• 1 Post By daryl zero

post #1 of 18 Old 07-19-2019, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked: 2381
Unbelievable on Netflix

Netflix Orders ‘Unbelievable’ Limited Series From Susannah Grant, Timberman/Beverly, Katie Couric & CBS Studios

EXCLUSIVE: Netflix has given an eight-episode order to Unbelievable, a limited series from Erin Brockovich writer Susannah Grant, CBS TV Studios, studio-based producers Sarah Timberman and Carl Beverly (Masters of Sex, Elementary) as well as Katie Couric.

Co-written by Grant, who will serve as showrunner, Michael Chabon (John Carter) & Ayelet Waldman (Applebaum), Unbelievable is based on The Marshall Project and ProPublica Pulitzer Prize-winning December 2015 article, An Unbelievable Story of Rape, written by T. Christian Miller and Ken Armstrong, and the This American Life radio episode about the same case, “Anatomy of Doubt.” It tells the true story of Marie, a teenager who was charged with lying about having been raped, and the two female detectives who followed a twisting path to arrive at the truth.

Grant, Chabon, Waldman, Timberman, Beverly and Couric executive produce. Timberman & Beverly and Couric had been independently pursuing the rights to An Unbelievable Story of Rape and decided to join forces on the project.

Unbelievable reunites Grants with Timberman/Beverly and CBS Studios after she created and executive producing the CBS drama series A Gifted Man for them. It marks Timberman/Beverly’s first series at Netflix. It is CBS Studios’ third show at the streaming network, joining American Vandal and the upcoming Insatiable.

https://deadline.com/2018/01/netflix...os-1202266704/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-19-2019, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Official trailer:

post #3 of 18 Old 09-05-2019, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3088
Coming up on Sept 13. This has a terrific cast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-06-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked: 921
It has a good cast/crew, maybe it will be one of the rare Netflix originals that's actually good.
post #5 of 18 Old 09-13-2019, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

From HOTP thread:

Netflix's 'Unbelievable' is a harrowing true crime must-watch
By Kelly Lawler, USA Today - Sep. 13, 2019

The thing about "Unbelievable" is that you have to believe it. It's all true.

Netflix's new miniseries is called "Unbelievable" (streaming Friday, ★★★ out of four) because it's about a time when our system failed, when law enforcement refused to believe a troubled 18-year-old woman who said a masked man broke into her home, tied her to her bed and raped her. Because of that skepticism, and the prejudice against believing women, that rapist was able to sexually assault other women for years, until two female detectives arrested him.

The story was illuminated in a 2015 Pulitzer Prize-winning ProPublica story, "An Unbelievable Story of Rape," and is brought to bleak, upsetting life in Netflix's series created by Susannah Grant ("Erin Brockovich") with a stellar cast including Kaitlyn Dever, Toni Collette and Merritt Wever. But the series wisely leaves any further Hollywood trappings at the door, and portrays a startling, angering, straightforward tragedy that could have been entirely avoided.

"Unbelievable" begins with Marie Adler (Dever), an 18-year-old former foster child in living in transitional housing in Washington state after a rocky childhood in the system. In 2008, Marie is raped by a masked intruder and seeks help from her former foster mothers and the police, who are willing to provide it, at first.

Quickly, the investigation changes from finding a rapist to proving that Marie, living on the edge of poverty with little to no support system, made the whole thing up for attention. The crime scene is too clean, you see, so there's no physical evidence of the crime. Marie isn't acting the way the police or her foster mothers expect her to, and she has a history of being a brat. So obviously, she's lying.

After a series of berating interviews and veiled threats, Marie recants her story and is eventually charged with falsely reporting a crime, which sets off a series of events that alienate her from her friends, leads her to lose her job and psychologically harms her more than the rape did.

Marie's story is interwoven, years later, with the perspectives of Detectives Karen Duvall (Wever) and Grace Rasmussen (Collette), exactly the kind of understanding and vigilant police officers Marie could have used. They are working on rape cases of their own in Colorado, with no leads, when a chance conversation tips off Karen that Grace's case might have the same perpetrator. The two women eventually discover that they are on the trail of a serial rapist. They devote their lives, and the considerable resources of their shared police departments, and the FBI, to finding him.

"Unbelievable" is really two different shows in one, and they sometimes compete for perspective. There's Marie's tragedy, a story of despair and injustice that just keeps getting worse, and there's a compelling police procedural with great actresses playing great detectives, with the same thrills and developments that an episode of "Law & Order" brings. The stories are intertwined, for tragic real-life reasons, but the "Unbelievable" writers often struggle to gracefully transition between them. Although the approach of starting with Marie's ordeal is harrowing and effective, the move to Karen and Grace's narrative is awkward at best.

But "Unbelievable" has such an unbelievable story at its center that the clunkiness grates less as the episodes go on. The series is a warning, a devastating example of the consequences of not believing women. But the writers successfully prevent it from becoming pedantic or hacky. This isn't an after-school special about rape. The blunt, unbecoming direction delivers the message without interference. Wever shines, bringing much to an understated performance. Dever, who broke out in this summer's teen comedy "Booksmart," shows that humor is not all she's capable of.

