Survivor: Island of the Idols CBS HD 9/25/2019 - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

post #91 of 198 Old 11-08-2019, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Not sure I understand what you mean by made none of her votes count.

Another challenge, another puzzle. Snooze fest. They really need to think of something else. Only highlight was the finish, probably closest one I can remember seeing in a long time.
He used the idol on her and she didn't even get any votes. I was poking fun at him for wasting it on her.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 198 Old 11-08-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post
He used the idol on her and she didn't even get any votes. I was poking fun at him for wasting it on her.
Why did he even think she was going to get any votes? Supposedly they were all going to vote for Dean. More game talk that we never get to see. And why did someone else (don’t remember who) vote for Jack? It would have only taken one vote to eliminate Jack once Dean played the idol on himself.
post #93 of 198 Old 11-08-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2082 Post(s)
Liked: 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
Why did he even think she was going to get any votes? Supposedly they were all going to vote for Dean. More game talk that we never get to see. And why did someone else (don’t remember who) vote for Jack? It would have only taken one vote to eliminate Jack once Dean played the idol on himself.
So that she looks like she voted the way the team wanted her to for when Jeff reads the vote, otherwise they would have been like who voted for so and so. Plus she can then use it as leverage at final tribal (if she makes it) that she orchestrated the whole thing while still voting with the group.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 198 Old 11-13-2019, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I feel really bad for Dan, what I saw tonight was disgusting.
I WANT MORE and scottiemon like this.

post #95 of 198 Old 11-14-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 511
I have never been as pissed off over a television show as I was last night.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #96 of 198 Old 11-14-2019, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Hmmm. I saw it as a learning experience where everyone needs to look deeply within themselves.
post #97 of 198 Old 11-14-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
Hmmm. I saw it as a learning experience where everyone needs to look deeply within themselves.

I saw it as exploiting a situation that was blow way out of proportion. It seemed pretty clear if they just talked to Dan he would have told them he meant no harm.
WS65711 and scottiemon like this.

post #98 of 198 Old 11-14-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 2445
Quote:
I saw it as exploiting a situation that was blow way out of proportion. It seemed pretty clear if they just talked to Dan he would have told them he meant no harm.
Kellee had hold him before and he continued. He's a 48 year old talent manager in Hollywood. Being touchy feely is probably the norm for him.

My biggest issue with the whole thing was Janet being thrown under the bus. She was trying to do the right thing and protect the girls that came to her. Then they completely abandoned her and lied about it. Allegations like that should be weaponized as game play like they did.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #99 of 198 Old 11-14-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 1248
Its the men behind the camera who screwed up, not excluding Dan, of course. The crew saw and filmed it happening, we saw and heard the discomfort of the girls in question. The producer should have called him to the side, quite a few shows ago and just quietly said, "keep your hands off the girls, it makes them uncomfortable and it just makes for creepy tv as well. I hit the FF through most of the last tribal as I found it tedious. I also didn't like what happened to Janet.
DesertDog and Panson like this.
post #100 of 198 Old 11-14-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ratings boost next week or decline?

post #101 of 198 Old 11-14-2019, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 358
This season has to be a record for the number of knuckleheads who were voted out with idols in their pockets. If you have 2 idols, why would you not play 1?

Husband, Scientist, Miami Dolphins Fan.
post #102 of 198 Old 11-14-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Its the men behind the camera who screwed up, not excluding Dan, of course. The crew saw and filmed it happening, we saw and heard the discomfort of the girls in question. The producer should have called him to the side, quite a few shows ago and just quietly said, "keep your hands off the girls, it makes them uncomfortable and it just makes for creepy tv as well. I hit the FF through most of the last tribal as I found it tedious. I also didn't like what happened to Janet.
Good point on production. They didn't handle it well. Kellee is crying and complaining in the confessional and the off camera producer says to come to them if there's an issue. Isn't that what she was doing right then? Either they didn't handle that right or the editing of that confessional was bad. Either way a screw up by production.

Quote:
Ratings boost next week or decline?
I'm thinking slight decline next week and then bouncing back to normal.
shivaji likes this.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #103 of 198 Old 11-14-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It does seem rather strange that a guy in the talent industry, who kinda looks like Harvey gets a story line going about inappropriate touching.
shivaji likes this.

