Another Life on Netflix with Katee Sackhoff - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 103Likes

post #1 of 101 Old 07-10-2019, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked: 2438
Another Life on Netflix with Katee Sackhoff

Netflix's Another Life Trailer: Watch BSG's Katee Sackhoff Return To Sci Fi For New Series

Battlestar Galactica fans have a lot to get pumped about! One of the series’ breakout stars, Katee Sackhoff, has a new Netflix series, and it has her back in familiar territory. The realm of science fiction. Sackhoff is bringing the thrills and the chills in the trailer for Another Life, which she narrates.

What do you think? My first thought is that Another Life is visually absorbing. There is an intense sense of urgency that sweeps through the trailer as the initial tension builds. When your protagonist says they are scared, you know you are in for a ride.

As the Alien franchise has taught us, a spaceship full of people and an alien-threat can lead to chaos. Along with conjuring those thoughts, the trailer also gives off some significant Battlestar Galactica vibes. Fans of the sci-fi cable series should be quite excited by this one. Especially those who loved Katee Sackhoff’s much-lauded portrayal of Kara “Starbuck” Thrace. Ten years after Battlestar Galactica ended, Sackhoff is back in space and ready for action.

The actress can be heard giving quite a speech in Another Life’s trailer. The question is to whom? The fast-flashing trailer does not give too much away about its plot. Here is what you need to know. First and foremost, Katee Sackhoff plays astronaut Commander Niko Breckinridge.

She is leading humanity’s first interstellar mission to an alien artifact’s origin planet in this first trailer. Back on earth, her husband (played by Justin Chatwin) is trying to make first contact with the artifact. Based on the trailer, Katee Sackhoff’s Niko is letting someone know that she is fearful that her mission will fail.

If you are highly anticipating learning if the mission succeeds or not, you are not alone. CinemaBlend’s Mick Joest named Another Life as one of the eleven Netflix originals that will keep subscribers “hooked” during July. Katee Sackhoff’s casting was announced more than a year ago in 2018. Considering the wait, it will be fun to see what fans make of her return to space.

Also, yes, that is Supergirl’s Superman actor Tyler Hoechlin in the trailer. Last month, the actor was unsure if he would be part of Arrow-verse’s “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossover. Reprising his role as Superman again for the biggest crossover yet. If Hoechlin does not get to return as the superhero, at least he can be seen on-screen elsewhere.

Katee Sackhoff is among her Battlestar Galactica co-stars to move on to other science fiction and fantasy fodder since the series ended. For example, co-star Tricia Helfer has played a vampire on TV and also appeared on Lucifer and Con Man. Keep staying tuned to find out where the series’ other stars land next.

Another Life will premiere July 25 on Netflix, as part of the streaming giant’s cornucopia of other premieres. There is a lot of new television to look forward to this summer and the sci-fi series is among the choices. You can currently catch Katee Sackhoff streaming already in the drama Longmire on Netflix.

https://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...for-new-series

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 07-10-2019, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Teaser:

post #3 of 101 Old 07-10-2019, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6205 Post(s)
Liked: 6886
How many hours is this series? I'd like to watch because... Katee, but the queue is long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 101 Old 07-10-2019, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked: 4410
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
How many hours is this series? I'd like to watch because... Katee, but the queue is long.
Could always watch "Origin Unknown" in the meantime. It's an okay short. Only bring it up because I stumbled onto it a couple of weeks ago. Can't remember if it was via Amazon or the Dust YouTube channel. Either way, there wasn't a charge.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #5 of 101 Old 07-10-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Could always watch "Origin Unknown" in the meantime. It's an okay short. Only bring it up because I stumbled onto it a couple of weeks ago. Can't remember if it was via Amazon or the Dust YouTube channel. Either way, there wasn't a charge.
I'll give it a try because... Katee. Says it's Amazon Prime Video, but don't know if it's free for Primies or if you have to shell out the 3 clams. Says it was filmed in 9 days. That's, umm, efficient!
post #6 of 101 Old 07-10-2019, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked: 4410
Quote:
I'll give it a try because... Katee. Says it's Amazon Prime Video, but don't know if it's free for Primies or if you have to shell out the 3 clams. Says it was filmed in 9 days. That's, umm, efficient!
Bet they didn't get the CGI done in 9 days, tho

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #7 of 101 Old 07-10-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
There are 10 episodes, time per episode isn't published yet. Let's say an hour each, 10 hours...

