On Becoming a God in Central Florida on Showtime - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 07-24-2019, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 1724
On Becoming a God in Central Florida on Showtime

The trailer for this new Showtime series starting Aug. 25 has me intrigued. The official description:
Quote:
This dark comedy series stars Kirsten Dunst as Krystal Stubbs, a minimum-wage water park employee who lies, schemes and cons her way up the ranks of the cultish, multibillion-dollar pyramid scheme that drove her family to ruin in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-18-2019, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

This series is off to an enjoyable start. The first two episodes are available on demand (or in the app), though the show doesn't officially premiere until next Sunday.

I had assumed this would be a half-hour dark comedy, like Black Monday or Kidding, but these two episodes are 45 and 50 minutes long respectively. I can see why the first two episodes were released together like this, because, without spoiling anything, the premise's setup isn't really complete until toward the end of the second episode.

I've flirted with the kind of MLM scheme in the 90s that this is probably based on, or rather I flirted with someone into the MLM Equinox, so I can relate to and understand the ins and outs. If you aren't familiar with how product-based MLMs (or pyramid schemes) work and the terminology, you might feel a bit confused at first.

This is now the third Showtime series I've watched since the beginning of this year that was set in the late 80s to early 90s time frame (the others being Black Monday and City on a Hill). They are very different kinds of series, of course, but I find the timing really interesting.
Tack likes this.
post #3 of 38 Old 08-18-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4695 Post(s)
Liked: 4223
awhile back one of my friends tried to get me to join up with him with a company called Amway, one of the better known pyramid schemes...he was a smart guy so I'm surprised he got hooked up with that...I guess some people are more susceptible to that kind of influence, similar to the Jim Jones or Manson Family cult

Last edited by TitusTroy; 08-18-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 08-18-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 1599
Louisiana subs for Central Florida.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #5 of 38 Old 08-18-2019, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
awhile back one of my friends tried to get me to join up with him with a company called Amway, one of the better known pyramid schemes...he was a smart guy so I'm surprised he got hooked up with that...I guess some people are more susceptible to that kind of influence, similar to the Manson Family cult
The get-rich-quick pitch that MLMs constantly push appeals to the same impulse that drives many people to gamble and buy lottery tickets. But in the case of MLMs, the individual is led to believe it's actually something within their control, depending on how hard they work at it. In reality, the most downline people can hope to make is enough to pay for the product(s) they use/consume themselves. And for some, that's enough. My dad (a very experienced and savvy businessman) used to sell a health supplement as part of an MLM and was happy he made enough to pay for his own usage. But where the real scam comes in is that most of these products are either totally worthless and/or overpriced for the market. When I went to a flashy Equinox presentation in the late 90s, I immediately realized that the everyday products (like the ones in this TV series) they were selling were neither special quality-wise nor priced better than what you'd find at a Walmart or Costco.

Regardless, I don't think I'd compare people susceptible to an MLM to the lost, drug-addicted runaways who joined Manson's "family" of anti-establishment serial killers. Though this show certainly does underscore the cult-like mania of some MLM programs led by a charismatic personality.
post #6 of 38 Old 08-18-2019, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 4708 Post(s)
Liked: 6292
Thanks for bumping this, I just watched the two that were availible. This is really well done, just over the top enough. Théodore Pellerin as Cody is really good.
Zookster likes this.
post #7 of 38 Old 08-19-2019, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It looks like the first two episodes will air on the linear Showtime channel when the series officially premieres on Aug. 25, so only a two-week wait until episode three airs (Sept. 1) rather than three weeks from now. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6398232...f_=tt_eps_sn_1
post #8 of 38 Old 08-20-2019, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4241 Post(s)
Liked: 3264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I had assumed this would be a half-hour dark comedy, like Black Monday or Kidding, but these two episodes are 45 and 50 minutes long respectively.
This really should be a half-hour show. It has a lot of promise, but the pacing is off and the first two episodes really drag without as many laughs as I was expecting. Some tightening and fine-tuning would go a long way, IMO.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #9 of 38 Old 08-20-2019, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
This really should be a half-hour show. It has a lot of promise, but the pacing is off and the first two episodes really drag without as many laughs as I was expecting. Some tightening and fine-tuning would go a long way, IMO.
This review from Slate (which is mostly positive: 3 out of 4 stars) agrees with you:
Quote:
The show’s brand of dark, quirky comedy, however, feels stretched a bit thin over 10 episodes of at least 40 minutes each. Suggesting an excellent half-hour comedy saddled with an excess of incident, On Becoming a God doesn’t always know when to pull back on its weird developments and ironical names, resulting in a tone that can feel as derisive as it does empathetic toward people struggling to survive under capitalism.
I wouldn't recommend people who haven't seen the first episode click over to read the rest of the review as the opening paragraph contains a major spoiler.
post #10 of 38 Old 08-20-2019, 07:10 PM

