• 1 Post By dragonbud0
  • 1 Post By AustinJerry

post #1 of 20 Old 05-15-2019, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Luther / BBC / Idris Elba

Really surprised I couldn't find a thread for this.

Series 5 (four episodes) premieres on BBC America June 2. Idris Elba plays DCI (Detective Chief Inspector) John Luther in London's Serious Crime Unit. By all accounts he is a brilliant detective that is incredibly dedicated to his job. Too dedicated many would argue. He is never able to decouple his private life from his work and every case takes over his existence until he is able to solve it and move on to the next case so he never really has what could be considered a productive private life.

I have enjoyed this series very much as a fan of smart detective/crime dramas, and Idris Elba is magnetic in the role. Definitely happy a new series is on the way.

Last edited by Ben23; 05-15-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-15-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 10490
I have watched the previous series and looking forward to this one.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
post #3 of 20 Old 05-15-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
I saw the ads during Killing Eve and then discovered all the previous seasons are on Prime. So I'll go ahead and record season 5 and watch whenever I can catch up. I'm generally not a fan of detective-type shows, but I've heard this Idris Elba guy is pretty good, and I liked the BBC's Sherlock series, though I'm sure Luther is very different.
Ben23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-15-2019, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
, but I've heard this Idris Elba guy is pretty good, and I liked the BBC's Sherlock series, though I'm sure Luther is very different.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about Idris Elba, but he friggin rocks! Been a huge fan since his portrayal of Stringer Bell on The Wire. I had no idea he was British until I finished The Wire (watched it via Netflix physical DVDs).

I love Sherlock. It might be my favorite show of all time because I love seeing super smart people do stuff. Luther is kinda in the same vein as that, but it has a much more different vibe. I think you'll like it for sure.
AudiophileWalt likes this.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-15-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic about Idris Elba, but he friggin rocks!
It was intended as an understatement. He's huge! Like Benedict Cumberbatch doing the last season of Sherlock, it's amazing that Elba is still doing this TV show. He's kind of in demand now (another understatement ).
Ben23 and PannyMann like this.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-16-2019, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
It was intended as an understatement. He's huge! Like Benedict Cumberbatch doing the last season of Sherlock, it's amazing that Elba is still doing this TV show. He's kind of in demand now (another understatement ).
Gotcha. I figured as much but didn't want to assume. Yeah, as much as the US has been instrumental in the "golden age of television" over the last 20 years, I think the BBC has made a huge contribution as well. So many great shows with Sherlock and Luther being top tier IMO.
Zookster and allargon like this.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-05-2019, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

S5E1 hit the ground running and didn't let you catch your breath at all. No recaps or "catch you up" type scenes. Just BAM! How about some Russian roulette to start things off? Not enough? Okay, later we'll throw in a ticking time bomb chained to a CI's head. Still not enough? How about a creepy masked killer on a double decker bus?

Oh, and guess who pops in at the last second as forces are converging on Luther? You'll just have to watch it...

I love this show. Smart, suspenseful, gritty, just great stuff.
Zookster, gprace and PannyMann like this.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-05-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm glad to hear the new season is off to a great start. Though I had planned on taking my time watching the four previous seasons on Prime while recording season 5 to watch at a later date, with so much else on my viewing plate, I'm now halfway through the 16 total episodes from seasons 1-4. I thought being a crime-drama procedural, each episode would stand on its own, but this show was made to be binged even before bingeing was really a thing. I actually don't go out of my way for crime-drama procedurals unless there's something particularly unique or special about them, like the Sherlock series or AMC's The Killing. So it's saying something that I've been watching multiple episodes of this each week the past couple of weeks. If it wasn't for my temporary HBO subscription and Good Omens on Prime, I'd probably be just about caught up.
Ben23 likes this.
post #9 of 20 Old 06-11-2019, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Episode 2 continued at a slightly less frantic pace, but they are packing a lot into each episode.

One thing grating on me a bit: So these mob guys have come close to killing Luther three times now. This episode, something like five men are firing handguns into his attic as he is escaping through some secret escape hatch he has up there. That, coupled with the Russian roulette and explosive in the first episode, and they are clearly trying to kill him. So it baffles me that soon after he is having a casual conversation with their ring leader. In the interest of self-preservation I would think he should planning some sort of SWAT hit on this crew or something (you know, for attempted murder). I don't know. It just feels strange to have his life left up to fate, luck, whatever, so often by these guys. Does he value his own life anymore?

post #10 of 20 Old 06-12-2019, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Caught the first Ep last night and they're at it again with the breakneck pace, intrigue and fine acting. And then the surprise at the end. Loving it all over again.