Bobby 

post #8 of 101 Old 07-10-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1773
10 episodes released on July 25th...

Between this series, Stranger Things, Jessica Jones, Chasing The Moon.... there's a lot of content to catch up on.
archiguy likes this.

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."
post #9 of 101 Old 07-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
10 episodes released on July 25th...

Between this series, Stranger Things, Jessica Jones, Chasing The Moon.... there's a lot of content to catch up on.
We just finished 'Jessica Jones'. Great season. Really gonna' miss that gal. And her fashionably grunge-chic torn jeans.
Garrett Adams and replayrob like this.
post #10 of 101 Old 07-10-2019, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 7187 Post(s)
Liked: 16324
Starbuck! Another show added to my watch list. I haven't even started Stranger Things 3 and Dark yet.

post #11 of 101 Old 07-11-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4031 Post(s)
Liked: 3741
post #12 of 101 Old 07-15-2019, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

I hate my work computer with a passion.

Post removed.

Last edited by WilliamR; 07-15-2019 at 01:55 PM.
post #13 of 101 Old 07-15-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

^It's the same trailer as the one above it.
post #14 of 101 Old 07-22-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

‘Another Life’ (Netflix)
By Daniel D'Addario, Variety.com - Jul. 22, 2019

Netflix’s new series “Another Life” brings Katee Sackhoff back into space, a decade after the conclusion of “Battlestar Galactica,” the beloved series on which she starred. But her new series looks more like the rest of the fare on the SyFy network — it’s inelegantly made and operates less in the realm of ideas than in pure scares. It’s not ineffective, but little in “Another Life” connects to do much more than the purely visceral.

Which is too bad, not least because the show starts from a point that suggests it has big things on its mind. The arrival (to borrow the title of the 2016 film the plot seems to ape a bit) of a UFO hovering above Earth prompts Sackhoff, an astronaut, to join a mission seeking its origin and its motives. She’s faced first with a mutinous blowhard among her crew (played by the ever-appealing Tyler Hoechlin, who’s given too few notes to play) and then by a creeping space illness that causes one unfortunate astronaut’s nervous system to explode out of her body. It’s compellingly gross.

And that’s about all it is. Sackhoff’s yearning for her family back on earth — evoked through dream sequences and through cuts to their own experiences — doesn’t really land. Though she tries her best, we don’t get to know her as anything other than biographical details: Astronaut, wife, mother. It’s as if the show itself is nervous that making us feel for these characters in a real way is going to mute our identification with the body horror they endure — when, in fact, it’d have the opposite effect.

It’s worth noting briefly that a bright spot in the show is Selma Blair, the actress who’s been recently open about her struggle with multiple sclerosis and who appears as a batty and conspiratorial journalist seeking the truth about the aliens. It’s a deeply silly role that Blair puts her all into, and one that engenders the series’s only real bits of world-building, as the show attempts to convey what life in a future with aliens and deep-space travel might really be like. It’s an aspect of this show that, as is all too rare here, viewers will feel like they haven’t seen before.

“Another Life.” Netflix. July 25.
Ten episodes (four screened for review).

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/ano...ix-1203265818/

post #15 of 101 Old 07-25-2019, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked: 3323
Watching the first episode now. These characters are so annoying.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #16 of 101 Old 07-26-2019, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Episode 1: WTF did I just watch? Maybe the worst hour of television ever. The only thing close is Sharknado, and that was bad on purpose. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a zero.