I've been thinking about this since I watched the first two. Couldn't put my finger on it, but Cody's performance reminds me of a Martin Short character.
post #11 of 38 Old 08-21-2019, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I've been thinking about this since I watched the first two. Couldn't put my finger on it, but Cody's performance reminds me of a Martin Short character.
You are no doubt referring to the immortal Ed Grimley:

Panson likes this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #12 of 38 Old 09-02-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2373 Post(s)
Liked: 1953
I watched the first two episodes last night and enjoyed it. I'll catch the third one tonight. It may not have been marketed properly as it's a dark comedy (think "Fargo").
post #13 of 38 Old 09-02-2019, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The third episode didn't have as many laughs for me, but what it lacked in lol humor it made up for in advancing the story and adding to some intriguing new story lines and characters.

I recently re-watched a young Kirsten Dunst in the movie "Marie Antoinette" (also on Showtime), and watching the water aerobics class in this episode, it's apparent she's had some . . . ahem . . . work done.
post #14 of 38 Old 09-02-2019, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
The third episode didn't have as many laughs for me, but what it lacked in lol humor it made up for in advancing the story and adding to some intriguing new story lines and characters.

I recently re-watched a young Kirsten Dunst in the movie "Marie Antoinette" (also on Showtime), and watching the water aerobics class in this episode, it's apparent she's had some . . . ahem . . . work done.
I think it's called babies and extra weight. She clearly is a little heavier all over. Still a gem, being a Minnesotan I loved her in Drop Dead Gorgeous.
Zookster and allargon like this.
post #15 of 38 Old 09-02-2019, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I watched the first two episodes last night and enjoyed it. I'll catch the third one tonight. It may not have been marketed properly as it's a dark comedy (think "Fargo").
The first words in Showtime's official description, which I quoted in the OP, are "this dark comedy series..."
post #16 of 38 Old 09-02-2019, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I think it's called babies and extra weight. She clearly is a little heavier all over. Still a gem, being a Minnesotan I loved her in Drop Dead Gorgeous.
Thanks for fact checking me. She has indeed had a kid within the past year. (I didn't realize she'd had any.) She's always denied rumors of any cosmetic enhancements, but in "Marie Antoinette," she constantly wears corseted costumes, which tend to accentuate bust size and cleavage. In anything she's wearing in this show (even completely covered), she's noticeably much much larger in that area.
post #17 of 38 Old 09-02-2019, 02:44 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 389 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11295 Post(s)
Liked: 6700
Regardless of size of the endowments, I think she is starting to show her middle age (37). As for the show, I keep asking myself why I am watching it. Probably because not much else on right now.
Panson likes this.
post #18 of 38 Old 09-02-2019, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Regardless of size of the endowments, I think she is starting to show her middle age (37). As for the show, I keep asking myself why I am watching it. Probably because not much else on right now.
The Affair and Succession are both running right now.
post #19 of 38 Old 09-02-2019, 04:13 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
The Affair and Succession are both running right now.
I am watching the Affair, and am intrigued by the 20-year flash forwards with Anna Paquin as the adult daughter. I am recording Succession for binge-watching when the season is over. I also watch Lodge 49, which is unusually trippy this year. And the Righteous Gemstones, another show of dubious quality. When you are retired like me, you hope for quite a bit of high-quality programming. This season is falling a bit short, IMO.
post #20 of 38 Old 09-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am watching the Affair, and am intrigued by the 20-year flash forwards with Anna Paquin as the adult daughter. I am recording Succession for binge-watching when the season is over. I also watch Lodge 49, which is unusually trippy this year. And the Righteous Gemstones, another show of dubious quality. When you are retired like me, you hope for quite a bit of high-quality programming. This season is falling a bit short, IMO.

