolby Vision
post #14 of 37 Old 10-30-2019, 04:56 PM

SEE— First Look Featurette | Apple TV+

post #15 of 37 Old 10-30-2019, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 137
IMDB faq has someone asking why the costumes are so intricate if everyone is blind?

Boy oh boy, looks like we are in for a ton of hot garbage from these streaming services.
post #16 of 37 Old 10-31-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post
IMDB faq has someone asking why the costumes are so intricate if everyone is blind?
apparently the main plot has twin babies being born who can see...but if everyone else is blind how do they know that the babies have sight?
markmon1 likes this.
post #17 of 37 Old 10-31-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
apparently the main plot has twin babies being born who can see...but if everyone else is blind how do they know that the babies have sight?
Exactly.
post #18 of 37 Old 11-01-2019, 02:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 979
I needed a new iPad and grabbed up one of the $249 2018 leftovers while I could. Didn't even know about the free ATV+ offer, but bought it 2 days after the offer started, and sure enough the signup became active just a couple of hours ago.
post #19 of 37 Old 11-01-2019, 04:52 AM

since Apple TV+ went live a few hours ago, anyone watch any of the new shows?...more importantly, how's the 4K/Dolby Vision quality?...reference?...better then Netflix/Amazon?
post #20 of 37 Old 11-01-2019, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1915
^+1 Would like to know as well.
post #21 of 37 Old 11-01-2019, 05:33 AM

Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked: 2447
Lots of negative reviews out there. Here is one.

Talks about the opening scene/first episode so you might consider this spoilery.

***slight spoilers ahead***

See Review: Is Apple TV+'s Game of Thrones Wannabe Worth Watching?

It reportedly cost $15 million per episode

Last year, as Apple was lining up programming for its new streaming service, Apple TV+, reports emerged claiming its content offerings would largely be family-friendly, eschewing blood and gory violence, profanity-laden dialogues, and adult-oriented themes that have powered most of the biggest TV dramas of all time. Essentially, Apple was going to do a Disney. But last month's unveiling of the initial slate revealed those reports were seemingly unfounded. Set aside those shows aimed at children, the six others at launch or shortly upcoming — post-apocalyptic fantasy See, alt-history sci-fi For All Mankind, news drama The Morning Show, psychological thriller Servant, biographical comedy Dickinson, and true-crime drama Truth Be Told — are all certified “A” in India (TV-MA or TV-14 in the US).

See is possibly the most adult of them all, considering it's clearly trying to be the new Game of Thrones. (Apple reportedly spent $15 million, about Rs. 106 crores, per episode on See, equivalent to what HBO did for Thrones' final season, which is laughable for an unproven show with no existing fanbase.) Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight is at the helm — that explains the graphic throat slits amongst other brutal scenes — of See, which is set centuries after a virus decimated the human population and deprived the survivors of the ability to see. Now, vision exists only as a myth and anyone who talks about it is dubbed a heretic. For the Apple series, that's simply an excuse to force its world back to the Dark Ages, even before Game of Thrones' equivalent setting of the Middle Ages.

But the comparisons to the hit HBO series are superficial, as with the inclusion of a possible incestual relationship between a nephew and his aunt. See has nothing to offer beyond its surface-level premise and violence — no gripping plot, no interesting characters, and no relevant messaging. It's an empty husk of a show. The only ideas that are touched upon in the first three episodes of the total eight — that's what critics, including us, had access to — are motherhood, family bonds, and tribe mentality, but See doesn't know how to craft emotional scenes or build them up. (Francis Lawrence, behind three of the four Hunger Games films, is the director.) Moreover, the Apple series is dry, self-serious, and humourless, which makes it more reminiscent of Britannia than Game of Thrones.

