post #1 of 9 Old 08-07-2019, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2076 Post(s)
Liked: 2675
Deputy on FOX

'Deputy’: Kim Harrison Upped To Showrunner On New Fox Drama Series

EXCLUSIVE: There is a change at the helm of Fox’s upcoming police drama Deputy starring Stephen Dorff.

Kim Harrison, an executive producer on the midseason series, from Entertainment One and Fox Entertainment, has been named new showrunner. On the series, created by Will Beall, she succeeds Barry Schindel. Additionally, joining Deputy as an executive producer is Yellowstone co-executive producer John Coveny.

Beall and Schindel remain executive producers on Deputy but are not expected to have day-to-day involvement on the show.
Written by Beall and directed by David Ayer, Deputy is a modern cop drama that blends the spirit of a classic Western with a modern-day attitude and gritty authenticity. When the Los Angeles County’s Sheriff dies, an arcane rule forged back in the Wild West thrusts the most unlikely man into the job: a fifth-generation lawman (Dorff), more comfortable taking down bad guys than navigating a sea of politics. He leads a skilled team of ambitious and complicated human beings who won’t rest until justice is served.
Yara Martinez, Brian Van Holt, Siena Goines, Bex Taylor-Klaus, Shane Paul McGhie and Mark Moses co-star.

Harrison previously served as co-executive producer on the Fox drama series Star.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/deputy-...el-1202662881/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-07-2019, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Official trailer:

post #3 of 9 Old 01-02-2020, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

From HOTP thread:

Fox's Deputy looks bullet-proof on a network that's lately rolling
By Ed Bark, UncleBarky.com - Dec. 30, 2019

Fox lately has out-gamed its three main broadcast network rivals in ringing out the old and replenishing its prime-time schedule with new audience-grabbers.

The Masked Singer and 9-1-1 have been immediate breakout hits, with a Texas-based 9-1-1 spinoff coming later in January. The Resident and Beat Shazam are solid ratings performers while WWE Friday Night Smackdown body-slams the competition among advertiser-prized 18-to-49-year-olds.

If you’ve seen any of these shows, you’ve also seen a heavy dose of promotions for Fox’s Deputy, the network’s likely sure-fire big bet for midseason. Part retro, part “woke,” it premieres on Thursday, Jan. 2nd at 8 p.m. (central) alongside another Fox success story, the returning Last Man Standing reboot with back-to-back episodes featuring Jay Leno and Terry Bradshaw. Fox also happens to have the 2020 Super Bowl. This is what being on a roll looks like.

Deputy’s leading man is played by Stephen Dorff, a standout in HBO’s third season of True Detective alongside Mahershala Ali. When the Los Angeles County sheriff conveniently dies of a heart attack, Dorff’s hard-headed, hard-driving, Ivory Tower-despising, fifth generation lawman Bill Hollister inherits the job via the dictates of an arcane charter dating back to the Old West.

But Hollister also has a creamy nougat of a heart when it comes to the downtrodden and oppressed. An impending ICE roundup of suspected illegal immigrants goes against his grain and prompts the first of several prototypical clashes with officious higher-upper Jerry London (Mark Moses).

“I don’t give a pinch of dry turd how those folks got here,” Hollister retorts. His duty, he says, is to protect them.

Even so, Hollister also regularly downloads Clint Eastwood’s “Dirty Harry” Callahan when it comes to ignoring “procedure” during the course of punching, shooting, chasing and cuffing L.A.’s endless supply of dirt bags.

“Too many save-asses. And not enough ass-kickers!” he bellows in the first episode, one of three made available for review.

Hollister is married to the equally strong-willed Paula Reyes (Yara Martinez), a chief trauma surgeon with little patience for him when it comes to her patients. But they’re always a team at crunch time -- and also parents of a so far slightly seen teenage girl whom dad doesn’t want dressing like a “feral Kardashian.”

The other woman in his life is whip-smart, severely dressed and coiffed deputy Brianna Bishop (Bex Taylor-Klaus), whose main duties are driving Hollister around, keeping him on schedule and putting him in his place. Bishop is openly gay and in L.A. after quitting the Pentagon to be with her true love, who’s glimpsed in Episode 2.

The cast is rounded out by Hollister’s military veteran partner Cade Ward (Brian Van Holt) and his godson, Joseph Harris (Shane Paul McGhie), whose father was killed while partnering with Hollister. Harris is now a newly minted and very baby-faced cadet striving to be the man his father was while Hollister is determined not to “lose him” as well.

The script very occasionally crackles when not making a fool of itself with lines like, “Badge or no badge, I’ll always come after scum like you.” Most of the better lines go to Bishop when confronting Hollister about his overall comportment.

Deputy otherwise is never too far from an action scene replete with automatic weapons fire. After all, Hollister is “serious as a heart attack” about taking some big chomps out of crime. He’s very careful, however, not to be politically incorrect about it. Meanwhile, the go-to channel for breaking crime news is always L.A.’s Fox 11.

All of this is too ham-handed to merit a seal of approval from yours truly or likely most other TV critics. Not that it will matter in the least. Deputy very much looks as though it will be bullet-proof on a network that has pushed a lot of receptive buttons of late. Take it from bad ass Bill Hollister, who barks at the end of Episode One, “Buckle up. I’m just gettin’ started.”

'DEPUTY'
Premiering: Thursday, Jan. 2nd at 8 p.m. central [9 p.m. eastern] on Fox
GRADE: C+

https://www.unclebarky.com/board_fil...f4ef3-405.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-02-2020, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 346
I have it set to record, we're kind of suckers for cop shows
cyfman likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-03-2020, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I have it set to record, we're kind of suckers for cop shows
The trailer really looks good IMO. Looking forward to checking it out this weekend.

post #6 of 9 Old 01-03-2020, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
I got through 15 minutes before dumping it. His elevation to Chief was beyond ridiculous.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-04-2020, 12:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Borderline "Meh" for me. As mentioned the bit with the lead getting the Chief position was a big stretch, and there was way too many bullets flying through too much of the show for my taste. I don't mid a decent gun fight, but seems like there was 3, 4 or 5 of them in the first hour. I'll give it one more try.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-05-2020, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 346
It was a quick action-packed hour, Season Pass for now
sparky7, cyfman and WilliamR like this.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-06-2020, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

I found it interesting enough to continue for a few more episodes. Wasn't top quality and wasn't horrible but entertaining. Will give them a few more to see if they improve. I think him winning the election is a done deal, wouldn't be much of a show if he didn't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page