I haven't watched Gemstones but I am enjoying Succession and the Affair so far. We supplement with a lot of British shows when things are slow.
post #21 of 38 Old 09-02-2019, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Snowfall is not only the best show right now, IMO; it's one of the best shows in any given year.
post #22 of 38 Old 09-03-2019, 10:09 AM

Third episode was decent. Took a long time to get to the point though. I'd agree with whoever said this should probably be a half hour.
post #23 of 38 Old 09-03-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 1599
Quote:
Regardless of size of the endowments, I think she is starting to show her middle age (Dunst/37). As for the show, I keep asking myself why I am watching it. Probably because not much else on right now.
Yes, Dunst (37), Weisz (49), ScarJo (34), all over the hump now.

Re Dunst early appearance mention, brought to mind Weisz in a 1993 Inspector Morse episode--"Twilight of the Gods".

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #24 of 38 Old 09-03-2019, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Yes, Dunst (37), Weisz (49), ScarJo (34), all over the hump now.
Hey, everyone's gettin' old these days! Even J-Law and K-Stew are on the cusp of the big 3-0. Plus, I think Stewart is turning into a guy now.
yobbo and Panson like this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #25 of 38 Old 09-17-2019, 04:13 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Wow. The most recent episode definitely jumped the shark.
andwhatnot and Brian Conrad like this.
post #26 of 38 Old 09-19-2019, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow. The most recent episode definitely jumped the shark.
I usually think of "jumping the shark" in terms of a proven popular show that after a few successful seasons made some kind of desperate move or stunt to recapture declining viewership. I don't think this show has even proven what it is or wants to be yet. However, it really did seem to go off of the rails with the Garbeau seminar/retreat episode.
post #27 of 38 Old 09-19-2019, 11:19 AM

I'm still enjoying it quite a bit. We'll see where it goes.
post #28 of 38 Old 09-19-2019, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm still mostly enjoying this and want to see where it goes; I'd especially like to see more of the TV reporter and the ex-FAM guy who's trying to get a family member out. Lately the show hasn't been as laugh-out-loud humorous for me personally as the first couple of episodes were.
post #29 of 38 Old 09-19-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I'm still mostly enjoying this and want to see where it goes; I'd especially like to see more of the TV reporter and the ex-FAM guy who's trying to get a family member out. Lately the show hasn't been as laugh-out-loud humorous for me personally as the first couple of episodes were.
No it's definitely not as LOL funny as it was. One thing that has surprised me so far is how good an actor Kirsten Dunst is. I had no idea. The nuance she displayed during the "slap" scene was amazing. The slaps gradually change meaning and she sold it, no explanation needed in real time. I assume that's not easy.
Zookster likes this.
post #30 of 38 Old 09-19-2019, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
No it's definitely not as LOL funny as it was. One thing that has surprised me so far is how good an actor Kirsten Dunst is. I had no idea. The nuance she displayed during the "slap" scene was amazing. The slaps gradually change meaning and she sold it, no explanation needed in real time. I assume that's not easy.
I totally agree about Kirsten Dunst. She's always been a solid actor.

This show seems more like a quirky indie dramedy along the lines of the Fargo TV show than a dark comedy, like Showtime's Black Monday or Kidding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page