End of the road for "Victoria's Secret Fashion Show" on network TV? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By oriolesmagic
  • 1 Post By Nayan
  • 2 Post By Michael252
  • 2 Post By Aliens
  • 1 Post By Zookster

post #1 of 17 Old 07-31-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 311
End of the road for "Victoria's Secret Fashion Show" on network TV?

Apparently, this year's 2019 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show normally airing on CBS in late November or early December has been canceled, according to model Shanina Shaik.

Viewership for the 2018 show fell precipitously from 2017's numbers, dropping from 5 million down to a record low 3.3 million. So significant changes in the MeToo era seemed destined to occur in any event.

The show's been on the broadcast air for about 20 years now. The 2001 show has (first broadcast in the early days of HDTV), for me, always been the highlight of them all, followed by the 2010 show. They've just been getting cheesier and more costumey/showy ever since, straying far away from the "lingerie" show it once was and moving to just a boring marketing project with feathers and trendy singers. Pretty much lost all entertainment value for me.

We shall see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-31-2019, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I found this VS 2016 Bruno Mars performance rather "stimulating". The girls were really energised by it.

I think, therefore I am single.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-31-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
So another victory for the prudes? Meanwhile every single show on network tv aired in family time slots is full of risque crude plots and dialog that should be R rated.

The dresses worn by the VS and SI models are more modest than those on most shows anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-01-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
So another victory for the prudes? Meanwhile every single show on network tv aired in family time slots is full of risque crude plots and dialog that should be R rated.

The dresses worn by the VS and SI models are more modest than those on most shows anyway.
I think that's the point - the show is for the prudes now days and has no appeal to the masses. It's not what it used to be, so it's not worth watching.

They've traded modesty for ratings and this is the result.
post #5 of 17 Old 08-02-2019, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 311
With last year's move from CBS to family-friendly Disney-owned ABC, the revised casting of the past few years to include both Hadid sisters along with Kendall Jenner to strut down the runway, the sell-by date expiring for Adriana Lima, and the ever-lowering target age skewing of musical acts to provide so-called "musical entertainment", the eventual outcome was clear.

Today's product is not the same as your grandfather's Old spice. The original formula is no more. Doesn't smell or last the same. Proctor & Gamble bought Shulton in 1990.

And as of 2016 Fox's U-Bet chocolate syrup (which is the only chocolate syrup certified for use in a NY egg cream) is no longer made by the 5-generation company founded in 1895 by the Fox family from Brooklyn, but rather is now owned by Gold's Pure Foods which is one of the food companies owned by the Westminster Foods conglomerate, which is just one of the holdings of the LaSalle Capital Holding equity company. And the original formula is no more. Doesn't taste or pour the same.

All things must change, seemingly always for the worst.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-02-2019, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 221
A more appropriate question is whether Victoria's Secret in its entirety is nearing the end of the road.

Their sales are cratering both from a MeToo perspective, and also from the fact that there's more women-centric lingerie options in the marketplace now. And with most of their locations being in malls, they're probably not long for this world.
Panson likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-02-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmagic View Post
A more appropriate question is whether Victoria's Secret in its entirety is nearing the end of the road.

Their sales are cratering both from a MeToo perspective, and also from the fact that there's more women-centric lingerie options in the marketplace now. And with most of their locations being in malls, they're probably not long for this world.
In my mall, there used to be a couple lingerie shops (I believe one was a national chain besides VS but the name escapes me) and the largest store besides the big names like Penny's was VS. It was massive and took up almost the entire north side. I went to the mall recently (haven't been in ages) and not only were both shops gone but VS was maybe 1/8th it's original size. Really small store now, only a handful of bras and other merchandise. The mall itself though is about 95% occupied, which is surprising but I am glad they are doing well.
Panson likes this.

I really ought to act more like a woman of my advancing years, but I’m growing old disgracefully.
post #8 of 17 Old 08-02-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked: 4165
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmagic View Post

Yes, they've been on the ropes for some time. For television exposure, I thought one of the adult cable channels would've been a better fit.

European market's probably better for such things.

Recently, the regurgitated Les Wexner connections with VS and Jeffrey Epstein wouldn't have helped.

Anybody's guess what's next. Mall kiosks with brown paper bags?

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #9 of 17 Old 08-02-2019, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
In my mall, there used to be a couple lingerie shops (I believe one was a national chain besides VS but the name escapes me)
Perhaps Frederick's of Hollywood?
Nayan and gprace like this.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-02-2019, 11:58 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked: 3726
Other than fashion geeks and fantasy seekers, why would men be interested in this show? If you want to get off on your fantasies, the internet is loaded with this kind of stuff.
Zookster and Nayan like this.
post #11 of 17 Old 08-02-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked: 2347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Other than fashion geeks and fantasy seekers, why would men be interested in this show? If you want to get off on your fantasies, the internet is loaded with this kind of stuff.
Exactly. Unless you are 12 years old and your mommy put parental locks on all your devices, why lament the end of an annually televised showcase of scantily-clad, anorexic models wearing convoluted wing contraptions when there's a million+ times more of similar, if not better, content just a click away on anyone's computer? It's like beauty pageants. Regardless of how social standards have changed in terms of the acceptability of parading women around broadcast TV screens as, first and foremost, sex objects, the real need such pageants and fashion shows catered to has long since been met and superseded by a multi-billion dollar online industry.
Nayan likes this.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-02-2019, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 7717 Post(s)
Liked: 17523
Quote:
Links please.
Spoiler!

post #13 of 17 Old 08-02-2019, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
The voyeur force is strong in me.

It's not always what you see, but the tantalisingly small portions that you can't see.

Peek A Boo Baby !!

I think, therefore I am single.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-03-2019, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6189 Post(s)
Liked: 5663
I think the appeal of these VS shows is not the skimpy outfits by itself but the 'celebrity' aspect of it...Gigi Hadid, Kendall Jenner, Candice Swanepoel, Adriana Lima etc in VS lingerie is what people tune in to see...
post #15 of 17 Old 08-05-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3493 Post(s)
Liked: 3300
You can see it every day on Yahoo's home page ...

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-05-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Kinda why I cancelled my years long Playboy subscription.
post #17 of 17 Old 08-05-2019, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 6903 Post(s)
Liked: 7824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRAYB View Post
Kinda why I cancelled my years long Playboy subscription.
If the VS models simply showed as much as Playboy models and ditched those ridiculous wings and other outrageous apparatuses it could be made PPV and have an audience of 30 million +. Might resuscitate the whole brand.

There's a lot of competition for eyeballs out there in the TV landscape these days. Might as well make 'em open wide. They're not thinking big enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page