Survivor: Island of the Idols CBS HD 9/25/2019 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #31 of 146 Old 09-27-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 859
I would hope that the mentors have a set list of “skills” that they will review with the contestants so that they don’t influence the game based on the knowledge they are gleaning from talking with others and the tribal councils. Perhaps they can give someone a pep talk or tell them to dial it back a bit if the person is playing too hard. But, for sure, they shouldn’t be telling someone “hey it looks like so and so is gunning for you, so watch out.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 146 Old 09-27-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 247
.. I doubt it will all be Fire, fishing and knot tying lessons ....
We shall see ....
post #33 of 146 Old 09-27-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 2160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
... Not sure how I feel about the idea for the island girl to make up that Urn story ....
As soon as others go to the island, they will know she's full of *it, and more fodder to think she has a power to be flushed out or make her a target ....
I agree. It seemed like the thing to be honest with and tell the truth on. Tell them about Rob & Sandra and that they taught you how to make fire. I'd even tell about the challenge. They offered me a 3 TC immunity idol if I could be Rob in fire making. He kicked my ass and I'm going to be getting a penalty due to losing. I'd probably keep the penalty as an unknown though and say it was forthcoming. After TC tell them when you went back to vote that there was a note that you lost your vote. Try to give a scare of the unknown.

Other are going to be experiencing it in a couple days and it's going to come out. So lying is going to make you look shady and make them think you have an advantage. You've also not likely to be going back to the island soon. Telling the truth disarms and limits what the players that follow you can say. If they come back not willing to say what was taught, the challenge, etc. they would be painting a target on their back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
The older lady making fire immediately was a nice touch on her part, I don't know if that will keep her in the game any longer length of time, but she seems like a real fighter that may have a good game plan ..
It was a nice touch and made her look good from the start. I think what really helped her though is hooking the grappling hook on first throw and giving the tribe a lead. Showing that you're not a liability and possibly an asset in challenges is big early on.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 146 Old 09-27-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here’s an interview with Boston Rob and Sandra discussing their roles in the game.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/17/survivo...he-idols-cast/

Another interesting tidbit that Jeff threw out in another article...BR and Sandra are not the only Idols that will appear this season.

Last edited by hooked01; 09-27-2019 at 04:30 PM.
post #35 of 146 Old 09-27-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
Another interesting tidbit that Jeff threw out...BR and Sandra are not the only Idols that will appear this season.

I didn't see where Jeff said that.

Nobody so far mentioned lack of eye candy Survivor is known for.
post #36 of 146 Old 09-27-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post

Sorry, Jeff’s statement is in another article from the same site.
post #37 of 146 Old 09-27-2019, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3026 Post(s)
Liked: 3969
Quote:
Thinking it, I am ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #38 of 146 Old 09-27-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 2996
Quote:

Actually refreshing, I rather have interesting people, eye candy is always a google away...lol

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #39 of 146 Old 10-02-2019, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Dayum, Molly got owned, but at least she admitted she was humbled.
John dhein likes this.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #40 of 146 Old 10-03-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is the idol from the island good for all the next three councils? In the past, with idols that expire, they were stated to expire. This new one just said it was good for three times. Like it could be used more than once.
post #41 of 146 Old 10-03-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is the idol from the island good for all the next three councils? In the past, with idols that expire, they were stated to expire. This new one just said it was good for three times. Like it could be used more than once.
The way that Rob first described it, I got the impression that it was valid for 3 tribals but it could only be used once.
John dhein likes this.
post #42 of 146 Old 10-04-2019, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Quote:
No they said she could use it once during the next three tribal councils, just meant it was good for 3 councils and then it could no longer be played. Originally she had to use it once during the next two but got an extension.

post #43 of 146 Old 10-04-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, Rob said "either of next two", then "one of the next three".

I was thinking of prev week, when he said "if you win, you earn an idol good for your next two TCs". That's open to interpretation. Two ways. Your next two could be far apart timewise.
post #44 of 146 Old 10-04-2019, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

I have to say that I believe the Mentoring Session with Kellee actually did help her .. besides getting the Idol, this was a good way to teach listening, which is an important part of the Game ..

