City of Angels - Penny Dreadful Sequel - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes
  • 4 Post By Josh Z
  • 2 Post By replayrob
  • 2 Post By Josh Z
  • 3 Post By TitusTroy
  • 5 Post By Josh Z
  • 1 Post By archiguy
  • 2 Post By Doe Doe
  • 1 Post By WilliamR

post #1 of 28 Old 08-14-2019, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2157 Post(s)
Liked: 2933
City of Angels - Penny Dreadful Sequel

Piper Perabo Joins Cast of Showtime's Penny Dreadful 'Sequel' City of Angels
By Dave Nemetz, TVLine.com - Aug. 13, 2019

Piper Perabo has a Dreadful new TV role lined up: The Covert Affairs veteran has joined the cast of Showtime’s upcoming Penny Dreadful offshoot City of Angels.

The “sequel” series — first announced last November — will be set in 1938 Los Angeles, with Fear the Walking Dead alum Daniel Zovatto starring as a detective investigating a grisly murder. Perabo will recur as Linda Craft, wife of Dr. Peter Craft (played by Penny Dreadful‘s Rory Kinnear), who is “disappointed with her husband and bored with her constrained suburban life,” according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Perabo joins a star-studded cast: Along with Zovatto and Kinnear, Penny Dreadful: City of Angels will also feature Game of Thrones‘ Natalie Dormer, Halt and Catch Fire‘s Kerry Bishé and Nathan Lane. Production on the series is set to begin later this month.

Best known for playing CIA agent Annie Walker on USA Network’s Covert Affairs — a role that earned her a Golden Globe nomination in 2010 — Perabo has also had recent roles on Netflix’s Idris Elba-led sitcom Turn Up Charlie, ABC’s short-lived drama Notorious and NBC’s Go On.

https://tvline.com/2019/08/13/piper-...e-linda-craft/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-14-2019, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Started a new thread since this is a new show, new cast, new time period, etc. Wasn't sure if we wanted to keep the original going with the new show.

Penny Dreadful Returns! Showtime Orders New 'Real World' Chapter

Penny Dreadful is (sort of) being revived at Showtime. The premium cabler has handed a series order to Penny Dreadful: City of Angels, a 1930s-set follow-up described as the “next chapter” in the franchise.

The series, which is being hailed as a “spiritual descendant” of the original three-season show, will feature all new characters. The story begins in 1938 Los Angeles, “a time and place deeply infused with Mexican-American folklore and social tension,” according to the official logline. “Rooted in the conflict between characters connected to the deity Santa Muerte and others allied with the Devil,” the show “will explore an exciting mix of the supernatural and the combustible reality of that period, creating new occult myths and moral dilemmas within a genuine historical backdrop.” Penny Dreadful creator John Logan will serve as showrunner and executive-produce alongside Michael Aguilar (Kidding).

“We were so thrilled when John Logan came to us with this wildly original take on the Penny Dreadful mythology that explores both the human spirit and the spirit world here in California,” Gary Levine, President of Programming at Showtime Networks, said in a statement. “Penny Dreadful: City of Angels promises to be an extraordinary saga of familial love set against the terrifying monsters that are around us and within us.”

Logan also released a statement. “Penny Dreadful: City of Angels will have a social consciousness and historical awareness that we chose not to explore in the Penny Dreadful London storylines,” he said. “We will now be grappling with specific historical and real world political, religious, social and racial issues. In 1938, Los Angeles was facing some hard questions about its future and its soul. Our characters must do the same. There are no easy answers. There are only powerful questions and arresting moral challenges. As always in the world of Penny Dreadful, there are no heroes or villains in this world, only protagonists and antagonists; complicated and conflicted characters living on the fulcrum of moral choice.”

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels is set to begin production in 2019.

https://tvline.com/2018/11/01/penny-...showtime-2019/

post #3 of 28 Old 08-14-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
Piper Perabo = I'm in

Loved her as Anne Walker in Covert Affairs.

"Any year the Pats don't get to the SB is a good year"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 08-14-2019, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4992 Post(s)
Liked: 3983
I'd be more excited for this if the original series hadn't ended so poorly.
Keenan, WilliamR, archiguy and 1 others like this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #5 of 28 Old 08-14-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ yes, the whole affair was very strange and disappointing.

I don't think it was actually canceled by the network (as is the case 99.9% of the time).
archiguy and WilliamR like this.

post #6 of 28 Old 08-14-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
^ yes, the whole affair was very strange and disappointing.

