SYTYCD Season 16, starts June 3 2019 at 9PM - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By DSperber
  • 1 Post By DSperber

post #1 of 7 Old 05-22-2019, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 270
SYTYCD Season 16, starts June 3 2019 at 9PM

FOX has moved up the start date for S16E01 of SYTYCD, from June 10 to June 3. Also, the first episode is airing at 9PM this year rather than at 8PM per customary. I don't know if this is just for the first episode or for the whole season, so check your Guide data. Of course if you just set a "series recording" for "any time" the DVR will track things correctly.

Looks like Vanessa Hudgens is out, and Season 3 alum Dominic Sandoval is in, as one of the new judges. Also, looks like tWitch is out and Laurieann Gibson (Lady Gaga's choreographer and creative director) is the second new judge. Of course Nigel and Mary are both back.

Auditions were back in February, in NY, Dallas, and LA.

Here is Gold Derby writeup.

Here is Good Housekeeping writeup.

LET THE DANCING BEGIN!!!

Here's an interview (19 min.) with Cat.
archiguy likes this.

Last edited by DSperber; 05-22-2019 at 04:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-22-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 791
I scanned the last few seasons and this season I'll probably skip entirely. After x seasons all the dancers run together with one reminding you of another (past contestant) to the point it simply becomes reruns. Do we really need America's sixteenth favorite dancer.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled PC - i7-8700K - NVMe - RTX 2080 - 4K 43" Monitor |
post #3 of 7 Old 05-22-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
I remember Dominic. He was a great hip hop/break guy who partnered with Sabra the season 3 winner. He busted his tail and turned out to be a decent all-around dancer who clearly helped her win (although her "Table Dance" with Neil Haskell, who is still in the Hamilton Broadway company and has gone on as King George at times, is considered to be a SYTYD classic)) I recall that he was always flirting with Cat and I read that he and Lauren Froderman were an item for 4.5 years. He's got to be more substantive than Vanessa. I saw Laurie Ann Gibson do a brief stint on Dance Moms. She was a demanding, take no BS choreographer who, given her incredible resume, hardly needed that show to gain notoriety. If Nigel lets her cut loose in her critiques, it could get interesting and pretty raw. We'll see. There's not much info yet about the format this season other than terms like "facelift" and "new faces". We'll see.

On a side note, SYTYCD alums Haskell,Thayn Jasperson and Ariana Debose have been in Hamilton. Last year Debose was nominated for a Best Featured Actress in a Musical Tony Award for her role in Summer: The Donna Summer Musical. Melanie Moore has now been in three Broadway musicals, dancing in Finding Neverland and speaking and singing in Fiddler on the Roof and Hello Dolly. Ricky Ubeda, Alex Wong, Evan Kasprzak and Jess LeProtto have all danced in Broadway shows. It's probably a longer list but it illustrates what a musical theater career launching pad SYTYCD is for many of its dancers.

Last edited by Cal1981; 05-22-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-06-2019, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not liking the new format. Straight to Hollywood? I miss visits to the various cities. They also seem to have cut out the "odd" contestants, which was always fun. The judges, especially the two new ones, seem to think everyone is the best thing since sliced bread. Perhaps the PTB want it to be more "positive and uplifting?" I liked the last guy, but the rest didn't do much for me. I'm hopeful that it will get better when they get to the top 10.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-06-2019, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I agree. Where were the real "dancers"? I hope this doesn't mean we'll be focused on hip-hop.

I didn't care for the filmed-look and shiny gleaming look of the whole thing with high-tech "glam cam" 360-degree nonsense, again with the screaming audience of young people. Reminded me very much of J-Lo and Derek's "World of Dance" or E!'s "Live From the Red Carpet". Even Cat didn't seem to be having a good time.

Very much no longer "personal", which is what I felt when the auditorium was rented for the day and the dancers-to-come plus family would be in the seats, and there was "cue music" and then some "quiet" stage dancing to music, and then Nigel's raised hand to stop the music, and then sensible quiet commentary.

Now it's super-enthusiastic WOW! THAT WAS AMAZING! and nothing seemingly genuine or constructive. Dominic is not a great personality, and he's put on weight. He also may have been part of a "dance crew", but I don't find that appealing. Laurieann Gibson is also not my kind of choreographer, say like Wade Robson used to be. And also has some weight on her. Not that I'm trying to body-shame here and tie that to negative dance skill (think Mia Michaels and Mandy Moore who are both fabulous choreographers), but it's just the constant-smile constant-enthusiasm personalities of these two judges that doesn't appeal to me. How about Tyce Diorio, who obviously didn't want to be involved at this level.

Anyway, it was all over in a flash. One hour in a fish bowl like this went by very quickly, with nothing memorable, and nothing to "edit/clip for posterity". I actually enjoyed the "road trip" audition method of all seasons past much more. Let's hope it improves. At the very least let's hope we really end up with some genuinely terrific dancers after the "Academy".

They're obviously trying to appeal to young-uns, for ratings. I tried J-Lo's show twice, and then couldn't stand the format. So maybe I'm also not the target demo for this new SYTYCD aproach. I'm not wowed with the upside-down dancer freeze photo that's possible with 360-degree camera technology, which is better used analyzing a golf swing!
Tom37 likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-10-2019, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1845 Post(s)
Liked: 2153
I do not like the new format at all. Also, WAY to much use of the 360 camera. We get it, you got a new toy, move on. Plus the two new judges are already annoying the heck out of me.

post #7 of 7 Old 06-10-2019, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Steven Spielberg is filming a remake of West Side Story and a number of SYTYCD alumni will be in the cast. Ariana DeBose, coming off her Tony nominated performance in the Donna Summer Musical on Broadway, will star as Anita. Ricky Obeda, Gabby Diaz and Jess Leprotto will also be in the film. Not bad, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page