Fleabag (2016-) / Phoebe Waller-Bridge / Amazon Prime - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
  • 1 Post By Ben23
  • 1 Post By Aliens
  • 1 Post By rdgrimes
  • 1 Post By Zookster
  • 1 Post By Ben23
  • 2 Post By Zookster
  • 1 Post By allargon
  • 2 Post By Zookster
  • 1 Post By Aliens
  • 2 Post By Ben23
  • 1 Post By Zookster
  • 1 Post By Zookster
  • 1 Post By TitusTroy
  • 1 Post By Zookster
  • 1 Post By TitusTroy

post #1 of 25 Old 05-28-2019, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Fleabag (2016-) / Phoebe Waller-Bridge / Amazon Prime

Phoebe Waller-Bridge created and writes this adaptation of her play about a young woman in London who is attempting to cope with the unexpected loss of her best friend. The exact circumstances of the loss are revealed as the show proceeds through its first six episodes, and they greatly influence the plot. The main cast is rounded out by her sister Claire (Sian Clifford), father (Bill Paterson), godmother (Olivia Colman), and sister's fiance Martin (Brett Gelman). The second season adds the priest (Andrew Scott) who ultimately ends up being my favorite character.

I binge-watched this in one evening, and it pretty much flew by. It is simultaneously funny and tragic, silly and serious, uplifting and depressing. This flew under my radar for quite a while. Then Joss Whedon tweeted about it, and I figured I'd give it a watch after getting caught up on some other shows. My fiancee and I got caught up in it and just couldn't stop watching it. Again, the priest character is wonderful on so many levels. Phoebe Waller-Bridge deserves so much praise here. Give this one a shot.

Aliens likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-28-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Liked: 3172
We finished S2 last night and really liked it. I actually liked it better than S1. Plenty of LOL moments. It's really different and may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I found it to be very funny.
Ben23 likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-28-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3088
I had to make 2 attempts to watch season 1 but finally it caught on. Season 2 is better for sure.
Ben23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 05-28-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1743
I think I gave up during the third episode of season 1. It was funny at times, but I've just seen too many women in real life who are self-sabotaging like her, and I just found it too frustrating and not very entertaining to watch portrayed in the TV show. Maybe I'll give it another shot.
Ben23 likes this.
post #5 of 25 Old 05-28-2019, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I think I gave up during the third episode of season 1. It was funny at times, but I've just seen too many women in real life who are self-sabotaging like her, and I just found it too frustrating and not very entertaining to watch portrayed in the TV show. Maybe I'll give it another shot.
That's fair. This basic story line is not completely unique, but I did find the characters and details interesting enough to keep it moving. In all honesty, you could probably watch a recap of the first season and jump right into S2, which I agree is better.

I think people that liked Russian Doll and Marvelous Mrs. Maisel will be more likely to like this.
Zookster likes this.
post #6 of 25 Old 05-28-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
That's fair. This basic story line is not completely unique, but I did find the characters and details interesting enough to keep it moving. In all honesty, you could probably watch a recap of the first season and jump right into S2, which I agree is better.

I think people that liked Russian Doll and Marvelous Mrs. Maisel will be more likely to like this.
I did really like Russian Doll and Mrs. Maisel. I've also been looking for a show this week with half-hour episodes for when I don't have a full hour to spare.
Ben23 and allargon like this.
post #7 of 25 Old 05-29-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I'm glad someone finally put up a thread about this excellent show. It's high quality. It's only six 30-minute episodes per season. There are only two seasons. It's a quick binge or a satisfying stretch. I'll miss it, but I appreciate it going out on top.
Ben23 likes this.
post #8 of 25 Old 05-30-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm glad I got back into Fleabag thanks to this thread. Last night I picked up where I had left off three years ago and watched eps. 3 and 4 of season 1. Whatever annoyed me about the first two episodes (her self-destructive behavior coupled with her feeling sorry for herself) wasn't so front and center as the focus shifted to the relationship with her sister. This normally is exactly the kind of comedy show I like, so very much looking forward to the rest.
Ben23 and allargon like this.
post #9 of 25 Old 05-30-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^

The best is yet to come in S2.
Zookster likes this.
post #10 of 25 Old 05-30-2019, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
One of the best written and acted comedies in the last 20 years. Oh, and Phoebe also started the Killing Eve series.
post #11 of 25 Old 05-30-2019, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm glad I got back into Fleabag thanks to this thread. Last night I picked up where I had left off three years ago and watched eps. 3 and 4 of season 1. Whatever annoyed me about the first two episodes (her self-destructive behavior coupled with her feeling sorry for herself) wasn't so front and center as the focus shifted to the relationship with her sister. This normally is exactly the kind of comedy show I like, so very much looking forward to the rest.
Hooray! I'm so glad you like it.
Zookster and allargon like this.
post #12 of 25 Old 06-01-2019, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 583
This may seem a little odd, but both the name and the graphics on Amazon really turned me off the show. It appears to be something set in the 1930's to me, not a period I'm interested in. I guess that is not the case, may tune in.
post #13 of 25 Old 06-19-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Fleabag was nominated for three well-deserved awards in the 2019 TV Critic Awards, including in the major Program of the Year category (second most among all nominees). That puts this easily overlooked and not heavily marketed show in some pretty good company, as seen in this tally of total nominations (of the shows getting two or more).