Last edited by WaTaGuMp; 11-14-2019 at 02:26 PM.
post #104 of 198 Old 11-14-2019, 02:29 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 389
My wife and I have watched Survivor since Season 1, Episode 1. Survivor used to be entertainment. Now with last night's "me too" episode on top of the "white privilege" episode of a few weeks ago, it has ceased to be entertaining. Just a few short seasons ago Survivor was awash with eye-candy. I suppose now CBS is trying to atone for that mortal sin that they committed in seasons past?

Those girls weren't nearly as deeply bothered by Dan as they led Janet to believe. But they didn't care.. If Dan was going home then THEY weren't. So they used "me too" for their own personal gain. In truth, I suppose that likely happens sometimes in real-life too. So Jeff was in fact correct when he implied that Survivor was mimicking a real-life situation. But CBS lapped it all up. Black screen with solemn white text and everything. Too bad someone didn't hack the broadcast at that moment with some delicious bikini (or less) shots from seasons past. The pot calling the kettle black!

So anyway. Survivor is not entertainment any more. We'll watch the rest of this season, since we're already invested with hating everybody except Dean. But I'm thinking this season will be our last.
Panson likes this.

To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #105 of 198 Old 11-14-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Most of the people talking about last night on the interwebz are on Dans side.
WS65711 and I WANT MORE like this.

post #106 of 198 Old 11-15-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Most of the people talking about last night on the interwebz are on Dans side.
It depends on which corner of the interwebz you frequent.

There is no doubt that Dan is creepy. You don’t touch women you just met like that. He didn’t grab anyone by the ***** but Kellee had already told him that she didn’t like him touching her at the beginning of the season. Maybe the other women didn’t think it was a big deal or maybe they have learned to grin and bear it so as not to rock the boat, but that should have been enough for him to realize that he needed to cut it out. Especially since he knows that cameras are on them 24x7. And I thought it was fake how he acted all offended and shocked when Janet brought it up and then at tribal council because the producers had already warned him and had a talk to all the tribe about respecting other people’s boundaries. And his response showed that he didn’t really think that he was doing anything wrong because he was defending himself. “I work in the entertainment business and have female co-workers and never had any complaints, I have a wife and kids, etc.”

Perhaps he‘s truly an affectionate person, but don’t be that guy. Some people don’t like to be touched, just like some don’t like swearing or talking about sex or personal matters. If you know they are sensitive to that then you need to tone it down. Especially in a work environment or Survivor where you have to be in constant close proximity with other people. is he the boss that gives the women shoulder massages when they didn’t ask for them? Or “playfully” tickled their feet if they happen to have their shoes off (a la Missy)? If he’s the boss or someone they have to keep happy, these women are probably not going to speak up for fear of losing their job or a client.

On the flip side, Missy and Elizabeth using Kellee’s complaints and agreeing and amplifying them to get Dan out is totally wrong too. Now people (men) can use this as an example of women making things up to hurt them. Sure it was game play and strategy, but they can ruin someone’s life, not just their Survivor game, by doing this. They should have be been called out for that more strongly.

Last edited by hooked01; 11-15-2019 at 07:27 AM.
post #107 of 198 Old 11-15-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So it looks like Elizabeth and Missy (and Lauren) have been getting heat for what they did. They should have apologized to Dan too for smearing him and his reputation to further themselves in the game.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/11/14/survivo...-byrd-apology/

This pretty much sums it up

Quote:
Elizabeth Beisel and Missy Byrd found themselves at the center of controversy on Wednesday night’s episode of Survivor: Island of the Idols after they appeared to exaggerate (at best) or fabricate (at worst) their reactions to touching from fellow contestant Dan Spilo as a strategic move in the game.