I don't think it was actually canceled by the network (as is the case 99.9% of the time).

I don't either. It seemed like John Logan made a last minute decision right before the finale that he was done with the show and didn't want anyone else to continue it without him.
replayrob and WilliamR like this.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #7 of 28 Old 08-14-2019, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5743 Post(s)
Liked: 5256
I believe Logan when he said that he planned the final season as the end...but where I think he miscalculated was in thinking that the show could not go on without Eva Green...she was a big part of its success but there were a lot of other really interesting characters that could have carried the show
allargon, replayrob and archiguy like this.
post #8 of 28 Old 08-15-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Penny Dreadful is such a fantastic show and totally unknown, just the dialog on the show makes it better than 99.9% of tv and we haven't yet come to actors, setting, plot, filming etc.
post #9 of 28 Old 12-18-2019, 11:00 AM

Penny Dreadful first look: Natalie Dormer descends upon the City of Angels

Dormer portrays Magda, a shape-shifting demon and "agent of chaos" in 1930's Los Angeles...

https://ew.com/tv/2019/12/18/penny-d...atalie-dormer/
post #10 of 28 Old 12-18-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2775 Post(s)
Liked: 1360
I'll give this a try so long as the reviews are halfway decent. But based on how the previous series ended, I don't expect much.

I wasn't even that big a fan of the original -- I liked the 2nd season (w/ the witches), but wasn't a fan of the emo Frankenstein's creature nor the mess of the final season. Eva Green was pretty much the only reason to even watch the show.
post #11 of 28 Old 12-18-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay... seems like a strange story/series, but I'll give it a try in 2020.

post #12 of 28 Old 12-30-2019, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Penny Dreadful first look: Natalie Dormer descends upon the City of Angels

Dormer portrays Magda, a shape-shifting demon and "agent of chaos" in 1930s Los Angeles.

John Logan, Penny Dreadful’s architect, was just as shocked as the rest of us to learn there were more stories to tell.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/12/18/penny-d...atalie-dormer/

post #13 of 28 Old 12-30-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
I loved the original. It was great because of Eva Green and the rest of the cast, but mostly because of the fantastic writing. Sadly it wasn't that popular precisely because of this - most people think its some horror show that ended suddenly. I think it was forced to end because it was dropping in ratings, because its a bit too much for the general public who like simple dumbed down tv and reality shows.

The show never got the cult following or recognition of shows like True Detective or Fargo even though its every bit as good.

I don't really have high hopes for the new series but lets see.
post #14 of 28 Old 01-13-2020, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 2505
post #15 of 28 Old 01-13-2020, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

‘Penny Dreadful: City Of Angels’: Original Series Won’t Seep Into Sequel, But It’s All About 2020 – TCA

You would think that a supernatural series involving mediums, one set in the 19th century and the other in 1938, would be cosmically connected. But Showtime’s Penny Dreadful: City of Angels, won’t have any callbacks, Easter Eggs or direct connections to the original 2014-2016 series. That show starred Eva Green as medium Vanessa Ives as she teamed with Sir Malcolm Murray, American gunslinger Ethan Chandler, scientist Victor Frankenstein to combat supernatural threats in Victorian London.

“As fond as I am about that series, that was a complete novel. It closed at the end, appropriately with that story, that poetic sad story we were telling,” says Penny Dreadful franchise creator/EP and writer John Logan about the mother show

City of Angels is set in 1938, and while there will be black magic and the macabre, with Game of Thrones alum Natalie Dormer as Magda, a supernatural demon who can take on the appearance of anyone she chooses, it’s all about now and what’s going on in a Donald Trump-led divided nation.

The set-up for City of Angels is a grisly murder that rocks L.A which detective Tiago Vega (Daniel Zovatto) and his partner Lewis Michener (Nathan Lane) become embroiled in, delving them into the city’s Mexican-American folklore roots, the rise of radio evangelism and the Third Reich’s dangerous espionage acts at that time.

“What John (Logan) is dealing thematically with this show, as he says, it’s set in 1938, but it’s about 2020. It’s about the dangers of demagoguery, it’s about the demonization of the other, it’s about nationalist fervor, it’s about people being terrified, it’s about new transportation, new technologies, the constant threat of war, it’s about people being at this moment in history and not being able to see what the next ten years is going to be and they’re terrified. And that’s why 1938, right bang smack a year before the second World War, is relevant for everything that is happening right now,” explained Dormer at TCA this morning.

“It’s, like, now I’m scared,” responded one journo to her logline, off which Dormer said, “Let’s all be grateful that Iran isn’t throwing bombs at us right now.”