Quote:
PROGRAM TALLY
Pose, FX - 4
Russian Doll, Netflix - 4
Fleabag, Amazon - 3
Barry, HBO - 2
Chernobyl, HBO - 2
Escape at Dannemora, Showtime - 2
Fosse/Verdon, FX - 2
The Good Fight, CBS All Access - 2
Killing Eve, BBC America - 2
Schitt’s Creek, Pop TV - 2
Sharp Objects, HBO - 2
Succession, HBO - 2
Veep, HBO - 2
When They See Us, Netflix - 2
Here's a complete list from the Hollywood Reporter.
Ben23 likes this.
post #14 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope 11 Emmy nominations for season 2 are enough to induce Phoebe Waller-Bridge to do a third season of Fleabag. She still hasn't committed to doing it. https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/fl...on-1202158266/
Ben23 likes this.
post #15 of 25 Old 07-16-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

She has said there will be no S3.

https://www.popsugar.com/entertainme...eabag-46286302
post #16 of 25 Old 09-22-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4757 Post(s)
Liked: 4283
Fleabag and Phoebe Waller-Bridge dominated the Emmy's- Best Comedy, Best Actress, Best Writing, Best Directing...
Ben23 likes this.
post #17 of 25 Old 09-22-2019, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope Amazon makes her an offer she can't refuse now to do a season 3.
Ben23 likes this.
post #18 of 25 Old 09-23-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I hope Amazon makes her an offer she can't refuse now to do a season 3.
Be careful what you wish for. If she doesn't feel any creative urge or feel like there's a place to take the story, she shouldn't do it. Worse yet she might hand it off to a different creative team and we get another sit-com. I'd rather see them hire her to do her next project, whatever that might be.
post #19 of 25 Old 09-23-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Be careful what you wish for. If she doesn't feel any creative urge or feel like there's a place to take the story, she shouldn't do it. Worse yet she might hand it off to a different creative team and we get another sit-com. I'd rather see them hire her to do her next project, whatever that might be.
I think she mentioned in one of her Emmy speeches about the show's low budget. That could be one reason for her earlier stated reluctance: a bigger budget could take off some of the production pressures to complete the series as quickly, efficiently and cheaply as possible. I certainly trust in her integrity as a creator that she wouldn't churn out some mediocre network sit-com level drivel just for the money.
post #20 of 25 Old 09-23-2019, 09:38 AM

^^^
Never assume you know what anyone will do when an obscene amount of money is dangled in front of them for the first time in their life.
post #21 of 25 Old 09-23-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked: 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Never assume you know what anyone will do when an obscene amount of money is dangled in front of them for the first time in their life.
Phoebe Waller-Bridge wrote the screenplay for the upcoming James Bond film, No Time to Die. Well, she's credited as co-writer with four other people, which undoubtedly means she wrote the first draft and then it was handed off for multiple sets of rewrites. Regardless, for any movie of that scale, I have to assume she was well compensated, probably more than whatever Amazon might offer her for another season of this show.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #22 of 25 Old 09-23-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Phoebe Waller-Bridge wrote the screenplay for the upcoming James Bond film, No Time to Die. Well, she's credited as co-writer with four other people, which undoubtedly means she wrote the first draft and then it was handed off for multiple sets of rewrites. Regardless, for any movie of that scale, I have to assume she was well compensated, probably more than whatever Amazon might offer her for another season of this show.
Greater creative control could be another enticement to do another season of Fleabag, after dealing with the major studio machine for the Bond movie where one or two jokes she wrote made the cut.
post #23 of 25 Old 09-24-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Fleabag’s Phoebe Waller-Bridge Inks Big Overall Deal With Amazon Studios

Fresh off nabbing three 2019 Emmys for her series Fleabag, Phoebe Waller-Bridge has signed a three-year deal with Amazon Studios...“I’m insanely excited to be continuing my relationship with Amazon,” said Waller-Bridge, who will bring TV content to Amazon Prime Video via Amazon Studios. “Working with the team on ‘Fleabag’ was the creative partnership dreams are made of. It really feels like home. I can’t wait to get going!”

no word yet on how much she’ll make, but it may be the highest-ever for a female writer-producer on Amazon...Industry speculation estimates it to be in the mid-eight-figure range...

https://deadline.com/2019/09/phoebe-...os-1202742657/
Zookster likes this.
post #24 of 25 Old 09-24-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Fleabag’s Phoebe Waller-Bridge Inks Big Overall Deal With Amazon Studios

Fresh off nabbing three 2019 Emmys for her series Fleabag, Phoebe Waller-Bridge has signed a three-year deal with Amazon Studios...“I’m insanely excited to be continuing my relationship with Amazon,” said Waller-Bridge, who will bring TV content to Amazon Prime Video via Amazon Studios. “Working with the team on ‘Fleabag’ was the creative partnership dreams are made of. It really feels like home. I can’t wait to get going!”

no word yet on how much she’ll make, but it may be the highest-ever for a female writer-producer on Amazon...Industry speculation estimates it to be in the mid-eight-figure range...

https://deadline.com/2019/09/phoebe-...os-1202742657/
Well deserved, but looks like there's no chance the deal with Amazon means more Fleabag seasons:

Quote:
While Killing Eve is heading into Season 3, Waller-Bridge at the Emmys once again shut the door to a possible third season of the zeitgeisty Fleabag.
post #25 of 25 Old 09-24-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well deserved, but looks like there's no chance the deal with Amazon means more Fleabag seasons:
seems like she doesn't like to stay attached to 1 project for too long and is constantly looking to try something new...she left Killing Eve after 1 season, Fleabag ended after 2 seasons...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page