Hot Zone on National Geographic - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By shivaji
  • 2 Post By Garrett Adams
  • 2 Post By crabboy

post #1 of 15 Old 05-28-2019, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Hot Zone on National Geographic

‘Hot Zone’ plays like horror show
By Rob Owen, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's 'Tuned In' Column - May 23, 2019

National Geographic Channel’s “The Hot Zone” (9 p.m. May 27-29) is both horror show and thriller. Instead of a boogeyman with a knife or gun, the killer is the Ebola virus and its calling card for potential calamity is something as innocuous as a cough.

“The Hot Zone,” based on the nonfiction book by Richard Preston, manages to be both smart (mini lectures on infectious disease transmission via expository dialogue) and silly (a scientist spirits away dead, defrosting monkey corpses in a sedan’s trunk). And yet every time someone sneezes or dares to put in a contact lens, the tension is palpable.

It’s a weird dichotomy. If one can imagine a program as fodder for “MST3K,” that’s probably not a compliment, and yet this six-hour miniseries lends itself to “Don’t do that!” mockery even as it takes viewers on a fast, entertaining ride inspired by true events.

Do not watch while eating — vomit and blood are commonly shown — and prepare for some wooden dialogue that sounds like it was written in the late ‘80s when the story is largely set.

“Level Four air lock: This is where the real world meets ‘the hot zone,’” intones Dr. Nancy Jaax (Julianna Margulies, “The Good Wife”), the heroic U.S. Army lieutenant colonel who is beset upon by idiot men (who second guess her; comment on her appearance) even as she makes multiple stupid choices that flaunt protocol.

(Jaax is based on a real person and one has to wonder if to gain the real Jaax’s cooperation producers agreed to post an on-screen “thank you” at the end of the first episode that rattles off her real-life accomplishments to atone for what the fictional Jaax is shown doing on screen.)

“The Hot Zone” is stocked with a wealth of talented character actors, including Noah Emmerich (“The Americans”) as Jaax’s husband; Liam Cunningham (“Game of Thrones”) as Jaax’s mentor; Topher Grace (“That ‘70s Show”) as a know-it-all virologist; Robert Sean Leonard (“House”) as a mid-level commercial lab manager and Nick Searcy (“Justified”) as the janitor who brings Jaax her dead, frozen monkeys for research and is then hurt when she freaks out to receive whole bodies when she only wanted tissue samples (“They’re fresh, ma’am!” he implores. “They just died today!”).

Yes, “The Hot Zone” will probably provoke equal amounts of hilarity and horror with its mix of surreal situations and moments of “Oh no, he didn’t!” terror.
“I hate to use a sick day for a little fever,” says a worker at the Ebola-infected monkey facility before management lets on that there may be a problem with the monkeys.

Showrunners Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson, veterans of “Under the Dome” and “Smallville,” sprinkle in enough science to balance the crazier elements of “The Hot Zone,” Peak TV’s version of a summer disaster flick.

https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-r...s/201905210105

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-28-2019, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

‘The Hot Zone,’ flaws and all, captures a near-catastrophic epidemic
By Lorraine Ali, Los Angeles Times - May 23, 2019

Riding the subway, picking up a pencil or purchasing a pack of gum portend human catastrophe in National Geographic’s “The Hot Zone,” a six-part biohazard thriller that will have you reaching for the hand sanitizer if not a hazmat suit.

The miniseries, which premieres Monday and airs over three consecutive nights, follows a team of 1980s scientists who discover a new mutation of the Ebola virus in a lab just 20 minutes outside of Washington, D.C.

The deadly pathogen has a 90% mortality rate, there’s no known cure and the clock is ticking to identify its carriers, contain the disease and find an antidote.
Based on the bestseller by Richard Preston and influenced by true events, “The Hot Zone” highlights the heroic role scientists played in the race against a fatal epidemic.

At the center of unraveling this lethal riddle is veterinarian and chief pathologist at the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, Lt. Col. Nancy Jaax (Julianna Margulies), whom like the real-life figure the character is based upon, is key to winning the battle.

Centers for Disease Control researcher Wade Carter (Liam Cunningham) represents institutional knowledge on how to grapple with the Ebola demon. The story moves between their two respective timelines — 1989 Virginia and 1976 Zaire — as it tracks Ebola’s origins and spread from the jungles of Africa to America’s capital. All it takes is one vomiting airline passenger and a sick lab monkey or three.

Each hour-long episode, however, suffers from another sort of plague: ill-timed and clunky dialogue that distracts from the sheer urgency of the situation. When the otherwise persuasive Carter explains to a doubter why he must risk his life to conquer Ebola, he offers this forgettable argument: “We need to observe it. Get inside its head.”