Those actions not only served to undermine the legitimate concerns of Kellee Kim, who was the victim of inappropriate touching even after she asked Dan to stop, but Elizabeth and Missy ended voting with their alleged abuser and against the only true victim in Kellee. Caught in the collateral damage was Janet Carbin, as Elizabeth and Missy actively used Janet’s moral code against her and manipulated her motherly instincts for their own strategic gains by getting Janet to vote against Dan due to their ruse.
I WANT MORE likes this.
post #108 of 198 Old 11-15-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post
This season has to be a record for the number of knuckleheads who were voted out with idols in their pockets. If you have 2 idols, why would you not play 1?
Exactly! Play one if you’re getting a bad feeling and then the others will say “There’s no way that she has another one”. I don’t think Dean has told anyone else that it was Kellee who gave him the first idol so they wouldn’t get the impression that she is good at finding idols.
post #109 of 198 Old 11-15-2019, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3086 Post(s)
Liked: 4065
In my book, one of, if not the worst, episodes in Survivor history .. shame, shame, shame ..

And Jeff acting as Dr Phil just made it worse .. maybe Jeff wants his cancelled daytime TV Talk Show back ..
WS65711, shivaji, MikeKlim and 4 others like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #110 of 198 Old 11-15-2019, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
My wife and I have watched Survivor since Season 1, Episode 1. Survivor used to be entertainment. Now with last night's "me too" episode on top of the "white privilege" episode of a few weeks ago, it has ceased to be entertaining. Just a few short seasons ago Survivor was awash with eye-candy. I suppose now CBS is trying to atone for that mortal sin that they committed in seasons past?

Those girls weren't nearly as deeply bothered by Dan as they led Janet to believe. But they didn't care.. If Dan was going home then THEY weren't. So they used "me too" for their own personal gain. In truth, I suppose that likely happens sometimes in real-life too. So Jeff was in fact correct when he implied that Survivor was mimicking a real-life situation. But CBS lapped it all up. Black screen with solemn white text and everything. Too bad someone didn't hack the broadcast at that moment with some delicious bikini (or less) shots from seasons past. The pot calling the kettle black!

So anyway. Survivor is not entertainment any more. We'll watch the rest of this season, since we're already invested with hating everybody except Dean. But I'm thinking this season will be our last.

+1 I'm getting tired of this new version of 'woke' survivor where every other week is a nod to the 80's "on a very special episode". Jeff playing the 'wise overseer' of all things social commentary is getting tiresome as well. He may be a producer now, but the self-important attitude about the show's relevance as a "reflection of society" is getting old.

Just give us the game that's made it successful to begin with. Yes there have been incidents in the past--who can forget Sue Hawk's "Juefff" speech when a naked Richard Hatch invaded her personal space. And there was season 5 with Ghandia and Ted, where Ghandia claimed Ted made unwanted sexual advances toward her. Back then the show broadcast what happened, addressed it, and moved on. Now every other tribal council is a social commentary. All that's left is Jeff turning to the camera at the end of every episode a la Jerry Springer giving us a recap of the lessons learned and exhorting us to be kind to each other.

My family has watched since season one as well, but if this trend continues into next season or beyond, I think we're out.
WS65711 and grubadub like this.
post #111 of 198 Old 11-15-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 254
So what exactly was the idiotic penciled in fake " advantage " he made up & gave away? ..... I don't recall if they ever showed anyone reading it ...
post #112 of 198 Old 11-16-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
So what exactly was the idiotic penciled in fake " advantage " he made up & gave away? ..... I don't recall if they ever showed anyone reading it ...
It was a “Legacy Advantage” that he gave to Dean. Definition of an actual LA:

Quote:
The Legacy Advantage is a secret advantage that can only be used at certain Tribal Councils. If the castaway wielding the Legacy Advantage is eliminated any time earlier than the said day, the castaway must will it to another castaway still in the game. Through the player's final words confessional, the person voted out with the Legacy Advantage will state who will inherit the advantage note. The advantage would then be tucked by production inside the new owner's bag in private.[1] This goes on until the advantage's intended day of use, in which it can be played similarly to a Hidden Immunity Idol at that night's Tribal Council.
Totally unconvincing. I don’t know if he had to reveal it in front of everyone, but Jamal might have been able to pull it off if he gave it in secret to someone so that the whole tribe didn’t have a chance to discuss it. If the person he gave it to was in trouble then perhaps they would be desperate enough to hope that it was legit and use it. Giving it to Dean in front of everyone killed any chance that anyone would believe it. Especially Dean.

