Survivor: Island of the Idols CBS HD 9/25/2019 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #61 of 146 Old 10-18-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 740
After seeing this last Sandra and Rob island thing, I just think they add nothing to the game. People are playing and blindsiding right and left, I call this new idea a fail, IMHO.
WS65711, DesertDog and Hughmc like this.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 146 Old 10-19-2019, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post
After seeing this last Sandra and Rob island thing, I just think they add nothing to the game. People are playing and blindsiding right and left, I call this new idea a fail, IMHO.
What he said ^^^
post #63 of 146 Old 10-19-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 859
The advice they gave this week was actually good and not that obvious: manipulating people either through empathy or coercion. Noura only took note of the part about bullying other people into getting her way, ignoring the more subtle approaches. But that’s just her personality anyway. It could be the editing, but it seems like she is a very unpleasant person.

That excuse she came up with to make them designate her as the caller was so pathetic. I guess there would have been no way her tribe would have made her the caller anyway, but still that was a really poor attempt. Brilliant move for the tribe to make her sit the challenge out. I would have liked to have seen the discussion around that. So since they didn’t have to go to tribal council, does that mean she’s off the hook for the lost vote or does it carry over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 146 Old 10-19-2019, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3026 Post(s)
Liked: 3969
Quote:
Yeah, I have to agree .. it takes away screen time for the actual game .. I guess the Producers just figured that they could bring a little "Star Power" without having a "Returning Players" season .. and Sandra and Rob get to cash in ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #65 of 146 Old 10-19-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
So since they didn’t have to go to tribal council, does that mean she’s off the hook for the lost vote or does it carry over?

Rob said "for the next tribal council", not "for your next..". But being heavily edited, he could have clarified later.

Preview had "drop your buffs". Seems too early for merge, so I guess it's a swap to new groups of eight.
post #66 of 146 Old 10-19-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
Rob said "for the next tribal council", not "for your next..". But being heavily edited, he could have clarified later.
Too bad!
post #67 of 146 Old 10-21-2019, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Another person leaves with an idol in their pocket. Unbelievable. After how they talked at tribal (and I know we don't see all of it), I would have played it just based on a few comments they made. Plus when you play one another gets added back so its not like its your last chance to ever have one.

post #68 of 146 Old 10-24-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am about why they sent Tom home. I guess its like Rob said, time to never win a challenge.

post #69 of 146 Old 10-24-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess the other group is thinking ahead to the merge and wanted to eliminate a member of the other tribe that is more likely to remain loyal to his original tribe. Dean has a connection with Kellee and he was blindsided by his own tribe the previous tribal and Karishma will vote out anyone who isn’t her. Plus they can lose twice more and still remain intact.
post #70 of 146 Old 10-24-2019, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Karishma just needs to go .. she has absolutely no Game, social / challenge / etc .. yet she acts like she's some big time social player ..

I don't understand the Tom vote out .. of course, historically, older players tend to go quickly .. yet, the whole idea behind pre-merge is to get there and win individual .. Tom is no individual immunity Monster, IMO .. but he sure as hell beat Karishma when it came to contributing to Tribal Immunity ..

Cheers, no Rob/Sandra BS mentoring time, thus more actual Game ..

And, I am giving a little more respect to Noura .. she won't win, but she is a fighter ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #71 of 146 Old 10-24-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 247
A continuing disappointment with the Rob/Sandra Isl of Idols this week, & how the show-runners are handling the whole Isl Idols aspect ...
At a time, when arguably a tribe member would need advice , lesson, ( & possibly an idol), from experts the most, right after a new merge, the producers have No player go to the island?? What a missed opportunity...
As far as Tom's vote-out, I get it , it was sort of long-term thinking... he was no beast at challenges, and they seem to have plenty of players OK with doing camp chores...
So, since they feel they already have Karishma's vote in their pocket, she surely dislikes her old tribe, & Tom seemed the most likely to flip on them at a merge, ..AND since the other tribe is 50/50 & they still had a numbers worry .... get rid of Tom.
It could almost be looked at as a "double" win ... They get rid of a member of the other tribe , AND also Gain an additional member of theirs ( Karishma), which could be useful at a merge or if tribes get split again before a full merge .... Getting rid of Karishma doesn't accomplish both goals ..
As far as challenges, they vary, and there's a very good chance Karishma will be doing a low impact or non physical aspect of a challenge anyway ..
post #72 of 146 Old 10-24-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 2160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
A continuing disappointment with the Rob/Sandra Isl of Idols this week, & how the show-runners are handling the whole Isl Idols aspect ...
At a time, when arguably a tribe member would need advice , lesson, ( & possibly an idol), from experts the most, right after a new merge, the producers have No player go to the island?? What a missed opportunity...
As far as Tom's vote-out, I get it , it was sort of long-term thinking... he was no beast at challenges, and they seem to have plenty of players OK with doing camp chores...
So, since they feel they already have Karishma's vote in their pocket, she surely dislikes her old tribe, & Tom seemed the most likely to flip on them at a merge, ..AND since the other tribe is 50/50 & they still had a numbers worry .... get rid of Tom.
It could almost be looked at as a "double" win ... They get rid of a member of the other tribe , AND also Gain an additional member of theirs ( Karishma), which could be useful at a merge or if tribes get split again before a full merge .... Getting rid of Karishma doesn't accomplish both goals ..
As far as challenges, they vary, and there's a very good chance Karishma will be doing a low impact or non physical aspect of a challenge anyway ..
Karishma has shown that she can't do the non physical aspects either though. It's all good that they're thinking about numbers post merge but what they don't seem to be thinking about is getting to the merge. There's probably 3 more evictions before the merge and they just upped the chances greatly that they'll loose them all. If that happens, Karishma flipping won't matter and one of their group of 5 is gone.