When Carter journeys to an African village where there have been reports of the disease, his nervous junior researcher quips: “No one would be happier than me to just run into some boring old flu. … Well, maybe my mom.” Not the best setup for the forthcoming scenes of dead pregnant women, blood-soaked bedding and pox-ravaged nuns.

There’s also the issue of repetition. Viewers learn over and over that U.S. authorities have never contained anything like this on our own soil. “I want to stick to procedures,” says one by-the-book researcher. “If you find any, let me know,” says another. There is no protocol, we’re reminded by several more panic-stricken responders over each hour-long episode. You mean it’s unprecedented? Like never happened before?!

The pacing of each installment, however, is brisk despite a great deal of necessary scientific and medical background. Accounts of how the virus developed in the jungles of Africa, was first discovered domestically in Virginia, which agencies were involved and the frantic reaction of a public already rocked by the AIDS crisis are interspersed with anecdotes of the how easily the disease is spread. And it’s a graphic journey.

If squeamish, you should know now that “The Hot Zone” is generous when it comes to projectile vomiting: on planes, in office hallways, hospital rooms and huts across Zaire. There are also festering body blisters, oozing blood clots, profuse fever sweats and grisly monkey autopsies.

We’d expect no less from a “Level 4 hot agent.” Virologist Peter Jahrling (Topher Grace) is one of the unfortunate fellows who underestimated Lt. Col. Jaax and her findings, and let’s just say the bespectacled wunderkind isn’t as cocky by Episode 4. If only he’d listened to her.

Convincing Jahrling and all the other dismissive or reticent men from various government agencies isn’t Jaax’s only challenge. She’s torn between her duty to protect humanity and her loyalty to her own family.

Her husband (Noah Emmerich) is furious when he finds out she moved the kids’ baseball gear into the back seat of the car to make room in the trunk for the highly contagious corpses of frozen simians. But there was no time for official transport, she argues.

The gender-specific subdrama is of the era but also speaks to the modern struggles of working women, making it a powerful addition to the already tense narrative.
Plus there’s nothing that spells out impending doom like monkey blood dripping from the trunk of a late-model sedan.

Though flawed, “The Hot Zone” is an effective, real-life horror story whose key points are hard to brush aside. Ex: One sneeze on a subway, and a million hot particles can be dispersed. Perhaps it’s best to stay home today.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...526-story.html

post #3 of 15 Old 05-28-2019, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Official trailer:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-29-2019, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My wife wanted to watch it. We watched the first episode on demand and liked it. Started to watch the next and it's unavailable. We can watch the 3rd, 4th or 5th. Just not the second.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-29-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
If anyone has wondered where Sir Devos has gone, he is now on this show. Juliana is looking a bit cat-like at the moment. I think she visited the wrong plastic surgeon.
dfa973 likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-29-2019, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post
My wife wanted to watch it. We watched the first episode on demand and liked it. Started to watch the next and it's unavailable. We can watch the 3rd, 4th or 5th. Just not the second.
There is a marathon this Saturday of all of them in a row including the finale if you want to record them all.

post #7 of 15 Old 05-29-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I've got this show piling up on my dvr and will watch when i can binge it.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-29-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 1317
I'm enjoying this miniseries. It's much better than I was expecting.
yobbo and WilliamR like this.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-30-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Not as good as I'd expected but still better than most TV. OK, that's faint praise.
What spoils it a little is that I read the book and know the outcomes, lowering the suspense factor for me.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-31-2019, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Very good mini series. I was amazed how inept our Government was during this outbreak. It was by luck that the Ebola strain did not kill anyone. And the follow up show was really great also. Again the Texas Hospital that treated a man who was having high fever and other problems did not even ask if he had traveled out of the country. He just got back from west Africa where the biggest out break in history of Ebola was going on. Unreal. The he comes back and gives it to a bunch of nurses. I hope that our CDC and Government have woke up after all these screw up.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-31-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Not as good as I'd expected but still better than most TV. OK, that's faint praise.
What spoils it a little is that I read the book and know the outcomes, lowering the suspense factor for me.
You mean we all lived? SPOILER ALERT!!!
shivaji and PannyMann like this.