I think we have 2 Idols in play now and it's only been 2 episodes .. "You get an Idol, you get an Idol, Everybody gets an Idol .."

This Idol usage thing is a bit confusing .. Rob says :: "Idol good for either of the next two tribal councils" .. then he sweetens the deal and I thought he said "the Idol would be good for three tribal councils" .. does that mean she can use it and keep it .. ?? Or did I not hear what Rob said right .. ??

Then, hiding the Idol in her hair bun was a great idea ..

And, I don't understand why Vokai had such a hard time keeping that ladder up .. I mean, it's not like they were holding 300 pounds ..

Calling Molly the new Parvati could have been the kiss of death .. Molly even looked a bit like her ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #45 of 146 Old 10-05-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought he said "the Idol would be good for three tribal councils" .. does that mean she can use it and keep it .. ?? Or did I not hear what Rob said right .. ??
His exact was "one of the next three".
post #46 of 146 Old 10-05-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Calling Molly the new Parvati could have been the kiss of death .. Molly even looked a bit like her ..
Until that comment was made, it never occurred to me how much Molly's smile and demeanor were reminiscent of Parvati. When the other player said that, I looked at her closer and immediately saw the similarity.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #47 of 146 Old 10-09-2019, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 740
The idol in your pocket walk of shame, not as bad as the time Eric was talked into giving up his immunity and then getting voted out. But hey, its not the first time we have seen this play out.
Hughmc likes this.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #48 of 146 Old 10-10-2019, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

From what I saw, Vince really had no reason to be worried .. the Women's Alliance seemed to be backing him ..

The woman with the blond weave/cornrows :: How can that be maintained so neatly and cleanly this far into the game .. ??

And, can someone explain to me how giving Vince "stealth training" to steal fire had any real Game usefulness .. ?? Has anyone, in any Season ever stole fire from another Tribe, because I sure don't remember it ..
John dhein likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #49 of 146 Old 10-10-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

How come they didn’t show Vince coming back from the Island of the Idols? Why was there no discussion of his time there and why didn’t he talk to Elizabeth?
post #50 of 146 Old 10-10-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From what I saw, Vince really had no reason to be worried .. the Women's Alliance seemed to be backing him ..

The woman with the blond weave/cornrows :: How can that be maintained so neatly and cleanly this far into the game .. ??

And, can someone explain to me how giving Vince "stealth training" to steal fire had any real Game usefulness .. ?? Has anyone, in any Season ever stole fire from another Tribe, because I sure don't remember it ..
The cornrows are probably the best way to keep her hair neat. They’re braided pretty tight, so they’re not going going anywhere unless they come loose at the ends.

The “stealth training” was to teach you to keep your emotions in check under stressful situations. You could see that Rob thought it was pretty silly as he’s holding the stick that Vince and Sandra were crawling under.

I wonder if the sequence of the “lessons” were determined ahead of time or they decide which one to give to the person arriving on IoI.
post #51 of 146 Old 10-10-2019, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
You could see that Rob thought it was pretty silly as he’s holding the stick that Vince and Sandra were crawling under.

I wonder if the sequence of the “lessons” were determined ahead of time or they decide which one to give to the person arriving on IoI.
Whatever the lesson, there is way too much screen time for Sandra and BR. They have their millions...move on.
post #52 of 146 Old 10-10-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes ... This week's lesson was a bit "silly" in terms of actual usefulness in the real game ..
They simply sent him off at night on a goose chase after making him crawl in the sand ....
I also noticed how the episode was apparently edited in a way that did not address at all how he returned, and what exactly he surely Must have told tribemates regarding what he saw and did on that island ....
Did he continue the "urn" nonsense, or say something else... did he converse with the other member who went there?
post #53 of 146 Old 10-10-2019, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Quote:
How come they didn’t show Vince coming back from the Island of the Idols? Why was there no discussion of his time there and why didn’t he talk to Elizabeth?
Because they can only show about 40 minutes from 3 full days. Probably nothing exciting happened or they never talked about it with each other, etc. and felt it wasn't worth putting on the air.