See opens with a woman named Maghra (Hera Hilmar) giving birth to twins — a boy and a girl — in a cave, with help from a mysterious midwife called Paris (Alfre Woodard). Maghra's husband — but not the father of her children — Baba Voss (Jason Momoa), meanwhile, is off on the frontlines with other members of his tribe, the Alkenny. He's trying to thwart an assault by the Witchfinders led by Tamacti Jun (Christian Camargo), who has been tipped off by an Alkenny snitch called Gether Bax (Mojean Aria) that the babies' father is Jerlamarel (Joshua Henry), a lone warrior who can see. Jun has been tasked with finding and capturing him at the behest of Queen Kane (Sylvia Hoeks), and his children become prime targets as well after they are born with sight.

With help from Jerlamarel, the Alkenny escape from the Witchfinders' clutches and settle in a new land, where Baba Voss cuts them off from the rest of the world to protect his children, now named Kofun (Archie Madekwe) and Haniwa (Nesta Cooper). After Maghra, Baba, and Paris learn the kids can see, they decide to hide the truth from the rest of their tribe, since some of them were willing to hand the babies over to save their own skin. And that was before the Alkenny knew the children were “heretics”. For nearly two decades, the kids then grow up in isolation and secret, using their eyesight to help others and themselves. Meanwhile, Gether, who bears ill will towards Baba and Paris for having burnt his mother at the stake, keeps trying to sabotage the whole thing.

Off in lands far away, Queen Kane — leader of the Payan tribe — is battling dissenting subordinate voices and hence intentionally preaches contrasting philosophies to retain power. Publicly, she blames vision for causing the apocalypse in the first place, claiming men did evil deeds because they could see. Empty words considering the pain and destruction caused by the Witchfinders. Privately, Kane reveals she wants to find Jerlamarel so she can use him to bring more babies with sight into the world, which would help make her stronger. Her palace, which is set inside an abandoned dam that generates hydroelectricity, is one of a few remnants of the futuristic past on See, alongside a record player — the only piece of technology on-screen — owned by Kane.

The biggest problem with See is on a script level, as the writing virtually gives us no insight into its characters, who seemingly exist to move the narrative forward. Forget hinting at potential character arcs, we know barely anything about most of the protagonists and antagonists after the first three episodes. Baba Voss, Queen Kane, and Gether Bax are the most developed of the lot — and by most, we mean “very little” — while we are given next to nothing for Paris and Maghra, who can be described as simply the mother. As further proof of how little it has to say, characters repeat the same thing over and over when it comes to their primary motivation or stance on a topic. It's almost as if See thinks its audience can't be bothered to focus on what's happening on screen.

Beyond the lacklustre writing, See also fails to deliver on action sequences, which are usually reliant on the stupidity of villains to allow the heroes to come out as victors. They also betray a lack of scale at times, all the more surprising if Apple has really spent the reported figure of $15 million per episode on See. Game of Thrones shot its initial seasons at half of that average budget, and the HBO show still managed to look more impressive. See's character roster is much smaller than Thrones as well, where there were so many families that it could repeatedly kill primary characters for much of its runtime without crippling the narrative. That means there are less stakes to its action too, since See can't afford to kill off any of its core group of characters.

Additionally, See's central conceit — a virus that killed most and blinded the rest — does turn into a bit of a joke now and then since everyone is a bit of a Daredevil on the Apple series. Relying on the scientific backing of how losing one sense rewires the brain and boosts others, See essentially grants superpowers to its characters. With everyone on the show being blind, that means everyone has more acute hearing, with different applications ranging from detecting lies, estimating the size of an incoming threat, and sensing movement beyond the horizon. (A select few others have more equipped noses that allows them to pick up on abstract things such as fear, which isn't as helpful, naturally.) But the lack of variety lessens the appeal.