Logan put up two maps of Los Angeles County at the start of the session, one from 1938 and one from 2020, the big difference being the highways in the latter.

“What strikes me is the free exchange of ideas, information and culture,” explains Logan in regards to the older map.

“The first thing you note is the freeways. What began as a civil engineering project, turned into sort of a de-facto social engineering. We no longer have Sugar Hill or Bunker Hill or Sonoratown. We created quarantine zones,” said the creator referring to the rise of East LA and Watts, “This pattern that began in Los Angeles was replicated across the country.”

“If you live at Cesar Chavez avenue, and you were to walk to Los Angeles County General hospital, less than a half mile away, you’d have to cross 41 lanes of freeway. I found that to be a compelling story to tell, and that’s where it came from,” said Logan as one of his chief inspirations for the follow-up series.

City of Angels also stars Kerry Bishé, Rory Kinnear, Adriana Barraza, Michael Gladis, Jessica Garza and Johnathan Nieves. Lorenza Izzo, Adam Rodriguez, Amy Madigan, Brent Spiner, Lin Shaye, Thomas Kretschmann, Dominic Sherwood and Ethan Peck are set to recur as guest stars.

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels will premiere on Showtime on April 26 at 10 pm ET/PT.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/penny-d...er-1202829167/

post #16 of 28 Old 01-13-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
“As fond as I am about that series, that was a complete novel. It closed at the end, appropriately with that story, that poetic sad story we were telling,” says Penny Dreadful franchise creator/EP and writer John Logan about the mother show
He really wants people to believe that the ending of that show wasn't hastily thrown together as a "finale" at the last minute, doesn't he? Having watched it, I'm not buying what he's selling.
archiguy, Keenan, Doe Doe and 2 others like this.

Josh Z

post #17 of 28 Old 01-13-2020, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6727 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
He really wants people to believe that the ending of that show wasn't hastily thrown together as a "finale" at the last minute, doesn't he? Having watched it, I'm not buying what he's selling.
Very true. They were clearly setting up another season with another group of historical myth-monsters. 'Penny Dreadful' didn't "end". It just stopped.
replayrob likes this.
post #18 of 28 Old 01-13-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Very true. They were clearly setting up another season with another group of historical myth-monsters. 'Penny Dreadful' didn't "end". It just stopped.
I agree...no way was that planned all along as a series finale...I remember watching the finale and the words 'The End' popped up...it was only after it aired that Showtime confirmed its cancellation saying that Logan planned it as the end and wanted it to be a surprise...I didn't buy it then and I don't buy it now...Logan said that the show was all about Eve Green's character and her death was the end

I actually thought the other characters were just as interesting if not moreso then Green's Vanessa Ives...I think Green wanted to leave the show and go back to doing movies and Logan was caught off guard and decided to end it
post #19 of 28 Old 01-13-2020, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I actually thought the other characters were just as interesting if not moreso then Green's Vanessa Ives...I think Green wanted to leave the show and go back to doing movies and Logan was caught off guard and decided to end it
I wasn't so fond of the other characters myself. I couldn't stand emo frankenstein's creature, and other characters... eh, okay as supporting characters, but not enough for me to hold the show together. And the overall story arc did revolve around Ives, so I can see the logic of ending it if she was planning to leave the show. Eva Green was kind of the only reason I liked the show at all. And even then, primarily just the 2nd season where it felt like it had a strong story from start to finish.

But you are right as far as the finale goes, that was one weird way to end the show. It felt like he got a cancellation notion midway through shooting the final season. They even introduced characters that felt like setups for future storylines ... then zip-zap, here is the ending, all done.
post #20 of 28 Old 01-13-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I wasn't so fond of the other characters myself. I couldn't stand emo frankenstein's creature, and other characters... eh, okay as supporting characters, but not enough for me to hold the show together. And the overall story arc did revolve around Ives, so I can see the logic of ending it if she was planning to leave the show. Eva Green was kind of the only reason I liked the show at all. And even then, primarily just the 2nd season where it felt like it had a strong story from start to finish.