Basically they only need to win 1 of the next 3 to go to the merge with at least even original tribe numbers. If they kept Tom they would have a better chance of winning. Tom and Dean could have been picked off at any of the next 3 tribals and they could use the tanking strategy after their first immunity win to go to the merge with numbers. They're playing checkers, not chess.
John dhein likes this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #73 of 146 Old 11-01-2019, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Kind of a nail biter at Tribal this week .. I was almost convinced Elaine would get the boot ..

I thought the Jamal and Jack situation was great, Jamal taking an opportunity to make it a learning experience for Jack .. also, likely a good game play move on Jamal's part ..

And the mentor session was very very short, so not much actual Game time was sucked up ..

All in all, a good episode ..

Uncle Willie

post #74 of 146 Old 11-01-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Why get rid of Jason and not someone else for the other tribe?? I know they can’t show the pre-tribal discussions to not ruin the surprise, but they probably won’t backtrack next week to show how the decision was made.

Last edited by hooked01; 11-01-2019 at 11:56 AM.
post #75 of 146 Old 11-01-2019, 12:12 PM

A few things:

I found Rob and Sandra to be useless this week. She could have gotten the same thing from a letter. Rob repeatedly says that everyone that comes there learns a lesson. What lesson was Elaine's this time? They didn't teach her anything, all she had to do was grab the envelope under the table. Her lesson how to grab something without someone seeing you?

I find the whole Rob/Sandra thing getting old fast and just not worth it. Seems like a ratings ploy more than anything else.

Why is everyone on the other side of the vote so mad at him for voting with his tribe? They are like, Don't trust him, etc. What was he supposed to say, no and take a chance? He played the game and tricked them. He didn't flop, etc. he voted with his original tribe like every other single person in the game. I guess they are just bitter.

Getting a little tired of challenges that they have to shoot a ball into a hoop or use some kind of launch system or solve a puzzle. Seems like that is the only three things we get anymore. They need to think of new challenges.

post #76 of 146 Old 11-01-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am okay with Rob and Sandra. They are entertaining enough that it’s not really dead air. The downside is you see less strategizing in the tribes. But there have been episodes from other seasons where people said that nothing really happened because teams and alliances were pretty much set so no one was trying to shake things up. And do we really need to see more of Noura or Karishma?

The lesson this week was being able to make split second decisions and dealing with the rewards and consequences. It was wasted on Elaine because she’s impulsive by nature. Someone less bold would have hesitated or wanted more details before making the decision. And maybe Rob might have sweetened the pot if Elaine had hemmed and hawed.

The challenges in general have become repetitive. Puzzles, mazes, and obstacles. Gone are the head to head physical confrontations. Too many injuries probably.

Last edited by hooked01; 11-01-2019 at 01:00 PM.
post #77 of 146 Old 11-01-2019, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Seems like a ratings ploy more than anything else.

Getting a little tired of challenges that they have to shoot a ball into a hoop or use some kind of launch system or solve a puzzle. Seems like that is the only three things we get anymore. They need to think of new challenges.
It's all a ratings grab .. while I don't follow ratings on any show, I think "Survivor" in particular is a show where each season, the producers feel like they need to come up with something .. remember "Exile Island" .. ?? Where instead of revealing the idol before voting, the owner must draw it when he/she has enough votes to eliminate him/her ..

And yeah, Challenges have gotten a bit boring .. the Game has morphed more and more into Social play ..

Bring back "Schmergen Brawl" ..

WilliamR likes this.

