• 1 Post By Plager8

post #1 of 7 Old 06-13-2019, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Blues win cup

This has to be one of the biggest sports stories of the year. Congratulations to long suffering Blues fans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-13-2019, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I've been a Blues fan since the early 1970's and honestly thought I'd never see this moment. My stepdad who introduced me and the rest of my family to the game and sacrificed to take me to many. many Blues games didn't live long enough to see our team finally win the Cup. Going to Blues games at the old St. Louis Arena back then was a family affair as my stepdad, myself, and four of my uncles spent every penny we had to go as often as we could. Those nights are some of my fondest memories. Only two of those uncles are still with us and as soon as the game was over we were on the phone together weeping tears of joy.

Last night was really a dream come true for us and so many other longtime Blues fans in St. Louis. Believe me, it was a LONG time coming.
andwhatnot likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-13-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5135 Post(s)
Liked: 4585
I'm not a hockey fan but I like when a team/city that hasn't won for a long time wins a championship...plus didn't the Blues have one of the worst records in the league at the half way point of the season?...amazing turnaround...congrats St. Louis!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-13-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I'm not a hockey fan but I like when a team/city that hasn't won for a long time wins a championship...plus didn't the Blues have one of the worst records in the league at the half way point of the season?...amazing turnaround...congrats St. Louis!
On January 2 they were dead last in the NHL overall standings. It was an incredible run.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-13-2019, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
I'm glad the Blues won and boy did they cash in on their opportunities. As the old hockey announcer's saying goes "They made no mistake".
post #6 of 7 Old 06-14-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager8 View Post
I've been a Blues fan since the early 1970's and honestly thought I'd never see this moment. My stepdad who introduced me and the rest of my family to the game and sacrificed to take me to many. many Blues games didn't live long enough to see our team finally win the Cup. Going to Blues games at the old St. Louis Arena back then was a family affair as my stepdad, myself, and four of my uncles spent every penny we had to go as often as we could. Those nights are some of my fondest memories. Only two of those uncles are still with us and as soon as the game was over we were on the phone together weeping tears of joy.

Last night was really a dream come true for us and so many other longtime Blues fans in St. Louis. Believe me, it was a LONG time coming.
Somewhere in Hockey Announcer's Heaven the great Dan Kelly is smiling. He was one of the best who originated so many catch phrases that are still used today. Mike Emrick's style is an echo of Kelly's. Along with his calling the national games on TV, I used to be able to pick up KMOX in New York sometimes when Kelly was calling a Blues game. IMHO he is up there with the likes of Danny Gallivan and Foster Hewitt when the premier hockey announcers of all time are discussed.

BTW, there is some great stuff on YouTube about the Blues including clips of Dan Kelly calling games and one called "True Blues - Celebrating 20 Years of St.Louis Blues Hockey". If you haven't seen it take a look. It's very good.

Last edited by Cal1981; 06-14-2019 at 10:38 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Somewhere in Hockey Announcer's Heaven the great Dan Kelly is smiling. He was one of the best who originated so many catch phrases that are still used today. Mike Emrick's style is an echo of Kelly's. Along with his calling the national games on TV, I used to be able to pick up KMOX in New York sometimes when Kelly was calling a Blues game. IMHO he is up there with the likes of Danny Gallivan and Foster Hewitt when the premier hockey announcers of all time are discussed.

BTW, there is some great stuff on YouTube about the Blues including clips of Dan Kelly calling games and one called "True Blues - Celebrating 20 Years of St.Louis Blues Hockey". If you haven't seen it take a look. It's very good.

I couldn't agree more. I feel so fortunate to have grown up listening to Dan Kelly. He was amazing. You could virtually envision the game because of the way he described the play in such great detail. I still miss hearing his voice.

I do own a copy True Blues. I also own some albums narrated by Kelly covering the 1968-69 and 1980-81 Blues seasons, as well as the NHL 50 Year anniversary record. I still get chills when I listen to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page