Again, not knowing what instructions/restrictions were given to Jamal, I would have left the parchment blank and given it in secret to someone you wanted to sabotage and tell them that it’s an extra vote that he had to give away and was giving it to that person to build a better bond between them.

Last edited by hooked01; 11-16-2019 at 07:41 AM.
post #113 of 198 Old 11-16-2019, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

The thing is, and I speak for myself only on this, the show is not a microcosm of Society at large .. if that were so, then lying, stealing, deception and general chicanery would be the order of the day for the Society at large .. so, constantly trumpeting that as a draw for the show is just plain absurd and wrong .. but, I guess it sounds nice, or at least somebody on the Production side thinks it sounds nice ..

Now, "Outwit, Outplay, Outlast" seems to continue to devolve to "use any means at your disposal to carry forth your agenda" .. the lack of any degree of Honor, which has been exhibited in the past, is or has flown out the window .. and we, as the viewing fans, are supposed to chalk that up to "a Reflection of Society" ..

It's a game where contestants have, in many cases in the past, made it a point to state "I would never be this way in real life, but this is a Game .. "
shivaji and MikeKlim like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #114 of 198 Old 11-17-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked: 2386
Lots of thoughtful posts. Survivor's obviously evolved to something more than a game. Maybe its end has come.

What to do going forward or winding up? Lengthy huddles happening with CBS, legal departments, creators, producers. Afterall, this is the network of Charlie Rose, Leslie Moonves, Michael Weatherly, Jeff Fager, etc.

Perceived, real, reality can be equally damaging.

Related:

https://www.tvguide.com/news/survivo...sment-warning/

(Disclosure: TV Guide is owned by CBS Interactive, a division of CBS Corporation)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/b...arassment.html

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo

Last edited by Panson; 11-17-2019 at 09:51 AM.
post #115 of 198 Old 11-21-2019, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 2082 Post(s)
Liked: 2686
Jeff Probst says changes on Survivor are coming after inappropriate touching fallout

https://ew.com/tv/2019/11/21/survivo...ng-episode-10/

post #116 of 198 Old 11-22-2019, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

And, once again, we are treated to the "Dr Probst Life Lesson Confessional Tribal Council" ..

I don't know about you folks, but the Idol Karishma found almost seemed planted just for her .. from a pure Entertainment standpoint, Noura is the most entertaining player in the Game right now .. Elaine comes in a close second ..

Based on the events of last week, I was kind of glad Janet did not get the boot this week .. Missy was a good choice, IMO .. also, I don't recall hugging and extended good byes from a voted out contestant in the past, but I could be wrong

Uncle Willie

post #117 of 198 Old 11-22-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 254
There's something Blah, or missing from this season's alliances..
I can't put my finger on it to describe, sure there's a loose group of alliance members, but these characters don't seem to gel, no one is a clear, smart standout .. perhaps the odds happen to have made this season the one where most of those that would have been the really interesting strategists all got voted out already ...
We shall see...
shivaji likes this.
post #118 of 198 Old 11-22-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
There's something Blah, or missing from this season's alliances..
I can't put my finger on it to describe, sure there's a loose group of alliance members, but these characters don't seem to gel, no one is a clear, smart standout .. perhaps the odds happen to have made this season the one where most of those that would have been the really interesting strategists all got voted out already ...
We shall see...
Other than the "Karishma Is a Goat", there is not much consensus .. in fact, the Game has kind of gotten to the point, and not just this season, that there are no real alliances .. it's become very fluid, it seems to me ..

Uncle Willie

post #119 of 198 Old 11-22-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I don't know about you folks, but the Idol Karishma found almost seemed planted just for her ..
I felt this way too. Really, all of the idols this year have appeared to be ridiculously easy to find. It seems like they've all been at the base of a tree around a walkway and wrapped in something colorful that stands out. It's like they're not even trying to hide or camouflage them anymore.

#IHateNalleh
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #120 of 198 Old 11-22-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked: 1248
On a phycological note, finding an idol by happenstance is a lot more pleasant on ones psyche than frantically searching for it, possibly getting hurt climbing trees, scaling rock walls or putting ones hands in dark tree holes that may have a lurking scorpion or spider. As well, then being a pariah within the camp, when off on ones own too long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page