Uncle Willie

Last edited by mgkdragn; 11-01-2019 at 02:39 PM.
post #78 of 146 Old 11-01-2019, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Or the one where they were pulling meat off a spit with their mouths and spitting it in to bowls .. they were grabbing it off the ground and from each others teeth and then the reward was the spit covered meat ..

Oh, yeah ..

Uncle Willie

post #79 of 146 Old 11-01-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
A few things:

I found Rob and Sandra to be useless this week. She could have gotten the same thing from a letter. Rob repeatedly says that everyone that comes there learns a lesson. What lesson was Elaine's this time? They didn't teach her anything, all she had to do was grab the envelope under the table. Her lesson how to grab something without someone seeing you?

I find the whole Rob/Sandra thing getting old fast and just not worth it. Seems like a ratings ploy more than anything else.
Yes, the Rob/Sandra angle as-is, is a very watered down aspect of the game .... The "lessons" are weak and arguably effect little of that player/outcome .. the "challenges" could simply be a sentence or 2 on a note they find......
However, the Rob/Sandra angle IS a missed opportunity for the show ...
They should have let Rob and Sandra REALLY give advise and lessons, and effect the outcome of the game ....
Perhaps even pit Rob against Sandra , they each have equal access to see tribals and challenges, but would be given much wider latitude to "really" mentor, lesson and reward the players that see them ... They get a bonus if one of "their" players makes it to final tribal or something ...
post #80 of 146 Old 11-01-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I must have been dreaming, but I thought I saw something about Rob building the shelter on the island.

He probably got an extra $50K just filming that bit. Producers should be ashamed.
post #81 of 146 Old 11-01-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wonder if Rob and Sandra are really living on that island. I would be requesting some very nice digs to come back to the show.

post #82 of 146 Old 11-02-2019, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I wonder if Rob and Sandra are really living on that island. I would be requesting some very nice digs to come back to the show.
Unless there is a 5 star resort located within golf cart distance of the beach ..

.. there is absolutely no way Sandra and Rob are living in any homemade shelter .. and, I'm sure when the meetings get filmed, they then change into the "prop clothes" .. here's a taste of what the rather large Crew have to deal with ..

https://survivor.fandom.com/wiki/Production

Uncle Willie

post #83 of 146 Old 11-02-2019, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
Yes, the Rob/Sandra angle as-is, is a very watered down aspect of the game .... The "lessons" are weak and arguably effect little of that player/outcome .. the "challenges" could simply be a sentence or 2 on a note they find......
However, the Rob/Sandra angle IS a missed opportunity for the show ...
They should have let Rob and Sandra REALLY give advise and lessons, and effect the outcome of the game ....
Perhaps even pit Rob against Sandra , they each have equal access to see tribals and challenges, but would be given much wider latitude to "really" mentor, lesson and reward the players that see them ... They get a bonus if one of "their" players makes it to final tribal or something ...
I don't think outside interference by intentionally allowing the Mentors to pick favorites and further coach contestants is a good idea at all .. if that's what you're saying ..

Uncle Willie

post #84 of 146 Old 11-02-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Rudy dead at age 91.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/11/02/oldes...egend-dead-91/

post #85 of 146 Old 11-02-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hate to say it, but I’d rather see more of Rob and Sandra interacting than the actual tribe members. Maybe it’s the lack of screen time, but no one has any personality, charisma or even stands out. Maybe they can have some web extras of them like the Ponderosa videos. They have enough experience to ham it up for the cameras. As far as I know, they are living in their shelter and living off rice like the regular castaways. But I could be wrong. Neither one seem to be losing weight.
post #86 of 146 Old 11-02-2019, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting. I thought Ponderosa was where the top people stayed (Probst, Rob etc). Apparently, they stay at "base camp". I guess Ponderosa is quite a distance from where the filming is. Either way, Rob and Sandra are in air conditioned settings, and didn't build any shelter.
post #87 of 146 Old 11-04-2019, 04:18 AM

Quote:
My favorite survivor character of all time! That is sad news.
John dhein likes this.

post #88 of 146 Old 11-06-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here’s an interview with Jason who was voted out last week. He explains the decision to sit Noura out at the blindfold challenge.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/31/survivo...ols-interview/

In another article, Rob talks about staying on the IoI for the whole time except for tribal councils.
post #89 of 146 Old 11-07-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Give Jamal the million, his idol being played for Noura made none of her votes count. Strong move, the guy has got game.

post #90 of 146 Old 11-08-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Give Jamal the million, his idol being played for Noura made none of her votes count. Strong move, the guy has got game.
Not sure I understand what you mean by made none of her votes count.

Another challenge, another puzzle. Snooze fest. They really need to think of something else. Only highlight was the finish, probably closest one I can remember seeing in a long time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page