City of Angels - Penny Dreadful Sequel - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 4 Post By Josh Z
  • 2 Post By replayrob
  • 2 Post By Josh Z
  • 3 Post By TitusTroy

post #1 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
City of Angels - Penny Dreadful Sequel

Piper Perabo Joins Cast of Showtime's Penny Dreadful 'Sequel' City of Angels
By Dave Nemetz, TVLine.com - Aug. 13, 2019

Piper Perabo has a Dreadful new TV role lined up: The Covert Affairs veteran has joined the cast of Showtime’s upcoming Penny Dreadful offshoot City of Angels.

The “sequel” series — first announced last November — will be set in 1938 Los Angeles, with Fear the Walking Dead alum Daniel Zovatto starring as a detective investigating a grisly murder. Perabo will recur as Linda Craft, wife of Dr. Peter Craft (played by Penny Dreadful‘s Rory Kinnear), who is “disappointed with her husband and bored with her constrained suburban life,” according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Perabo joins a star-studded cast: Along with Zovatto and Kinnear, Penny Dreadful: City of Angels will also feature Game of Thrones‘ Natalie Dormer, Halt and Catch Fire‘s Kerry Bishé and Nathan Lane. Production on the series is set to begin later this month.

Best known for playing CIA agent Annie Walker on USA Network’s Covert Affairs — a role that earned her a Golden Globe nomination in 2010 — Perabo has also had recent roles on Netflix’s Idris Elba-led sitcom Turn Up Charlie, ABC’s short-lived drama Notorious and NBC’s Go On.

https://tvline.com/2019/08/13/piper-...e-linda-craft/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
Started a new thread since this is a new show, new cast, new time period, etc. Wasn't sure if we wanted to keep the original going with the new show.

Penny Dreadful Returns! Showtime Orders New 'Real World' Chapter

Penny Dreadful is (sort of) being revived at Showtime. The premium cabler has handed a series order to Penny Dreadful: City of Angels, a 1930s-set follow-up described as the “next chapter” in the franchise.

The series, which is being hailed as a “spiritual descendant” of the original three-season show, will feature all new characters. The story begins in 1938 Los Angeles, “a time and place deeply infused with Mexican-American folklore and social tension,” according to the official logline. “Rooted in the conflict between characters connected to the deity Santa Muerte and others allied with the Devil,” the show “will explore an exciting mix of the supernatural and the combustible reality of that period, creating new occult myths and moral dilemmas within a genuine historical backdrop.” Penny Dreadful creator John Logan will serve as showrunner and executive-produce alongside Michael Aguilar (Kidding).

“We were so thrilled when John Logan came to us with this wildly original take on the Penny Dreadful mythology that explores both the human spirit and the spirit world here in California,” Gary Levine, President of Programming at Showtime Networks, said in a statement. “Penny Dreadful: City of Angels promises to be an extraordinary saga of familial love set against the terrifying monsters that are around us and within us.”

Logan also released a statement. “Penny Dreadful: City of Angels will have a social consciousness and historical awareness that we chose not to explore in the Penny Dreadful London storylines,” he said. “We will now be grappling with specific historical and real world political, religious, social and racial issues. In 1938, Los Angeles was facing some hard questions about its future and its soul. Our characters must do the same. There are no easy answers. There are only powerful questions and arresting moral challenges. As always in the world of Penny Dreadful, there are no heroes or villains in this world, only protagonists and antagonists; complicated and conflicted characters living on the fulcrum of moral choice.”

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels is set to begin production in 2019.

https://tvline.com/2018/11/01/penny-...showtime-2019/

post #3 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
Piper Perabo = I'm in

Loved her as Anne Walker in Covert Affairs.

"we're still here!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4058 Post(s)
Liked: 3075
I'd be more excited for this if the original series hadn't ended so poorly.
archiguy, Keenan, WilliamR and 1 others like this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
^ yes, the whole affair was very strange and disappointing.

I don't think it was actually canceled by the network (as is the case 99.9% of the time).
archiguy and WilliamR like this.

"we're still here!"
post #6 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4058 Post(s)
Liked: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
^ yes, the whole affair was very strange and disappointing.

I don't think it was actually canceled by the network (as is the case 99.9% of the time).

I don't either. It seemed like John Logan made a last minute decision right before the finale that he was done with the show and didn't want anyone else to continue it without him.
replayrob and WilliamR like this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked: 3994
I believe Logan when he said that he planned the final season as the end...but where I think he miscalculated was in thinking that the show could not go on without Eva Green...she was a big part of its success but there were a lot of other really interesting characters that could have carried the show
archiguy, replayrob and allargon like this.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-15-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Penny Dreadful is such a fantastic show and totally unknown, just the dialog on the show makes it better than 99.9% of tv and we haven't yet come to actors, setting, plot, filming etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page