I think, therefore I am single.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-12-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked: 2970
FWIW, all 5 seasons are available on BD.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-19-2019, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Well, they've certainly set up an explosive finale. My goodness episode 3 was stressful. Just great TV here. Given engagement here, definitely an underrated show.
PannyMann likes this.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked: 1652
While I'm liking it and have always thought Alice was a great character, there seems to have been a lot that happened between seasons and also I prefer Luther as a detective more than a character out of Dashiell Hammett book. He doesn't quite fit that character.
Ben23 and JD23 like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-26-2019, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Well that was a break-neck pace, explosive, eventful season. This story-line could have easily stretched into 2-3 more episodes, but you never know what's happening behind the scenes with scheduling and budgets and all that, especially with someone like Elba involved. It's similar to why we ended up waiting years for new Sherlock seasons to come out.

Elba teased a movie as a way to wrap things up a bit more, and that would be welcome news for sure. I'm not finished with these characters, and I hope they aren't finished with us.

Spoiler!

https://ew.com/tv/2019/06/23/luther-...a-ruth-wilson/

Last edited by Ben23; 06-26-2019 at 10:07 AM.
post #15 of 20 Old 06-26-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked: 1652
Not sure I thought it was that good. The plot device of Luther lying to Alice when he had no reason to (or no reason to think that the lie wouldn't be uncovered anyway) was fairly poor. They've really pushed the character to be very shady rather than the dedicated police detective he started out as.
Ben23 likes this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #16 of 20 Old 06-26-2019, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Not sure I thought it was that good. The plot device of Luther lying to Alice when he had no reason to (or no reason to think that the lie wouldn't be uncovered anyway) was fairly poor. They've really pushed the character to be very shady rather than the dedicated police detective he started out as.
That's a good point on him lying to her. Perhaps having lost Benny and all the other stressful issues piled on he just did something careless. Rare for him but a sign of the cracks starting to show through. Similarly, the decline of his integrity has certainly been driven by extenuating circumstances and is maybe indicative of the unreasonable things people do out of infatuation or love. Not a happy ending by any stretch, but I never really saw him as that stereotypical heroic figure. He was always willing to "play in the gray" if the outcome was just (in his mind).
post #17 of 20 Old 06-26-2019, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 160
The Luther series has been quality TV from the first season til this one. Yes, it has it's flaws like any series, but the acting, writing and overall production values are just top notch. And this past season moved along at a frenetic pace that kept me intrigued til the very end. And, that ending certainly left you wondering what Luther's future might be, given the dire circumstances he finds himself in.

I'm all in for a movie to see what fate has in store for him.

If a movie is not in the cards, I'll be watching for a new season of the perfect role for Idris Elba - DCI Luther !
Ben23 likes this.

I think, therefore I am single.
post #18 of 20 Old 06-26-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I like him on Wire; surprise he is still doing TV shows considering the number of major movies he was in, such as Alien, Pacific Rim, Avenger series, Molly's Game, etc.

Will check it out after Dark Season 2.
Ben23 likes this.
post #19 of 20 Old 06-27-2019, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
I like him on Wire; surprise he is still doing TV shows considering the number of major movies he was in, such as Alien, Pacific Rim, Avenger series, Molly's Game, etc.

Will check it out after Dark Season 2.
Yeah, he's been doing Luther since 2010 and became a big star for other reasons during that process. My first exposure to him was in The Wire, which I watched via Netflix DVDs mailed to my apartment back in 2008/9. I watched that entire series never knowing he was British. I can't remember how I found out (honestly, maybe it was seeing Luther for the first time), but my mind exploded. His voice never once shifted in that show. Same with Dominic West as McNulty (or McNutty at Bubbles would say). I didn't know he was British either. However, I am in the process of rewatching The Wire (it holds up very well), and there are very quick, rare moments where you hear that accent come out with him but never with Elba. His voice work, from an authenticity POV, on that show is insane.
post #20 of 20 Old 06-30-2019, 01:23 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11000 Post(s)
Liked: 6567
Well, I liked the show during seasons 1-4 enough that I re-watched all the episodes on Prime. Finally finished Season 5 yesterday. Really enjoyed Alice Morgan’s return. I think there were some plot lines in Season 5 that stretched the imagination, but overall I enjoyed having four new episodes to watch. The ending was pretty grim, though.
Ben23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page