The series is likely to get slapped with a "#MeToo art" label, but it's reductive to think that the plague of sexual assault, and the systemic criminal justice failures that go along with it, started with Harvey Weinstein. The problems are deep, the solutions are few, and stories like this one are all too common.

"Unbelievable" is about a crime that wasn't taken seriously, but it's not at all hard to believe that it happened.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...ch/2165471001/

post #6 of 18 Old 09-14-2019, 08:16 AM

Wow, this is a riveting show. Best thing I've seen this year. I will say though, that episode 1 is painful to watch - as the police and everyone else in that girl's life just completely fail her.
yobbo likes this.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-15-2019, 06:29 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11328 Post(s)
Liked: 6718
Just finished all eight episodes. Riveting stuff. Merritt Weaver, Toni Collette, and Kaitlyn Dever were all terrific. For anyone who hasn’t watched it yet, this is highly recommended!
post #8 of 18 Old 09-15-2019, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 1764
My wife and I started watching it tonight and only were going to watch 1 but ended up watching 3. It certainly is riveting so far.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-16-2019, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Top series with an apt title.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-16-2019, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

What an incredible show. This was absolutely excellent. Very well done, well acted, and a truly unbelievable story. What a horrible thing Marie went through, just wish those cops got punished for their incompetence. Could not stop watching it. Well done Netflix!

post #11 of 18 Old 09-16-2019, 06:19 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
What an incredible show. This was absolutely excellent. Very well done, well acted, and a truly unbelievable story. What a horrible thing Marie went through, just wish those cops got punished for their incompetence. Could not stop watching it. Well done Netflix!
And to add that is is based on a real-life story makes it even more unbelievable! The relationship between Toni and Merritt’s characters was so good.
post #12 of 18 Old 09-16-2019, 08:21 AM

I tore through this one in less than 2 days, couldn't stop watching.

FWIW, many folks in the mountain states will recall this case. After it all unfolded, he was later linked to crimes in other areas by DNA. I don't think he ever got prosecuted for any of them.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-16-2019, 08:37 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I tore through this one in less than 2 days, couldn't stop watching.

FWIW, many folks in the mountain states will recall this case. After it all unfolded, he was later linked to crimes in other areas by DNA. I don't think he ever got prosecuted for any of them.
I wonder if they were ever able to crack the password on the hard drive? That was a detail left hanging.

Very nice touch with Caitlyn's character making that call at the end of the last episode.
post #14 of 18 Old 09-16-2019, 09:09 AM

Here's an interesting account of "Marie's" story:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/lif...vable-netflix/
AustinJerry likes this.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-16-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Another watched in two days. This production was so good about something so bad. Kudos to the actors and the production team.
AustinJerry and daryl zero like this.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-16-2019, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Another watched in two days. This production was so good about something so bad. Kudos to the actors and the production team.
My wife and I watched the final 5 tonight and finished it in two days. Top job by everyone involved.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #17 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Liked: 3172
Agree with the positive comments. However, I wasn't sure until the third episode where this was headed or if I was going to be that interested in continuing. In the first episode Marie 'lied', and in the second episode, Amber was this quiet, reserved person who smiled a lot, so I wasn't sure if she was lying as well. But when Toni and Merritt joined forces in the third episode, this was when it really took off and became an amazingly compelling series. It wasn't going to be about women lying about being raped, but being victims. My only drawback was Marie. By the end of the 6th episode, her self-destructive attitude became a huge irritant. She lost my sympathy. Yes, she was wronged by the two detectives and she had a rough childhood, going from one foster home to another, but there was one common denominator in all of that - Marie.

Last edited by Aliens; 09-17-2019 at 08:56 AM.
post #18 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Agree with the positive comments. However, I wasn't sure until the third episode where this was headed or if I was going to be that interested in continuing. In the first episode Marie 'lied', and in the second episode, Amber was this quiet, reserved person who smiled a lot, so I wasn't sure if she was lying as well. But when Toni and Merritt joined forces in the third episode, this was when it really took off and became an amazingly compelling series. It wasn't going to be about women lying about being raped, but being victims. My only drawback was Marie. By the end of the 6th episode, her self-destructive attitude became a huge irritant. She lost my sympathy. Yes, she was wronged by the two detectives and she had a rough childhood, going from one foster home to another, but there was one common denominator in all of that - Marie.
I've had your attitude on this (re Marie) previously but I have learned that you cannot judge people who are in completely different settings and whose lives you cannot probably imagine. So how I think I would have handled the situation is really not relevant or helpful nor is it correct for me to judge someone in that situation not having known what they went through unless I just want to be a shallow pr*ck. This character (based upon a real life person) was barely hinted at going through hell numerous times and been in the system since she was 3 without a lot of positive role models or help.
IronWaffle likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page