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #12 of 15 Old 06-03-2019, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

We binge watched the whole series, loved it. Very well done with lots of great actors/actresses. Very intense too. If it hadn't mutated, we probably would of lost tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands or more in our jammed packed cities. Pure luck it mutated at the right time. Scary stuff indeed. Kudos for History doing this, very impressed.

post #13 of 15 Old 06-05-2019, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

‘The Hot Zone’: Ebola Virus Drama Series Draws Record Ratings For National Geographic

The Hot Zone limited drama series about the Ebola virus starring Julianna Margulies drew record ratings for National Geographic, becoming the network’s most-watched scripted series of all time. The Hot Zone averaged a .82 in Live+3 ratings in the demo over three nights, besting previous record holder Genius: Einstein, according to Nielsen. It also was just shy of besting The Story of God With Morgan Freeman as the network’s most-watched series of all time, and making it the second-most-watched scripted series to premiere on ad-supported cable so far this year.

The Hot Zone boosted National Geographic’s viewership 350 percent above the previous six-week average in prime time. The May 27 series premiere also lifted Nat Geo to the No. 5 ad-supported cable network in the target demo for the night and No. 2 among total viewers.

Across 12 broadcasts through the May 29 finale (premieres and repeats), the series was viewed by 7.5 million people in the U.S according to the network and Nielsen. The Hot Zone will begin airing in 172 countries and in 43 languages throughout the summer.

Based on Richard Preston’s best-selling book of the same name, The Hot Zone is inspired by the true events surrounding the origins of the Ebola virus and its arrival on U.S. soil in 1989. Margulies, Noah Emmerich, Liam Cunningham and Topher Grace lead the ensemble cast. In The Hot Zone, a heroic U.S. Army scientist, Nancy Jaax (Margulies), working with a secret specialized military team, puts her life on the line to head off the outbreak before it spreads to the human population.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/the-hot...ic-1202627421/

post #14 of 15 Old 06-20-2019, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

‘The Hot Zone’ Sequel In Works As Nat Geo Eyes Turning Hit Limited Series Into Anthology Franchise
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Jun. 19, 2019

EXCLUSIVE: National Geographic is looking to stay in The Hot Zone. Following the ratings and critical success of the limited series starring Julianna Margulies, the Disney-owned network has begun discussions with producers Fox 21 TV Studios, part of Disney TV Studios, and Scott Free to turn the program, chronicling the Ebola virus outbreak, into an anthology series.

Talks are still in early stages but I hear the idea is for each season to look at a different health-related crisis where science is a big factor in finding a solution to potential epidemic or public panic. I hear producers are zeroing in on the post-9/11 anthrax crisis as topic of the potential second installment.

I hear the project has been put on the fast-track as Nat Geo had made launching a second scripted anthology series after Genius a priority. No word yet on if any of the cast from the original The Hot Zone would return for the potential followup, but all sides appear open to it. Margulies led The Hot Zone ensemble cast that also included Noah Emmerich, Liam Cunningham and Topher Grace.

The Hot Zone, which debuted May 27, has become Nat Geo’s most watched scripted series ever, topping Genius: Einstein and MARS, and the channel’s second most watched series overall just behind The Story of God with Morgan Freeman. It has been watched by 9.33 million viewers across the premieres and repeats in L+7, and saw a 101% lift in the demo from L+SD to L+7. In L+3, The Hot Zone averaged a .82 rating in the demo over its three nights. It lifted Nat Geo’s viewership 350% above the previous six week average.

Additionally, The Hot Zone has emerged as an awards contender for Nat Geo with strong reviews.

Based on Richard Preston’s best-selling book of the same name, The Hot Zone was inspired by the true events surrounding the origins of the Ebola virus and its arrival on U.S. soil in 1989. In it, a heroic U.S. Army scientist, Nancy Jaax (Margulies), working with a secret specialized military team, puts her life on the line to head off the outbreak before it spreads to the human population. The Hot Zone is a co-production of Fox 21 TV Studios and Scott Free Productions.

Nat Geo has been ramping up its scripted slate. It has two two scripted series – Barkskins and The Right Stuff – heading into production next month (Barkskins in Quebec City and The Right Stuff in Florida). The next season of Genius, centered on Aretha Franklin, is in pre-productoin.)

https://deadline.com/2019/06/the-hot...es-1202634863/

post #15 of 15 Old 06-22-2019, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 2362
Just finished watching. Plays like a horror film is quite right. Most horror films, I just watch in amusement. This thing was just too real. I got creeped out a number of times. Nice to see Noah Emmerich and Robert Sean Leonard again. Both were perfectly cast, IMO.

Takeaway: Humans make mistakes, and one will eventually take most of us out.

Hard to argue with how they characterized Ebola, and the like, as the Earth's immune system, trying to destroy it's most invasive infection, man.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-24-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page