Dune: The Sisterhood Series on HBO Max - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By WilliamR
  • 1 Post By archiguy

post #1 of 8 Old 08-20-2019, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked: 2335
Dune: The Sisterhood Series on HBO Max

'Dune: The Sisterhood’ Series Ordered By WarnerMedia Streaming Service With Denis Villeneuve Directing

WarnerMedia has given a straight-to-series order to Dune: The Sisterhood, a drama from Legendary Television based on Frank Herbert’s classic novel Dune and the popular sci-fi franchise it spawned.

The series is designed to co-exist with the Dune feature film, which is in production at Warner Bros, as part of Legendary’s comprehensive plans for Dune that also include video games, digital content packages and comic book series.

Further underlining the symbiotic relationship between the movie and the series, Denis Villeneuve, who is directing and producing the new Dune film, also is set to executive produce the series and direct its pilot episode, with one of the feature’s co-writers, Jon Spaihts set to write the show. It mirrors NBCUniversal ‘s approach to the Purge franchise, which also encompasses a film and TV series franchise.

Frank Herbert’s Dune portrays a future in which humanity has spread across the galaxy to thousands of worlds, all ruled by the Padishah Emperor, The Imperium. Dune: The Sisterhood explores this universe through the eyes of a mysterious order of women: the Bene Gesserit. Given extraordinary abilities by their mastery of the body and the mind, the Bene Gesserit expertly weave through the feudal politics and intrigue of The Imperium, pursuing plans of their own that will ultimately lead them to the enigmatic planet Arrakis — known to its inhabitants as Dune.

Villeneuve, who also is a co-writer on the upcoming Dune movie and Spaihts will executive produce with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate. Kevin J Anderson will co-produce.

“The Bene Gesserit have always been fascinating to me. Focusing a series around that powerful order of women seemed not only relevant and inspiring but a dynamic setting for the television series,” Villeneuve said.

There have been 20 books in the Dune series that have built a layered universe. The first six novels were written by Frank Herbert and the continuation of the series by Frank’s son, Brian Herbert, along with Kevin J. Anderson.

The WarnerMedia streaming platform has been ramping up its series orders. The service recently picked up drama Tokyo Vice, starring Ansel Elgort, and also has Love Life, a romantic comedy anthology series starring and executive produced by Anna Kendrick and Gremlins animated series.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/dune-th...ce-1202630479/
shivaji likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-20-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
The Bene Gessetti were a very interesting bunch of chicks. Powerful mental skills, the Voice, and also quite adept in combat. Formidable indeed. The books the son wrote, I found less than interesting and abandoned them after a brief attempt.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-20-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6090 Post(s)
Liked: 6747
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
The Bene Gessetti were a very interesting bunch of chicks. Powerful mental skills, the Voice, and also quite adept in combat. Formidable indeed. The books the son wrote, I found less than interesting and abandoned them after a brief attempt.
The first book was a masterpiece. I managed to make it through the second, but gave up halfway through the third. Like many authors, Frank Herbert just got wordier and wordier and wordier and his editors became afraid to edit him. (See also: Tom Clancy) Never bothered with the son's take on his dad's legacy.

But this series sounds interesting. I presume HBO Max is available with an HBO cable subscription, so I'll probably watch.
locomo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-20-2019, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4127 Post(s)
Liked: 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
The first book was a masterpiece. I managed to make it through the second, but gave up halfway through the third. Like many authors, Frank Herbert just got wordier and wordier and wordier and his editors became afraid to edit him. (See also: Tom Clancy) Never bothered with the son's take on his dad's legacy.
Herbert's last couple of Dune books were pretty bad. Specifically, he introduced some really juvenile and sexist things regarding the Bene Gesserit and a rival group called the Honored Matres, who had the power to enslave men with their magical vaginas (really). I truly hope this series does not plan to go that route.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-20-2019, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked: 2335
I remember re-watching Dune when I was older and thinking how great this would be as a huge universe with all kinds of movies, shows, novels, etc. Then I read the novels.....

I don't think that anymore.

post #6 of 8 Old 08-20-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
I made it through the first 6 books of the series when a teenager and liked them well enough in the day. I have read the 1st several times.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-20-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1721
I thought the first 3 books were the best with the first being the really great work.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-20-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4541 Post(s)
Liked: 4096
I'm really looking forward to Denis Villeneuve's Dune movie coming out in December 2020...this new series has potential but with Disney+ coming out in November these streaming services are really starting to add up...if HBO Max is around $16 as rumored and it has 4K/HDR support I might give it a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page