But you are right as far as the finale goes, that was one weird way to end the show. It felt like he got a cancellation notion midway through shooting the final season. They even introduced characters that felt like setups for future storylines ... then zip-zap, here is the ending, all done.
I thought the Brona Croft character had an interesting arc and it seemed they were setting things up for future seasons...same with Ethan Chandler and Malcolm Murray (played by Timothy Dalton)...the only character I found to be a bit boring was Dorian Gray

this new series is such a big departure from what made the original so appealing...sort of reminds me of The Terror show on AMC which had a radical shift from Season 1 to Season 2 but that was to be expected as it was always planned as an anthology series
post #21 of 28 Old 01-13-2020, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I thought the Brona Croft character had an interesting arc and it seemed they were setting things up for future seasons...same with Ethan Chandler and Malcolm Murray (played by Timothy Dalton)...the only character I found to be a bit boring was Dorian Gray

this new series is such a big departure from what made the original so appealing...sort of reminds me of The Terror show on AMC which had a radical shift from Season 1 to Season 2 but that was to be expected as it was always planned as an anthology series
Dorian felt like a complete waste to me in the entire show. Like they were trying to shoehorn in as many 'monsters' as possible but didn't know what to do with them all.

I'm not sure how well this new Penny will do without it's Victorian gothic theme. Also not sure why even call it Penny Dreadful at all, as they were cheap british books of the 1800s, not really around in 1938 LA.
TitusTroy and archiguy like this.
post #22 of 28 Old 01-13-2020, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
‘Penny Dreadful: City Of Angels’: Original Series Won’t Seep Into Sequel, But It’s All About 2020 – TCA

City of Angels is set in 1938, and while there will be black magic and the macabre, with Game of Thrones alum Natalie Dormer as Magda, a supernatural demon who can take on the appearance of anyone she chooses, it’s all about now and what’s going on in a Donald Trump-led divided nation.

“What John (Logan) is dealing thematically with this show, as he says, it’s set in 1938, but it’s about 2020. It’s about the dangers of demagoguery, it’s about the demonization of the other, it’s about nationalist fervor, it’s about people being terrified, it’s about new transportation, new technologies, the constant threat of war, it’s about people being at this moment in history and not being able to see what the next ten years is going to be and they’re terrified. And that’s why 1938, right bang smack a year before the second World War, is relevant for everything that is happening right now,” explained Dormer at TCA this morning.

“It’s, like, now I’m scared,” responded one journo to her logline, off which Dormer said, “Let’s all be grateful that Iran isn’t throwing bombs at us right now.”

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels will premiere on Showtime on April 26 at 10 pm ET/PT.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/penny-d...er-1202829167/
Remember a time when you could go to the movies, enjoy a good show, watch a sporting event or even an awards show (I miss you Bob Hope), and just enjoy the escapism of being entertained/of putting the daily "real" world behind you. Actors and directors that wanted to entertain...tell a good story and not lecture.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3800/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 4K Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #23 of 28 Old 01-13-2020, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked: 1921
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
Remember a time when you could go to the movies, enjoy a good show, watch a sporting event or even an awards show (I miss you Bob Hope), and just enjoy the escapism of being entertained/of putting the daily "real" world behind you. Actors and directors that wanted to entertain...tell a good story and not lecture.
I think art derives from the times you live in which inform the content. However, if you want fluffy entertainment, there is a heck of a lot of it out there so no reason to complain about one show's use of hard issues.

"Don't blame me -- I voted for Kodos." Homer Simpson
post #24 of 28 Old 01-13-2020, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I think art derives from the times you live in which inform the content. However, if you want fluffy entertainment, there is a heck of a lot of it out there so no reason to complain about one show's use of hard issues.
Of course all art derives from the current times. It is just sad that directors/actors aren't talented enough or sure enough of their work to let their "art" speak for itself. I have no problem with the message as long as the entertainment doesn't get lost in the message. It is almost as if they don't believe the average viewer is smart enough to get the message without being told.

I will give the first episode a watch to see if it is "fluffy" enough "entertainment" for my tastes.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3800/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 4K Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #25 of 28 Old 01-13-2020, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked: 1921
Not all media is art. As I said, if you want to watch something that is non-controversial, there are plenty of options.
So I'm not sure if your complaint was about media/art in general or just about this show.
Like you, I'll probably test the waters but I thought the original show was decent but raised many levels by the great acting talent.

"Don't blame me -- I voted for Kodos." Homer Simpson
post #26 of 28 Old 03-06-2020, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 2505
post #27 of 28 Old 03-07-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
this doesn't look bad (doesn't look all that good either)...it's just that most people would prefer a continuation of the previous series...the Victorian England time period was a great setting...this new season looks like an LA Confidential meets The Terror mashup...
post #28 of 28 Old 03-25-2020, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

BTS: Inside Season 1 - Penny Dreadful: City of Angels

Keenan likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version