post #54 of 146 Old 10-10-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Because they can only show about 40 minutes from 3 full days. Probably nothing exciting happened or they never talked about it with each other, etc. and felt it wasn't worth putting on the air.
That’s strange. Even if there were no fireworks, he was only the second person to go, so the rest of his tribe must have wanted to know what happened. What did he tell them about his experience? He obviously hid his idol and didn’t tell anyone about it. Did he even talk to Elizabeth? I figure that would have been a “bonding” opportunity for them.
post #55 of 146 Old 10-10-2019, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

I feel pretty safe in saying Vince blabbed something about his Island time .. how could he not .. ?? At this point, players are starved for any new info / news about anything .. Rob and Sandra just sucked up all the spare screen time ..

Uncle Willie

post #56 of 146 Old 10-11-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

.... I wonder if the dynamic will change once Rob and Sandra are "outed" ...
Once everyone on the Tribe knows that they are on that island, will they continue to "hide" during tribals, or just come out & sit there in view ..?
* More interesting, will Rob and Sandra be at the Final Tribal .. It would be very interesting if, After the jurors ask questions and voted, Rob & Sandra get to stand up and give their opinions on the finalists' game play ....
post #57 of 146 Old 10-15-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here’s an article addressing if the contestants are required to keep IoI a secret. Plus what happened when Vince returned.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...he-idols.html/

Quote:
The show did not air Vince’s return to camp, but he discussed it in an interview with Rob Cesternino. After spending 24 hours away from everyone, Vince returned and said Elizabeth greeted him immediately and tried to talk, but he wanted to wait.

Vince explained he told everyone he had a challenge where he had to memorize five sets of tiles with different animals on them, and then find them after they were scattered across the Island.

Because he couldn’t complete the mission, he said he had to sleep outside all night with no shelter.
post #58 of 146 Old 10-17-2019, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Noura, who seems a bit of a whacko, and should at least have enough of a brain to know she's not currently a target .. thinks she's making a big move .. ?? Rob said it right .. "Noura is the last person you'd want as a Caller" .. and the Tribe knew it .. and the Tribe pulled a really smart move, that I never would have thought of, by making her sit out the Challenge .. had Noura not fabricated her big lie, instead volunteering to call prior to the Challenge, she may have gotten the job .. and, Jason did an excellent job as Caller ..

Sometimes, though, being the worst player can keep you around for some time ..

Interesting read on Winners ::

https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/16/survivo...-keep-winning/
curtlots likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #59 of 146 Old 10-18-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Noura, who seems a bit of a whacko, and should at least have enough of a brain to know she's not currently a target .. thinks she's making a big move .. ?? Rob said it right .. "Noura is the last person you'd want as a Caller"
Then why, Rob, did you specifically give her the task "lesson" of insisting the Tribe make her the caller?
It's as if they aren't really "lessons" to help , but rather just random "silly" tasks that win you a prize .... AND it seems that Rob MUSt offer the task , even if he thinks it's detrimental to the player and tribe .... He apparently has no input/authority to change/swap/alter the producer's pre-determined task for that week , after meeting with the castaway..
I'd like it if we see Rob & Sandra , after talking with the arriving Islander, go off & then strategize with each other, as to "which" task / lesson , from a group of them, is best suited for That Particular Islander . ...
We, as the audience, don't need to see all the tasks, they could be on a board facing away from the viewer, for example ...

Last edited by MeatChicken; 10-19-2019 at 10:25 AM.
post #60 of 146 Old 10-18-2019, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

I'd guess that the "mentoring" is all pre-planned .. neither Rob nor Sandra has any real input .. also, they don't seem to give Sandra that much of a role, Rob always seems to take the lead .. I'll add that I also have no idea if Rob and Sandra actually get to see any Tribal interactions other than at Council .. although the crew could be giving Rob/Sandra some footage before they meet with the next Contestant ..

Wondering if next week will be Tribe Swap or Merge .. ??

Uncle Willie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page