And Katee Sackhoff , her head moving like a bobblehead and her exaggerated facial expressions was terrible.

I'm not even going to see if it gets better. No more episodes for me.
thehun and DunMunro like this.

Karl S.
post #17 of 101 Old 07-26-2019, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Episode 1: WTF did I just watch? Maybe the worst hour of television ever. The only thing close is Sharknado, and that was bad on purpose. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a zero.

And Katee Sackhoff , her head moving like a bobblehead and her exaggerated facial expressions was terrible.

Ouch! I haven't watched it yet but was really looking forward to it. This doesn't make it sound that good. Odd too because the reviews were not this negative. Well, will give it a try anyway this weekend. Fingers crossed!

post #18 of 101 Old 07-26-2019, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 664
I'll need to check it out. I loved her in BSG and Longmire, she's so hot!!!

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #19 of 101 Old 07-26-2019, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Watched the first episode. Was there actually a director in this thing, or did the show-runner just hire some actors and tell them, “Go out there and emote?” One actor resorted to doing a cartwheel to “express” his joy in a scene! Even the obligatory AI character controlling the ship has emotional frailties. The viewer kind of gets a clue in the first scene when the threat to humanity lands on Earth and proceeds to resemble a giant Jiffy Pop container.

The worst sci-fi show since Lost In Space, which it imitates in plot features btw.
shivaji likes this.

Last edited by Wacojoe; 07-26-2019 at 08:17 AM.
post #20 of 101 Old 07-26-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Watched the first ep. and will say this, to say something positive. It did offer a decent surround sound experience.
thehun and Josh Z like this.
post #21 of 101 Old 07-26-2019, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacojoe View Post
... The worst sci-fi show since Lost In Space, which it imitates in plot features btw.

Are you referring to the original Lost in Space or the Netflix remake? Since I liked both a lot (for different reasons), I guess I'm still giving Another Life a chance over the weekend.

Steve
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
My DVDs
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

post #22 of 101 Old 07-26-2019, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
I'll need to check it out. I loved her in BSG and Longmire, she's so hot!!!
I was only familiar with Sackhoff because she was Vic in Longmire....in six or so years she was never able to find a sheriff's uniform shirt that wasn't 2 or more sizes too small. I didn't really care for Vic.

Karl S.
post #23 of 101 Old 07-26-2019, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked: 3323
Quote:

That's a little stonger than my opinion, but, yeah, even Sackhoff's performance is pretty bad. And the rest of the vapid twenty-something characters are all f'ing idiots. The idea that this would be the crew chosen to save humanity is just absurd.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #24 of 101 Old 07-26-2019, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 251
If you liked either one of those series, then you are the target audience for this disaster.
post #25 of 101 Old 07-26-2019, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
I was only familiar with Sackhoff because she was Vic in Longmire....in six or so years she was never able to find a sheriff's uniform shirt that wasn't 2 or more sizes too small.
So what's your point???

I just finished watching the first three episodes, I'm enjoying it a lot.
YMMV.
JoeTiVo and markmon1 like this.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #26 of 101 Old 07-26-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I will continue past Episode 1, but it felt like Big Brother in space with Katie acting as Julie Chen.
Josh Z likes this.
post #27 of 101 Old 07-26-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Liked: 4979
Good lord this show is horrible.
post #28 of 101 Old 07-26-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 66
To be fair, I've never been a Sackhoff fan, so my reaction to her "acting" in this was anticipated. She has always been a facial pouter/poser, but she tops herself in this hot mess. A really bad show IMO and I won't bother with the rest. As someone else mentioned, to think that these people were the best/brightest to save humanity just shows how little this humanity needed saving.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #29 of 101 Old 07-26-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Better or worse than Nightflyers (which I sat through wishing it would get better)?

Josh
post #30 of 101 Old 07-26-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Um, it looks good(4K/DoVi)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version