All that comes together to make up a show that has clearly nothing going for it. Strangely, Apple has already renewed See for a second season before it has even released, though a report claims that the series will see “a change at the top”, which means either of Knight or Lawrence — or both — are set to make way for someone else. Whether that will improve See is debatable though, given its current status as a disastrous, utterly forgettable attempt to be the next Game of Thrones. There's no shortage of contenders in the space too, what with Amazon, Netflix, and HBO itself all trying to fill that void. But for Apple, the quality of its originals is paramount since it's not going to offer anything else, unlike others. Sure, it has money to throw at TV+, but See is proof that its customers should think twice.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/entertainme...hrones-2123676

post #22 of 37 Old 11-02-2019, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4037 Post(s)
Liked: 3751
I watched the first two episodes and I'm definitely in for the rest. On a technical note, the image quality is spectacular, some of the very best streaming video I've ever seen. And it should be given the bandwidth it's using, I clocked it at around 10 GBs per hour.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #23 of 37 Old 11-02-2019, 01:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 308
And so, the guys who make my favorite computer want to produce story content.
OK, but I don't buy in ....yet

Make my favorite computer - they still do, but once you make stories for sale, things can get very out of hand
in one respect. It's no longer a hardware product - Apple's great thing. Perhaps the sign of things that owned our
attention being put to rest. John Ive is gone
post #24 of 37 Old 11-02-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
On a technical note, the image quality is spectacular, some of the very best streaming video I've ever seen. And it should be given the bandwidth it's using, I clocked it at around 10 GBs per hour.
that's good to know...did you check out any of the other Apple+ shows like For All Mankind?...does the same apply as far as bit-rates/image quality?...bodes well for Disney+, as I'm sure it'll look at least as good but probably better then Apple+
post #25 of 37 Old 11-02-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
that's good to know...did you check out any of the other Apple+ shows like For All Mankind?...does the same apply as far as bit-rates/image quality?...bodes well for Disney+, as I'm sure it'll look at least as good but probably better then Apple+
@bodosom posted some images of the HUD readout of three of the Apple TV+ titles over in the Apple TV thread,
bitrates for Apple TV+ content.

I watched 2 episodes of "The Morning Show" and it looked very good as well but as most all of it takes place on indoor sets it doesn't have the impact of the outdoor settings "See" uses. I haven't watched anything else yet. If the Disney content looks better than "See" that will be quite something as "See" looks outstanding.
Phillihp23 likes this.
post #26 of 37 Old 11-03-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 396
So 4K Dolby Vision confirmed for all titles?

Ugh! Wish they would support LG OLED WebOS native and/or Android TV - might need to plug-in my FireTV in to my LG and check it out

Josh
post #27 of 37 Old 11-03-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
So 4K Dolby Vision confirmed for all titles?

Ugh! Wish they would support LG OLED WebOS native and/or Android TV - might need to plug-in my FireTV in to my LG and check it out
I can confirm that "See", "For All Mankind", "Dickenson" and "The Morning Show" are all 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos audio. My signal path is Apple TV4K>Denon X4500H>Sony A9F OLED.
lax01 likes this.
post #28 of 37 Old 11-03-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1228 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
So, the entire cast in this show are pretending to be blind, using sticks to keep from bumping into things in their forest life. "Watch out for that tree." It's like watching Survivor, with my least favorite challenge, where they are blindfolded and stumbling about through obstacles, except the entire show would be that way. One cool scene with a cascading rock wall, which is better if you don't think too much how they might have made that. After that scene, turned it off. 1/2 way in and done for me.
post #29 of 37 Old 11-03-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

'See' on Apple TV+

I watched the first 3 of See. It was decent. It’s an interesting world, but I’d like to see more before proclaiming anything. So far I think it’s not too bad at all, but with a few moments of “really?”.

Last edited by Don S; 11-03-2019 at 10:57 AM.
post #30 of 37 Old 11-03-2019, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
See,was,good. Not sure about all the critical remarks. After all most shows are made up...so all these unrealistic comments make me laugh. I mean should I go on a rant about how unrealistic The Walking Dead is Also found The Morning Show to be solid so far. Picture quality and audio have been excellent. Will have to check out some other of there product and see how it is...

Home Theater System Denon X8500H, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, Polk RTi A1 Rear Heights, Polk 70RT Middle In-Ceiling, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, JVC DLA-RS1000, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, Panasonic UB9000, Dish Hopper 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page